Slumberhouse Discussion

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Just wanted to mention, Sibet is extremely beautiful to me. It is an untypical leather chypre with loads of iris and some animal undertones to it (civet/musk - but mainly musk to my nose), also spiced by some herbs like mint (mainly). If there is any fur/hair tincture whatsoever - it must be that musk. At least according to what I can smell and get out of it.

Funny enough, at times it smells to me like leather and carrots taken straight from the ground (soil aroma, it’s there).

An Absolute love.

brothernature

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 22, 2020
LMAO Eric 😂😂😂

Dear Josh,

What happend with the late spring releases you promised. Some Pear, some Kiste, maybe some Aubergine. I hate that I have to log in to Luckyscent. Fumerie ain’t even got working codes, it’s madness. Come on man, it’s 2022, by now the DUA guy will beat you too.

Anyways, I hope you ain’t got no more stalkers. I heard some crazy folks keep typing and copying them masterpieces. Your voicemail must be full by now, I’m outie.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Any fans of Sibet out there? Count me in!
I think Sibet is a hidden gem in Josh’s portfolio, very underestimated and underappreciated.

On my skin it’s a theme of 4 notes: leather, iris, civet and musk. That musk might be the famous goat fur/goat hair tincture everyone was talking about. I feel no green components or notes whatsoever, but I do get a touch/whiffs of a note that is not listed but quite prominent on me: aldehydes. Whole bunch of aldehydes empowering the animalic side of Sibet. Amazing, love it.

I’d say Sibet/New Sibet is Josh Lobb’s homage to 70’s, 80’s and 90’s powerhouses that have leather and animalic notes, and kinda’ his modern re-interpretation of that style.

Not getting that story with goat hair tincture at all, to be fair and frank with you.

Feb 26, 2022
Any fans of Sibet out there? Count me in!
I think Sibet is a hidden gem in Josh’s portfolio, very underestimated and underappreciated.

On my skin it’s a theme of 4 notes: leather, iris, civet and musk. That musk might be the famous goat fur/goat hair tincture everyone was talking about. I feel no green components or notes whatsoever, but I do get a touch/whiffs of a note that is not listed but quite prominent on me: aldehydes. Whole bunch of aldehydes empowering the animalic side of Sibet. Amazing, love it.

I’d say Sibet/New Sibet is Josh Lobb’s homage to 70’s, 80’s and 90’s powerhouses that have leather and animalic notes, and kinda’ his modern re-interpretation of that style.

Not getting that story with goat hair tincture at all, to be fair and frank with you.
I actually have been meaning to thank the Slumberhouse community for not liking Sibet because I think it might be one of the best Josh Lobb has done. It has so much depth and morphs more than any other Slumberhouse I have tried and yet unlike basically any other Slumberhouse, it is generally just available and you can buy it when you want it rather than having to get your order in the first five minutes. (Yes I am salty about missing the surprise Baque restock 😒.)

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Speaking of Baque - I was not planning to buy it. I still have few mililiters left and it’s only okay for me - surely not a wow factor that I have with new Jeke, Mond or Sova. Was wearing it today as a scent of the day.

Tobacco (definitely smoked tobacco, same as in Jeke, not a tobacco leaf) with dried fruits, might possibly be that apricot (or might be other kind of „dried fruits") and some spices maybe (pinch of vanilla). Honestly, it's quite similar on my skin as Dior Tobacolor (that one has more of a hookah-type of tobacco) which has similar semi-sweet vibe, dried fruits (peaches and plums when it comes to Dior) and oriental spices (mainly vanilla in Tobacolor, a pinch of it). And, I felt strong resemblance to Sova, I detected hay in Baque quite easily.

As far as I’m reading it’s being re-released each year every now and again for a short period of time so maybe I’ll think about it in 2023.

Last edited:

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
I think, in next/prior releases, I'd love to see Josh making something with spices. I'm thinking cloves. Yeah, I know to some good old Norne was loaded with cloves, but that wasn't enough for me, besides I didn't get much (if barely any) cloves on my skin from Norne.

Mond, one of my beloved Slumberhouse scents, is a wee spicy, but I need more. I'd love a dark scent with cloves.

Mak-7

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 19, 2019
Spices in Mond are enormous. They might be a little hollow smelling, with that i will agree, but i cant imagine making them even louder. Buy yourself Ambre Loup by Rania J, that will satisfy your cloves craving.

Dr B1414

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 21, 2019
I might be in the minority here but I think that Mond is a really great release. I find it to be everything that it promises to be, and probably the most complex and everchanging Slumbehouse to date, next to Sova and Sibet. One of the flaws that I've always found with Josh's creations was the lack of complexity and the sometimes boring linearity of his perfumes(especially the old stuff and most of his prototypes). Mond is incredibly complex, it starts off with loads of spices and that red apple accord, moving into gingerbread, cream, and cherries, settling down to a tobacco base with some honey. Constantly evolving and changing. I absolutely don't get the potpourri vibe or any of that candle nonsense. It almost feels like an Ambre Narguile a la Josh Lobb.

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
I might be in the minority here but I think that Mond is a really great release. I find it to be everything that it promises to be, and probably the most complex and everchanging Slumbehouse to date, next to Sova and Sibet. One of the flaws that I've always found with Josh's creations was the lack of complexity and the sometimes boring linearity of his perfumes(especially the old stuff and most of his prototypes). Mond is incredibly complex, it starts off with loads of spices and that red apple accord, moving into gingerbread, cream, and cherries, settling down to a tobacco base with some honey. Constantly evolving and changing. I absolutely don't get the potpourri vibe or any of that candle nonsense. It almost feels like an Ambre Narguile a la Josh Lobb.
Exactly. I’d add Jeke, Norne, Sadanne, possibly Grev and Fjerne and you’re set. You’ve got basically Slumberhouse spectrum.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
If you are in the minority in thinking Mond is amazingly fantastic, then I’m right there with you. It is one of my very favorite from all of Josh’s wonderful creations…

Martin__

Dec 18, 2021
Maybe I missed something, but is there a significant difference between Sibet and New Sibet besides the name change?
Sibet is darker in colour because Josh used different type of moss. As far as I remember he said the scent itself remains pretty unchanged, however it is its final alteration before release of its successor somewhere in 2023 (or something like that).

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
ISO E Superman & I were chatting today about Jorum Studio's Gorseland. I've mentioned their Carduus before as perfect for Slumberhouse fans, but man, Gorseland delivers! It's like a crossover between Sova, Papillon's Dryad, Pineward's Apple Tabac, and JSP Serin.
Agreed! I’ve had Gorseland on my FB list to buy now for about the last four or five months. I think it smells awesome and love the rough and tough prickly pear, pineapple weed, and scrub brush aura it has…top notch marks for the way it transports me to the location it’s name implies.👍

Dr B1414

Basenotes Junkie
Oct 21, 2019
ISO E Superman & I were chatting today about Jorum Studio's Gorseland. I've mentioned their Carduus before as perfect for Slumberhouse fans, but man, Gorseland delivers! It's like a crossover between Sova, Papillon's Dryad, Pineward's Apple Tabac, and JSP Serin.
Gorseland is gorgeous. For whatever reason, it reminds me of Malle's Rose & Cuir. Every time. That's why I won't get a bottle. I think it's best worn during Summer.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Gorseland is gorgeous. For whatever reason, it reminds me of Malle's Rose & Cuir. Every time. That's why I won't get a bottle. I think it's best worn during Summer.
Carduus really may tickle the fancy of some Slumberhouse fans. Not exactly in the classic "farmhouse tobacco" sense but it's built on an interesting woody/herbal/anisic/damp healthy forest decay accord. Not super heavy but by no means light. It's got written late summer/autumn in a New England forest written all over it.

Gorseland was a recent try and I'm completely fascinated by it. I'd also call it gorgeous. There's that fresh yet thick cool/green/semi-menthol vibe from the opening of Baruti Tindrer, for anyone who knows that one, but with a mid & base that has a kind of coumarin/semi-sweet cereal grains vibe going on. It's a lovely contrast and I'm tempted to get a bottle. Overall, Jorum has had more neutrals or passes than wins for me but those two I enjoyed very much.

I think I mentioned it before but for other recs that may be in the wheelhouse of Slumberhouse fans, Liz Zorn/Soivohle has a few that strike me as being similar. Meerschaum firstly, which I would describe as a farmhouse tobacco (especially the iterations where the phenolic/birch tar/smoke accord is prominent) and to a lesser extent, Journeyman, which is a spiced woody/tobacco affair. Less dense than Meerschaum, Baque, Sova et al. but may appeal. I also think at some point Josh mentioned that he was a fan of Carpathian Oud from Soivohle, so there's that.

In actual Slumberhouse news, I've worn a ton of New Sibet this year, much so more than any other from the house. I think it's amazing in any weather but I was loving it in the heat.

Latest News