Oct 25, 2007
Hotel Particulier by Herve Gambs

o.24552.jpg

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
Sigh...teardrop smells so good!

Had a rough start trying to choose my SotD (oh poor me) but after visiting Sample of the Day, I realized it's a Doe in the Snow day. Just takes a little bit of 4160 Tuesdays talk to get me craving this.(N.Cal:wink:)

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
Good afternoon. I am wearing a vegan-friendly, natural perfume from
Pacifica today (my son's girlfriend is a vegan and is convincing me to use more
animal friendly products!) - Mediterranean Fig. I do like this, despite the longevity
issues, and feel comfortable wearing it around people.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Welcome to Basenotes, Currant01! Happy birthday, clamnole (I hope you see this)!

I'm catching up on some old favorites. Today it's Back to Black.

Teardrop, I hope all goes well as you return to work. From your posts, it seems you enjoyed your time off by doing some fun activities.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
Speaking of aldehydes...

I, for many years, avoided aldehydes and for that matter anything from the house of Chanel. It was just an immediate turn off. To me, they reminded me of butter and hairspray. I'm trying to remember what actual fragrance, it was, that allowed me to enjoy aldehydes...I think it was White Linen by Estee Lauder. I just loved it. I wore the parfum which is a little less screechy, but still - that fragrance practically sings on skin. And someone on BN said 'Um...Mike WL has a huge dose of aldehyes!" and I was sort of shocked because prior to that I was always hating on the aldehydics. So I sort of had to reevaluate my comments. After that, I started testing aldehydic fragrances - and the previously mentioned La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens was one that immediately I loved and I 'got' the aldehydes - it sort of smelled like a wonderful artisinal root beer soda. So comforting. I also blind bought Chant de Aromes (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain. That has a lot of aldehydes - peach and florals and aldehydes. What I found out from CdA was that when I wore it in the hot weather we have here in Miami, it actually had a cooling effect (Why can't someone make a mint aldehyde scent? I'd love that!) From that point - all bets were off and now I find that I can wear aldehydes very comfortably and Chanel fragrances like No. 19 and No. 22 and Bois des Iles which all feature sparkling aldehydes I thoroughly enjoy now. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I list aldehydes as my Favorite Notes. But I like their effect. One more thing: Neil Morris fragrances are aldehydic - many of them. For some reason, I do not like his fragrances because of this. I have tried probably +10 of his scents and all of them just rub me the wrong way. So...obviously I do not like all kinds of aldehyes.

Today I'm in (the non-aldehydic):

Equipage (vintage) by Hermes

6387-1a443b1d-650-Equipage-Hermes-Vintage.jpg

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Good afternoon all !. :vrolijk_26: Welcome Currant01 :vrolijk_26:

Teardrop, all the best for today's return to the grindstone - ease yourself back in gradually fuelled by a healthy dose of caffeine :wink:

The Different Company - De Bachmakov.

423348.jpg

tdcbmvu_aedp10_01__2.jpg

Ealu

Mar 23, 2016
Serge Lutens Arabie on this slightly nippy Autumn day, perfect for thick knit cardigans and boots!
3b5fc71c70bc313441160cdc814c247a.jpg

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

thediamondsea

Jan 10, 2016
Speaking of aldehydes...

I, for many years, avoided aldehydes and for that matter anything from the house of Chanel. It was just an immediate turn off. To me, they reminded me of butter and hairspray. I'm trying to remember what actual fragrance, it was, that allowed me to enjoy aldehydes...I think it was White Linen by Estee Lauder. I just loved it. I wore the parfum which is a little less screechy, but still - that fragrance practically sings on skin. And someone on BN said 'Um...Mike WL has a huge dose of aldehyes!" and I was sort of shocked because prior to that I was always hating on the aldehydics. So I sort of had to reevaluate my comments. After that, I started testing aldehydic fragrances - and the previously mentioned La Myrrhe by Serge Lutens was one that immediately I loved and I 'got' the aldehydes - it sort of smelled like a wonderful artisinal root beer soda. So comforting. I also blind bought Chant de Aromes (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain. That has a lot of aldehydes - peach and florals and aldehydes. What I found out from CdA was that when I wore it in the hot weather we have here in Miami, it actually had a cooling effect (Why can't someone make a mint aldehyde scent? I'd love that!) From that point - all bets were off and now I find that I can wear aldehydes very comfortably and Chanel fragrances like No. 19 and No. 22 and Bois des Iles which all feature sparkling aldehydes I thoroughly enjoy now. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I list aldehydes as my Favorite Notes. But I like their effect. One more thing: Neil Morris fragrances are aldehydic - many of them. For some reason, I do not like his fragrances because of this. I have tried probably +10 of his scents and all of them just rub me the wrong way. So...obviously I do not like all kinds of aldehyes.

I think I know what you're talking about, Mike. For me, it's not so much whether the perfume has aldehydes--but what the aldehydes are doing in the perfume can be a dealbreaker. Chanel usually uses aldehydes the right way for me: they seem like the very fine, tiny bubbles in good champagne that tickle your nose when you smell it. Guerlain does, too. Some Estée Lauders can send me straight to migrainesville, but it depends. I've learned to enjoy them more as I've come to understand how much they liven up perfume.

Vernona, I hope you're feeling better and posting soon :).

I'm sampling LM Perfume's Chemise Blanche today. It's nice, but I don't feel like I need it. This pretty much wraps up some fragrance testing I've wanted to do for a while, looking for something sort of abstract and not too loud but still interesting and of reasonable quality. Honestly, for me, there's nothing out there that does this kind of thing better than No.5, especially for the money. I need to pick up a bottle of Eau Première, and eventually some L'Eau as well.

CapriDog

Mar 1, 2012
boat-red-lake-hd-1080P-wallpaper-middle-size.jpg

Phuong Dang - Liquid Red

Top - Artichoke, Bergamot, Whiskey, Champagne, Aldehydes
Heart - Moroccan Rose Absolute, Turkish Rose Otto, Clary Sage, Peony, Suede (Peach Velvet Leather), Iris, Violet Flower
Base - Amber Grey, Vanilla, Musk, Mahogany

thediamondsea

Jan 10, 2016
I think Maroc would be the ticket for Drag Queen Bingo--it's more full-on fabulous.

Speaking of jasmine, I did a Vernona and got bored with Chemise Blanche and switched to Grandiflora Madagascan Jasmine. This smells more like the jasmine we had in our backyard than any other perfume I've tried.

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
:vrolijk_26:Kiliwia and N.Cal, hello Doe triplets! How cool, I bet this is the first time this has happened on BN! Just a couple months ago, we wouldn't have even seen Doe in the Snow twins. Bet we will from now on though, what with a bottle in Jon's hands too! It makes me very happy to see this gem getting some attention. It deserves to be much better known.

I think I haven't mentioned this, but many of you probably know-Doe in the Snow was created specifically for Odette Toilette's (Lizzie Ostrom) winter wedding. Must have been perfect. The review on Odette's blog is of course the best one, being her scent and all.

Anyway, I've topped up this afternoon! It's so hot and Doe is just behaving so well.

Thank you for your lovely words, K.!:kiss:

Yep, EL aldehydes can be rough on me too, thediamondsea. And can I please sign off on your thoughts on 5? You said it all! Do love Mike's White Linen story, though! Just goes to show how confusing and chameleon-like dang aldehydes can be, lol!

Latest News