SMN Peau d'Espagne: blind buy?

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I'm not that much into leather scents and I prefer to stay away from very masculine or rugged macho scents for lack of better words. I find myself loving the likes of Bel Ami, Eau d'Hermes and Gucci Guilty Absolute though.

I've read that Peau d'Espagne and Gucci Guilty Absolute have a similar feel but in what way?

That being said, do you think Peau d'Espagne would be a reasonably safe blind buy for me?

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I've never smelled it myself, and I want to, but I'd say if you can handle Eau d'Hermes, then this should be no problem. So, if you have the ~$140 to spend, why not?

I don't quite see what's there to handle about Eau d'Hermes? I have the current formulation (2016), I assume vintage has more skank but I never smelled that.

Cevenol

Dec 22, 2015
In my opinion no. It's nothing like GGA either. Very unique, very strong. I like challenging classics and I like it, but it was pretty much the only one I'd never reached for. Glad to have owned and worn it because it's interesting and historical but I passed it on. Definitely to be experienced though.

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
If you’re “not that much into leather scents,” then, no, not a safe blind buy. I love it, but I’m very much into leather scents. In your case, I would strongly advise sampling first. It’s nothing like Eau d’Hermès, and it could beat up Bel Ami with one arm tied behind its back. (Note that I love both of those.) GGA isn’t remotely in the same league.

Latest News