Skanky fragrances

DeathArrow

Dec 25, 2022
The only one I smelled is vintage Kouros. What would be some other skanky designer fragrances for male? I want to sample/buy some. I searched for civet and castoreum notes but most reviews said there were no animalic notes in most of them.

I've read in Luca Turin's guide about Amouage Gold for men having animalic notes but I am not sure if it's true for the current reformulation and if it's manly enough (I do prefer macho perfumes).

Andy the frenchy

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 16, 2018
Rasasi - Dhanal Oud Nashwah (!!!)
Rania J - Oud Assam
Nishane - Afrika Olifant
Tauer - L'Oudh
Le Labo - Oud 27
Orto Parisi - Stercus (!!!)
Unum - But not today
Beaufort - Iron Duke (and several others by Beaufort, like Tonnerre 1805)
Montale - Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
Masque - Montecristo
Zoologist - Hyrax (!!!)
Serge Lutens - Musks Koublai Khan
Parfum d'Empire - Musc Tonkin
Marlou - Carnicure
Marlou - Ambilux
Santa Maria Novella - Peau d'Espagne (!!!)

And then... if you're really courageous, you could go for Veil by La Curie (!!!!!!!!!).... but don't tell I haven't warned you!

(as for the suggestion of Leather Oud by Dior, it's ok. But after Iron Duke by Beaufort, Dior's smells like a prairie full of flowers in the Spring...)

DeathArrow

Dec 25, 2022
I think I now have a good list of dirty, skanky perfumes. That's great and thank you to everyone for helping.

I now plan to get Rasasi - Dhanal Oud Nashwah, Leather Oud (probably a clone since it got discontinued), Furyo and Mazzolari Lui.

But, buy all means, keep them coming.

ION-ONE

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 26, 2013
Amouage Gold is definitely a reference - must try floral / animalic powerhouse. I think the one you'd get now is close to the original.

For me it's an uneasy clash of feminine and masculine. An old school aldehydic feminine pot pouri floral spliced with an equally old school animalic masculine power house base. There is a similarity to Korous, but Gold is probably more difficult to carry off, as at some points it will smell like your wearing some vintage female juice.

The animalic side is great but the main concern may be how you get on with the prominent florals (lilly of the valley, hyacinth, jasmine etc) as a man.
Bottom line try before you buy

Scentologist

Basenotes Institution
Apr 17, 2007
Something Joe Dirt would wear? Hmmm......

53eb47b5460eb00c83870e371a9cdbe0.jpg

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I'm new to animalics, but Furyo definitely strikes me as skanky. It's currently very cheap at Fragrancenet. I've never worn Kouros - only smelled the opening at the duty free shops in the airport - but Furyo struck me as similar in the opening, just with a much stronger piss note. Gradually fades to a strong, persistent nag champa accord. Definitely an overstuffed 80s powerhouse, quite strong.

At the opposite end of the spectrum - as it's more of a unisex citrus EDC that dates back to 1951 - Eau d'Hermes might be worth sampling. Definitely has some funk in the trunk, even in current form. There's noticeably armpitty cumin, and I occasionally get a lightly fecal / halitosis note. (Not everyone gets this note, but if you read the fragrantica reviews, you'll see at least a handful of references to "unwashed ass".)

Yatagan has some buttery castoreum in the heart, but it really doesn't strike me as skanky the way some of these do. It's weird, but the weirdness seems to stem from the vegetal notes. Still, this is one of the best scents I've ever smelled, so well worth sampling anyway.

Finally, I find Antaeus pretty animalic on my skin due to the castoreum. I find this one surprisingly loud and harder to wear than Yatagan, but that's just me.

DeathArrow

Dec 25, 2022
Yatagan is also on my buying list as a classic 80s power scent - as this is the class of perfumes I enjoy most. As for Kouros comparation, the modern one is very tame.

Here I have another buying project, I intend to get the original from the 80s and six clones I managed to identify and see which of the clones is closer to the original.

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
Yatagan is also on my buying list as a classic 80s power scent - as this is the class of perfumes I enjoy most. As for Kouros comparation, the modern one is very tame.

Here I have another buying project, I intend to get the original from the 80s and six clones I managed to identify and see which of the clones is closer to the original.
Yatagan was a lot different than I was expecting - less like an 80s powerhouse, more like an herbal, rustic, primeval pine forest. If Clan of the Cave Bear was a fragrance, it might be Yatagan. Closer in spirit to something like Aramis than Kouros and quite similar to the rustic chypre feel of Aramis Devin.

DeathArrow

Dec 25, 2022
Many great recommendations already, also adding One Man Show Gold Edition and to a certain extent also G-Man by Gainsboro.
At least among of the most extreme scents in this particular category do still wear and enjoy sufficiently to recommend further.
I have One Man Show Gold Edition but it doesn't smell particularly dirty to me.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
I have One Man Show Gold Edition but it doesn't smell particularly dirty to me.
Neither particularly dirty to my nose, however just with enough minimal hints of sweatiness, leather/muskiness etc. to make things more interesting while remaining in a safe distance from anything even marginally skanky in a repulsive way.

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
Furyo and Dhanal Oud Nashwah are on their way, also a small bottle with Leather Oud clone. I have to also get Lui and it will suffice for now. After wearing these I'll see if I want more.

Do not be surprised if that Leather Oud clone isn't that great. The only brand I've smelled that got close to the smell of Demachy Dior's ouds are other Demachy Dior ouds. It's not that they're particularly authentic oud smells, but rather the style is hard to replicate.

ultravisitor

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 4, 2014
Do not be surprised if that Leather Oud clone isn't that great. The only brand I've smelled that got close to the smell of Demachy Dior's ouds are other Demachy Dior ouds. It's not that they're particularly authentic oud smells, but rather the style is hard to replicate.
Zoologist Hyrax is pretty similar to Leather Oud to my nose. Leather Oud is actually the first thing I thought of when I tried Hyrax. Leather Oud is more refined, though.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...