Small amounts of Oudh available

jsparla

Jun 5, 2011
Always wanted to try Oudh in your perfume compositions and formulations?
During my last visit to Vietnam, i was able to sample and buy small quantities of Vietnamese Oudh, at an affordable price.
I'd like to share these Oudh varieties with my dear blog followers.
Read my blog site for availability and pricing

edit: updated info on blog post

Last edited:

rhusse

Jul 18, 2017
I have some of Jeroen's "round" oudh. Even though I am new here, I know something good when it comes along. The problem is, is that it is not good, it literally is so fantastic I am at a loss for words. I've just started playing with it and it actually turned some weak Sandalwood that I bought into the great old Sandalwood that is no longer available. It's the truth, I kid you not. Not only did just a single drop of his oudh do this but in addition the Sandalwood became about 100X stronger than straight out of the bottle. This scent is the most awesome thing that I have ever smelled. My roommate walked in and said, "whoa! what is that smell?, whatever you are working on now is perfect, don't do anything else to it!" I have to get more of this no doubt about it.

Michele Guenter

Aug 8, 2017
My order of Jeroen's round oudh arrived yesterday and I'm super happy with it. Okay I'm new here too and new to DIY perfume so I don't have much to compare it with but this oudh smells really great. I remember a smell from a beautiful apartment my parents rented in Rio de Janeiro in the 70's. It was such a delicious exotic smell and I haven't smelt anything like it since - until I opened the vial of round oudh from Jeroen and the smell, memories and joy were let loose. I'm really looking forward to working with this oudh. The communication and transaction with Jerone were very easy and the shipping was fast for my part of the world. Jerone also included a sample of the rough oudh and it's equally beautiful.

jsparla

Jun 5, 2011
More of that round oud?
Thank you for your question. At the moment I have only ‘Oudh sharp’ variety available. I will return from Vietnam by the end of November and will bring new ones based on my selection. I expect to bring the ‘round variety’ too.

jsparla

Jun 5, 2011
I never tried Vietnamese oud. How does it compare to Burmese, Indian, Cambodian and Thai oud?

Hi Birdie,
A good question, that takes a long answer... First of all, true Oudh or Agarwood is an all natural product, pure with no additions. If you compare different Agarwoods, within a country and across countries, you will always find differences implicit by the natural nature. You can compare it with rose attars and rose essential oils for instance. Depending on the specific variety, the moment of harvest, the soil and location, the way of extraction all influence the eventual smell of the product.
Is one type of agarwood better than another one? Smells one rose better than another one? And even so after being processed? Yes, i think so.
For agarwood, it's complicated to define what is best: so many people so many likes.
Many people for instance like the 'infested', 'rotten', 'barnyard' smell which is so typical for agarwood. It's hard to describe, but once smelled, you will recognise it immediately. And this typical smell comes in a lot of varieties and strengths. Some people love it, some people hate it. I personally like it to some extend. But it can be quickly become an 'off scent' or 'too much' during the extraction process. In that case it goes like 'burned rubber' or the inside of worn tennis shoes. Ough.
Another quality is the ever changing scent of a good agarwood: it's non-lineair and flashes with bitter sweet aspects, spices and lingering notes that reminds on raisins, prunes, precious woods like Sandal and bright aspects during evaporation. Evaporation that lasts at least a few weeks on a smelling strip at room temperature.
Some agarwoods tend to be more spicy, some more sweet and indulgent, some lack the punch of barnyard and so good you would eat or drink them (and the best can actually used that way).
Does every country provide different qualities and different agarwoods? Yes.
So comparing between all these countries is difficult.
For what i have learned during my travels, sampling many agarwoods, i can only tell you that i have found a few that match what i value in agarwood and suits my personal needs. I had the luck to be in direct contact with small scale farmers in Vietnam and be able to discuss different extraction methods and seek for the best qualities possible, to my personal standards.
I have found PI1 and PI2 as shown on my blog, to be excellent for blending in perfume formulations. They both act more or less as ambergris: a fixative and blender, smoothing out rough edges in composition and adding depth and texture. PI1 has a bit more of the 'barnyard' aspect, while PI2 is completely smooth, sweet and round. There performance is equal. It's the woody nephew of ambergris so to say.
On the other end of the spectrum i have chosen AG1, AG4 and AG6 as three 'high end' exceptional quality agarwoods that are so rich, full, harmonious, sweet and indulgent scents, it's beyond compare. The main differences are that AG1 is completely clean in terms of infested smells. It's the royal queen of agarwoods in terms of strength, sweetness, spiciness, and should probably worn by it's own. It's a perfume on it's own. (But i also used traces to enhance my woody and oriental perfumes: wow!).
AG4 is much like AG1, but has more complex aspects of the animal / barnyard spectrum. Not too much, but present. I found AG6 particularly interesting because it brings some ash/smoke aspects to the spectrum.
Well, long answer for your short question: i believe all countries mentioned provide many different agarwoods in many qualities. The puzzle is to find the ones you like, perform exceptional, and are good value for money. I did in Vietnam :) and am happy to share a few drops with the perfume enthousiasts on this community.
Happy perfuming!

birdie

Dec 11, 2016
Thanks a lot for your answer Jsparla. Very interesting. Oudh is my favorite EO and I have sampled the ones I mentioned in different qualities from different importers. I think there is a least common denominator for the country of origin even though the quality differs greatly. Not sure I have seen the top grade oils you mention though, next time I'll ask for them. Guess I'll also have to take a trip to Vietnam.. :)

/Pelle

jsparla

Jun 5, 2011
I think there is a least common denominator for the country of origin even though the quality differs greatly.
Yes, probably. This site has summed up some denominators ;) http://www.agaraura.com/wood.html
For the Vietnamese Agarwoods i have, i can second the sweetness mentioned in the summary. And it's also true most of the farmers i've met indeed supply Japanese incense companies too.

Last edited:

Latest News