Smelled on the Street

Kotori

In my little cloud
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Yesterday at Aldi I smelled a distinct and heavy application of Eau de Magnolia by Frederic Malle from a lady who crossed my path. I was frankly impressed. Memphis is not exactly a Mecca of niche and exclusive fragrances.

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
In recent weeks:

Guerlain - Habit Rouge EDT
A former college classmate.
Confirmed.

Zara - Vibrant Leather
On the street.
Confirmed.

Malizia - Vetyver
A woman from the gym. Overprayed.
No confirmation needed.

Armani - Acqua di Gio Profumo
In a store.
Confirmed.

Bentley - Intense
On the street. Oversprayed.
Confirmed.

In a bar, someone wore a perfume that I liked very much - dried fruits, incense, smoky, thick, a bit on the sweet side. It reminded me of Jubilation XXV.
I couldn't find who was wearing it.
They weren't the ones next to me. I didn't insist more than that.

I am smelling more people wearing fragrances out and about in recent weeks but I am at a loss as to what they are.
Well, so do I.
Every day I smell a lot of perfumes, but I don't recognize them, or I don't know them.

maksidrom

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 30, 2003
A man that bathed in Sauvage in a grocery store. He looked like he was going to a party or some get-together and was looking for wine. He couldn't decide what to pick and kept moving back and forth, I was on the other side of aisle, and every time he started moving a tsunami of Sauvage would punch me in the face. It was obnoxious and inescapable, I could smell it even when I got to the checkout.

VanillaCloud

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 30, 2003
A man that bathed in Sauvage in a grocery store. He looked like he was going to a party or some get-together and was looking for wine. He couldn't decide what to pick and kept moving back and forth, I was on the other side of aisle, and every time he started moving a tsunami of Sauvage would punch me in the face. It was obnoxious and inescapable, I could smell it even when I got to the checkout.
Sauvage and some GET LUCKY wine, good time Saturday Nite !!! 😉

Emanuel76

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 16, 2018
Bentley - Absolute, in a fast food, a few days ago.
There was no need for confirmation. 😋

375x500.25694.jpg

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
I was in a showroom and the sales assistant smelled great, rich and warm-smelling --I complimented him and asked if it was a Guerlain. Thinking it would be L'Homme Ideal at best, I was surprised that he said it was one of my favorites, Heritage. Heritage is a daring choice in this heat but it actually worked and was a low dose.

I also smelled Grey Flannel on someone and it really smelled great in the heat--again, a low dose......

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
Blast from the past, walking down a nearly empty street and see two people chatting outside their building. As I passed I got the unmistakable sillage of JPG Le Male, created a good 10 foot scent bubble around them. Actually smelled pretty nice in the summer night air but not sure I'd want to be in an enclosed space with him.

VanillaCloud

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 30, 2003
Smelled a rather smoky version of Sauvage on a 50something male getting the Wawa version of a Slurpee ( can't recall the name).
Plus I had to go to the mall for a birthday present and downwind of Victoria's Secret the air was heavy with Sauvage.
Is their new Bare ambroxan heavy?

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
Smelled a rather smoky version of Sauvage on a 50something male getting the Wawa version of a Slurpee ( can't recall the name).
Plus I had to go to the mall for a birthday present and downwind of Victoria's Secret the air was heavy with Sauvage.
Is their new Bare ambroxan heavy?
I am at sea here. Am I right in thinking that you are conflating a frozen drink with a guitar pedal? That is interesting.

SmellSharpe

Dec 29, 2021
I was in London last week and Oxford Street reeked of Aventus and Oud. It was crazy and I have never smelled anything like it!

Also, we stayed a night in a Brussels and the hotel smelled like a L’Occitane store. Makes sense as there was a L’Occitane store attached to the hotel and all of the toiletries provided in our room were from L’Occitane. 👍

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Have been on the move recently. I picked up whiffs of the following:
  • Bleu de Chanel (can't for the life of me pick out the version)
  • BR540 on a tourist (it's no surprise as this one is becoming more and more popular)
  • Sauvage (of course)
  • Something very similar to the now discontinued Lumiere Noire by MFK - this was a really pleasant whiff that was long lasting
  • Guerlain Vetiver (which still seems very popular)

Nov 22, 2021
I smell a lot of BR540 and its cousins/clones out and about.

The last fragrance I recognized that was a dead cert was Jo Malone Wood Sage and Sea Salt on someone walking past. I couldn't mistake the brief salt and sage, chased by that primary school pink hand soap covering a paper towel and then left in a sink full of water note it has to me.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
A few recent encounters:

An older but youthfully styled man on the subway smelled of Le Male.

Yesterday at an art fair, one of the studios was absolutely filled with a very familiar scent. I think it must have been Frederic Malle the Moon! Or else, someone had actually been smoking shisha. I was wearing Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese, so the room was temporarily campfire with shisha, yum!

Another room was scented by the artist with borderline nasty florals, like old flower vase water. The scent was also for sale.

The other day behind someone on the sidewalk he was giving wafts of nuclear 90s aquatic, not sure which one. It was actually pleasant in the outdoors on a muggy day, but might have been too much if we were in an elevator together.

Latest News