Soaps / Shower Gels - Currently Using, Favourites, Purchases, etc.

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Currently using Glasshouse "Kyoto" (Camellia & Lotus) Hand Wash at the hand basin & I've just unwrapped a Sandalwood goats milk soap for the shower.

Robin-in-FL

Jan 18, 2011
I got a quart bottle of Archipelago Botanicals Black Honey body wash, it's lovely.

My daughter one day sends me a text "I am using your shower, G is in ours aargh"

That night when she gets home from work, first thing she says "Oh my god whatever that body wash is in your shower, I want that for Christmas."

bandito

Aug 30, 2015
I've tried a number of different brands over the years, most recently Swedish Dream, Mitchell's Woolfat, Saponificio Varesino and Musgo Real. However, for the last 8 months I've been hooked on Nesti Dante - it's good value, lasts ages, natural, and moisturisers my skin like no other soap I've tried. My favourite frgrances so far are:

Cypress (smells, as you'd imagine, like a forest)
Lavender
Villages and Monasteries (lovely, if a little subtle, incense fragrance)
Thermal Waters (smells just like a spa!)

I have tried others, and I'm looking forward to trying more, but so far these are firm favourites

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
...Last week I got an Aesop Body Cleansing Slab with oils of bergamot, ylang-ylang and lime. It's very nice; the only thing is you have to cut it (ideally into three bars) and when I tried to do so two of the three bars crumbled into jagged pieces. I guess a regular knife is not suitable for the job and next to try will be a crinkle cutter. anyone here have any advice or experience cutting soap bars successfully?

I am interested in this Aesop soap. Anyone else have it?

kewart

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 9, 2006
I have just returned from Nice, where I bought some savon de Marseilles
(in the local market) scented with Pastis (a licorice-like liqueur) It is really unusual
and refreshing.
I also love the Neste Danti soap called Sardegna.
Almond scented soaps from Italy are also a favourite.

Sue

Jan 15, 2007
i really should use my soaps.
I have Nesti Dantes coming out of every orifice, a bar of Serge Lutens, Amouage Memoir and Lyric, all unopened.

I also have been on a shower gel bender lately. I'm currently using a Palmolive milk and honey but I have Amouages, Guerlains, Molinard Habanita and a couple of Lush. The only ones I have tried so far is the Lush Twilight and Rose Jam.

Usually I only use the matching ones to my perfumes when I am using the perfume.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
Mike, Rose Jam is really good! I should get one...

Yep. And I am pretty sure that they have a spray fragrance also available in the US now (it was exclusive to the UK before). I saw it on their US website last week. I will check it out at the Lush store today (It is literally right below my office lol)

I bought some Dior Homme Shower Gel off eBay (this one isn't easy to find). Looking forward to using it!

tdem1961

I smell something…
Basenotes Plus
Jun 19, 2005
Bar soaps - In the past I’ve used Santa Maria Novella Melograno. Heavenly.

Ivory - yes, plain, old school Ivory bath soap. Nostalgically simple and good.

The lovely Five Oaks Bouquet once gifted me a box of Roger & Gallet soaps in the carnation scent. They were beautiful and long lasting. A wrapped bar placed on my closet shelf subtly perfumed the entire space.

Currently I’m using shower creams by Le Petit Marsellais. I’ve bought them through Amazon in the past but am delighted to see that my local Duane Reade and Stop & Shop now carry them. I love the orange blossom, the lavender honey, and the vanilla milk scents. They are gentle and don’t clash with my SOTD.

Fracas shower cream is divine.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
I'll check about the Rose Jam fragrance as well.
Let us know about the Dior Homme shower gel!

The Rose Jam fragrance gave me a bit of a headache after a couple of hours. I will try it again to make sure that it was the fragrance & not something else...

I absolutely love the Dior Homme Shower Gel! I am glad I bought it (it wasn't cheap...$41 is a lot for shower gel). The iris note and the plush gourmand facets are yummy in a shower - very comforting. Just the right amount of scent, but not too persistent post-shower.

I am eyeing some Egoiste Shower Gel, but gosh I can't find some cheaper than $60...that's a lot of $!

shiprat

Dec 11, 2017
Recently bought a bar of Cleopatra soap from ebay having heard about it for years. Apparently it's not "what it used to be" but I'm enjoying it. Lovely, tasteful un-soapy fragrance even if its a bit light.

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
I always use nicely scented hand soap, bar soap, shower gel, hand creme, etc. but I try to be economical about it. I usually get them at the only "high-end" store within 30 miles of me - TJ Maxx. I had occasion recently to add an Ulta body wash to my stash, a soapy and really nice fragrant White Flowers scent. I also use a lot of Crabtree & Evelyn products - right now I've got Summer Hill body wash, Iris body lotion, and my favorite Nantucket Briar hand creme.
I'm using Carven Ma Griffe bar soap that I picked up at a yard sale. I love that fragrance but the stuff is pretty old now. I also had to pick up a Castelbel Porto bar soap I found at TJ Maxx. I had noticed that Roberto from Portugal uses that brand of products sometimes so it caught my eye. The scent is called Bird of Paradise and I don't know what that scent is supposed to smell like, but the fragrance is divine. I'm just going to sniff it for a while before I use it.
I also accidentally bought Kenneth Cole Signature after shave balm thinking it was something else. Hey, for 3 bucks, why not. I'm single so I think I'll try to use it after I shave my legs and see how it goes.
I've used a lot of different brands of shower gel or body wash over the years, but I keep coming back to simple $4 Caress. It's been around forever, it's moisturizing, it comes in nice scents, and I'm happy with it.

- - - Updated - - -

I decided to use the Kenneth Cole Signature after shave balm after I shaved my underarms instead of my legs. Good thing. I now have me some manly green-smelling armpits.

Sue

Jan 15, 2007
Last week I started on my Nesti Dante soap stash.
First one up is Mediterranean Plum, Persimmon & Amber With Bran & Walnut Granules.

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
Got a haul from my local Maxx: two Orly nail polishes that I didn't need; minis of Bebe by Bebe (Francis Kurkdjian did this one) and Bebe Sheer; a trial size Water Mint body wash by Molton Brown (never had their products before); a large bottle of Castelbel Gardenia liquid hand soap; Tommy Bahama St. Barts bath & shower gel; & 1 OZ. bottle of Ermenegildo Zegna Uomo; (& a jar of Sicilian jam). I went there for shower gel & jam. It's all just so inexpensive!

Zilpha

Aug 7, 2008
Bath & Body Works had a sale on discontinued shower gels so I got nine different ones. Even considering s/h fees and tax I still think I got a good bargain.
If I've ever used B&BW products before, I don't remember it.

Twilight Woods, Juniper Breeze, Cotton Blossom, Wild Honeysuckle, Sensual Amber, Pink Cashmere, Plumeria, Freesia, & Cherry Blossom

teardrop

Sep 1, 2010
l've only just got around to looking at this thread! :eek:

l adore scented shower gels & soaps, & l'm always on the lookout for nice ones to try, although my budget doesn't extend to the really high end stuff.

Currently, for handwashing l'm using Karnataka Mysore sandalwood soap, which is luxuriously scented, lathers well & is very reasonably priced. lt seems to be widely available online.

l've just bought a second bottle of Frosted Sprinkles shower creme, from Baylis & Harding's Beauticology range. lt smells exactly like iced cinnamon buns, & is very Christmassy. Not sure whether or not this is available outside the UK.

l've used several Lush shower gels over the years. Favourites have been Rose Jam, Flying Fox & The Olive Branch.

mikeperez23

Be Here. Now.
Basenotes Plus
Dec 31, 2006
A Basenotes buddy bought me this for my birthday:

2017-05-CM-Collection-FathersDaySoap.jpg

Although mine had Sandalwood Talc. Lovely stuff!

Latest News