Slumberhouse Discussion

treyshua

Jun 26, 2013
Tried my sample of Baque tonight( thank you-know-who!),...
I’m not feeling it:undecided:��

Baque is nice for me - it has that dried apricot and molasses you get from good shisha/hookah tobacco, it's like being in a hookah lounge. Not quite my style but I'm glad I have a flask anyway.

mszigetihu

Jan 13, 2011
Tried my sample of Baque tonight( thank you-know-who!),...
I’m not feeling it:undecided:��

I would advise to give it a full wearing again. I didn't get Baque at first (at all), then the second time i wore it i fell in love with it. Same with Grev. I still get a lot of ambergris with Baque, which i am not a fan of, but generally it's a lovely composition.

PlayDough

Sep 30, 2018
I would advise to give it a full wearing again. I didn't get Baque at first (at all), then the second time i wore it i fell in love with it. Same with Grev. I still get a lot of ambergris with Baque, which i am not a fan of, but generally it's a lovely composition.

Baque is nice for me - it has that dried apricot and molasses you get from good shisha/hookah tobacco, it's like being in a hookah lounge. Not quite my style but I'm glad I have a flask anyway.

Funny these generous comments, relative to my Baque try tonight. Two things of note for me: It was boozy/medicinal to my wife and I. Smelled a rather ‘strange’ concoction to me. After awhile it became much softer and approachable, ever-so-slightly more sweet Musk detected?, something else too that I can’t put my finger on. I didn’t do any scrubbing off, and I gave it a full number of initial generous dabs on various sweet spots,..but within an hour or so, she was almost beyond detection on my skin. I will try another even more mindful attempt in the near future. I felt very challenged by this one.

Last edited:

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
Interesting. Your experience with Baque is WAY different than mine.

Funny these generous comments, relative to my Baque try tonight. Two things of note for me: It was boozy/medicinal to my wife and I. Smelled a rather ‘strange’ concoction to me. After awhile it became much softer and approachable, ever-so-slightly more sweet Musk detected?, something else too that I can’t put my finger on. I didn’t do any scrubbing off, and I gave it a full number of initial generous dabs on various sweet spots,..but within an hour or so, she was almost beyond detection on my skin. I will try another even more mindful attempt in the near future. I felt very challenged by this one.

PlayDough

Sep 30, 2018
,..but within an hour or so, she was almost beyond detection on my skin. I will try another even more mindful attempt in the near future. I felt very challenged by this one.
Kiste, OTOH which I’m wearing today,
Wow,
...the longevity and projection is ..ahhh
Just right!

LaDomna

Oct 6, 2015
In Canada and still never received my sova or a TN for it, anyone else in a similar boat? I'm decently patient and hoping before the new year, but checking this thread does make me antsy at times :'(

I'm in Finland. Ordered mid November, got shipping confirmation (with tracking number) December 6th. Package is stuck in customs right now but I should get it maybe Tuesday.

I'd say it might be time for you to contact Josh. I had one of my orders pass unnoticed once, but he sorted it out quickly once I contacted him, and I even got a free bottle out of it. ;)

Last edited:

PlayDough

Sep 30, 2018
Home from work:
Change, feed family/dogs( DEFINITELY not in that order;),
...pj’s on,....check.
Jeke sample out, dosed.
Check.

Experience engaged: Ohhh,...so nice, sweet/smoky, smooth tobacco/root beer barrels!,..love:engel017:
( wife likes too)
:bath:

911LambMelb

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
Brosse isn't working for me. I'm hoping to swap my near full flask of Brosse for a near full/full flask version of Kiste

Top 3 for me
Baque
Kiste
Jeke

PlayDough

Sep 30, 2018
How about this question on Slumberhouse releases
(brought up by recent divergent opinions here re: Baque, though just a very small sample):
What one SL would you say you are challenged by the most (for the non-PC, one you dislike the most), and why? Quite interested in your thoughts!:dankk2::laugh::p

SubUmbra

Jul 9, 2018
(brought up by recent divergent opinions here re: Baque, though just a very small sample):
What one SL would you say you are challenged by the most (for the non-PC, one you dislike the most), and why? Quite interested in your thoughts!:dankk2::laugh::p

As much as I've come to love Slumberhouse now, none of them were immediate loves for me. I had to learn more about them and try other brands' work to expand my tastes a bit before truly appreciating them.

It took a long time for me to get past what I viewed as a "pencil shavings & varnish" smell present to some degree in Baque and Jeke, and maybe others.

Looking through my old notes on experiencing these, I once described Jeke as "something one would polish a cello with." Not sure I'd say that about it now, but perhaps I wasn't too far off.

Sadanne was also a bit challenging (and still remains a tad) for it's almost-sickly/boozy note (I don't mind booziness in frags but this one is unique).

On the other hand, Vikt was always more of an easy wear for me because I love the wyrmwood/anise-y note in it and as someone trying to create fragrances currently, I'm really impressed Josh got that note to last as long as it does in Vikt.

mszigetihu

Jan 13, 2011

I just started exploring Slumberhouse a few months ago and was fortunate enough to buy/sample most of them. I was very surprised that i didn't find any of them particularly challenging to wear. Even New Sibet, which was the most surprising to me because of how wearable it is. I am not a fan of Zahd. Just by looking at the notes, i thought i am going to love in, but there's a weird spicy thing going on, reminds me of an indian food market, not the biggest fan. Also probably would never wear Sadanne. Smells very feminine and alcohol-y on me.

LaDomna

Oct 6, 2015

Mare is my biggest dislike. I have not been able to get over that it smells exactly like pickles.

The following I find challenging for various reasons, but I can't say that I dislike them. Sixes & Sevens is too dry for me, and goes a bit flat and uninteresting on my skin. Sådanne, Kiste and Pear & Olive are a bit too fruity for my tastes. I like dark syrupy fruits, but not really the fresh juicy variety. Grev is too light and airy (I loved edp version Grev though, it had a lot more body). New Sibet is lovely half the time and completely fails to develop the other half.

PlayDough

Sep 30, 2018
My favs today:
Sova
Kiste
Norne

Some that I wish I had the same good experience with as others:
Baque
Sixes and Sevens( ‘specially cause this appears to be JL “My Precious”)
Pear and Olive

Like the smell enough but doesn’t translate to wearing for me:
Sadanne

Never sniffed:
Zahd
Mare
Rume
Sana

And VERY honorable mentions that could go into first list easily:
Brosse
Jeke
Vikt
Grev

Last edited:

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
Can anyone contribute on Norne? I'm wondering how the new iteration compares to some in the past which were very heavily weighted on fir balsam absolute. I was always a bit hesitant to buy a bottle of Norne in the past because I really only got fir baslam from the fragrance...not much in the way of incense/moss. Has this changed any like some of the other Slumberhouse fragrances where say...I don't know....Grev used to be a HEAVY clove and now it's progressed into a fragrance with more depth. Has Norne got more complex over the years...?

Cwliias

May 3, 2018
Can anyone contribute on Norne? I'm wondering how the new iteration compares to some in the past which were very heavily weighted on fir balsam absolute. I was always a bit hesitant to buy a bottle of Norne in the past because I really only got fir baslam from the fragrance...not much in the way of incense/moss. Has this changed any like some of the other Slumberhouse fragrances where say...I don't know....Grev used to be a HEAVY clove and now it's progressed into a fragrance with more depth. Has Norne got more complex over the years...?

My problem with comparing the previous norne to the current one. as well as other scents from SH is that over they years they change. I coulndn't tell you where my new bottle of norne is to where the sample i tried 4 years ago at the same time. I can say now that the old sample is a bit greener. But comparing it to when it was >1 year old i have no clue how close or not it is.

thrilledchilled

All Is Beautiful
Basenotes Plus
Nov 17, 2018

I get a lot of incense in Norne. Just bought from luckyscent.

Buysblind

Jan 21, 2011

Norne feels less black and tarry now than it used to, years ago. I also detected a pretty strong clove presence in the latest iteration which I never noticed before (the one that just came out in the new bottles). But as far as complexity goes, my original bottle of the Norne EDP (before it became an extrait) smelled more complex than the one that's out now. Having said that, I really haven't spent too much time with it yet, and just wore it briefly the day I got it, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. These were just quick impressions I got when I tried it.

By the way...the new ORE is f**king beautiful. Apparently he tweaked the Ore formula quite a bit, a lot actually, and you can tell. It smells so much smoother and richer and downright better. The coco note is incredible, and it's smooth as silk.

Buysblind

Jan 21, 2011
Mare is my biggest dislike. I have not been able to get over that it smells exactly like pickles.

My issue with Mare, and why I ultimately sold it (and now of course wish I never had), is that its smell was very inconsistent for me. Sometimes I'd get this beautiful, "enchanted lagoon" aquatic, with breezy marine notes and a fresh water feeling with some damp vegetation, and other times I would get a really strange vegetal smell, like brown celery or something, and the weird 'pickles' note other people have talked about it. Depending on the wearing, it could be weird-good, or weird-bad, and once a fragrance becomes too hard to predict like that I can't deal with it. I do hope that he reissues Mare--I'll jump on it in a second--and I believe he's honed his craft enough now where he could totally smooth out any of Mare's unwanted kinks.

I would also love to see Vikt come back. I honestly don't mind all these re-issues, despite having been there already the first time around. I've taken a long break from many of them so old favorites seem almost new again, and I also think Josh has gotten a lot better in terms of his skill as a perfumer and that his reissues will reflect this. I'd be very curious to see how he would handle Zahd a second time around.

tensor9

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 18, 2014
Norne feels less black and tarry now than it used to, years ago. I also detected a pretty strong clove presence in the latest iteration which I never noticed before (the one that just came out in the new bottles). But as far as complexity goes, my original bottle of the Norne EDP (before it became an extrait) smelled more complex than the one that's out now. Having said that, I really haven't spent too much time with it yet, and just wore it briefly the day I got it, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. These were just quick impressions I got when I tried it.

By the way...the new ORE is f**king beautiful. Apparently he tweaked the Ore formula quite a bit, a lot actually, and you can tell. It smells so much smoother and richer and downright better. The coco note is incredible, and it's smooth as silk.

You've caught my attention with Ore! Is it still bursting at the seams with Iso-E?

Last edited:

Ponyboi

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 28, 2018
Seven posts on this page, so far. Six of them either quote PlayDough or are by PlayDough. It's pretty safe to say that you've taken over this thread (to it's detriment, IMO). Quite a feat when you consider how you started here (selling a bottle of Sixes and Sevens on ebay for $400 before it was even released).

I think it’s safe to say that PlayDough is really excited to explore slumberhouse and likes interacting with others that enjoy it as well. I appreciate his questions and it seems others do too.

PlayDough

Sep 30, 2018
I think it’s safe to say that PlayDough is really excited to explore slumberhouse and likes interacting with others that enjoy it as well. I appreciate his questions and it seems others do too.

Thank you kindly, Ponyboi. I appreciate this. And that’s EXACTLY what it is. I love learning and I learn from others, primarily.

I can teach certain things all day long. But I got there by learning from others,...also learning what NOT TO DO( wink to you-know-who).

I’ll never NOT be a student in this life. I’m better for it too.

I’m all over JL and Slumberhouse right now,...and in being so active, it’s opened up so many other new brands suggestions or fragrance themes from generous contributors here,... I’d NEVER ever know about if not for this.

Isn’t this partly the idea?

Thank you, and all.

Last edited:

mrmorel

Aug 2, 2018
Norne feels less black and tarry now than it used to, years ago. I also detected a pretty strong clove presence in the latest iteration which I never noticed before (the one that just came out in the new bottles).

I also get more clove with Norne now than I ever did before, and a lot more oakmoss in the drydown.
But that said, I only had a tiny Luckyscent sample before (that I drained), so its impossible to compare. Whenever I wore that one, it was very much fir, but I didn't seem to mind.
Difference could also be dabber vs atomizer...
I feel like Josh has repeatedly said that the formula is the same, so it could just be material variations.

UncleBuck

Oct 23, 2009
I also get more clove with Norne now than I ever did before, and a lot more oakmoss in the drydown.
But that said, I only had a tiny Luckyscent sample before (that I drained), so its impossible to compare. Whenever I wore that one, it was very much fir, but I didn't seem to mind.
I feel like Josh has repeatedly said that the formula is the same, so it could just be material variations.

It really would be a shame if Norne was changed. Josh speaks so highly of it though. He has been upfront when it comes to changes in the formula of his scents, so I think he would've told us if there had been a change. Perhaps the clove will become less noticeable as the bottle matures.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018

So I had a flask version of Ore which I sold when I was able to pick up one of those 100ml bottles he put up last December. I wore this new Ore for the first time this week and I was thinking the exact same thing as you only I was under the impression the 100ml bottles were remnants of the old stock? I can't imagine a better cocoa note then what I'm getting from this bottle... and fwiw tensor9, the IsoE is in full-effect mode in this bottle- whatever batch it is.

rynegne

Jul 25, 2012
I was dreaming last night that Josh made a rose fragrance and it was incredible. I don't remember ever seeing him use rose in any fragrance profile. Then I was thinking...maybe Sadanne has rose those morning. I remember giving that one straight to my wife a few years back for her to test. She like it quite a bit if I remember correctly but enjoyed Rosenthal a bit more so I went ahead and bought that one for her as a gift that year for Christmas.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a bottle of Sadanne this morning for myself as a Christmas gift after seeing there's only 4 bottles left on LuckyScent - there's only 3 now. I've really been enjoying rose fragrances lately so I figured I'd pick this one up to see how it is before the boat leaves the harbor for good.

PlayDough

Sep 30, 2018
I do agree as well and will take that as a warning to myself.

Also, if this person is begging for samples I don't find that cool but that's me.

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk
Nice,
Psawjack wants to know if I sell Slumberhouse on eBay,
...or YouTube!??
Makes one wonder how these things happen,...

UncleBuck

Oct 23, 2009
I would also love to see Vikt come back. I honestly don't mind all these re-issues, despite having been there already the first time around. I've taken a long break from many of them so old favorites seem almost new again, and I also think Josh has gotten a lot better in terms of his skill as a perfumer and that his reissues will reflect this. I'd be very curious to see how he would handle Zahd a second time around.

I would also like to see a return of Zahd and Vikt. These are the two of his older releases that I'd most like to add to my collection. I'm wearing Vikt today (from a sample). Vikt is the only fragrance, with a prominent liquorice note, that I've liked.

I had a small sample of Zahd. I'm glad I got to try it because I know now that it's not worth the crazy amount that people are asking for on ebay. It's not one of his best creations IMO but I'd still buy it at retail price

UncleBuck

Oct 23, 2009
Do any of you plan on wearing a Slumberhouse scent on Christmas day? I'm going to wear Norne, I think.

I started a little tradition with Slumberhouse last year, where each day at the end of the year, I wore a different scent of their's up until new year. I could start it earlier this year thanks to the new bottles I acquired in 2019. I'm really enjoying it. Christmas day will be Norne. Probably go with Kiste for New Years eve.

Jcelello

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2019
Do any of you plan on wearing a Slumberhouse scent on Christmas day? I'm going to wear Norne, I think.

I started a little tradition with Slumberhouse last year, where each day at the end of the year, I wore a different scent of their's up until new year. I could start it earlier this year thanks to the new bottles I acquired in 2019. I'm really enjoying it. Christmas day will be Norne. Probably go with Kiste for New Years eve.

Also planning on wearing Norne for Christmas. I wore it when I cut down my tree with the family this year. I’m not aware of a more fitting holiday scent.

furrypine

Community Manager
Staff member
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2007
I have removed 20-something posts from the thread; bickering back and forth and posts that quoted the quarrel.

So, just a reminder that posts should be on topic. Many of the aficionados of the house are subscribing to the thread and will come by when an interesting post occur, there is no need to post what are essentially bumping posts to keep the thread visible, that gets annoying very quickly.

The thread is getting very long, I suggest that in the new year someone creates a part 2 and continue the discussion there. If that someone also contacts me that would be great. Then I will lock the old thread and also make a link between the new and old one. :thumbsup:

LaDomna

Oct 6, 2015
I've worn Zahd every Yule since I've had it. The deep red color and the mulled wine associations I get from the scent make it perfect for the holidays. Norne smells a bit too much like work (i.e. cutting firewood) for me to wear it for a festive occasion.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Thank you furrypine. :thumbup:

Speaking of furry pines, this string on Norne caught my attention:

It really would be a shame if Norne was changed. Josh speaks so highly of it though. He has been upfront when it comes to changes in the formula of his scents, so I think he would've told us if there had been a change. Perhaps the clove will become less noticeable as the bottle matures.

Anyone else have impressions of old/new?

As a fan of the fir in Norne in particular, I’m hoping the increased clove focus isn’t too extreme, or is a temporary effect with a new bottle. More dark tariness sounds a ok.

I haven’t worn my new bottle yet (trying to use up my sample first; I’m weird like that) and don’t have it with me right now, but I’ll do a comparison of the remnants of my old sample and new bottle when I’m home, and check in with results.

junior_surgeon

Conifer Connoisseur
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
Thank you furrypine. :thumbup:

Speaking of furry pines, this string on Norne caught my attention:

Anyone else have impressions of old/new?

As a fan of the fir in Norne in particular, I’m hoping the increased clove focus isn’t too extreme, or is a temporary effect with a new bottle. More dark tariness sounds a ok.

I haven’t worn my new bottle yet (trying to use up my sample first; I’m weird like that) and don’t have it with me right now, but I’ll do a comparison of the remnants of my old sample and new bottle when I’m home, and check in with results.

On my skin it smells extremely similar, but the longevity is a shadow of it's former glory. I wore some 2015 Norne on one Wrist and 2019 on the other a few days back. By 3 hours the 2019 is a skin scent, whereas the 2015 lasts all day effortlessly.

Scent Detective

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 15, 2015
I was dreaming last night that Josh made a rose fragrance and it was incredible. I don't remember ever seeing him use rose in any fragrance profile. Then I was thinking...maybe Sadanne has rose those morning. I remember giving that one straight to my wife a few years back for her to test. She like it quite a bit if I remember correctly but enjoyed Rosenthal a bit more so I went ahead and bought that one for her as a gift that year for Christmas.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a bottle of Sadanne this morning for myself as a Christmas gift after seeing there's only 4 bottles left on LuckyScent - there's only 3 now. I've really been enjoying rose fragrances lately so I figured I'd pick this one up to see how it is before the boat leaves the harbor for good.

Sadanne is Josh's only rose fragrance so far to my knowledge. It's one I enjoy but only wear around the house just because I feel a little bit like an adolescent girl when I wear it...LOL.

When Sadanne hits the end of it's dry down, I pick up a pine note to go along with the strawberry champagne accord and that's my favorite part of this fragrance. I'm glad to have some as it's such a unique and interesting fragrance...

Latest News