Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
Gengis Khan by Marc De La Morandiere

22357_2edfbf2335c08e2ff87b5b481ced74d1.jpg

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I'm not in sync today, I don't have any Etat Libre d’Orange scents.

I'm wearing Moonlight Patchouli by VC&A. Oh, I love this scent - the powdery cocoa note has decided to come out and play today with the rose, leather and patchouli that I usually smell. There is a hint of a fruity note, too. It's warm but not hot and the humidity is higher today (currently 80%) as we are expecting lots of rain later today.

Happy Friday all and take care and stay well!

easyfish

Basenotes Institution
Jun 26, 2009
hello all,
54773bf651bb90464f000169.jpg

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
Happy Birthday to Foxbins!

I don't own any ELd'O scents so can't synch.

My SOTD is "O" de Lancome (pre-reformulation.)
This is so "French" and chic. I had forgotten
how good it smells until I just ordered a new bottle of the
vintage version. I used to wear this a lot in the 70's.

JON RODGERS

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 5, 2007
Good morning all !. :birthdays: Happy Birthday foxbins :birthdays:

I have a couple of options for today's ELDO synch so I'll be going with both of them. Kicking off with Tom Of Finland.

Lutheran-Cathedral.jpg

375x500.4524.jpg

Mrs Q :vrolijk_26: amazing how three little words can bring such elation. "inching toward normalcy" applies to us all at the moment but it is particularly gratifying to hear it from you :2vrolijk_08:

Ebenas

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2006
On ELDO sync today with Eau de Protection Rose Ensorcelée, the Rossy De Palma rose. This was one I didn't like originally but came to adore - a teeth-tingling green rose with a ton of spice...

I still have a set of 16 10ml miniatures - what used to be the deluxe discovery set of the collection up to around 2012. It's a box with each of the 16 miniature bottles set in foam. I really wish ELDO would come out with a new one of these (and other houses..)

When I got it, the lid was plain black inside, which surprised me as I'd seen the set with reproductions of ELDO's cartoons for each perfume. On further investigation I found that this was black cardboard GLUED over the cartoons. This has always struck me as a little lily-livered for the self-proclaimed enfants térribles of perfume. I often wonder whether this act of self censorship was down to marketing...

Picture is of set with modesty cardboard removed - a process which resulted in some tears to the Rossy de Palma logo, which was particularly heavily glued, although it's one of the least 'daring' of the cartoons....

eldos.jpg

*dora*

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 12, 2007
Happy Birthday, foxbins! canvas.png

I hope you are feeling better today!

For the synch I searched my sample of

Jasmin Et Cigarette - Etat Libre d'Orange

Etat-Libre-Orange-Jasmin-Cigarette-01-e1584448159636.jpeg

https://mirisna.com/2019/04/02/etat-libre-dorange-jasmin-et-cigarette/

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
Hello and best to everyone. Happy birthday, Foxbins! :birthdays:
Quarry, that’s wonderful progress!
Mike, fingers crossed for you.

I completely forgot about the synch. I’m in Fleurs de Citronnier today. Take care, all.

ComDiva

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 4, 2006
Hi, everyone, and healing thoughts and happy happy birthday to :birthdays: foxbins!!! :birthdays:

Quarry, how wonderful to hear you're progressing! Here's to lots more of that. khanada, another fan of Dirty Honey here. I hope to get a FB some day... Trilby and Jon, even though I own Musc Ravageur, I find I never wear it because I really don't enjoy the drydown. So you're not alone, even among those of us who like certain aspects of MR. :)

I got my syncs mixed up, which is a good thing because today is my beloved late mother's birthday, and she was both the inspiration and enabler of my coffee habit, so I'm in Ava Luxe Cafe Noir. Will likely wear it again next Friday, as I'm really enjoying it.

26126041.jpg

I will, however, go through my samples and see if I can find an Etat Libre d'Orange or two for my SOTE.

Fabulous Friday, all!

Café Noir fragrance notes: Black coffee bean, Allspice Berry, Cardamom, French Lavender, Attar of Roses, Cedar, Patchouli, Vanilla, Mocha, Sandalwood, Siam Benzoin, Ambrette seed.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Happy birthday, foxbins! Wishing you a great year - and to be healthy and feel well every day!

I started the day synching with Remarkable People, and now I'm trying out Like This. For now, I still like You Or Someone Like You and Remarkable People the most - but sadly, Remarkable is really very fleeting on my skin.

Robin-in-FL

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 18, 2011
Happy birthday to Fox Bins, happy birthday to you!

I am synchronized and twins with *Dora* in Jasmine et Cigarette. A very "perfumey" perfume.

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
On ELDO sync today with Eau de Protection Rose Ensorcelée, the Rossy De Palma rose. This was one I didn't like originally but came to adore - a teeth-tingling green rose with a ton of spice...

I still have a set of 16 10ml miniatures - what used to be the deluxe discovery set of the collection up to around 2012. It's a box with each of the 16 miniature bottles set in foam. I really wish ELDO would come out with a new one of these (and other houses..)

When I got it, the lid was plain black inside, which surprised me as I'd seen the set with reproductions of ELDO's cartoons for each perfume. On further investigation I found that this was black cardboard GLUED over the cartoons. This has always struck me as a little lily-livered for the self-proclaimed enfants térribles of perfume. I often wonder whether this act of self censorship was down to marketing...

Picture is of set with modesty cardboard removed - a process which resulted in some tears to the Rossy de Palma logo, which was particularly heavily glued, although it's one of the least 'daring' of the cartoons....

View attachment 145683

Ah, I am cordially envious, Ebenas! I have the 30 2 ml samples fetchingly albeit more casually packed in cardboard with the strong EdO graphics and some punchy taglines. I have been blind sniffing and reporting most days, so this was a synch foretold.

So, this morning's ELdO blind sniff: I get floral, maybe rose, maybe a souçon of muguet, hay, citrus or neroli, and beeswax. It seems to fade quickly, and the effect is old fashioned as well as—and this is a word that occurs to me frequently with this house—fetid. And then it fades. I put my nose to wrist, and get almost nothing. Then, a few minutes later the animalic waxy smell wafts up, and Iam reminded that close-in is not always the best way to "get" a fragrance. It seems nostalgic, like a memory of my grandmother's house, and she was no cookie baking gramma.

The reveal: it is La Fin Du Mond. I can feel that. Not with a bang, but rather a candle (the beeswax) flickering out. Not an overpowering scent, and not lingering.

Last edited:

jujy54

queen of the universe
Basenotes Plus
Jun 8, 2008
•Happy birthday, dear foxbins! I hope you are feeling better!

•Dear Quarry, here's to more and consecutive good days. XXXOOO

SOTA is another ELdO 30 sampler blind sniff: peppery and green at the start. At this moment, I am not getting an expected whiff of the fetid, but bit of floral is emerging. There is nothing outre here. This is polite and unassuming, and just quiet enough to be mysterious. I am feeling the nostalgia and sentiment in this one.

and I peek. . .
You or Someone Like You. Yep, nostalgia.

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I'm being uncharacteristically brave for the Friday sync and wearing Hermann à Mes Côtés Me Paraissait une Ombre by Etat Libre d'Orange, for the first time.

This scent could be a midday at Quarry's house in late summer. She's just finished bushhogging a whole field of weedy underbrush, and on her way back home for lunch she stopped to pick a single rose and a whole bunch of beets from the garden that are still covered with dirt.

Foxbins, my birthday wish for you is that this year lets you return to your regular schedule of travelling and exploring. I miss your reports from far-off lands.

Quarry

Doing the BN salute
Basenotes Plus
Aug 9, 2005
giphy.gif
FOXBINS :kiss:

I appreciate (((everyone's))) celebrating my tiny victories. You are the sweetest people! There've been a litter of failures, too, which are frustrating as hell, but what else can we do but plod on and hope we can eventually string together days with fewer reminders of the painful stuff.

Yes, Mike, DD and I have visited the Epcot Guerlain boutique maybe three times now. I imagine it's just not the same during the mask-demic.

(((Cook.bot))) (((jujy))) Comdiva, thinking about your special mom.

No ELDO around, so I'm sniffing samples. Am sort of wearing Fragonard Vrai which underlines the sad reality that lemony verbena smells nowhere as good as lemon.

foxbins

Somebody made me a mod?
Basenotes Plus
Sep 5, 2013
THANK YOU ALL for the birthday wishes! I am not doing anything special for the day, though I did gift myself 2 dozen bialys from H & H Bagel in NYC. I haven't any ELDO, despite remembering a sample of Jasmin et Cigarette from long ago, but I'm not hunting for it today. Instead, I'm wearing AA Pamplelune. I always forget how much I like this one. The antibiotics have kicked in and I am much more comfortable than yesterday.

Mike, I'm so happy you found a place you like!

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Hello all,

I'm wearing Diptyque Eau Capitale. I thought it was soulless at first, but it's growing on me. It shares notes, and scent, with Twilly d'Hermes Eau Poivree. I like the Hermes just a little better because of the addition of pepper. I didn't feel like rummaging through my perfume storage to find Twilly though.

So, the author Philip K. Dick is taking over my nights and I was reading Clans of the Alphane Moon at 3:00 a.m. so I slept in very late. Funny thing, all my life I eschewed science fiction or any kind if fantasy writing. I always found "real life" to be much more interesting, even the romantic and social woes described by Jane Austin. The TV program Man in the High Castle ignited my interest in Dick. Now, I'm a goner. I'm as interested in the author and his time and place as I am in his characters and plots.

Juxtapozbliss

Author, Artist & Creative Director
Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
Hello all,

I'm wearing Diptyque Eau Capitale. I thought it was soulless at first, but it's growing on me. It shares notes, and scent, with Twilly d'Hermes Eau Poivree. I like the Hermes just a little better because of the addition of pepper. I didn't feel like rummaging through my perfume storage to find Twilly though.

So, the author Philip K. Dick is taking over my nights and I was reading Clans of the Alphane Moon at 3:00 a.m. so I slept in very late. Funny thing, all my life I eschewed science fiction or any kind if fantasy writing. I always found "real life" to be much more interesting, even the romantic and social woes described by Jane Austin. The TV program Man in the High Castle ignited my interest in Dick. Now, I'm a goner. I'm as interested in the author and his time and place as I am in his characters and plots.

Yay for Dick! Wait. That came out wrong. He’s quite the character. I think his sci fi is more experimental and cerebral than scientific.

I didn’t realize it was an ELDO day or I would have broken out one of my many options. I’ll choose one for my evening fragrance for sure. This morning I picked Last Exit for the Lost from Sixteen92 because I love smelling like an apple orchard, especially on a cold day.

Happy birthday foxbins, and glad you are making progress Quarry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Yay for Dick! Wait. That came out wrong. He’s quite the character. I think his sci fi is more experimental and cerebral than scientific.

Juxtapozbliss, you're my enabler, doncha know? I went through a similar spree with Patricia Highsmith years back. At one time I read everything in print at the time. Is there a biography of Dick that you would recommend? (Sorry, everyone, for highjacking this thread for this literary sidetrack.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News