Simple trick to know earliest version of Givenchy Gentleman

Tradition

Basenotes Junkie
Apr 18, 2016
I have seen many vintage bottles of Givenchy Gentleman being sold without a box. I have a simple way to identify the first version by looking at the label on the bottle, if it says Paris & France on the front of the label then it’s the first formulation.

The later versions only had Paris written on the front.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
You made me go and check :).
My Givenchy Gentlemans were mostly no France :( but all my MdG are Paris France.
Some solace I guess

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I can confirm that my older Givenchy bottles have Paris and France on the front of the wrap-around label, whereas my more more recent version of Givenchy Gentleman (second version, I suppose) only has Paris on the front of the wrap-around label.

Deleanu

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 13, 2015
My Gentleman and Monsieur are both with PARIS - FRANCE on front !

Psssh, guys, those who know Luciano Pavarotti classic, is it worth to have along with Gentleman ? Or only one of those two is worth to have, then, which one !? (running low on my Gentleman !)

Roky

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 1, 2015
My Gentleman and Monsieur are both with PARIS - FRANCE on front !

Psssh, guys, those who know Luciano Pavarotti classic, is it worth to have along with Gentleman ? Or only one of those two is worth to have, then, which one !? (running low on my Gentleman !)

I own two bottles of Pavarotti EdT & one AS.
My GG aren't vintage, bought them 2009 & 2016 I think. Pavarotti is a bit similar, but it feels more, well, rounded, plush, with some of the most exquisite powdery drydowns I've ever encountered. For me it's a no-brainer having both.

Deleanu

Basenotes Junkie
Aug 13, 2015
I own two bottles of Pavarotti EdT & one AS.
My GG aren't vintage, bought them 2009 & 2016 I think. Pavarotti is a bit similar, but it feels more, well, rounded, plush, with some of the most exquisite powdery drydowns I've ever encountered. For me it's a no-brainer having both.

Good, good...! Time for hunt...*rubbing hands*

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
This is pretty cool. I owned at least one very early (70's) bottle, in a gift set, and I know that when I got a bottle in the late 80's or early 90's, which I still have, it was still the wrap-around label, but something seemed different about the BOTTLE. I never quite figured out what it was, but a type-setting change makes sense.

allkindsofwatches1

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 8, 2016
Cool.

My 50ml bottle is first. My 100ml bottle isn't. The funny thing is that I enjoy the one that's not the first version a lot more.
668f2caf646a0b64dc4d601c4c25fe2a.jpg
e9bf9a2009833a6b3774c251d19d47b7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Cool.

My 50ml bottle is first. My 100ml bottle isn't. The funny thing is that I enjoy the one that's not the first version a lot more.

Details! I'm curious to hear more about your comparison. I've been giving this some thought.

In my case, I know the first version better, and I've only worn the second version about three times. They seem quite similar to me. I think the first version smells a little more natural/a little less modern, and I think the second version lasts longer, but they're so similar, I need more time wearing the second version and comparing them side-by-side to confirm my impressions.

allkindsofwatches1

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 8, 2016
Details! I'm curious to hear more about your comparison. I've been giving this some thought.

In my case, I know the first version better, and I've only worn the second version about three times. They seem quite similar to me. I think the first version smells a little more natural/a little less modern, and I think the second version lasts longer, but they're so similar, I need more time wearing the second version and comparing them side-by-side to confirm my impressions.
My opinion is also that the second version seems to last longer and project more. The second version also seems to have more depth.

It's not that I think they smell different but they perform different for me. I tend to reach for the first version more in an attempt to keep the second version longer [emoji16].

But....both were Craislist finds so there could've been some storage issues with the first...who knows. But it still smells great.

DOCPSYCHO

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 6, 2006
Also the white vs black collar is another clue. But not all bottles had collars.

If you could Sir. Please tell me about the difference in age regarding the black verses the white collar

Thanks in advance for your answer,

Rick

Pauer_Haus

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 3, 2016
20180727_123659.jpg I'm enjoying this little show-and-tell so here's my two bottles. Could be from anytime in the 90s up to early 2000s; I've never tried to date them. One of my most beloved fragrances from my collection, but as we all know, an expensive one to collect.

To those with the older, tall bottles - how do you feel the juice has held up? How are top notes and performance?

AlanG

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 17, 2015
View attachment 86037 I'm enjoying this little show-and-tell so here's my two bottles. Could be from anytime in the 90s up to early 2000s; I've never tried to date them. One of my most beloved fragrances from my collection, but as we all know, an expensive one to collect.

To those with the older, tall bottles - how do you feel the juice has held up? How are top notes and performance?

I wore this back in the 80's and to my nose it has held up perfectly.
Smells exactly as it did back then.
Performance is mind-blowing.
Alan.

AlanG

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 17, 2015
Nice picture. Did you but it from Ottawa? A few years’ back, a perfume shop in St. Laurent Mall used to carry Vintage Givenchy Gentleman among many other treasures.

No, bought it in Holland.
I’ve only been back in Ottawa for a couple of weeks.

allkindsofwatches1

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 8, 2016
View attachment 86037 I'm enjoying this little show-and-tell so here's my two bottles. Could be from anytime in the 90s up to early 2000s; I've never tried to date them. One of my most beloved fragrances from my collection, but as we all know, an expensive one to collect.

I think this particular version has held up well. I wear the version in the slim bottle more to conserve the other. I do believe some of the top notes are weak but as I've stated, this could be because of storage issues....maybe.

Pauer_Haus

Basenotes Junkie
Jun 3, 2016
To those who might be interested - I have on the way the earliest NON-wraparound bottle, likely very early 2000s with a short 3-ingredient list. I have had great luck with this general time period for classic masculines; they're old enough to predate the heavier regulations but new enough to smell fresh with the full scent profile and topnotes still intact. If that ends up being the case with this particular bottle it's very good news for us, since this era has been completely overlooked by collectors for having the same bottle design as the bad reformulations that came later. I'll be testing it against my two wraparound bottles.

It's worth noting that some feel Gentleman had lost its magic by the mid 90s (!!) and others still who say it was all over when they switched from real civet to Civetone in the 80s, so it's almost certain that the fragrance I've come to know and love as "vintage Gentleman" may have very little resemblance to a true deep vintage bottle, and that's fine with me. This thread just made me curious to try and figure out where things started to go wrong with Gentleman - how we got from an all-time masterpiece to Luca Turin's "sad little woody leather'.

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
I'm assuming this is legitimately vintage too? It's a 30ml bottle. I'm asking because the box looks a bit different than in post #18 (where the label's background is silver vs. black in the pic below).

The bottle size would be just ideal for me and these seem to be quite readily available on Ebay. Just wondering about the two different box color schemes.

EDIT: The pic is blurry but it does have both Paris and France written on the bottle, so reading Bavard's comment above, I guess it must be the 1st version.

s-l500.jpg

AlphaFrank75

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2017
I'm assuming this is legitimately vintage too? It's a 30ml bottle. I'm asking because the box looks a bit different than in post #18 (where the label's background is silver vs. black in the pic below).

The bottle size would be just ideal for me and these seem to be quite readily available on Ebay. Just wondering about the two different box color schemes.

EDIT: The pic is blurry but it does have both Paris and France written on the bottle, so reading Bavard's comment above, I guess it must be the 1st version.

View attachment 146144

The bottle pictured is what I first bought to start my GG love affair. There's also a 100ml bottle shaped the same that I'd like to acquire someday.

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
The bottle pictured is what I first bought to start my GG love affair. There's also a 100ml bottle shaped the same that I'd like to acquire someday.

I'm wondering which box design came first: silver(/white?) font on black background or black font on silver background? Not that it matters, as long as the formulation is the same. Both designs are available at an identical price anyway

nosey74

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 30, 2014
Anyone else feel as I do, that although I love this one, it doesn’t last very long.

This gorgeous fragrance is very deceiving on me; I apply on pulse points and chest. Just when I think it's gone I will still catch random whiffs here and there and when applied to clothing this juice lasts quite a while in my experience. It's not the monster patchouli beast that I've read about but rather very "gentlemanly" - its presence is a quiet confidence.

IMG_5331.jpg

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
I'm a bit confused now (or maybe just tired, lol). As I wrote above, the slim vintage bottles come in at least two different box designs. The BOTTLES do look identical, but I just realized only one of the BOXES has "Paris - France" written on it. The other box only reads "Paris".

So... it's only the BOTTLE ("Paris - France") I should be looking at, and they'll both be the same formulation, regardless of what the box looks like? Sorry if I'm repeating myself here, just wanting to be sure as I'm about to buy one.

Akragas

Basenotes Member
Nov 9, 2017
As has been said many times, look at the symbol after "alcohol".
"%" or ° ( say, 90% or 90° )
Since year 1980 the symbol ° was forbidden.
All 1970s bottles are : °

AlphaFrank75

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2017
As has been said many times, look at the symbol after "alcohol".
"%" or ° ( say, 90% or 90° )
Since year 1980 the symbol ° was forbidden.
All 1970s bottles are : °

I've seen various fragrance boxes with the " ° " symbol which until I saw this usage, only applied to temperature notations.
Knowing it's use was restricted after 1980 comes in handy when bottle/box hunting.

motorcade

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 21, 2020
Are the tall skinny bottles older than the shorter, fatter bottles (both have the wrap around silver label)?
I wouldn't rely on that alone as an indicator. When I was looking for a bottle, I asked for the batch codes from a few eBay vendors. I remember there was one tall skinny spray bottle, which was newer than the shorter, fatter splash bottle I ended up buying. Both were from the first half of the 90s, and both had barcodes. And of course slver wraparound labels.

Agatiya

Oct 20, 2022
Are the tall skinny bottles older than the shorter, fatter bottles (both have the wrap around silver label)?
Following up to this - it appears the fatter ones are older. All the tall skinny ones either don't have both paris and france, and/or the degree symbol next to 90 (instead of the newer %), whereas the fatter ones do.

WarmJewel

Oct 5, 2022
Following up to this - it appears the fatter ones are older. All the tall skinny ones either don't have both paris and france, and/or the degree symbol next to 90 (instead of the newer %), whereas the fatter ones do.
I don't think you can generalise in this way. Because, not all the slim flatter bottles have Paris...France and/or the ˚ in place of the % mark to represent alcohol percentage and vice versa for the slimmer, taller squarer bottles. I've seen slim flatter bottles with only the Paris mark and slimmer taller squarer bottles with Paris...France for example.

The alcohol percentage marks are only an indicator that a bottle is pre-1980 because that's when the change took place from ˚ to %.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...