Slumberhouse Discussion

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Finally got Winter Kiste in my hands.

I think this version of Kiste is what Josh wanted Mond to be from the very start. Why? It's ruby red. We all know he loves playing with words, but this juice is seriously RED. The purple hue of the velvet pouch is chosen aptly. I can't say I've never seen a colour of the perfume similar to this, but this is rather rare. And I am willing to believe this is all natural.

Candied peaches dipped in honey sirup with whispering tobacco that comes and goes. Also, the tea note is AMAZING. On my skin it's present throughout most of the development of Winter Kiste. I wouldn't say it's lapsang souchong tea though, just strong, black tea.

I've often read Slumberhouse fragrances have got no top notes. But this, along with Sova (and Mond) might be the most complex Slumberhouse that Josh Lobb has ever created.... At least to me and my amateurish (in purpose of Slumberhouse offerings) nose.

Attachments

• 316358263_857302775684923_4822189254448949608_n.jpg
    316358263_857302775684923_4822189254448949608_n.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 19
Aug 26, 2022
I’m wearing Maher Olfactive’s Treachery today which I’ve owned for quite a while now. For the first time I’m picking up some serious Kiste vibes in the heart. This isn’t a 1:1 by any means and they’re completely different fragrances but Treachery has this sweet peach meets apricot meets cherry heart accord that’s slathered in strong, spicy, unlit pipe tobacco with a heaping dose of Smokey/peaty scotch.

I’m not sure if I love this yet but it does make me wish Kiste had a stronger tobacco note. Kiste is ultimately a superior fragrance all around but for pipe tobacco lovers I think Treachery is worth sampling (if you don’t mind a little cherry with your peaches).

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
I’m wearing Maher Olfactive’s Treachery today which I’ve owned for quite a while now. For the first time I’m picking up some serious Kiste vibes in the heart. This isn’t a 1:1 by any means and they’re completely different fragrances but Treachery has this sweet peach meets apricot meets cherry heart accord that’s slathered in strong, spicy, unlit pipe tobacco with a heaping dose of Smokey/peaty scotch.

I’m not sure if I love this yet but it does make me wish Kiste had a stronger tobacco note. Kiste is ultimately a superior fragrance all around but for pipe tobacco lovers I think Treachery is worth sampling (if you don’t mind a little cherry with your peaches).
I’ve got a large sample of Treachery and to me similarities between that and Kiste 2022 are NONE. But, that’s me and my skin.

If I had to pick, I’d say it has some similarities with Ore (because of cocoa pods).
I’d rather say, that Treachery is a distant relative of Ore with those cherries, and maybe a hint of Jeke 2022. But I wouldn’t say it has a lot of tobacco in it. Overall as a scent Treachery reminds me of Mugler A*Men Taste of a Fragrance more than anything.

Last edited:

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Finally got Winter Kiste in my hands.

I think this version of Kiste is what Josh wanted Mond to be from the very start. Why? It's ruby red. We all know he loves playing with words, but this juice is seriously RED. The purple hue of the velvet pouch is chosen aptly. I can't say I've never seen a colour of the perfume similar to this, but this is rather rare. And I am willing to believe this is all natural.

Candied peaches dipped in honey sirup with whispering tobacco that comes and goes. Also, the tea note is AMAZING. On my skin it's present throughout most of the development of Winter Kiste. I wouldn't say it's lapsang souchong tea though, just strong, black tea.

I've often read Slumberhouse fragrances have got no top notes. But this, along with Sova (and Mond) might be the most complex Slumberhouse that Josh Lobb has ever created.... At least to me and my amateurish (in purpose of Slumberhouse offerings) nose.
That looks and sounds delicious!

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
I still think neither Winter Kiste, nor Mond don't have the density and weight of Sova nor Baque, or Norne. In my opinion Josh's style has significantly evolved within those 9-10 years. He decided to make less linear, less coarse compositions, maybe a little (or more than little) thinner, but more complex in terms of development.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021

Wow, this flask bottle painted in white looks quite awesome to me :D

„2023 will be the year when so much effort and so many of these projects will finally pay off. Just grateful people have been so supportive. Super cliche but Slumberhouse supporters/fans/customers have blown my mind with their patience, kindness, thoughtfullness. No idea how this happened but I’m going to pay them back very soon.”

Josh Lobb

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Anything -Firs I'd gladly check out, sniff and test, but no matter what anyone here says, Slumberhouse is not the brand that holds the title "conifer master" to me.

I love Norne, not for it being unique, because it's not to me. I love it for the clove note, that I always want to get and sniff, and sadly and apparently I am not getting it. This clove note is ABSOLUTELY TO DIE FOR.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Anything -Firs I'd gladly check out, sniff and test, but no matter what anyone here says, Slumberhouse is not the brand that holds the title "conifer master" to me.

I love Norne, not for it being unique, because it's not to me. I love it for the clove note, that I always want to get and sniff, and sadly and apparently I am not getting it. This clove note is ABSOLUTELY TO DIE FOR.
What have you smelled before Norne that does what Norne does, Martin?

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
You know the answer, Proust. You know it very well. And I have to clarify and make a statement, that Norne was first, before the latter ones I am talking about.

Norne is sort of generic to me too. But in a good way! For many years I own a lot of bottles of Ralph Lauren Polo. That was the one my dad used to use in a heavy, regular rotation. At the moment he uses it from time to time but he gave me all those bottles. This is the originator to me, eventhough Norne does nor straight remind of Polo, nor does not straight resemble Polo. It is not a copy of Polo. But to me, EVERYTIME I use Norne, I am thinking of Polo. And of my dad.

Later on I smelled Murkwood.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
So, year after year Josh says the next one will be the most intensive in Slumberhouse history, that no one has seen in many years - a lot of new things coming - more less like that. He said that about 2, 3 and 4th quarter of 2022 and now he said it in instagram post.

Speech is silver, silence is gold. Less speaking, more doing. Please.

🙏

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
You know the answer, Proust. You know it very well. And I have to clarify and make a statement, that Norne was first, before the latter ones I am talking about.

Norne is sort of generic to me too. But in a good way! For many years I own a lot of bottles of Ralph Lauren Polo. That was the one my dad used to use in a heavy, regular rotation. At the moment he uses it from time to time but he gave me all those bottles. This is the originator to me, eventhough Norne does nor straight remind of Polo, nor does not straight resemble Polo. It is not a copy of Polo. But to me, EVERYTIME I use Norne, I am thinking of Polo. And of my dad.

I think you sort of have a couple things tangled up here. You have scent memory of Polo, which is normal. I personally think fondly of one particular Christmas Tree and one specific memory of my grandmother when I smell Norne. Norne doesn’t actually smell like a Christmas tree, there’s quite a bit of moss and incense and yes clove in it. And it’s kind of pissy. So Polo is your Christmas tree. It triggers a memory. Norne of course doesn’t really smell that much like Polo. This is fine.

The other one, where you defend the originality of Murkwood while saying Norne is not unique because it smells like Murkwood. It drives me a little crazy, being in a band that’s been ripped off a gazillion times in the 2000’s by bands that got MUCH bigger than us. Every so often someone would come up to me after a show and say, ‘yeah you guys are cool, you kind of sound like(insert on of the bands that ripped us off).’ It’s frustrating to innovate and pour your heart and time into something, only for someone with a better marketing sense to rip it off and pass as their own, ONLY TO BE COMPARED TO THEM AS IF YOU WERE THE UNORIGINAL ONE.

I think you wisely understand that this line of thought only brings shame to the venerable Slumberhouse thread(and even further it brings further unflattering comparison with the other house, who I think most people on this thread feel mostly good sentiments towards).

I honestly thought you were going to bring up Serge Lutens who probably did have some influence on Josh’s resinous scents. I still think they’re wildly different but I get the Fille en Aiguilles comparison(imho the texture is too thick for it to feel derivative but if you look at the timelines, I’d have to imagine Josh had smelled this one).

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
I think you sort of have a couple things tangled up here. You have scent memory of Polo, which is normal. I personally think fondly of one particular Christmas Tree and one specific memory of my grandmother when I smell Norne. Norne doesn’t actually smell like a Christmas tree, there’s quite a bit of moss and incense and yes clove in it. And it’s kind of pissy. So Polo is your Christmas tree. It triggers a memory. Norne of course doesn’t really smell that much like Polo. This is fine.

The other one, where you defend the originality of Murkwood while saying Norne is not unique because it smells like Murkwood. It drives me a little crazy, being in a band that’s been ripped off a gazillion times in the 2000’s by bands that got MUCH bigger than us. Every so often someone would come up to me after a show and say, ‘yeah you guys are cool, you kind of sound like(insert on of the bands that ripped us off).’ It’s frustrating to innovate and pour your heart and time into something, only for someone with a better marketing sense to rip it off and pass as their own, ONLY TO BE COMPARED TO THEM AS IF YOU WERE THE UNORIGINAL ONE.

I think you wisely understand that this line of thought only brings shame to the venerable Slumberhouse thread(and even further it brings further unflattering comparison with the other house, who I think most people on this thread feel mostly good sentiments towards).

I honestly thought you were going to bring up Serge Lutens who probably did have some influence on Josh’s resinous scents. I still think they’re wildly different but I get the Fille en Aiguilles comparison(imho the texture is too thick for it to feel derivative but if you look at the timelines, I’d have to imagine Josh had smelled this one).
Yeah, when I first smelled Norne I thought Fille on Augilles by Serge Lutens. But it reminds me much more of that old Polo now. If I were Josh, I would be even more proud that someone compares his scent to legendary Carlos Benaim, and his legendary Polo.

I don't think I have ever said anywhere Norne smells like Murkwood or vice versa. I can't see the similarities and I don't understand, why these two are being compared all the time.

No piss in none of them whatsoever.... I shouldn't but I will say this. I can't draw clearer lines. Murkwood to me smells like smoky tea with some sweet smoke, probably from myrrh and incense, and conifers way in the background. Where Norne has conifers right up there in the forefront. Thick conifer syrup with some spices, mainly cloves, not really being that sharp. And no incense whatsoever. Not to me. Not on my skin.

No offence, but Murkwood to me stands on its very own, although made almost 10 years after Norne was created.

God

Dec 24, 2014
What’s odd to me is those look like final production bottles. Did Josh pay someone to make a Zahdanne logo just to use it on a few bottles? Is the flask bottle spray painted? I don’t get it if these are experiments.

It certainly makes sense for a perfumer to have projects that don’t release… but the seemingly final names and bottles make it feel like this was a secret thing that nobody knew about. In that case it’s weird to make a long post about it where he says “you can’t get this; if you don’t like it then go buy all the other perfumes coming out” when he knows people hang onto his every word.

(And what happened to black grev?!)

brothernature

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 22, 2020
What’s odd to me is those look like final production bottles. Did Josh pay someone to make a Zahdanne logo just to use it on a few bottles? Is the flask bottle spray painted? I don’t get it if these are experiments.

It certainly makes sense for a perfumer to have projects that don’t release… but the seemingly final names and bottles make it feel like this was a secret thing that nobody knew about. In that case it’s weird to make a long post about it where he says “you can’t get this; if you don’t like it then go buy all the other perfumes coming out” when he knows people hang onto his every word.

(And what happened to black grev?!)
Well there are rumors that can address your last paragraph if you dig hard enough into it...

There are a lot of connected folks aka Baque to Black and Black Grev owners that know more than us.

It doesn't seem like Black Grev will be released to the public at all, or at least any time soon.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
What have you smelled before Norne that does what Norne does, Martin?

I don't think I have ever said anywhere Norne smells like Murkwood or vice versa. I can't see the similarities and I don't understand, why these two are being compared all the time.

Ok……….

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Aubergine Firs. And possibly Alabaster Firs.

I don’t know anything about the latter one. Maybe someone got a sample somewhere by accident. I don’t know.

I’ve checked and tracked the history of Aubergine Firs quite thoroughly. Josh had announced it around late 2018 or in 2019. Every time after that, every now and then, again and again he said „it’s in progress”, then at the end of 2021 he said it’s „almost ready”. I’m curious for several reasons. For example: what is his concept of different, sweeter take on fir and conifers, will he be consequent and release it, or change the name, last but not least - what will be the quantity of that release. He mentioned that everyone wanting that fragrance will be able to purchase the bottle.

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Martin, you’re the one comparing Norne to Murkwood. Then when I engage you on it you say you can’t believe anyone compares Murkwood to Norne. I don’t really know how to talk to you, since I don’t know you IRL and I don’t understand the circumstances that might lead you to make such contradictory, nonsensical statements. I don’t know your health or memory or any of that stuff, so I really don’t feel like I have an answer for you that would help the situation. Except that when you said, “Norne is not unique. You know what I’m talking about… Murkwood.” And then when I pointed out that it’s sounds like you think Murkwood is not unique, since Norne came first, you said, “I don’t know why people compare them.”

Just to be clear, I’ve never compared them.
You have. All I can gather is that you somehow think Norne is too much like Murkwood but Murkwood is nothing like Norne.

There’s a chance that I’m the one in this thread who looks the most foolish: I’ve tried to read the great American novel in a bowl of Spaghettios.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Okay, You're right Madeleine. Let's cut it there, shall we? I did what I did. I apologize EVERYONE that might have felt touched or insulted by my words. I obviously love Slumberhouse, otherwise I wouldn't be here spamming all the time and paying heavy money on Ebay bottles (like I recently did with Norne).

I promise I'll TRY spamming way less.

Paddington

Marmalade Sandwich Eater
Basenotes Plus
Jun 17, 2021
Okay, You're right Madeleine. Let's cut it there, shall we? I did what I did. I apologize EVERYONE that might have felt touched or insulted by my words. I obviously love Slumberhouse, otherwise I wouldn't be here spamming all the time and paying heavy money on Ebay bottles (like I recently did with Norne).

I promise I'll TRY spamming way less.
your allowed to say what you want mate and how you feel towards perfume 🤷‍♂️

Proust_Madeleine

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2019
Post as much as you want, Martin. Please just leave the Pineward/Slumberhouse drama somewhere else(and I’ll do my best not to take the bait). At this point, I honestly feel for Nick to be dragged through it in here, every couple of pages.

And Martin! I like a lot of your posts! I just don’t want to see the PW/SH wars return, then the moderators come in and have to erase pages of posts. You are a valued member of the community and I don’t want to silence you!

I just think we should leave PW in the PW thread when at all possible.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...