Soaps / Shower Gels - Currently Using, Favourites, Purchases, etc.

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019
The Batman one doesn't have a matching EDT, but the Captain America and Man of Steel ones do.
I have the Man Of Steel EDT and have tested the Captain America one - cheap fresh scents I wouldn't wear. But all the gels are non-girly, and I like them. I only ever pick them up cheap somewhere (supermarket or chemist).
I don't really care much about the scents themselves as I use the gels in washing mode, not in layering mode as one does with designer scent gels.

If you don't care much for them, why do you get them? Are they cheaper?

Renato

Oct 21, 2002
If you don't care much for them, why do you get them? Are they cheaper?

I don't mean that I don't care about the scents in that they smell bad or anything.
I just don't care because I'm more concerned about cleaning with a loofa, and any residual scent disappears in 15 minutes anyway - unless I do the layering thing and get them to stay on for four hours. So long as the gel isn't an overly floral girlsh scents I'm happy. I sometimes even use those ones in hotels.

I buy lots of cheap shower gels - never paid full price for a shower gel, unless it's great value in a huge bottle.
Designer shower gels I also only ever buy if cheap, or as an almost free part of a gift set.
Regards,
Renato

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I don't really like shower gel. I can cope with it, but I'd much rather use a bar of soap.

I've recently finished bars of vintage Balafre and Givenchy III.

I received a couple of the Monsillage bars, but I haven't opened them yet.

I kind of have a thing for Safeguard. I like it once in a while. There's a bar in the downstairs bathroom right now, and the whole room smells like it.

I'm a fan of Dove.

I have a bunch of sandalwood bars of soap from India.

That's pretty much my stash at the moment.

Renato

Oct 21, 2002
I'm a fan of Dove.

I don't know how many scores of Dove bars I've bought for my wife since we got married 13 years ago.
She says Dove isn't harsh on her skin.

I bought a four pack of the men's Dove bars. I used one, and gave the rest to her. It wasn't good enough getting suntan/sunscreen lotion off.
Cheers,
Renato

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
I don't really like shower gel. I can cope with it, but I'd much rather use a bar of soap.

I've recently finished bars of vintage Balafre and Givenchy III.

I received a couple of the Monsillage bars, but I haven't opened them yet.

I kind of have a thing for Safeguard. I like it once in a while. There's a bar in the downstairs bathroom right now, and the whole room smells like it.

I'm a fan of Dove.

I have a bunch of sandalwood bars of soap from India.

That's pretty much my stash at the moment.

You should try No. 5 Bar Soap by Chanel. It's soooo good in a shower.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Just made several batches of soap with a bit of a Christmas theme. I used to make it from scratch - cold process method but nowadays, I use a couple of different melt & pour soap bases and tweak it a bit (I add in a few more ingredients) to make the soap more moisturising. I make a softer, extra moisturising soap for the shower/bath and a harder soap (it has a higher melt point) for more frequent use at the hand basins.

The softer goatmilk bars are scented in Gingersnap and Turkish Delight (sweet jammy rose).

The harder goatmilk bars are scented in Creme Brulee and Candy Cane (sweet peppermint with a hint of vanilla).

I also have a goatmilk liquid soap option at the hand basin scented in mainly Sandalwood with a hint of vanilla in it.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
I finally bought this, I've always been a fan of the original CdG Eau de Parfum, so I look forward to smelling that signature medicinal-clove-synthetic accord in the shower.

4aedfeb6-1c3b-48f3-bec9-4660d8ecf17d_1.96184013ecf45528a5c602283495e947.jpeg

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Just made several batches of soap with a bit of a Christmas theme. I used to make it from scratch - cold process method but nowadays, I use a couple of different melt & pour soap bases and tweak it a bit (I add in a few more ingredients) to make the soap more moisturising. I make a softer, extra moisturising soap for the shower/bath and a harder soap (it has a higher melt point) for more frequent use at the hand basins.

The softer goatmilk bars are scented in Gingersnap and Turkish Delight (sweet jammy rose).

The harder goatmilk bars are scented in Creme Brulee and Candy Cane (sweet peppermint with a hint of vanilla).

I also have a goatmilk liquid soap option at the hand basin scented in mainly Sandalwood with a hint of vanilla in it.

They sound delightful, especially for the holiday season. :smiley:

Danny Mitchell

Mar 21, 2019

Do people ever ask you if you're the Paper Street Soap Company?

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Somehow my subscription to this thread got inadvertently disconnected and I lost track of it. Just read through all the posts since 2016. Even just reading about soap is an enjoyable experience.

Since my last post here I've been doing some fine tuning on Aleppo soap, made with olive oil and laurel oil. There's an importer in the area, Sharbo, that has a great array of various soaps from Aleppo. The original oblong one I was using had 10% laurel oil and in the winter time I found it drying. (I may not have been the only one because they seem to have discontinued that type.) The round one is fine. It has 25% laurel oil and comes in scented or unscented. The Jasmine was particularly nice. Then they brought in a line of smaller square, slightly softer Aleppo soap, also with 25% laurel oil, a ratio that has proven non-drying, even in winter. I tried a variety of fragrances and the ones I like best so far are Eucalyptus and Gardénia and I like the Jasmine too. There is also a very interesting black one, Nigella Sativa, made with actual black seeds and it is like a loofah.

D3188F70-CF01-4C54-9120-580DD849C132_1_201_a.jpg

I've always bought a fair amount of soap but during the pandemic you could probably call it stockpiling. That's because I find having a lot of soap is a de-stresser and reassuring. It worked out fine because there were lots of varieties to try in the new line of soap. A lot more soap has gone under the bridge since last time I posted but I'll stop here for now.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Somehow my subscription to this thread got inadvertently disconnected and I lost track of it. Just read through all the posts since 2016. Even just reading about soap is an enjoyable experience.

Since my last post here I've been doing some fine tuning on Aleppo soap, made with olive oil and laurel oil. There's an importer in the area, Sharbo, that has a great array of various soaps from Aleppo. The original oblong one I was using had 10% laurel oil and in the winter time I found it drying. (I may not have been the only one because they seem to have discontinued that type.) The round one is fine. It has 25% laurel oil and comes in scented or unscented. The Jasmine was particularly nice. Then they brought in a line of smaller square, slightly softer Aleppo soap, also with 25% laurel oil, a ratio that has proven non-drying, even in winter. I tried a variety of fragrances and the ones I like best so far are Eucalyptus and Gardénia and I like the Jasmine too. There is also a very interesting black one, Nigella Sativa, made with actual black seeds and it is like a loofah.

I've always bought a fair amount of soap but during the pandemic you could probably call it stockpiling. That's because I find having a lot of soap is a de-stresser and reassuring. It worked out fine because there were lots of varieties to try in the new line of soap. A lot more soap has gone under the bridge since last time I posted but I'll stop here for now.

One can never have too many bars of soap.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Reorganizing a closet, in the back I came upon a cache of Dior products, Miss Dior and Diorissimo from the 1980s and a couple of bars of Diorissimo soap. Using one of them now. The fragrance has dissipated a bit but it’s still lovely and the soap lathers beautifully.

Edited to add an action shot! And the good news is that once the outer surface wore off, the the inner soap is still redolent of muguet.

B353297B-9ABB-4745-912B-030557CB598E.jpg

Last edited:

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
A lot more soap has gone under the bridge since last time I posted but I'll stop here for now.

I have to ask you about that marvelous pink patterned background of your soap photo. Is it a midcentury Formica countertop in your bathroom?

And aren't you the person who had the lovely grey cracked ice Formica countertop in other photos? If so, it appears you've got some well-preserved 1950s/60s decor in your house.

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
I have to ask you about that marvelous pink patterned background of your soap photo. Is it a midcentury Formica countertop in your bathroom?

And aren't you the person who had the lovely grey cracked ice Formica countertop in other photos? If so, it appears you've got some well-preserved 1950s/60s decor in your house.

Cook.bot, you have a good eye. Both those finishes are in the kitchen. The grey countertops are original to the building from 1951. The pink Formica is on a small stand-alone cabinet from the same era. They both make nice photo backgrounds for various articles (in addition to being a pleasure to use every day)!

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
Latest treats: bar soap in L’Ombre dans L’Eau. Also Bandit shower cream which, like Fracas, doesn’t work on me in perfume form and yet I adore the shower cream.

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
Those sound nice! Tdem, do they still make Bandit shower cream today?

Hi, FiveO! I just checked the Piguet website. I see Fracas shower cream listed there (actually referred to as ‘silkening body wash’ in a black tube and comes with a shower pouf) but none at all for Bandit, and which in edp is noted as being “temporarily out of stock”. I am not sure whether this bodes well as to Bandit’s availability there. I bought my Bandit shower cream through eBay. Funny story: I thought I was buying Fracas shower cream but it was actually Bandit and I ended up keeping and loving it. My container of the Bandit is packaged as “silkening shower crème” in a bottle, like this:

3-F9-A82-DD-DC00-4-DA4-8821-41-FD09-A2-B2-E9.jpg

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Hi, FiveO! I just checked the Piguet website. I see Fracas shower cream listed there (actually referred to as ‘silkening body wash’ in a black tube and comes with a shower pouf) but none at all for Bandit, and which in edp is noted as being “temporarily out of stock”. I am not sure whether this bodes well as to Bandit’s availability there. I bought my Bandit shower cream through eBay. Funny story: I thought I was buying Fracas shower cream but it was actually Bandit and I ended up keeping and loving it. My container of the Bandit is packaged as “silkening shower crème” in a bottle, like this:

3-F9-A82-DD-DC00-4-DA4-8821-41-FD09-A2-B2-E9.jpg

Sounds like a lucky mistake. i hope you can get some more.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Also happening to like lately several of the surprisingly bargain priced multi-functional 3 in 1 or even 4 in 1 male shower gels German drugstore/cosmetics chain brand Balea Men. Mainly but not exclusive the sensitive, the active charcoal and the "deep sensation" fresh one

donna255

Jul 16, 2004
Beekman 1802 set, which was a TSV on QVC UK.

All based on goat's milk

3 giant soaps

hand cream

3 lip balms

body cream

Twinkle Twinkle, Goat's Milk and Honey Orange Blossom are the fragrances in the set.

Latest News