SIXTEEN92 Discussion Thread

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
I've never yet tried a Sixteen92 scent, but this one sounds spectacular.

(Haha, BN translated the emojis into kanji.)

I've tried a few different Sixteen92 offerings in that vein, and it's an accord they do well - wet, earthy, petrichor with some kind of subtle, cool soft sweetness like blackcurrant or galbanum or something. Groom Lake, E Lucevan Le Stelle, and Highgate Cemetery all have a similar vibe. I would consider them flankers of one another.

bl00drunzcold

Apr 24, 2018
I’ll stay away from S92. Way too many complaints popping up on Reddit and Facebook over the past few months about orders from the February 2020 Resurrection still not being shipped out, lost orders with replacements taking months, leaking bottles, lack of communication, messages being ignored or deleted. Bad business all around.

Juxtapozbliss

Author, Artist & Creative Director
Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
I've never yet tried a Sixteen92 scent, but this one sounds spectacular.

(Haha, BN translated the emojis into kanji.)

I've tried a few different Sixteen92 offerings in that vein, and it's an accord they do well - wet, earthy, petrichor with some kind of subtle, cool soft sweetness like blackcurrant or galbanum or something. Groom Lake, E Lucevan Le Stelle, and Highgate Cemetery all have a similar vibe. I would consider them flankers of one another.

I agree, she's particularly good with earthy fragrances.

I’ll stay away from S92. Way too many complaints popping up on Reddit and Facebook over the past few months about orders from the February 2020 Resurrection still not being shipped out, lost orders with replacements taking months, leaking bottles, lack of communication, messages being ignored or deleted. Bad business all around.

Well, that's really sad to hear. Especially considering her website now says only 3 - 6 days processing time on current orders. She had like a 30-day backlog highlighted on her site for over a year. Whenever I ordered, I assumed it would take a month before shipping and it always did come without any damage eventually. I'm sure because she's a one-woman shop. Can you share links to some of those threads?

jkonick

Feb 16, 2019
Well, that's really sad to hear. Especially considering her website now says only 3 - 6 days processing time on current orders. She had like a 30-day backlog highlighted on her site for over a year. Whenever I ordered, I assumed it would take a month before shipping and it always did come without any damage eventually. I'm sure because she's a one-woman shop. Can you share links to some of those threads?

My experience has been the same as yours, but it's been a while since I ordered from her directly. A quick search for "Sixteen92" on Reddit produces more threads than are worth linking to here, but you can find them easily. It does sound like there are some big problems with more recent orders. Too bad - I always got the sense it was a very DIY operation and maybe it just blew up too quickly.

bl00drunzcold

Apr 24, 2018
I agree, she's particularly good with earthy fragrances.

https://reddit.com/r/Indiemakeupandmore/comments/mldvb6/sixteen92_order_advice_non_contactable/

https://reddit.com/r/Indiemakeupandmore/comments/mg3huf/is_anyone_else_still_waiting_for_2020/

https://reddit.com/r/Indiemakeupandmore/comments/mfrooe/sixteen92_customer_service/

https://reddit.com/r/Indiemakeupandmore/comments/lkp7po/sixteen92_update_regarding_using_imam_for/

There’s a few for you.

junior_surgeon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018

It's really disappointing, honestly. Claire has a lot of talent as a perfumer and there are a handful of S92 bottles I'd like to order, but she's made some very poor decisions over the past year and spread misinformation to top it off. The icing on the cake was her announcing that she wouldn't be doing a Resurrection 2021 event back in December (which seemed like a step in the right direction) and then going back on that to still do a Res 2021. A bit insulting considering there are still people waiting on Res 2020 orders some 14 months later. I understand she had some health issues that she mentioned a few months ago, which is none of my concern, but the response there should have been to close the shop and stop releasing collections until orders were caught up.

On a brighter note, been really enjoying Hydromancy lately, it is excellent.

Juxtapozbliss

Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016

Eesh, that's brutal. Thanks for sharing.

It's really disappointing, honestly. Claire has a lot of talent as a perfumer and there are a handful of S92 bottles I'd like to order, but she's made some very poor decisions over the past year and spread misinformation to top it off. The icing on the cake was her announcing that she wouldn't be doing a Resurrection 2021 event back in December (which seemed like a step in the right direction) and then going back on that to still do a Res 2021. A bit insulting considering there are still people waiting on Res 2020 orders some 14 months later. I understand she had some health issues that she mentioned a few months ago, which is none of my concern, but the response there should have been to close the shop and stop releasing collections until orders were caught up.

On a brighter note, been really enjoying Hydromancy lately, it is excellent.

Yes, your points make sense. Have you tried Aeromancy? That's one of my faves. I have 15 fragrances from this house...I really like them all so it's disappointing to hear her business seems to be falling apart. Hopefully she'll get it back together at some point.

junior_surgeon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 25, 2018
Eesh, that's brutal. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, your points make sense. Have you tried Aeromancy? That's one of my faves. I have 15 fragrances from this house...I really like them all so it's disappointing to hear her business seems to be falling apart. Hopefully she'll get it back together at some point.

Now that you say this I realize I was actually thinking of Aeromancy, not Hydromancy! I've been wearing samples of that 2018 (or 19)? Fall collection and the names blend together, but Aeromancy is a favorite along with Pyromancy.

Juxtapozbliss

Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
Now that you say this I realize I was actually thinking of Aeromancy, not Hydromancy! I've been wearing samples of that 2018 (or 19)? Fall collection and the names blend together, but Aeromancy is a favorite along with Pyromancy.

Aye, she’s a beaut, crikey!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Kitty2Shoes

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 17, 2016
Update on the drama unfolding and backlash from the customer service from Sixteen92. This Reddit thread is just ONE of the many out there at this time: https://www.reddit.com/r/Indiemakeupandmore/comments/mxp6yo/my_sixteen92_cautionary_tale/

I myself literally came full stop to testing out and keeping up with perfumes due to the horrific nature of some of the rabid Sixteen92 fans on social media about a year ago. I was even more horrified that despite the Asian-American attacks rising in America, the company still stands firm that BLM is more important and 'no lives matter until black lives do' and many of their fan spew out racial slurs against Asian-Americans on The Circle Facebook page and other social media forums. The comments may have been deleted by now, but it was enough to completely turn me off this house even more, especially since they allowed it for so long. My sis in law and nephews are Asian-American and this really burned my britches so to speak.

There is also additional backlash that many of the names of the perfumes glorify serial killers, pedophiles (Lolita), and gruesome murders. I think the fan base feels they should either rebrand many of their perfumes (Charlotte Tilbury did this with many of their lipsticks), and should honestly take a break and finish fulfilling the very late 2020 Resurrection orders before constantly launching new products. I hope Sixteen92 truly takes a lot of this feedback to heart from consumers and former fans. I've personally given away all my Sixteen92 perfumes and will not order from them again at this time.

bl00drunzcold

Apr 24, 2018
It’s been several months and things are still wild with S92. Threads have been popping up on Reddit pretty much weekly it seems. People are still waiting on February 2020 Resurrection orders, but now add in Resurrection 2021 orders, anniversary orders, and other orders, all while putting out new fragrances and taking more money from her favorite followers and new customers that have no idea what’s going on. I was banned from the Circle Facebook page awhile back. Numerous people have been banned as well for asking about long overdue orders. She apparently won’t even accept new members in to the Facebook group. She’s been scrubbing any negative comment she can from her social media accounts. She constantly claims orders have been lost by the post office or placed on the wrong shelf. She has been giving out dead tracking numbers that never update. People have been filling PayPal claims and doing charge backs with their banks and some have now been filing complaints with the Texas AG. It’s pretty much only gotten worse over the past few months and I’d steer clear of giving her any of your money.

Juxtapozbliss

Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
It’s been several months and things are still wild with S92. Threads have been popping up on Reddit pretty much weekly it seems. People are still waiting on February 2020 Resurrection orders, but now add in Resurrection 2021 orders, anniversary orders, and other orders, all while putting out new fragrances and taking more money from her favorite followers and new customers that have no idea what’s going on. I was banned from the Circle Facebook page awhile back. Numerous people have been banned as well for asking about long overdue orders. She apparently won’t even accept new members in to the Facebook group. She’s been scrubbing any negative comment she can from her social media accounts. She constantly claims orders have been lost by the post office or placed on the wrong shelf. She has been giving out dead tracking numbers that never update. People have been filling PayPal claims and doing charge backs with their banks and some have now been filing complaints with the Texas AG. It’s pretty much only gotten worse over the past few months and I’d steer clear of giving her any of your money.

Deeaaaaammmmn. That's brutal and f'd up. Really sad. Sounds like she's completely lost her mind.

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Latest Reddit thread is pretty damning…well, not like all the others weren’t (thanks to bl00drunzcold and others for sharing, I’m not a Reddit regular and never would have known), but this is just another data point to illustrate that Claire Baxter has likely and willfully decided to practice business poorly. Didn’t totally look into the implications of that, but sounds like she’s not legally allowed to do business in Texas anymore. Please correct me if I’m wrong, I hope I am.

If you placed a Resurrection 2021 order via PayPal Credit and never received it (like I did, on February 1st) you’ll probably never receive it nor get your money back. If you went through PayPal and used your credit card, try going through your cardholder. The 180 PayPal days are way over but many CC companies have much longer dispute periods.

What a disappointment. I got used to giving small businesses the “covid benefit of the doubt” and most did deliver afterwards, sometimes way afterwards and I was good with that. This is something else though, it seems. Looks like we have a good example of one that took advantage of the situation and naive people like myself.

Juxtapozbliss

Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
Latest Reddit thread is pretty damning…well, not like all the others weren’t (thanks to bl00drunzcold and others for sharing, I’m not a Reddit regular and never would have known), but this is just another data point to illustrate that Claire Baxter has likely and willfully decided to practice business poorly. Didn’t totally look into the implications of that, but sounds like she’s not legally allowed to do business in Texas anymore. Please correct me if I’m wrong, I hope I am.

If you placed a Resurrection 2021 order via PayPal Credit and never received it (like I did, on February 1st) you’ll probably never receive it nor get your money back. If you went through PayPal and used your credit card, try going through your cardholder. The 180 PayPal days are way over but many CC companies have much longer dispute periods.

What a disappointment. I got used to giving small businesses the “covid benefit of the doubt” and most did deliver afterwards, sometimes way afterwards and I was good with that. This is something else though, it seems. Looks like we have a good example of one that took advantage of the situation and naive people like myself.

That is some sad, messed up shit. How bizarre and hard to understand.

Juxtapozbliss

Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
I just received the Sixteen92 Falloween email, as if nothing at all was going wrong.

Falloween 2021 is live today at 10am Central Time!

Trick Or Treat!

Falloween is heeeeeeeere! I look forward to these collections every year, and I'm so happy to share them with you. There are THREE fragrance collections available now - meet them below:

Autumn 2021 - The UNDEAD Collection
❄️
Banshee | Frozen honeycomb, wispy fog, sheer linen, spectral violet, moonflower, shattered glass
🪵
Onryō | Dry cedar heartwood, warm sandalwood, plum wine, white birch, pale vanilla, delicate pine needle, grey ash
🎃
Revenant | Autumnal apples, saffron crocus, crisp golden leaves, unripe pumpkin, dusty hay bales, honey bourbon
🩸
Strigoi | Freshly exhumed funerary boxes, a circle of salt, cold iron stake, heavy stone, stinging rain, blood, fire (premium)
🕯
Wraith | Luminous amber, divinatory tea leaves, candle wax, pomegranate, black myrrh, howling wind, otherworldly musks

Halloween 2021 - YOU'RE IN FOR A SCARE (GoOsEbUmPs!!!)
🔮
Be Careful What You Wish For | Dusty magic shop shelves, dried sage leaf, crystal ball, darkened amber musks, a puff of smoke
🧪
Monster Blood | Plastic candy pails, damp concrete, licorice whips, mounds of sticky marshmallow, smoldering firewood
🎡
One Day at HorrorLand | Dark bromine water, clattering wooden boats, misty dry ice, mossy rocks, muffled din from the midway, a distant screeeeeeeam
👻
The Ghost Next Door | Sweet smoke, olibanum resin, black embers, caramel tobacco, attic wood, ectoplasm
🍫
Welcome to Camp Nightmare | Campfire s’mores, overgrown brambles, cold autumn air, toasted pumpkin, earthy musks

Falloween GREATEST HITS - Returning faves from Falloweens past
🎠
DEATH BY STEREO!
(Halloween 2017 Fright Night) Night air on the boardwalk, spun sugar and cider, melted ice cream, cannabis accord, whirling tendrils of nag champa
☕️
HIGHGATE CEMETERY (Fall 2020 Memento Mori) Earl Grey tea, lavender sprigs, juniper berry, ivy, gravel, crumbling cobblestones, delicate fallen leaves & soft mittens
🔮
JUST A CURSE. HAVE A NICE DAY! (Halloween 2020 Mysterious & Spooky) Dusty tea leaves, ancient musks, inky patchouli, rare spices, a smattering of ritual incense
🍵
MINA HARKER
(Fall 2017 Dracula) Cold jasmine tea, ripe plum, black violets, pale skin musk
💀
PANTEÓN VIEJO DE XOXOCOTLÁN (Fall 2020 Memento Mori) Wreaths of marigold & cockscomb, dusty cocoa, canela, sugar cube, flickering votives, honey cakes
🕶
WE’RE WEREWOLVES, NOT SWEARWOLVES
(Halloween 2019 LE WWDITS Trio) Ambroxan, trampled moss, soft tonka, boozy vanilla, smashed pumpkin, black coffee, acid-washed denim, wild grey musk (premium)

These collections are available in perfume oil extrait (including sample discovery sets), Parfum (7.5ml and 30ml), and SuperNatural Hair Serum.

For all the release notes and details in one place (other than your inbox), you can check out the Falloween Details page on the site :)
Processing times are currently about 5-8 business days. Please keep in mind that shipping lead times are likely to increase slightly after today's release as I work through a larger order volume -- you can check our dedicated Processing Times page or the top banner on the website for the most updated shipping estimates!

As a result of our new RTS (ready-to-ship) schedule, items may sell out a little bit quicker than they used to. Please don't worry! I will continue to restock GC and seasonal collection items regularly; if something you are after is temporarily sold out, please sign up for a restock notification via the product page and you will be notified immediately when it returns. :)

bl00drunzcold

Apr 24, 2018
New update on Sixteen92. They’ve supposedly hired a managing partner that will be overseeing production, support, and socials. They posted on Facebook and have been deleting comments left and right. The post says there are 58 comments at this time but only 10 show up. So they’re still trying to pretend like everything is on the up and up.

Attachments

• 2771396C-8326-47FD-96DB-0B7BF281B6D7.png
    2771396C-8326-47FD-96DB-0B7BF281B6D7.png
    576 KB · Views: 7

Juxtapozbliss

Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
New update on Sixteen92. They’ve supposedly hired a managing partner that will be overseeing production, support, and socials. They posted on Facebook and have been deleting comments left and right. The post says there are 58 comments at this time but only 10 show up. So they’re still trying to pretend like everything is on the up and up.

Interesting. Thanks for the update. This is something that should have happened years ago. Too bad there’s so much bad blood now.

Kitty2Shoes

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 17, 2016
Not according the Reddit users in r/Indiemakeupandmore

Posts like: " I wish she'd take some accountability and acknowledge all the 10+ month outstanding orders. I hope the new guy is ready for a deluge of emails."
"It stresses me out that there's nothing in here about what the company is going to do about old, long-outstanding orders."
"I have been so intrigued by the scent reviews here but giving money to a person who clearly would have been thrilled to just ignore those unfulfilled orders from the last 1-2 years doesnt make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. That’s legit theft. She stole from people and tried to hide that it was happening, which is just…completely beyond me why people still support her business."
"Not only is there no ownership of it, but when people ask about it she lies and says there are no outstanding orders from Res 2020 or 2021, which is untrue."

And many many more (read the comments in the link): https://www.reddit.com/r/Indiemakeupandmore/comments/rwusij

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
Wow, I had no idea that things had gotten so bad with this brand. It's been several years since I paid much attention to them. Just astounding...

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
Welp, noticed an Instagram story from this Dean character saying to reach out via the website so that all outstanding orders "...are in one place." I figured it can't hurt since I've pretty much given up on mine anyway.

Got a response within minutes saying I'll get an order update and delivery estimate tomorrow and a brief "really sorry for everything". Not holding my breath but will post back here when I get any more info.

My gut tells me that if anything, my order update is that it is being cancelled and I'm being refunded. Which would be fine at this point. I'd been trying to get Supercell in spray format for years and will be bummed not to (because I'm never, ever ordering from them again) but it'd be better than nothing.

P.S. they ARE doing yet another version of Resurrection this year, just calling it something else and having 8 scents instead of like 200. I saw that and farted in the general direction of Texas. Pretty sure 2020 Resurrection orders are still missing.

Juxtapozbliss

Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
Welp, noticed an Instagram story from this Dean character saying to reach out via the website so that all outstanding orders "...are in one place." I figured it can't hurt since I've pretty much given up on mine anyway.

Got a response within minutes saying I'll get an order update and delivery estimate tomorrow and a brief "really sorry for everything". Not holding my breath but will post back here when I get any more info.

My gut tells me that if anything, my order update is that it is being cancelled and I'm being refunded. Which would be fine at this point. I'd been trying to get Supercell in spray format for years and will be bummed not to (because I'm never, ever ordering from them again) but it'd be better than nothing.

P.S. they ARE doing yet another version of Resurrection this year, just calling it something else and having 8 scents instead of like 200. I saw that and farted in the general direction of Texas. Pretty sure 2020 Resurrection orders are still missing.

LOL. Thanks for the update. Definitely serious to hear how this plays out.

LostboyR

Aug 18, 2005
Hey all,
Back after a seriously long absence. Looks like I've missed a whole lot of things going on. Just wanted to say that I placed an order for two resurrections oils on the 8th and got shipping notice yesterday. The entry still shows as pre-shipping status so I'll update as I can.

Juxtapozbliss

Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
Hey all,
Back after a seriously long absence. Looks like I've missed a whole lot of things going on. Just wanted to say that I placed an order for two resurrections oils on the 8th and got shipping notice yesterday. The entry still shows as pre-shipping status so I'll update as I can.
Welcome back! Interesting to hear…do keep us posted on how it goes. Even though the brand has sounded like a trainwreck for a while, maybe the new manager will actually get things back on track.

bl00drunzcold

Apr 24, 2018
maybe the new manager will actually get things back on track.
Maybe but they’ve already lost myself (and if others are to be believed) more customers because of all the shit that has happened. The new guy Dean has also been pretty combative in his Facebook posts, so I’m definitely not giving them any more of my money.

Juxtapozbliss

Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
Maybe but they’ve already lost myself (and if others are to be believed) more customers because of all the shit that has happened. The new guy Dean has also been pretty combative in his Facebook posts, so I’m definitely not giving them any more of my money.
Well, that’s not a good sign. I really like all the SIXTEEN92 frags I have, and love some. I have more from her than any other house…around 15. It’s a shame that the business savvy has been so lacking. I don’t really plan to buy from her again either because the business sounds too unreliable. But I’m still interested in following the drama.

IsoESuperman

Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
LOL. Thanks for the update. Definitely serious to hear how this plays out.
To my surprise Dean responded within an hour or so saying it would ship this (last) week. I reply and ask if I’ll get tracking. Almost immediately he replies and says yes. This was all on either Sunday or Monday, 1/9-1/10.

Come 4pm on Friday and I’m thinking, no way it’ll actually ship today. I get a tracking number around 5pm, and instead of being a dead one that sat unmoving for months, this time it actually leaves Fort Worth. I’m surprised again. It showed up yesterday and is indeed what I ordered. Much surprise.

That’s probably over-narrated but the gist is, I’m surprised Sixteen92 is operating like an actual business again. I’m glad they didn’t take my money and disappear, I’m glad to finally have Supercell. I’m not glad it took 11.5 months.

If they can dig out of the hole and get each person their missing order, I’ll tip my cap. I’ll never buy from them again but anytime a ship appears to be inevitably plummeting towards the sea floor and instead rights itself and sails away, in whichever direction, I can’t help but be a little impressed.

We’ll see if she sails away, and in which direction.

Juxtapozbliss

Basenotes Plus
Nov 3, 2016
To my surprise Dean responded within an hour or so saying it would ship this (last) week. I reply and ask if I’ll get tracking. Almost immediately he replies and says yes. This was all on either Sunday or Monday, 1/9-1/10.

Come 4pm on Friday and I’m thinking, no way it’ll actually ship today. I get a tracking number around 5pm, and instead of being a dead one that sat unmoving for months, this time it actually leaves Fort Worth. I’m surprised again. It showed up yesterday and is indeed what I ordered. Much surprise.

That’s probably over-narrated but the gist is, I’m surprised Sixteen92 is operating like an actual business again. I’m glad they didn’t take my money and disappear, I’m glad to finally have Supercell. I’m not glad it took 11.5 months.

If they can dig out of the hole and get each person their missing order, I’ll tip my cap. I’ll never buy from them again but anytime a ship appears to be inevitably plummeting towards the sea floor and instead rights itself and sails away, in whichever direction, I can’t help but be a little impressed.

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing the story. Let us know how you like Supercell when you get it.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011

Wow ... very surprising turn of events. Great to hear!

Latest News