Slurping the Peleton Kool-Aid

finsfan

Aug 6, 2003
My wife and I joined a gym as I turned 60. I had read that as you age it’s more important to do a little bit of weight work and strengthening your core is good for balance issues. Not only that but I could stand to lose 15 pounds. I was doing pretty good and working out with some weights primarily using back exercises, and I was using an elliptical machine. I just found that to me was a lot more beneficial than running on a treadmill or running outside. However after I was hospitalized for Covid in January, my lung capacity is somewhat diminished. I can get winded bend it over picking up weeds are tying my shoes. I have not gone to the gym as much as I did before.

I’ve visited my daughter this past weekend in Atlanta and they love their peloton bike. My daughter is a type a like me and she thrives on the leaderboard. Instead of wandering around aimlessly in a gym, she likes having an instructor telling her what to do. My son-in-law is an experienced bike racer, and while he puts on a class, he will stand up in petal hard and increase resistance before they say to do so in the class. I was able to do 6 minutes at a faster pace then when I tried the bikes at the gym and I think it is because of the instructor and also a glance at the leaderboard to make sure I was not last

So I was wondering if anybody had any peloton experiences, positive or negative, and any suggestions for accessories, shoes, or any other advice

Last edited:

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
No experience with Peleton. You and I are very different jellybeans. I have lifted weights consistently since I was around 19, and I use a 3 day per week whole body approach. I am 53. I like to lift alone or with my son. I like to blast music in my home gym while I lift. Music gives me energy. I strive for 3 sets of 12 reps on each exercise. I have adapted to suit my body as I age. No more weights that I can't move for at least 8 reps.

I used to lift in a high school weight room until I was around 32 or so, and I really enjoyed the camaraderie. It can push you to train a bit harder, but I love the convenience of my home gym.

Something I cleaned the dust off recently was my recumbent bike. Much prefer it to the treadmill. I can put my earbuds in and watch TV while I pedal. I can burn about 350 calories in 45 minutes. I try to do 5 days per week on that.

While I thrived on competition when I was younger, these days I just measure my results by looking at others in my age bracket. If I look better than most of them, I'm winning.

But to each their own. The best exercise is one you will do. If the Peleton makes you look forward to working out, then that's the best choice for you.

I had an elliptical, but it was so difficult for me that I quickly sold it. Yikes. I'll stick to lifting and biking.

zerofox

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020
We passed on Peloton after very careful review of their contract and data use. But we had a worthy option using a high-end Specialized with a Wahoo KICKR, a stationary bike trainer accessory. It was a godsend during isolation and continues to be a wonderful choice for our family member with mobility impairment. Physical therapy has helped as well. We’ve seen noticeable gains in cardiovascular endurance and evening of gait with no injury.

finsfan

Aug 6, 2003
my recumbent bike. Much prefer it to the treadmill. I can put my earbuds in and watch TV while I pedal. I can burn about 350 calories in 45 minutes. I try to do 5 days per week on that.

While I thrived on competition when I was younger, these days I just measure my results by looking at others in my age bracket. If I look better than most of them, I'm winning.

But to each their own. The best exercise is one you will do. If the Peleton makes you look forward to working out, then that's the best choice for you.

Thank you. By the way I was in Sandy Springs this past weekend. I liked the elliptical. Tried for 350 calories in 30 minutes, Pre-Covid, my best was 27 minutes, 15 seconds. Now? 15 minutes without stopping and 150 calories and I am spent. Just cant seem to want to go get in the car and whip out 15 minutes. or do say 3 sets of 10 lifts on 4 or 5 machines. Thinking it might be so much easier to crank out 6 minutes, build up, on the Peloton and say on Saturday, I can do that 2 or 3 times.

- - - Updated - - -

We passed on Peloton after very careful review of their contract and data use. But we had a worthy option using a high-end Specialized with a Wahoo KICKR, a stationary bike trainer accessory. It was a godsend during isolation and continues to be a wonderful choice for our family member with mobility impairment along. Physical therapy has helped as well. We’ve seen noticeable gains in cardiovascular endurance and evening of gait with no injury.

Have seen about bike delays but what about data? And what about the contract? Private message me if you think we need to talk and we can swap numbers if you want.

Yes, saw others using another brand of bike and then using the personal app (13.00 a month) and mount their phone or Ipad.

My son says it gives him a better cardiovascular workout, deeper was the word he said, and he sleeps better, And this is a guy that went to the gym (still does) to lift and stretch and he even did a full IronMan when he was mid 20's (he is 33 now)

- - - Updated - - -

And I wear a size 9 dress shoe (42) and 10.5 or 11 in say Nike or Hoka running shoe as when I run, my toes like to splay. I read that the Peloton says get your normal size, others say they are a bit small. I am thinking maybe a 43 and will have room and the buckle harness system can tighten across the top of the foot?

ChuckW

Aug 21, 2001
Thank you. By the way I was in Sandy Springs this past weekend. I liked the elliptical. Tried for 350 calories in 30 minutes, Pre-Covid, my best was 27 minutes, 15 seconds. Now? 15 minutes without stopping and 150 calories and I am spent. Just cant seem to want to go get in the car and whip out 15 minutes. or do say 3 sets of 10 lifts on 4 or 5 machines. Thinking it might be so much easier to crank out 6 minutes, build up, on the Peloton and say on Saturday, I can do that 2 or 3 times.

If you liked the elliptical, you are a better man than I, Gunga Din! It obliterated me to the point I hated it. If you're 60, you really need to watch your recovery and rest. You seem to prefer the cardio to weights, so maybe 2 days of moderate lifting and 3 days of cardio per week (alternating days between cardio and lifting) to get started. Then you can build up as you recover and get your breath back.

zerofox

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020
I think it’s reasonable to request a physical therapy referral from the GP. Given this set of facts (age, diminished lung capacity, COVID-related rehabilitation) the GP and PT might support the Peloton as a medical device eligible for tax deduction. Whether you prefer Peloton or another smart bike trainer is personal choice. To put a bottom line on for OP: I weight train because I (sadly) am after serious gainz. Everyone else in the family does hard Tai Chi, stationary bikes, swimming, and tennis. As the sole female left in the family I need the muscle just to keep up.

finsfan

Aug 6, 2003
I did the bike, the one where it is more recumbant than the peloton. Had a tv monitor though I used my phone and headphones for Spotify. Thought it was not hard enough, and well, went to the elliptical. I was going by how fast I could burn calories. Just kept after it. And yes, I prefer cardio. I was, maybe when i was 45ish, going to do a half marathon and ran. Best I did was 8 miles in 90 minutes without stopping. Then I stopped. Still have the tights and gloves and stuff for winter.

But now it is more serious. Suit pants are harder to buckle that inner button - lol.

Scenting, thanks for your post. I was x-rayed in the hospital stay first week in January. Then at my Primary care doctor (internal medicine) in March and I go back August 12th for a general physical and another Xray. I have calcification on the lower parts of each lung, and yes, he said that could turn to scarring or be a precursor to other stuff. He said work out as best I can. I still cut my yard, go for walks, but I can get winded carrying the vacuum cleaner up stairs and vacuuming. But the tax angle, never thought of that. Wow, what a great idea

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
I exclusively lift weights for exercise, with an emphasis on heavy barbell compound movements (like powerlifting - but I don't compete). I can see how the Peloton would be a great tool for doing cardio from home. Personally, I'd rather go outside on a run than spend the money on Peloton, given the options.

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
The equipment seems well made, and from what I've seen, people who wanted it and got it have used it.

zerofox

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 31, 2020
Oh my goodness, finsfan. I wish you a slow and steady recovery. Very surprised you were not sent to a pulmo for long term rehabilitation by your GP! If your preventative care is best served by Peloton’s robust service model then I think you are an ideal user. You’ll want to be at least generally aware of the data security trade-offs in your IOT vulnerabilities. We could not (as opposed simple preference) bring a device that insecure into our network under work-from-home conditions. That is not part of the average calculus. Just be sure to thoroughly review the contract before signing.

Latest News