Skanky fragrances

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
Zoologist Hyrax is pretty similar to Leather Oud to my nose. Leather Oud is actually the first thing I thought of when I tried Hyrax. Leather Oud is more refined, though.

Really? I think Hyrax stinks for sure, but never got the Dior connection. I'll have to smell it again when I visit a job that sells them.

XentMaster

Jun 7, 2016
I get the comparison of Hyrax to LO as well, maybe not so much in the top, but the dry downs are extremely similar to my nose....

JBHoren

I'm a social vegan. I avoid meet.
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
@Andy the frenchy: What do you mean by "unbalanced"? Which element(s)?
To me, it seems that all the separate elements are of high quality, but they are all separated, and stuck one to the other in line, without ever fading out one into the other. And really, it's strong, and the animalic oud smashes a bit everything else... More than unbalanced, maybe not so well blended, I don't know...
Admittedly, I only tried it twice, both time a couple of sprays on skin. I'll go to try that one again.

Are you interested in getting it?

SixCats

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 13, 2003
Sniff, sniff, sniff.....what the heck is that SMELL ? Oooh, it's a "SKANKY" Fragrance thread! Funny, I always seem to return to Basenotes when such a thread pops up! DA, you might want to check out this thread. Happy hunting!

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom in Maine.

AndyL

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 2, 2022
It was funny. At the Chanel boutique and met with the sales advisor I've worked with before. I was in there to Christmas shop for the Mrs. But I did ask if I could sample some stuff for me, too. One that I asked to sample was, Antaeus. After a few minutes I sniffed my wrist again and gave a slightly unpleasant look. The sales advisor was concerned and asked if I didn't like it. My reply was, "It has a little bit of stink". She found the comment mildly amusing and I said... "I'll take it!".

I have a few others but.... yeah, I like a little stink in some of my fragrances. Some Roja's I've tried has good stink in them. Guerlain Heritage was the first I bought that had a BO vibe to it, and like it.

Sep 29, 2022
One that I've tried that really turned me off with its note of sweat/ stank was Crystal Pistil by D.S. & Durga. Gross.

I found Oud Ispahan by Dior shockingly offensive the first few times I tried it. Now it's 100% pure love for me. I don't think it's a listed note, but I pick up a civet aroma in there. I also love Chanel No. 5 in the Eau de Cologne concentration - a lemon-civet-aldehyde bomb

Many of the perfumes from Francesca Bianchi have some pretty in your face stanky/skanky notes.
  • Under My Skin (which I love)
  • The Lover's Tale (which I hate)
  • Sex & The Sea

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
One that I've tried that really turned me off with its note of sweat/ stank was Crystal Pistil by D.S. & Durga. Gross.

I found Oud Ispahan by Dior shockingly offensive the first few times I tried it. Now it's 100% pure love for me. I don't think it's a listed note, but I pick up a civet aroma in there. I also love Chanel No. 5 in the Eau de Cologne concentration - a lemon-civet-aldehyde bomb

Many of the perfumes from Francesca Bianchi have some pretty in your face stanky/skanky notes.
  • Under My Skin (which I love)
  • The Lover's Tale (which I hate)
  • Sex & The Sea

Yes! Rather large civet note in Oud Ispahan. Oud Ispahan is one of those few perfumes I can never get out of my mind.

SixCats

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 13, 2003
Boadicea the Victorious - Mayfair.

Deserves a mention, it's possibly quite similar to Leather Oud. There's definite skank!
Hello NZFH. Ah! Yes indeed, I VERY much like (samples only) Boadicea the Victorious-Mayfair and.....one other "B the V" I can't recall the name at the moment which is even MORE Skanky! Great stuff!

SixCats!

JBHoren

Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
An underrated one to try is Jeffrey Dame Perfumery Juste Filthy. I only have the current formulation of Kouros, but Juste Filthy is in a similar vein but even skankier.

JD also sells the base as a standalone fragrance called Scatamalis. That one registers mostly as poop to my nose. 💩👍
It's all your fault. I just now bought a bottle of each... but I know it's gonna be "love at first scent" ;) (they suggest layering the first on top of the second... "step hard, or stay home")

SixCats

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 13, 2003
I personally overlooked Juste Filthy because I thought it was a few hundreds bucks. But now I see it's affordable. It's worth considering I think.
Oooh, since my sense of Smell is (somewhat) beginning to (I think) return after almost fourteen months, JUSTE FILTHY Cologne sounds like just what the Doctor ordered! I may buy a bottle. Thanks DeathArrow.

Regards,

NZFH

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 27, 2016
Oooh, since my sense of Smell is (somewhat) beginning to (I think) return after almost fourteen months, JUSTE FILTHY Cologne sounds like just what the Doctor ordered! I may buy a bottle. Thanks DeathArrow.

Regards,
Sorry to hear that, I hope your sense of smell makes a full recovery!!

SixCats

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 13, 2003
Sorry to hear that, I hope your sense of smell makes a full recovery!!
Ooh, thank you NZFH for your kind words. Yea, it's been over a year and I was about to give up hope of ever having my Sense of Smell returning when I started to notice (about a week ago) that I was catching "whiffs" of certain things.....Wet Can Cat Food, Peppermint Oil, smoke, etc. So, I sprayed on some L'Artisan Cologne the other evening and.....whoa, I could smell the Cologne this time and MUCH stronger than my attempts to do so over the last year. I forget which L'Artisan I sprayed however, it was THE best this L'Artisan ever smelled to me! Thanks again NZFH.

Regards,
SixCats! aka Tom in Maine

SixCats

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 13, 2003
Great to see you back, Tom (y)
Hope the skanky sniffer will be firing on all cylinders soon 👃
Hey hey! HELLO Jon! I hope this note finds you well Sir Jon. Ooh, Thank you Sir for the well wishes on the old Schnoz. I think it's slooowly coming around. Tonight, I'm wearing one of my very favorite Colognes "Santa Maria Novella" Acqua di Cuba! Ah, I need MORE! Getting there!

SixCats! aka Tom in Maine

JBHoren

Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
An underrated one to try is Jeffrey Dame Perfumery Juste Filthy. I only have the current formulation of Kouros, but Juste Filthy is in a similar vein but even skankier.

JD also sells the base as a standalone fragrance called Scatamalis. That one registers mostly as poop to my nose. 💩👍
It's all your fault. I just now bought a bottle of each... but I know it's gonna be "love at first scent" ;) (they suggest layering the first on top of the second... "step hard, or stay home")
I was right! They arrived in Monday's mail, and I waited until today ("Vetiver Wednesday") to try Juste Filthy (vetiver is listed, among many other components) — five hours in and, although not as strong, it's still pleasantly "skanky". In a few hours I'll apply Scatamalis, then layer it with Juste Filthy.

JBHoren

Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
I was right! They arrived in Monday's mail, and I waited until today ("Vetiver Wednesday") to try Juste Filthy (vetiver is listed, among many other components) — five hours in and, although not as strong, it's still pleasantly "skanky". In a few hours I'll apply Scatamalis, then layer it with Juste Filthy.
Killin' it!

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...