SOTD: Thursday, September 30, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
It still feels more like winter than spring here, I hope we don't go straight from cold to full on heat and miss the warm spring temps. this year.

I started the day with a sample - Chai by Baruti. I'm now wearing Opium EDT by YSL, it's the only vintage scent I own.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Gosh, it seems a little naked in here without the BN Robot to kick us off. And no Jon_R yet? I feel like I'm trespassing.

Vintage Safari EDC today. I missed it during the insufferable summer heat.

I usually scoff at kitschy-fancy bottles like this, but for some reason this one appeals to me, with its little crystal stopper.

Safari.EDC.mine2.jpg

Last edited:

Italia

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Good morning,

I'm suffering from withdrawal from my daily wardrobe SOTD posts, and remembered this thread, so I thought I'd venture over and make my first post here :) .

We finally have fall weather here in Colorado, after what seemed like an endlessly hot and parched summer. I reached for my precious bottle of L'Artisan Orchidee Blanche and gave myself 2 good spritzes. This was my first L'Artisan fragrance, back in the early 90s, and probably tied with their Vanilia as my favorite. I emptied two bottles of Orchidee Blanche and was stunned when I discovered that the fragrance had been discontinued. I searched for it for years, being outbid each of the unicorn moments that a bottle appeared for auction. I could not believe my eyes when a bottle appeared here in the Sales forum, and was thrilled to have a partial bottle again.

While by no means a masterpiece of perfume design, Orchidee Blanche is simple and lovely, with a strong resemblance to Guerlinade for me. It's almost all base notes on me - no real progression and no clear sense of topnotes - with prominent orris, tonka, vanilla, benzoin, amber, and maybe a touch of rose. It may be classified as an EDT, but like most of the original L'Artisan fragrances of the 80s and 90s, it is a powerhouse. It lasts 12+ hours on me, with almost no fade. A sentimental favorite that I'm thrilled to have again, for a little while.

Have a lovely day!

Italia

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Gosh, it seems a little naked in here without the BN Robot to kick us off. And no Jon_R yet? I feel like I'm trespassing.

I usually scoff at kitschy-fancy bottles like this, but for some reason this one appeals to me, with its little crystal stopper.

View attachment 170999
What a gorgeous bottle! I adore Safari, and have 2-3 vintage bottles hoarded, but have never had this one. Interesting that you missed it during the hot weather, as that is my favorite time of year to wear it, usually with a crisp white blouse, summer pants, and sandals :) .

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
What a gorgeous bottle! I adore Safari, and have 2-3 vintage bottles hoarded, but have never had this one.
It's an old splash bottle. I think maybe only the EDC came in it. You can still find them around occasionally.

Interesting that you missed it during the hot weather, as that is my favorite time of year to wear it, usually with a crisp white blouse, summer pants, and sandals :) .
I agree that it blooms in warm weather, but nothing of its depth does well in the extreme humidity of the summer where I live.

You seem to have been on BN a long time, and yet I've not seen you around. Have you been on a hiatus?

Italia

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
It's an old splash bottle. I think maybe only the EDC came in it. You can still find them around occasionally.

I agree that it blooms in warm weather, but nothing of its depth does well in the extreme humidity of the summer where I live.

You seem to have been on BN a long time, and yet I've not seen you around. Have you been on a hiatus?
Goodness, you are making me realize that I have likely missed entire facets of this favorite fragrance, despite owning it for 3 decades! I will definitely need to try it out in cooler weather; I am embarrassed to say that it never occurred to me to do so.

No, I must confess to no hiatus, just chronic lurking (and daily wardrobe SOTD tracking) over the past 15 years. I often feel at a loss for words in expressing my feelings about fragrance, especially given the talents and insights of so many on this forum. Trying to lessen the shyness 😊.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
Morning everyone. A bit cooler today but still warm enough for florals so I am starting the day in Estee Lauder Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia. I have today and tomorrow off - yay. September 30th is now a holiday in Canada - this just started this year.

@Italia, I enjoyed reading your post about Orchidee Blanche. I thought I was familiar with most of l'Artisan's back catalogue but I wasn't aware of that one. They really did have some amazing scents, back in the day.

I'd like to try Safari at some point. Is it really green (hoping yes!)? And is the current version any good?

Last edited:

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I'm suffering from withdrawal from my daily wardrobe SOTD posts
Same here. Since my last post talking about unlogged scents I need to log, I've done another round of Pour Monsieur Concentree and a round of Allure Homme Edition Blanche, my SOTD today.

At this point, honestly, I'm not even prepared to post in a "Your Most Worn" thread for September.

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007

Checking in late, windswept and bedraggled but off now until Monday !. Thursday wine o'clock anyone ? 🍷

Frederic Malle - L'Eau D'Hiver.

KQPH6Ue.jpg

o.4961.jpg

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
No, I must confess to no hiatus, just chronic lurking (and daily wardrobe SOTD tracking) over the past 15 years. I often feel at a loss for words in expressing my feelings about fragrance, especially given the talents and insights of so many on this forum. Trying to lessen the shyness 😊.

Here's hoping that now the ice is broken, you'll be more visible! Both here and in the Vintage Forum, since your heart clearly lies there.
I'd like to try Safari at some point. Is it really green (hoping yes!)?
Oh yeah, it's very much a green chypre, but more complex than that category usually is. Worth a try for sure. If Canada Post wasn't going medieval on incoming packages, I'd be glad to send you some.

And is the current version any good?
I haven't tried any modern iterations since maybe 2005, but based on what's happened to the other Lauren classics I'd venture to guess that was a big fat "no".

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Ciao, Italia. Good lord, we need more SOTDers, so if all you can come up with on a given day is a Colorado weather report, we'll adore ya.

Cook.bot, I've added the LL&P salute as my sig. You're right to greet me thus.

A generous application of Guerlain With Love for a morn of vacuuming, laundry, and chili-making. Since I got 1 hr 20 min of sleep overnight, I'm taking Ibuprofen and will seek out Mr. Sandman. I understand that if one goes long enough without sleep, one hallucinates. That might be fun.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Italia posting more? I’m in full support!

Not that anyone needs my endorsement but she’s awesome. My gateway to literally (proper meaning, not millennial meaning) hundreds of DSH scents, introduction to Teatro alla Scala, fellow Hendley fan, and all around good egg. Hi Italia :)

Also in SOTD feature withdrawal. As well as wardrobe withdrawal.

SOTD on this chilly fall-ish day:

Moschino pour Homme

As Bavard would say, it’s hitting the highest highs today. Even the chimney sweep guy told me I smelled great.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Moschino pour Homme

As Bavard would say, it’s hitting the highest highs today. Even the chimney sweep guy told me I smelled great.

Perfect frag for a chimney sweep guy! Ebay is his friend for Moschino Pour Homme.

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
Welcome to the thread, Italia! :) Don't be shy!

Wingie, you smell great!

Jon, windswept & bedraggled here, too. And these dark, wet & windy days are what I hate about autumn. But wine o'clock is well under way, cheers! 🍷

Q, I do hope your sleep problems will soon be resolved! Hallucinations aren't as fun as they sound.

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
Two hours later . . . Nope, no sleep. I listened to guided meditation. But nope. I've tried melatonin several times. Nope. Tylenol PM helps some. I've never had less stress in my life, so I'm not dwelling on anything. Leg spasms stopped last weekend, so it's not that. Thanks for tolerating my rant. It filled two minutes of my peculiarly long day.

I'm now wearing Maison Margiela Replica Across Sands.

Oooo, DD just called from Orlando -- Do I want any (paper) perfume samples from Epcot's French Pavilion? Will have to research what's new.

foxbins

Somebody made me a mod?
Basenotes Plus
Sep 5, 2013
Quarry, I'm so sorry you're still not sleeping. Diphenhydramine (the PM in Tylenol PM) is sold by itself, both as the generic and as Benedryl. It has been linked to cognitive decline with sustained use, but pretty much anything strong enough to put you to sleep isn't good for brain cells.

I'm wearing DSH Cafe Noir and battling what I think is an inner ear infection. My balance is way off and I feel some pressure in my left ear. Hoping it goes away soon.

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
So sorry to hear about your continued sleeplessness Quarry, that’s awful. I use sleeping pills when I get desperate, but lately marijuana gummies are helping me a lot. Fortunately legal in CA.

I’m wearing copious amounts of Ambre Nuit.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Diphenhydramine (the PM in Tylenol PM) is sold by itself, both as the generic and as Benedryl.
I am *so* sympathetic to sleep problems. I'm a big-time sleeper and get a little looney if I'm deprived for even two nights. I can't take either of the things Foxy mentions (bad hangovers), but of the OTCs, what works for me is Doxylamine succinate (generic for Unisom). I'm out in an hour and no hangover at all.

My balance is way off and I feel some pressure in my left ear. Hoping it goes away soon.
No chainsaws for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News