Slumberhouse Discussion

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
I think Mond reminds me the most of apple cider right after spraying, or maybe mulled wine (but mulled wine made mainly with apples, which is rather unusual). Yes, it has got a creaminess to it. Later on it leans much more towards Sova (hay!)

I own my bottle for a while now and returning to it quite often, I think it has grown as my favourite from the line - I might even be the only one or one of the very few people that love Mond so much. Not a winter warmer, but perfect for the fall weather that we have at the moment.

I can say that Mond has similar type of booze that Jeke 2022 has, but Jeke has it definitely on a much higher level.

About the similarity to Baque and/or Kiste - I'm not not sure.

I would eventually have to agree with @Jono@Folkwinds about the huge patchouli impact and influence in Mond. I can't see it in Kiste 2022 yet, but hopefully next week the long awaited bottle of Kiste is eventually mine.

Last edited:

Jono@Folkwinds

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2019
I’m wearing Mond today which was given to me as a gift, and I’m enjoying it much more than I did on initial release. The aromachem sweetness has toned way down, and the patchouli is front and center.

As far as hay scents go, though, Sova is still in a league of its own for me. It may be the greatest Hay fragrance of all time in my book. There’s something about the opening which is so addictive, and the drydown which is simply alluring.

I’ll also say, as far as performance goes, both are excellent, but Sova performs more to my preference than Mond. Mond PROJECTS, whereas Sova sort of levitates off of the skin a little bit, and lingers indefinitely.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Definitely. I wish Josh brought back Sova to life one day, even as an ultra small batch.

Sova along with Jeke and maybe also with Ore and Vikt are predecessors of most what he created next to me.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I think Mond reminds me the most of apple cider right after spraying, or maybe mulled wine (but mulled wine made mainly with apples, which is rather unusual). Yes, it has got a creaminess to it. Later on it leans much more towards Sova (hay!)

I own my bottle for a while now and returning to it quite often, I think it has grown as my favourite from the line - I might even be the only one or one of the very few people thay love Mond so much. Not a winter warmer, but perfect for the fall weather that we have at the moment.

I can say that Mond has similar type of booze that Jeke 2022 has, but Jeke has it definitely on a much higher level.

About the similarity to Baque and/or Kiste - I'm not not sure.

I would eventually have to agree with @Jono@Folkwinds about the huge patchouli impact and influence in Mond. I can't see it in Kiste 2022 yet, but hopefully next week the long awaited bottle of Kiste is eventually mine.
I also love Mond a lot.

Aug 26, 2022
I decided to wear Mond today as well.

Now that it’s cooler I get much more pronounced earthen quality. I also perceive some ISO e super in here? Anyone else pick up on that?

Aug 26, 2022
Kafka’s review of Kiste 2022 is pretty incredible. However I never picked up on the strong leathery associations that she did. She describes Kiste as being similar to HdP’s 1740 which I also fail to recognize in my own experience but it’s truly remarkable how she could pick up on that note.

Does anyone feel that Kiste is a leather fragrance?

“For example, early in the 4th hour or about 3.25 hours in, the leather note becomes the lead note and smells increasingly animalic, musky, and skanky on my skin, almost as if it had been doused with civet and castoreum. Plumes of smoke rise from it in equally strong intensity. All of it engulfs and overshadows the tobacco while also drying out further with every passing minute the honeyed, fruity, and boozy elements as compared to before. Still, the latter remain enough for me to think repeatedly to the davana booze, skanky leather, amber, and dark musk elements of Histoires de Parfums Marquis de Sade/1740 (minus the latter’s cumin or its leather ass-chaps imagery). 1740 is not an olfactory association that ever happened when I wore Kiste 2015. As a side note, the sense of any greenness from the isobutyl quinoline (or scotch heather?) vanishes as well.”

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
The only Slumberhouse fragrance I would classify as a leather (leather-based) scent is Sibet.

I've heard, that Sixes&Sevens had leather, but I haven't had an opportunity to verify that.

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
Kafka’s review of Kiste 2022 is pretty incredible. However I never picked up on the strong leathery associations that she did. She describes Kiste as being similar to HdP’s 1740 which I also fail to recognize in my own experience but it’s truly remarkable how she could pick up on that note.

Does anyone feel that Kiste is a leather fragrance?

“For example, early in the 4th hour or about 3.25 hours in, the leather note becomes the lead note and smells increasingly animalic, musky, and skanky on my skin, almost as if it had been doused with civet and castoreum. Plumes of smoke rise from it in equally strong intensity. All of it engulfs and overshadows the tobacco while also drying out further with every passing minute the honeyed, fruity, and boozy elements as compared to before. Still, the latter remain enough for me to think repeatedly to the davana booze, skanky leather, amber, and dark musk elements of Histoires de Parfums Marquis de Sade/1740 (minus the latter’s cumin or its leather ass-chaps imagery). 1740 is not an olfactory association that ever happened when I wore Kiste 2015. As a side note, the sense of any greenness from the isobutyl quinoline (or scotch heather?) vanishes as well.”
I saw that and, No! Zero leather, zero castoreum. How I wish there were leather and animalic notes in K22.
My (perhaps bum) nose says K22 is just sweet peach and tobacco finishing with a done so many times vanilla-benzoin type accord. Pretty good, certainly better than the original that was off the charts syrupy, but no leather or castoreum.

Jul 4, 2014
Finally getting a little cooler down here so I reached for Sova this morning.

I’ve always loved it but damn I forgot just how good it really is. My bottle has evolved a lot over the years, there’s less of that savory oniony hoppiness and more brownish raisiny hay than I remember from past wears.

While we sit In release purgatory: If you could only have one SH, regardless of availability or cost, what would it be? My vote is Sova :)

Jono@Folkwinds

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2019

I’ve always loved it but damn I forgot just how good it really is. My bottle has evolved a lot over the years, there’s less of that savory oniony hoppiness and more brownish raisiny hay than I remember from past wears.

While we sit In release purgatory: If you could only have one SH, regardless of availability or cost, what would it be? My vote is Sova :)
Sova by a mile.

Ore, Fjerne, Norne, Sibet and Kiste are all beautiful, and I wear them all regularly, but Sova touches my soul in a different way.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021

I know I might be the only one, but oh well...

That would be Mond.

Jul 4, 2014
I have a bottle of Sova, maybe used to 4 or 5 times, but It's just never really appealed to me for some reason. My vote would be for Sadanne, that combination of strawberry with rose and ambergris is simply wonderful. It reminds me of warm summer days in the country.
Sadanne is wonderful and under appreciated imo. Such a creative use of Ambergris.
Norne for me. Only one I have/want a full bottle of after trying most of the non-obscure ones. That said, I wouldn't mind picking up a decant/partial of Sova 😛
Norne was my original SH love that I was obsessed with for a few years but it feels slightly one dimensional to me after wearing it too many times. Still, with SH “one dimensional” is more complex and multifaceted than 99% of other scents out there lol.

God

Dec 24, 2014
For me it’s definitely Fjerne. It’s just gourmand and “pleasant” enough to be wearable every day while still having that woody, dusty weirdness that I love about SH. The re-release is just a touch sweeter but the original is perfect. I’ve sold on most of my other bottles but will be keeping this one forever.

Sova was close but I liked smelling it on the bottle more than wearing it.

Aug 26, 2022
I saw that and, No! Zero leather, zero castoreum. How I wish there were leather and animalic notes in K22.
My (perhaps bum) nose says K22 is just sweet peach and tobacco finishing with a done so many times vanilla-benzoin type accord. Pretty good, certainly better than the original that was off the charts syrupy, but no leather or castoreum.
Yeah the leathery castoreum, civet and smoke is something that went completely over my nose. I do agree that the sweetness being dialed down did wonders for new Kiste. Kafka also touched on some pretty key differences in the opening between the og and the new version. I agreed with everything up until the drydown aspects.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
I think I've said this already, but to me Mond is a younger sibling of Sova, with very prominent hay note.
Yeah the leathery castoreum, civet and smoke is something that went completely over my nose. I do agree that the sweetness being dialed down did wonders for new Kiste. Kafka also touched on some pretty key differences in the opening between the og and the new version. I agreed with everything up until the drydown aspects.
Strange:unsure:
Yet again, on the other hand older Kiste (a'la rectangular bottle) smelled animalic to me. So...

I find new Kiste to be a mature, darker alteration of its older sibling. In the new one there is a prominent tea note on my skin, which I couldn't detect in previous version.

Aug 26, 2022
I think I've said this already, but to me Mond is a younger sibling of Sova, with very prominent hay note.

Strange:unsure:
Yet again, on the other hand older Kiste (a'la rectangular bottle) smelled animalic to me. So...

I find new Kiste to be a mature, darker alteration of its older sibling. In the new one there is a prominent tea note on my skin, which I couldn't detect in previous version.
Kafka talks about that tea note. I believe she says it’s a Lapsong style tea note.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Interesting. From what I've read she mentions about detectable notes of castoreum, musk and birch tar, and also leather in Kiste 2022. I can't detect even traces of any singular of those, neither on paper strip, nor on my skin.

Also, I know how Lapsang Souchong smells (e.g. in previous Jeke versions, but not only), and I can also say I can't smell it in new Kiste.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...