Slumberhouse Discussion

muzzbait

Jul 9, 2015
He’s problematic. And not in an endearing Bo Burnham way either. I think dozens of people here have had the displeasure. On a totally unrelated note, recording artist Jan Magne Förde has an album titled Enough of that Jazz.

I hope before anyone bid, they noticed the zero feedback and basically brand new account.

Ebay chap is in NY, other fellow in different state i believe. Might not necessary be related
He told me he was in NYC even though the package came from another state...

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
He told me he was in NYC even though the package came from another state...

ADJACENT adjective
Definition of adjacent
1a: not distant : NEARBY
the city and adjacent suburbs
b: having a common endpoint or border
adjacent lots, adjacent states

Weird sorry, helping my nephew with homework tonight in another tab. Keep C&Ping in the wrong one.

So Red Grev huh? What's that about? Can't wait until 2027 when we can try it!

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
ADJACENT adjective
Definition of adjacent
1a: not distant : NEARBY
the city and adjacent suburbs
b: having a common endpoint or border
adjacent lots, adjacent states

Weird sorry, helping my nephew with homework tonight in another tab. Keep C&Ping in the wrong one.

So Red Grev huh? What's that about? Can't wait until 2027 when we can try it![/QUOTE]

LOL...I sure hope that's not the case. I really want to get a hold of some this year.:coolold:

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
OMG at $410 within 24 hours?!?!?!
Let's be honest, it was always gonna sell for $500+, it's just a bit disappointing that the bidding happened so early...

For anyone who might be interested, I think the vendor is well-known character around basenotes.
If anyone has ever put up an ISO post in the marketplace forum, almost certainly you will know this shadow-lurking gentleman. He would have messaged you and led you along for a few weeks...
He has a seven-year-old's grasp of typing and spelling, and presents as if English is NOT his native language.
I'm sure this ebay vendor is this guy.

Oooooohhhhhh…. THAT guy!

mszigetihu

Jan 13, 2011
Considering that only 33 bottles exists of this and any flask bottle can easily reach over $300, it's not really a crazy price for Lanz. We'll see how it goes, but i don't think anyone will pay a crazy amount for it, like a grand.

Last edited:

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
Considering that only 33 bottles exists of this and any flask bottle can easily reach over $300, it's not really a crazy price for Lanz. We'll see how it goes, but i don't think anyone will pay a crazy amount for it, like a grand.

In 2019 there was a bottle of Lanz that sat for a while on eBay, the asking price was somewhere around 1,200. I think they eventually took ~900 for it and I don't think it's unlikely to hit that kind of prices this time around. But yeah, eBay bidding is hard to predict, I scored a bottle on there recently for a surprisingly low amount.

Xcaliber6685

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Sep 18, 2020
Got a few samples to try.

Ore, remind me of Oud Monarch without the Oud, boozy in the first 10min then quickly dry down to a chocolatey skin scent.

Sibet, off-putting in the opening with the plastic doll odor or latex rubber type smell, after 10min the dry down became quite pleasant, getting mostly the Orris and mint afterward.

They are all oily on the skin, projection is very poor.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
That is flat out ridiculous.

I just looked at this listing and I wonder if someone is artificially inflating the bids on this listing. I could be completely wrong, but It will be interesting to see where this ends.

I think itll end in non payment, but there are all sort of crazies out there :undecided:

psawjack

Nov 14, 2017
That is flat out ridiculous.

I just looked at this listing and I wonder if someone is artificially inflating the bids on this listing. I could be completely wrong, but It will be interesting to see where this ends.
Haha the last 2 bidders are private or account with 4 feedback. Something fishy going on there!

Sent from my XQ-BC62 using Tapatalk

muzzbait

Jul 9, 2015
If indeed this is the gentleman I think it is, then this will be a great lesson for him indeed.

Last year, in a robust price negotiation process, he highballed me and used ebay bids as the basis for why he thought his bottle was worth what he thought it was worth. I told him that using ebay as a source of CONSTANT market value was flawed, because if two parties outbid each other from $300 to $600 (as happened in a relevant auction), once the winner received their bottle, then the 2nd placed bidder now has NO ONE to bid against for it to reach that point (in theory). It went over his head. Zahd went for $625 and then months later it barely cracked $400 (from memory). Market value is totally volatile. What happens if that 2nd placed bidder recently lost interest in perfumes? What happens if an entire bevy of interested bidders are on holiday and can’t access ebay? So many variable at play here, but none of that made sense to him (mostly cos it meant this valuation would be invalidated).
When I lived in Japan, I used to sell 'Japanese edition' CDs on ebay and made some good money out of it. Japanese labels were unwilling to ship overseas, so, to quote everyone's favourite Baltimore small businessman, Proposition Joe Stewart, I bought for a dollar and sold it for two. I once had 5 or 6 people outbidding each other for a CD that cost 20 - 25 and ended up getting 70 for it. So, I bought it again and did the same over and over. Once the demand died, so did the bidding.
I’m fairly certain this is him, and it will be interesting to see how much it actually does sell for or if indeed it does sell. I don’t think this guy is even keen on selling and may just be looking for a bit of attention and/or excitement. Don’t be surprised if he’s shill bidding his own auction and/or trolling himself.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
If indeed this is the gentleman I think it is, then this will be a great lesson for him indeed.

Last year, in a robust price negotiation process, he highballed me and used ebay bids as the basis for why he thought his bottle was worth what he thought it was worth. I told him that using ebay as a source of CONSTANT market value was flawed, because if two parties outbid each other from $300 to $600 (as happened in a relevant auction), once the winner received their bottle, then the 2nd placed bidder now has NO ONE to bid against for it to reach that point (in theory). It went over his head. Zahd went for $625 and then months later it barely cracked $400 (from memory). Market value is totally volatile. What happens if that 2nd placed bidder recently lost interest in perfumes? What happens if an entire bevy of interested bidders are on holiday and can’t access ebay? So many variable at play here, but none of that made sense to him (mostly cos it meant this valuation would be invalidated).
When I lived in Japan, I used to sell 'Japanese edition' CDs on ebay and made some good money out of it. Japanese labels were unwilling to ship overseas, so, to quote everyone's favourite Baltimore small businessman, Proposition Joe Stewart, I bought for a dollar and sold it for two. I once had 5 or 6 people outbidding each other for a CD that cost 20 - 25 and ended up getting 70 for it. So, I bought it again and did the same over and over. Once the demand died, so did the bidding.
I’m fairly certain this is him, and it will be interesting to see how much it actually does sell for or if indeed it does sell. I don’t think this guy is even keen on selling and may just be looking for a bit of attention and/or excitement. Don’t be surprised if he’s shill bidding his own auction and/or trolling himself.

Yup. Went through the same process myself. He contacted ME about selling something I was looking for but would never name a price. A few months of going around and around without getting anywhere and I bailed. Also in that timeframe I was able to source plenty of what I had been looking for anyway!

Shadowartisttxl

Mar 25, 2016
Yup. Went through the same process myself. He contacted ME about selling something I was looking for but would never name a price. A few months of going around and around without getting anywhere and I bailed. Also in that timeframe I was able to source plenty of what I had been looking for anyway!

My exact scenario. Kept asking about selling me bespoke fragrances that he didn’t know the notes of. Would never name a price but would always hint that he paid a lot for them. Asking what the most I’ve ever spent on a perfume is. Asking what my recent purchases were. Saying he wasn’t out to make a buck but that he did pay A LOT more than retail for them. Always talking about “the market” dictating cost (aka crazy eBay bids.) Trying to sell me items many times over after I said I’m not interested.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
My exact scenario. Kept asking about selling me bespoke fragrances that he didn’t know the notes of. Would never name a price but would always hint that he paid a lot for them. Asking what the most I’ve ever spent on a perfume is. Asking what my recent purchases were. Saying he wasn’t out to make a buck but that he did pay A LOT more than retail for them. Always talking about “the market” dictating cost (aka crazy eBay bids.) Trying to sell me items many times over after I said I’m not interested.

Yup! That's exactly how it went! Hahaha!

muzzbait

Jul 9, 2015
Yup! That's exactly how it went! Hahaha!

OMG it oddly feels good to know other people went through the same thing!

He yanked my chain on a few scents for OVER five weeks (mid July to early September). Like the both of you, replied to an ISO declaring he had it, but he also said a few other people were in negotiations with him over this same scent. Back and forth, no concrete 'yes' or 'no', just more and more obfuscation. Asked strange questions, too. Who do I speak to from basenotes? Who have I bought from? What did I have in my collection? Really irregular stuff here. Then, after 5 or 6 weeks, suddenly, the sale was on! Gave me his paypal, I paid, and then, about 2 weeks of NOT sending. Anyway, things worked themselves out in the end, enough so that I consider the matter closed. Moral of the story is this gentleman has VERY little interest in actually selling and is probably more interested in making friends and/or contacts. He was also quite partial to gossiping about banenoters and he told me a lot of stuff about a lot of people I see in this here thread. He shared a lot of photos of other people's collections (I'm sure he would've shared my pics to others, also), and seemed REALLY intent in putting out the suggestion that he was a mover and shaker in the world of basenotes. He knew people, knew things about basenoters, who got swindled, ripped off, scammed, all of that. He actually reminded me of Gollum from the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit books in that he BARELY surfaced in posts/threads, yet everyone had had run-ins with him. People that were totally unrelated. I know he's reading this now, so I hope he can appreciate how respectful I am being and how I could (justifiably) be a lot more detailed and specific with details. Also, for the record, I feel he is WAAAY richer than he comes across. His stash and collection is awe-inspiring. He would share pics of what he had (and they were his pics, too, as I'd ask him to show pics of ABC, DEF, GHI and JKL, and he would, so they were likely NOT pics he'd sourced from other people), and he had A LOT. Even if he'd bought these bottles at retail a decade ago, the sheer volume of what he had was amazing. Thousands. Probably more.

Did anyone speak with him on Whatsapp? I did, and even with the time difference (I'm in Australia, by the way), he was prolific with his messages. I got the feeling he never slept, or if he did, it was on some kinda junkie schedule. He would also almost IMMEDIATELY delete his posts, just as soon as I'd had time to read them. Same with is photos. I've written a lot about this guy today, I know, but it's because he is just so uniquely IRREGULAR. I've been a teacher for over 15 years, and I would constantly chew out my year 10s/Form 4s whenever they wrote compositions about UNBELIEVABLE characters. Characters that in NO WAY could exist in the real world. And yet, most of the times those characters my students created came across more believable that the fine, distinguished gentleman I am waffling on about. Speaking about students, his typing was ATROCIOUS. Utterly UTTERLY atrocious. I had a hard time reading it almost all the time. His typos and spelling errors were utterly UTTERLY ridiculous. Worse than some entitled boomer writing a letter to the editor in a small town. And not just the there/they're/their your/you're should of variety, like EVERYTHING. Okay, that's the end of my TED talk...

bl00drunzcold

Apr 24, 2018
After confirming with Muzzbait, I too have had the pleasure of interacting with this person. I never purchased anything because it didn't feel right to me. He messaged me out of the blue asking if I was looking for Madhat fragrances and I said I was. He said he pretty much had them all and which ones am I interested in, and to take a look at his list, and then he disappeared for several months. He popped back up asking if I was still looking for Madhats and I said I wasn't interested since he just vanished after his last message and it didn't instill confidence in making a purchase from him. That was the end of it for many more months when he randomly popped up again asking me how I've been. I just told him I wasn't buying anything and he said he just wanted to see how I was, and that was the last I've heard from him. Definitely an odd duck.

I see he's been online today, so yeah, he's probably been reading all this stuff about him.

Jun 28, 2020
A complete and utter pest. Moron, too. He had many different handles back in the day and kept getting banned if memory serves.
I think management did a mass delete of all his posts and usernames back in 2013 or so.
The great news is that he does the same nonsense on facebook and instagram.
I don't get what he gets out of it but he keeps doing it and roping new people into his nonsense.

muzzbait

Jul 9, 2015
A complete and utter pest. Moron, too. He had many different handles back in the day and kept getting banned if memory serves.
I think management did a mass delete of all his posts and usernames back in 2013 or so.
The great news is that he does the same nonsense on facebook and instagram.
I don't get what he gets out of it but he keeps doing it and roping new people into his nonsense.

OMG yep -- he found me on IG and added me. I would dare say he's 'negotiated' with that many people in all that time that he has no idea about people anymore. For what it's worth, I don't think he's a scam artist or at all about ripping people off -- when we got to the actual dollars and cents part, he was straight up. I just don't think he himself knows what he's doing, why he's doing it and what indeed is his end goal...

Hey, on a COMPLETELY unrelated topic, are you gonna go to Mount Pilot and worship Satan...?!?!?!

Maldoror

May 11, 2015
It appears that this posting for Lanz has been taken down on eBay.

Yes, the listing has been gone for more than 24 hours - it had reached $2,800 on Friday morning (last time I looked before it was removed) and there were still almost four days left at that point until the auction was due to end!

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
Yes, the listing has been gone for more than 24 hours - it had reached $2,800 on Friday morning (last time I looked before it was removed) and there were still almost four days left at that point until the auction was due to end!

Owner realized what type of a treasure he is holding at his hands, and decided that its a keeper, that its His Precious ....

muzzbait

Jul 9, 2015
I had the same situation, I have his personal phone number too. Always asking Shitty price for random things.

Sent me pictures of mare marble and verg but for 3000 Haha

OMG he quoted me $2000 for the very same combo!!!
You didn't work him enough!!!
I also have his number, almost certainly a burner, though. He hasn't been online since January, though...

Owner realized what type of a treasure he is holding at his hands, and decided that its a keeper, that its His Precious ....
He never ever had the intention of actually selling it. He wanted the fragcomm to fawn over him and he would've lived off the attention for a while and then done another ebay auction and followed the same pattern.
The fact is, he has these perfumes, he does NOT use them (maybe never even tried them) and just vaults them in the hope that 5 or 10 years down the track someone gives him the attention he craves. He has NO intention of ever selling them, too. He must've done that in the past, and realised once the sale goes through, and the package it received, the attention stops. Once you get through all the Gollum hoarding facade nonsense he really is an interesting guy, but not many people are gonna get strung along for weeks/months on a will-he-won't-he sale and STILL wanna stay in touch.

Mak-7

Sep 19, 2019
OMG he quoted me $2000 for the very same combo!!!
You didn't work him enough!!!
I also have his number, almost certainly a burner, though. He hasn't been online since January, though...

He never ever had the intention of actually selling it. He wanted the fragcomm to fawn over him and he would've lived off the attention for a while and then done another ebay auction and followed the same pattern.
The fact is, he has these perfumes, he does NOT use them (maybe never even tried them) and just vaults them in the hope that 5 or 10 years down the track someone gives him the attention he craves. He has NO intention of ever selling them, too. He must've done that in the past, and realised once the sale goes through, and the package it received, the attention stops. Once you get through all the Gollum hoarding facade nonsense he really is an interesting guy, but not many people are gonna get strung along for weeks/months on a will-he-won't-he sale and STILL wanna stay in touch.

What a serious and detailed reply to my poke of a post :)

Latest News