Smelled on the Street

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
I recently had lunch with someone wearing Eau Sauvage--I didn't ask because I don't really know him too well, but it was clearly that and made me remember how great it is and now, of course, I will get a bottle. I wore it for years and need to again. It is sad but for me, that is just too personal a question to ask another man (this was a business lunch, after all) and I really should get over it. This morning in the locker room at my gym I saw a bottle of Creed's Original Vetiver in a guy's open gym bag but I was gone before he put some on.

Hat and Beard

Apr 10, 2012
I interviewed someone today wearing Mancera: Cedrat Bois (I had to ask him what he was wearing) and now I just got caught behind someone on the street wearing Christian Dior: Poison.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
This thread makes me realize just how much of a fragrance black hole Colorado is. You guys in NY and other east coast cities (and LA, and abroad) actually smell people wearing nice scents in the street. That is just wild to me.

When I smell someone out and about with a scent strong enough to clearly pick up, I'm usually so shocked and taken aback that I forget to ID it.

Last edited:

Hat and Beard

Apr 10, 2012
This morning on the train Polo: Double Black. I feel bad for whoever gets a whiff of me today. I'm giving Perris Monte Carlo: Oud Imperial a full wear from a sample and I'm really not enjoying it. Has a cloying metallic note that's very off putting.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
This morning on the train Polo: Double Black. I feel bad for whoever gets a whiff of me today. I'm giving Perris Monte Carlo: Oud Imperial a full wear from a sample and I'm really not enjoying it. Has a cloying metallic note that's very off putting.
Did you get any mango notes from double black?

PWJ

Jan 29, 2012
Recently that I can recall:

Terre d'Hermes (several times, this is now too popular and too easily recognizable)
Bleu de Chanel
Dior Sauvage
1 Million

PWJ

Jan 29, 2012
On Manhattan streets behind 3 young hipsters I get wafts of soapy floral. Is it boucheron PH? Or some Le Labo monstrosity. Not sure so I take another whiff and BAM - strong Vintage Kouros. Wait what !!! How did I miss that
And then I see a homeless guy there.
This hipster soapy floral mixed with the other smell became Kouros. I take a whiff again and it is gone. But I think I know what Pierre was going for when he did Kouros.

Lord have mercy.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
This thread makes me realize just how much of a fragrance black hole Colorado is. You guys in NY and other east coast cities (and LA, and abroad) actually smell people wearing nice scents in the street. That is just wild to me.

I rarely smell anything near me in S. NE, but then I am rarely "on the street" other than the grocery store and at work. However, the one exception is a local university where I work part-time. I smell many a perfumed undergraduate woman around campus, often candy-sweet and not something I'm curious enough to inquire about. I just assume, perhps unfairly, that it is B&BW or VS, although some of them are nice enough. Occasionally guys are scented, but far less so.

Yesterday though, I smelled something unusually appealing on a female PhD student I'm working with so I asked - much to my surprise, she was wearing La Nuit de L'Homme. She said it was a gift to an ex-BF but they split up before she gave it to him so she wears it now, and I quote her verbatim "I think it smells more like women's perfume anyway, but he had specifically asked for it." I will admit that I have repeatedly called it a boring and mundane fragrance, but she smelled great in it. I went home and smelled the sample I have and while I do still think it's boring, I can't deny that I think it smells pleasant.

Could have been a situational thing. It wasn't the usual fare that I'm used to, so by virtue of being different, perhaps it held greater appeal.

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
I rarely smell anything near me in S. NE, but then I am rarely "on the street" other than the grocery store and at work. However, the one exception is a local university where I work part-time. I smell many a perfumed undergraduate woman around campus, often candy-sweet and not something I'm curious enough to inquire about. I just assume, perhps unfairly, that it is B&BW or VS, although some of them are nice enough. Occasionally guys are scented, but far less so.

Yesterday though, I smelled something unusually appealing on a female PhD student I'm working with so I asked - much to my surprise, she was wearing La Nuit de L'Homme. She said it was a gift to an ex-BF but they split up before she gave it to him so she wears it now, and I quote her verbatim "I think it smells more like women's perfume anyway, but he had specifically asked for it." I will admit that I have repeatedly called it a boring and mundane fragrance, but she smelled great in it. I went home and smelled the sample I have and while I do still think it's boring, I can't deny that I think it smells pleasant.

Could have been a situational thing. It wasn't the usual fare that I'm used to, so by virtue of being different, perhaps it held greater appeal.

It's probably a chemistry thing. When my husband wears something unisex, it has that man musk added to it from him, so it smells manly. When I wear the same fragrance, it will come off as feminine.

Oh, and getting off an elevator I smelled a whiff of something gardenia-- probably the Hermes.

Hat and Beard

Apr 10, 2012
Sitting in Bryant Park on my lunch and I just got caught downwind of a pair of ladies...one of which was wearing Tom Ford:Tuscan Leather. Without question.

Liz B

Jun 26, 2015
I was at a staff development today and someone was wearing Light Blue. It smelled fantastic, and it made me remember how much I'd enjoyed it when I had a bottle. And also...for a light fragrance, the projection is huge!

I feel like when I am out and about I am more likely to notice fragrance on men...at work, it's the women. (But I mostly work with women, so.)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Paul H

Mar 28, 2015
The strangest thing happened today in that we went to an International Food Festival tasting and I didn't smell a particular fragrance per say, but I could sense the smell of a candle which we had used a very long time ago called Diptyque's Santal. For the life of me I couldn't find the person wearing it, but it was lingering in the air. It wasn't the food as we ate at the Thai-stall. I think it's time to give "this novice nose" a much needed rest!

Suspended

Jul 28, 2012
An elderly lady was wearing Gucci Rush yesterday. I caught it on the breeze and, stunned by its massive presence, complimented her. She seemed pleased. I was taken by its chemical floral magnitude, like a small floral bomb going off. I'm still unsure if I enjoyed the experience.

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
Cashmere Mist again the other day. That's really popular here! I was probably at a doctor's office.

Also, lots of inexpensive musks about in the corridors at work lately. Must be the warm weather and warm bodies projecting it.

Hat and Beard

Apr 10, 2012
Not necessarily on "the street" per se, but a lady that I work was wearing Jo Malone: Oud & Bergamot. I didn't recognize it right off, but it smelled familiar and I asked.

NebelGeîst

Jan 10, 2016
I'm smelling several times a day Dior Sauvage. In most cases overdosed. Had smelled a few times Joop! Homme the past few weeks, mostly on younger folks, which I find a bit strange and funny. Seems like it has a kind of renaissance. I actually liked it, but although it might me more mass friendly nowadays with less nuclear power, I much prefere the vintage version. But it it doesn't fit me any longer anyway, so no need to complain.
Some weeks ago in a Turkish fast food restaurant a young woman worn Khaltat al Oudh by Rasasi, which really surprised me.

Suspended

Jul 28, 2012
I got lovely wafts of Coco by Chanel. I complimented the lady and the next thing I knew I was in the midst of a full on hug. Took me by surprise.

HORNS

May 18, 2008
A lady in her thirties came into my office today wearing Chanel No 19 - I impulsively, because I was so excited to smell it, said, "You're wearing Chanel No 19!!", for which she blushed for that invasion of her corporeal privacy and therefore made the smell even stronger. I quickly told her how I loved that fragrance, followed by the story behind the perfume and the use of Iranian galbanum back in the 1970s. We had a great conversation about perfumes after that. In the end, she kept giving me this look which indicated that she thought I was a little weird about the whole subject. To many, this hobby and passion is quite esoteric.

I can't get out of my head the lovely art professor I met who was wearing the last bit of her long-signature Vent Vert and was recommended by her friends to try No 19 as an alternative, which she didn't really like. I never smelled Vent Vert prior to our meeting - the vintage is surely irreplaceable due to the oakmoss I detected.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
she kept giving me this look which indicated that she thought I was a little weird about the whole subject. To many, this hobby and passion is quite esoteric.

I wish I could've been there. She may have been wondering what else you might know about her.

7thDayAventus

Banned
May 1, 2017
I recently reboarded the Aventus hype train after immediately picking it out on my Uber driver here in LA. He smelled fantastic. I noticed the pineapple note immediately and begrudgingly asked, 'You're wearing Aventus yeah?" Now I'm chasing batches like cocaine in a carpet.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
After spending 4 days in NYC, I smelled at least 15 different things, and I spent the majority of my time in the "woods" in Central Park so that's saying something. There were the ever present sporty aquatic numbers, almost invariably on working class type folks (unloading trucks, doing construction, etc.) which I found interesting, although one was on an oversprayed/freshly sprayed man in the elevator with me, 55-60, Spongebob t-shirt, cargo shorts, Teva sandals with white socks halfway up his calves - no joke. I only asked 3 people on the street what they were wearing, they all happily obliged and seemed flattered:

Woman 1 (I'd guess late 60's, early 70's): Bal d'Afrique - Byredo
Woman 2 (I'd guess 30-35): Chanel No. 22 parfum
Man (I'd guess 45-50): Sunday Cologne - Byredo

I asked these people because I thought they smelled both extraordinarily unique and really good. I was surprised to hear that two of them were wearing Byredo, not just because of the coincidence (I was reminded of Hat and Beard's post about Oud Immortelle, also in NYC) but because I've smelled both fragrances before and didn't really like them. But on these people, both Bal d'Afrique and Sunday Cologne smelled awesome and totally stood out from what I typically smelled. Small sample size to be sure, but I have a feeling it's popular in the city.

Bal d'Afrique looked like a bazillionaire; super smartly dressed, stunning silver straight shoulder-length hair, still gorgeous with no obvious surgery, and just had that air about her. I was a little intimidated to be honest. No. 22 was my age and sort of bohemian/hipster chic, like she worked in some trendy East Village clothing boutique or was a hostess at a pretentious vegan restaurant. I was slightly disappointed that I didn't have it pegged as a Chanel, but when she said so it made sense. Sunday Cologne was your typical Wall Street banker type; dressed sharply, expensive looking shoes, lives in Greenwich and has a cheating wife with cocaine habit. Maybe not though.

It was fun for me to smell multiple things throughout the day. Where I live and work, it's a rare thing to smell something new, aside from the 2-3 people I know that wear the same thing every day.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
banker type; dressed sharply, expensive looking shoes, lives in Greenwich and has a cheating wife with cocaine habit. Maybe not though.

Your powers of observation and your imagination are both quite disarming, IsoE.

This gave me a little chill of fear -- for the sorts of stories people may concoct about me when they smell all the strange (beastly) scents I wear.

Pallas Athena

Jun 30, 2015
Next time ask about the social strata and try guessing the fragrance based on that knowledge. Are people really so quick to judge others by the looks? I'm tempted to post my photo in the pic thread just to see what archetype mold I unconsciously filled.

Miss Hesta Jones

Jan 27, 2016
Penhaligons' Halfeti at work the other day. Yesterday, Tuscan Leather, seemingly on a young, scruffy student. Seemed a little incongruous on him.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

troybklynny

Jul 28, 2015
Coco Mademoiselle on any 20-30 something woman is a good chance, Chanel No. 5 by an older woman that works at the supermarket.
On men, mostly aquatics, AdG and Nautica Voyage.
Nothing interesting around here, I guess I fill that void for the area.
I've gotten the stank eye a few times wearing pretty unassuming stuff (Eau Sauvage Parfum once), and they get the "yeah? and?" face in return.
Perfumery in the mainstream has gotten so one track, "dont offend me", "It better not be interesting, but pleasing".
Why why WHY did I have to read this!! I'm wearing it right now, lol.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Hat and Beard

Apr 10, 2012
Today it was Burberry: Touch for Men. I've smelled Le Labo: Santal 33 on about a billion people since my last post as well. I also smell a lot of people wearing one of any of the thousands of renditions of Egyptian Musk Oil that are on the market.

Last edited:

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
-Cashmere Mist again last week at another doc office in Memphis
-I think it was Aqua Allegoria Pamplelune at WalMart in Cordova TN last week
-Obsession for Men in the auditorium at work
-Angel several times in Chicago this weekend
-some kind of Oud in the Palmer House
-some musk at Midway Airport

Purpose

May 23, 2017
I smelled. What i thought to be ch men prive on a lady at the grocery store.

When she walked passed me i was like no way that has to be a female clone or something. The reason i recognized it was because I just bought my brother a bottle for his birthday & I smell it quite often.

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
I was walking in the street and a massive linebacker of a man was walking towards me. As he passed I smelled his Aqua de Gio and while nothing out of the ordinary, it really smelled good. Similarly, a guy in the office lobby today walked by and was wearing good old Polo--I always forget how great that smells, when worn in moderation. Finally, I took a shortcut through Macy's and as I walked past the Chanel counter, a woman spritzed from the sampler of No. 19. Amazing stuff, especially in the topnotes.

Latest News