Slumberhouse Discussion

Purpea

Basenotes Member
Apr 10, 2018
I just wanted to let you all know this:

When I made this last order from LuckyScent I simply put "Slumberhouse samples please" as my request. With the Winter Kiste that just arrived, there were Jeke, Mond, and Sova samples!

Maybe these were just old sample vials that were on hand, or maybe it is a sneak peek into this Autumn's offerings?

Last edited:

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Well, question is - how is Jeke sample compares to Jeke 22 and original one, and same thing for sova - how different is it to original?

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Speaking of people claiming this batch of Kiste 2022 being similar to Mond...

This is definitely not happening on my skin. Mond has a very clear and prominent dry hay note - which makes it comparable rather with Sova, not Kiste (2022). Also is much more spicy and sour, to me Kiste '22 is rather on sweet and smoky side. The tobacco is present in both, but in Mond it turns the spicy volume up, unlike in Kiste 22, where it turns the smoky volume up.

I can't tell there are any similarities between Kiste 2022 and Baque though.

I like both, but the two are DIFFERENT scents to me. I'd say I like them for different things. For now I'd say I still like Mond more.

Jono@Folkwinds

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2019

This is definitely not happening on my skin. Mond has a very clear and prominent dry hay note - which makes it comparable rather with Sova, not Kiste (2022). Also is much more spicy and sour, to me Kiste '22 is rather on sweet and smoky side. The tobacco is present in both, but in Mond it turns the spicy volume up, unlike in Kiste 22, where it turns the smoky volume up.

I like both, but the two are DIFFERENT scents to me. I'd say I like them for different things. For now I'd say I still like Mond more.
There’s two very prominent, very similar patchouli accords in both new Kiste and Mond…

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
BTW, I know that literally doesn't mean a thing, but I found notes breakdown of Kiste 2022 on parfumo.net and that picked my interest. The notes are slightly different from 2015 Kiste:

Pipe tobacco, peach, Scotch heather, tonka bean, honey, patchouli, elderberry, vanilla, oak, fissilised amber, benzoin.
Interesting question, will Winter Kiste take the place of Mond? I don't think so personally, but what do I know? In reality I have no idea.

Of note is Josh's post on Instagram about "sarkanais oktobra sirups" aka Red October Syrups. Josh said that is was the precursor of Mond. It's also red...like the new Winter Kiste. Is there any connection between Sarkanais Oktobra Sirups and Winter Kiste as well besides the fact that they are both dark red and the fact that Sarkanais Oktobra Sirups was the "precursor" of Mond and Winter Kiste has a Mond like presence at times? Probably variations of a theme that Josh has been working on and wanting to perfect. I know I'm enjoying both Mond and Winter Kiste...I love good fall fragrances so much! They make me happy.:giggle:

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Interesting question, will Winter Kiste take the place of Mond? I don't think so personally, but what do I know? In reality I have no idea.

Of note is Josh's post on Instagram about "sarkanais oktobra sirups" aka Red October Syrups. Josh said that is was the precursor of Mond. It's also red...like the new Winter Kiste. Is there any connection between Sarkanais Oktobra Sirups and Winter Kiste as well besides the fact that they are both dark red and the fact that Sarkanais Oktobra Sirups was the "precursor" of Mond and Winter Kiste has a Mond like presence at times? Probably variations of a theme that Josh has been working on and wanting to perfect. I know I'm enjoying both Mond and Winter Kiste...I love good fall fragrances so much! They make me happy.:giggle:
I was wearing Mond yesterday, and seriously, I can't see why people are comparing Mond to Kiste. Mond to me is much more in Sova and Baque realm. MUCH more. Kiste does not have hay, and hay is one of the 2-3 dominating (and I mean REALLY dominating) notes on my skin when it comes to Mond. That's one of the reasons, why I loved it so easily. On the other hand, I barely get patchouli or whipped cream on my skin.

Kiste is totally different from what Mond presents, both previous iteration, and 2022 version.

Of course, as usual, please take it as an opinion because it is one.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I was wearing Mond yesterday, and seriously, I can't see why people are comparing Mond to Kiste. Mond to me is much more in Sova and Baque realm. MUCH more. Kiste does not have hay, and hay is one of the 2-3 dominating (and I mean REALLY dominating) notes on my skin when it comes to Mond. That's one of the reasons, why I loved it so easily. On the other hand, I barely get patchouli or whipped cream on my skin.

Kiste is totally different from what Mond presents, both previous iteration, and 2022 version.

Of course, as usual, please take it as an opinion because it is one.
It all comes down to perception and as you said, “on your skin” you smell a lot of hay in Mond. I don’t smell a lot of hay from Mond on my skin where I do smell hay in Sova. Anyway, not a big deal. I do smell some Mond like notes in Winter Kiste. They are not identical…they have differences and I enjoy them both.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Is tobacolor good though?
I hear good things, but dior prive has been such a flop to me. Old ispahan was good and never tried mitzah, but rest is weak sauce

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
There’s two very prominent, very similar patchouli accords in both new Kiste and Mond…
This is what I’ve been trying to get across to people when I say there’s crossover between the scents. But people hear “mond” and think I was saying it’s identical to Mond. To my nose the similarities and crossover are unmistakable as they clearly share similar accords and the patch makes it’s more than noticeable to my nose. I don’t think it’s a direct copy or that it smells even 50% similar. I just think they share similarities in how they’re constructed. How they feel texturally. How the spices and patchouli present themselves AND the ambery drydowns.

Dr B1414

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 21, 2019
Is tobacolor good though?
I hear good things, but dior prive has been such a flop to me. Old ispahan was good and never tried mitzah, but rest is weak sauce
I'm curious myself tbh.
I agree, Dior Privee died many years ago. The original formulations of Oud Ispahan, Leather Oud, Mitzah, Eau Noire, Cuir Cannage are all good though.
Actually, current Mitzah is still nice so definitely give it a go.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020

You also say New Jeke doesn’t smell like syrup.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
I'm curious myself tbh.
I agree, Dior Privee died many years ago. The original formulations of Oud Ispahan, Leather Oud, Mitzah, Eau Noire, Cuir Cannage are all good though.
Will try to seak out.
Btw - PdB just arrived and its old packaging style, but batch code is 2019 one. A spray to test strip and its not as animalic as i remember it, and saffron is very upfront in this bottle. Just fyi

Dr B1414

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 21, 2019
Will try to seak out.
Btw - PdB just arrived and its old packaging style, but batch code is 2019 one. A spray to test strip and its not as animalic as i remember it, and saffron is very upfront in this bottle. Just fyi
Thanks. I'll be patiently waiting for a partial to pop up. Mine is 2015 or 2016 I believe. Maybe I'll try and get a sample of the more recent stuff and decide if it's still good enough. This one will no longer be in production.

Purpea

Basenotes Member
Apr 10, 2018
I also get similarities between Mond and Winter Kiste. It occurs mostly in the opening of WK: a certain golden, rounded sweet chord.
It could be based on a light, aged patchouli (which tends to smell woodier), but it feels very textural to me. I would bet that synthetics like Iso-E play a big part.
Also, the heather seems to be rather prominent in WK, which is hay-like.

brothernature

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 22, 2020
What I'll say right now will be extremely unpopular, I will be bashed for this etc. But...

Kiste 2022 goes a lot into Dior Tobacolor direction on my skin.
I saw someone else mention the same thing two days ago (on Facebook). I hated Tobacolor - luckily I don't get this from Kiste.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
I'm curious myself tbh.
To me new version of Leather Oud is much better than the "vintage" one. Cuir Cannage - I own a bottle produced before they reformulated the whole line. I dislike Eau Noire (licorice!) and I don't care for Mitzah - okay but leans feminine on my skin.

jholder

Jan 6, 2013
This is what I’ve been trying to get across to people when I say there’s crossover between the scents. But people hear “mond” and think I was saying it’s identical to Mond. To my nose the similarities and crossover are unmistakable as they clearly share similar accords and the patch makes it’s more than noticeable to my nose. I don’t think it’s a direct copy or that it smells even 50% similar. I just think they share similarities in how they’re constructed. How they feel texturally. How the spices and patchouli present themselves AND the ambery drydowns.
Agree, there are some very "in your face" similarities between Mond and new Kiste. Unfortunately for me, those similarities are primarily the cheap hobby lobby potpourri spices that i never liked in real life, or in these fragrances.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Agree, there are some very "in your face" similarities between Mond and new Kiste. Unfortunately for me, those similarities are primarily the cheap hobby lobby potpourri spices that i never liked in real life, or in these fragrances.
Nooooooo!

james1051

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 23, 2013
I actually think new Kiste is an improvement over the original, which to me was all too sweet syrupy like the liquid in a can of del monte peaches. The new one is less syrupy, thankfully. But its still sweet! Josh does love his sweeties.

I like the vanilla in new Kiste, also.

But as many of you have pointed out, new Kiste and Mond definitely share a spicey, fruity patch accord that is prominent in both. There is substantial overlap. I like both, but not sure I need both.

Feb 16, 2022
Tonight I started to smell the same fenugreek note in the WK dry down that I get in 2022 Jeke where others smell syrup. That fenugreek note grew on me in Jeke, and then started to bother me. I hope it doesn't follow the same trajectory in WK, which I've otherwise been loving so far

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
All I can say that reading the mini-reviews, opinions and expressions (quite hot hence the fragrance just hit the market) I am starting to wonder if I got the right sample and is it Kiste 2022 juice in it. I can say with all due respect to all of you here, not even a tiny similarity between Kiste 2022 and Mond for me. Like uhm, pears and apples. More less. To me definitely pears do not taste nor smell like apples.

However, I can say that I've tested previous Kiste and Mond resembles that old Kiste a bit.

What is even more interesting, recently I've discovered another facet of Kiste 2022. There is a tiny dry hay note in it, which instantly reminded me of Baque/Sova genre - but in that aspect only.

Also, peaches in old Kiste and peaches in new Kiste are presented in totally different way in my opinion. Old Kiste - ripe/overripe peaches, a bit sour. Kiste 2022 - sweet peach jam.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
IMO what makes Kiste 2022 so different from Mond is its booziness. I can smell, especially within first 4-5 hours or so quite specific boozy note, kinda' like brandy or cognac. Never experienced that in any of the Slumberhouse scents I know or own.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
So I’m struggling with the performance on Kiste. I really feel like it’s rather quiet and disappears on my skin within 6 or 7 hours max. I’ve tried everything from a little tiny drop on my skin to a full spray on my wrist. I even tried two sprays on a shirt and I left the room and came back an hour later to see if it was filling the room and blowing my nose out or something and I got nothing. Maybe a few inches of projection like 3-4 inches max. I even sprayed a shirt and left it for a whole day and came back the next morning to see how it performs once my skin heats it up and I don’t really get anything.

So am I anosmic to Kiste? I hear people talk about 24 hour room filling projection and nuclear performance but I’m just not getting that. Silver cap Sova was the same for me as well. I just couldn’t smell it and had to get rid of it since it was just sitting there.

rynegne

Basenotes Institution
Jul 25, 2012
So I’m struggling with the performance on Kiste. I really feel like it’s rather quiet and disappears on my skin within 6 or 7 hours max. I’ve tried everything from a little tiny drop on my skin to a full spray on my wrist. I even tried two sprays on a shirt and I left the room and came back an hour later to see if it was filling the room and blowing my nose out or something and I got nothing. Maybe a few inches of projection like 3-4 inches max. I even sprayed a shirt and left it for a whole day and came back the next morning to see how it performs once my skin heats it up and I don’t really get anything.

So am I anosmic to Kiste? I hear people talk about 24 hour room filling projection and nuclear performance but I’m just not getting that. Silver cap Sova was the same for me as well. I just couldn’t smell it and had to get rid of it since it was just sitting there.
Imo...Kiste 2022 is absolutely nuclear. Wife smelled it after several hours from a distance away. This was after literally one spray.

I found 2022 Kiste to be pretty similar to the old version. The sweetness is kicked up a bit and the tobacco notes are as well. I think of the sweet tobacco smell of whole leaf chewing tobacco macerated in peach juice.

While I get the appeal of Kiste, it's another one from the line that I find too sweet for my personal tastes. Jeke and Kiste are both awesome fragrances, I just find them to be overwhelmingly sweet and something I'd enjoy more in a candle format. One thing I can say about each of them is that they are both amazing fragrances if you are looking for hyper-syrupy-sweet tobacco fragrances.

Castingshadows

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 14, 2020
Imo...Kiste 2022 is absolutely nuclear. Wife smelled it after several hours from a distance away. This was after literally one spray.

I found 2022 Kiste to be pretty similar to the old version. The sweetness is kicked up a bit and the tobacco notes are as well. I think of the sweet tobacco smell of whole leaf chewing tobacco macerated in peach juice.

While I get the appeal of Kiste, it's another one from the line that I find too sweet for my personal tastes. Jeke and Kiste are both awesome fragrances, I just find them to be overwhelmingly sweet and something I'd enjoy more in a candle format. One thing I can say about each of them is that they are both amazing fragrances if you are looking for hyper-syrupy-sweet tobacco fragrances.
Slumberhouse is the only brand I have this issue with. For some reason my nose goes instantly anosmic to new Kiste and Sova.

What was your wife’s reaction when she smelled it?

rynegne

Basenotes Institution
Jul 25, 2012
Slumberhouse is the only brand I have this issue with. For some reason my nose goes instantly anosmic to new Kiste and Sova.

What was your wife’s reaction when she smelled it?
She only mentioned that it was super strong. I asked her what brand she thought it was, having told her I only sprayed once and she knew it was Slumberhouse. She was indifferent about the way it smelled, but she tends to enjoy clean, fresh fragrances. She always makes comments like who would want to smell like a tree, smoke, civet (cat piss in her words) or tobacco...so probably not a good barometer for overall likeability.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...