Slumberhouse Discussion

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
Hey all,

Because of the missing Huddler info, and because there will be some more announcements coming up soon, I wanted to set up a new Slumberhouse thread that we can fold into the original once the data is retrieved.

The reason I wanted to do this now is to let you know that there'll be some other releases available very soon that are worth discussing. Sana and Mare will be made available, but most exciting is a total revamp of Vikt.

Those of you who remember Vikt from before might remember it as a complex, almost vegetal metallic oud-type scent with some serious fennel overtones. It's been completely redone here, and frankly, as a scent that I never really liked much in its previous incarnation, this version of it is jawdropping. I'll try and write more later, but the best way I can describe it right now is that it's very much like the scent of chewing raw licorice sticks—somewhat medicinal, sticky, and invigorating. But to be even more reductive, this is essentially a licorice incense, and it's really, incredibly beautiful.

Please remember that this is a "discussion only" thread and any posts soliciting sales or swaps is a violation of the code of conduct - section 1.8 No spamming, soliciting or advertising

Last edited by a moderator:

gtsb

Jan 15, 2011
wow, thanks for the information, sounds very interesting. I'm excited about the upcoming releases, the new and improved Ore is incredible, so I am curious how the new ones are going to be.

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
wow, thanks for the information, sounds very interesting. I'm excited about the upcoming releases, the new and improved Ore is incredible, so I am curious how the new ones are going to be.
He's on a roll right now, it seems!
If anyone would like, I could do wrist to wrist on old vs. new Vikt and go into more detail about what's changed. It seems to me that it's less vegetal now, and it emphasizes the fennel note with a little more clarity.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
If it's that diffrerent than the original, why even call it Vikt this time around? Why not release it as a new fragrance with a new name?

Anyway, I'm excited to hear of more upcoming news, and I'm glad to see this thread semi-revived for the time being!

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
It's still Vikt, only with some serious tweaks. The difference is about the equivalent from old to new Ore.

Kagey

Jan 2, 2011
Thanks for the info. So far I haven't really got on with Slumberhouse too well, but will smell any new (or new/old) ones when I can.

badarun

Jan 15, 2013
I might be in the minority, but I quite like the older version of Vikt which I own - however, I haven't yet sampled the reformulated version...

rowan-

Dec 30, 2012
Given the direction Josh has taken of late, I'm interested!
It seems that a wrist-to-wrist would be very informative, DI - please tell us more about what we're in for when you've got time. :)

chili_willi

Feb 9, 2012
I have a sample of the original and didn't care for it at all. Vegetal is probably a better description but I had "rooty and difficult to wear" in my notes. The reformulation sounds far more interesting and potentially enjoyable.

Larimar

Apr 23, 2010
I'm interested! Sana and Mare sound intriguing from the few reviews online. Can the Slumberhouse aficionados here add more? I'm not sure about Vikt for me!
Meanwhile I'm quite in love with my big bottle of Jeke. :)

gtsb

Jan 15, 2011
He's on a roll right now, it seems!
If anyone would like, I could do wrist to wrist on old vs. new Vikt and go into more detail about what's changed. It seems to me that it's less vegetal now, and it emphasizes the fennel note with a little more clarity.

Hi deadidol--I don't want you to do any extra work, but I would love to hear more thoughts on the comparison. I believe I am going to order a sample as soon as one is available at any rate though... I have been blown away by Slumberhouse fragrances recently.

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
Having some connection problems on this end, but I'll post some comparison notes between the old and new Vikt soon. It should be up on the website by now.

Akahina

Jun 9, 2011
I for one am patient but very anxious for Zahd. I know I got a sample from Josh but I'll be damned if I can find it. Every other sample from Josh I can find but the last couple are simply missing from my box of samples. Where did I put that envelope...?

Buysblind

Jan 21, 2011
Great news about Mare! I really like that one and was disappointed when I realized it wasn't for sale.

Anyway, no Slumberhouse purchases for me until Zahd arrives (whenever that will be). I can't wait!!

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
DI, are the Mare and Sana bottles any different than what he has recently sold of those scents? Or are they also reformulated?

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
Honestly, I'm not sure about those. I can't imagine Mare would be, but it is possible that Sana was. Let me do some research.

rowan-

Dec 30, 2012
Behold! http://www.slumberhouse.com/shop/

I'm not the best person to talk about Sana, but Mare should be pretty much unchanged. I recently got a bottle of it from a new cask and as far as I can tell (and I'm the one who natters on about differences in Jeke and Sova and P+O, perceived or otherwise), it seems pretty much the same although I no longer have my old sample to compare it with directly.

But on an entirely superficial level, the new one is a deeper shade of green that makes the bottle and marbles look absolutely enchanting. :D

gtsb

Jan 15, 2011
I would also love the opportunity to buy samples for the new limited editions scents... although I love Slumberhouse scents I just can't afford to buy anything blind these days.

evogel

Jan 23, 2003
I would also love the opportunity to buy samples for the new limited editions scents... although I love Slumberhouse scents I just can't afford to buy anything blind these days.

I gotta say that so far, Slumberhouse has been a no brainer for me. I love everything that I've tried and with this house, blind buys are truly safe. Surely, I like some more than others but so far, not a bad seed in the bunch.

gtsb

Jan 15, 2011
I gotta say that so far, Slumberhouse has been a no brainer for me. I love everything that I've tried and with this house, blind buys are truly safe. Surely, I like some more than others but so far, not a bad seed in the bunch.

I would say the same thing but licorice is a tricky note for me (I'm talking about the new Vikt), and depending upon the sort of licorice (sweet? bracing?), I don't know if I would spring for it.

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
It's bracing -- more like fennel with a medicinal note. Sorry for the comparison delay -- I'm swamped with work. I'll try and write something up tomorrow about it.

markc

Mar 27, 2006
Do any of you "in the know" Slumberhousers have any information about his annual big sale? I think on the old thread, I remember it being said that every November, Josh does a very significant sale, something like 25-30% off. Can anyone elaborate if that is in fact going to happen this month? I just don't want to miss it, hahahahaha. Thanks in advance

badarun

Jan 15, 2013

I feel the same way, particularly love the heavier creations like Sova, Baque Norne jeke and my old Vikt, ore was to me a very smooth creation, I do like ore and all others from this house... I'm waiting for DI to throw his side by side comparison for the old / new Vikt b4 pulling the trigger to buy it...

evogel

Jan 23, 2003
I have to speak out against this. Although I've made my share of blind buys from Slumberhouse and am a huge fan of Josh's work in general, If you are not familiar with the house, I'd advice against blind buys.

Perhaps you are more on target Juanderer. I should have clarified that I first became familiar with the house and decided that I adore it before realizing that it's all going to be good for me. Others that have never sampled Slumberhouse likely should somehow become acquainted in a less bombastic fashion. Certain scents, maybe Ore may be more conducive to a general, blind buy that something like Sova. So, yes, I would agree with you on general terms.

Otherwise, thanks to Brian_Towers for bringing our attention to the 4ml minis from the main line which may make my added caveat above something of the past!

deadidol

Basenotes Plus
Jan 19, 2013
Hey all,

Sorry for the delay -- been busy on this end. So here are a few notes on the new Vikt in relation to the original:

I'd mentioned prior that I'd never really liked Vikt much in the past, largely because of the vegetal / mineral facets mixing with the resins to give it a bit of syrupy vibe. I must say though, that applying the old version in order to compare it with the new, it's somewhat apparent that my tastes have evolved a bit as I didn't find the original to be quite as rough this time as I remember it being a couple of years ago. Given this, the difference between the two is still apparent, but not quite as black and white as I'd thought; revisiting the original added perspective.

Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 11.15.59 PM.jpg

In contrast to the original, the new version has more clarity about the notes and the composition seems to have a little more breathing room. Also, the new version appears to have an additional layer over the oud base of the original (that I'm assuming to be mysore) which serves to elevate the more prominent notes of the scent. Fans of the original will recognize many of the same components (which seem to still be oud, styrax, ravensara and that licorice type note that I'm assuming is fennel). In other words, the original is very much present, but there's a new brightness that takes the somewhat muddy swirl of the older version and polishes it up. Because of this, the newer version feels slightly more medicinal: a balmy, resinous, camphorous thing, but there's a surprisingly invigorating component to it as well. I'm guessing that the vegetal notes have been dialed down to make room for the licorice-type note that's arguably the main focus, and the most reductive way I can describe this is that it smells very much like natural, raw licorice sticks. It wears incredibly well as it settles into a more incense type thing quite fast, and for much of the ride, it's linear and very consistent. As with several of his other extrait transformations, this is now a little more civilized as far as tenacity goes, although it jumps off the skin more than, say, Norne extrait.

Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 11.15.27 PM.jpg

If you already own the last iteration of Vikt, I do think you could probably hold off on this one for now, but keeping in mind that the new version is indeed a step up in terms of overall blend and clarity of ingredients. The difference isn't quite as profound as what we saw with the Ore EdP to Ore extrait transformation, but then again, that was an especially impressive overhaul. Style-wise, this is probably most closely aligned to Norne, Mare, and maybe Grev as far as general aesthetic groupings go, but the quality and tastefulness of the blend is on par with the last Ore as well as the forthcoming Zahd.

So, hopefully this helps a little. And if you have any specific questions about the scent, I'll do my best to field them. Cheers!

rowan-

Dec 30, 2012
Just noticed that there are mini's (4ml) of the current collection available to buy.

Quick word of caution about the 4ml minis. The containers are a very generous size, but the caps aren't threaded, and some of us have had trouble with the lids being so slippery that they pop right off the vial. Josh is aware of this and is pulling the minis from the site.

Latest News