SOTD: why do you use that feature?

I am using the SOTD feature because...

• I want to show off

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want to strengthen the 'most worn' general ranking (all over BN) of my favourite scent

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Many Basenoters use the 'Scent of the Day' feature (aka SOTD) to log the fragrance currently wearing.

Why do you do so? Please answer the poll, and feel free to add a more detailed explanation, if you want to.

Edit: I forgot the most basic poll option: 'I like to manage my rotation better'.... How do I edit a poll? Help :confused:

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I voted for "I want to keep track of my wearings to see my less/most worn, in order to make sell/buy decisions."

That's the best fit. I like to track the number of wearings to see what I like most.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I voted for "I want to keep track of my wearings to see my less/most worn, in order to make sell/buy decisions."

I voted for this option as well. It's a great way to keep track of wears, patterns and habits. But ultimately it's a good way to chuck out those that you think you like but don't really wear as much and what to stock up on.

incense+heliotrope

Nov 20, 2017
Multiple reasons : manage rotations; ensure FBs are all being worn (and noted if not); keep better track of wearing samples/decants, since they are kept in a box, and 'out of sight, out of mind' applies.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Vote for "do it for a different reason" simply because, while keeping track and pushing the ranking of certain favorites further are two of the main reasons, still using the feature mostly to post a further easily visible and accessible link to further info about possible favorites of other fellow Basenoters

ClockworkAlice

We all smell here
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
No specific reason except that I really, really like various stats! I love keeping track of things I enjoy and see the results, numbers and patterns. I am also a long time user of last.fm, imdb, goodreads and similar sites where you can track what you've been listening, reading, watching. I also track my daily step count on mobile, track my expenses and spending habits (that one is actually useful) and also absolutely love Spotify's yearly wrapups and Google insights. It is amusing and gives insight into what actually moves you. Also I find checking how the numbers change slightly addictive - but in a harmless way :D

The sotd feature and stats are actually what made me stop lurking and actually join BN asap. I think I'm just that type of person who enjoys things like that.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Different reason: I don't do SOTD every day, only when I change from one scent to another. Couldn't care less about counting wearings or keeping track I do it because the perfume currently being worn shows up on all my posts so it can be seen by anyone (if they would care to know :smiley: ). Lots of times, the SOTD and the content of what I post are related. I also like seeing other people's posts showing the perfume they are wearing.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
I've rarely missed a day in 9 years posting to the SOTD feature. It's an ingrained habit that I find easy and pleasurable to do.

I use my monthly stats for tigushka's monthly Most Worn thread. I occasionally review my annual and all-time most worn stats to get a sense of the evolution my taste.

I especially enjoy seeing what other members are wearing. Sometimes I go a step further and check out their wardrobes. I've discovered many new perfumes this way.

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
I picked "do it for a different reason".... Don't do it every day and sometimes enter the last multiple days at one time, but the reason is my wardrobe is not built. So adding it ties in and gives no excuse to not update wardrobe. Same for samples tried. Eventually when it's more accurate can move on to the reviewing wears/usage that many others are voting for....

Civil to strangers

Mar 20, 2016
I don’t use it super often but I find using it does encourage me to wear fragrance more often ( I slowed down during the pandemic) and to wear things I haven’t in a while, or to revisit the same fragrance over several days for a deep dive. It’s probably the thing I use this website for most these days. I don’t write reviews and rarely post on the forums, I like to read other people’s thoughts and log what I’m wearing, sometimes buy used bottles.

sproaty

Feb 23, 2017
I sometimes use it as a basis for chosing my SOTD - I'll scan my wardrobe for what I haven't worn in a while. I seem to have some scents that I don't wear for 2-3 months and then wear them because I feel like I've not worn it in ages, but not necessarily that I want to. Lately though I've been choosing what to wear more based on what I want to wear that day instead of letting stats dictate.

I also use last worn/number of wears as a basis for selling some fragrances. Curiously though I'm at a weird place with my collection where I feel an attachment to all that I own and sorta feel like it'd be weird to sell some stuff, even if I just "like" the scent as opposed to a flat-out love. I never regret selling fragrances - I used to take decants of what I'd sell just in case I wanted to revisit the frag - but after 2 years I never went back to try and that I'd sold, so stopped doing that.

Lian

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
May 10, 2006
I do it to see if I'm getting as much enjoyment out of new bottles as I think I would/do and make future repurchase decisions off it. If I find it hard to wear a certain fragrance they do get rotated out more quickly. Basically, the data does help to change behaviour, for me anyway!

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Yes, I like to keep track of wearings but I have a couple of reasons why I do it. Love stats, seeing changes, seasonal and yearly patterns, etc. Also, I like to see how many wears I get out of a bottle when I finish them. It helps to calculate if I need backup bottles, too.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I like looking at how many times I wore this versus that, so that I can see if my favorites really are my favorites, or if my reaching for something else more often has shown me what I really like the most. I've actually used my logged wears to create a "dumb reach" shelf outside of my locked glass case that I use for before-bed wears or out-the-door wears when I don't give myself time to pick, so the SOTD feature has come quite in handy for me.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
I’ve tried to figure out why I do not seem to be drawn to the various SOTD features, and here are my best guesses:

...my daily fragrance choices are governed by intuition

...I don’t care much about stats

...I prefer to discuss perfumes in depth (when I have the time and opportunity) rather than tallying them each day

YMMV. These are MY preferences and not a critique of those who enjoy SOTD posts.

Latest News