Similar to Tom Ford Plum Japonais?

reveillee

Dec 16, 2007
While I know it has been a hit or miss with most of the the fragrance community, I love Plum Japonais. At least when I can feel its presence. After about 2-3 hours, it becomes a soft skin scent on me. Is there anything out there similar to Plum Japonais that has better performance? I'm also open to ones that have similar performance issues if it's cheaper so it won't cost me as much to keep reapplying.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I have read although have no personal experience that Bond no.9's Andy Warhol comes close in smell but don't know about performance.

reveillee

Dec 16, 2007
8 sprays! wow. Not sure I could get away with 8 sprays at work. :)
You must go through bottles fast! Plum Jap is so good, I'll probably just end up getting more of it and say screw the performance issues I have with it.
Appears there is a similar Serge Lutens but it doesn't get good ratings on performance on Fragrantica.

dougczar

Mar 3, 2012
I have not had any problem with the longevity or performance of Plum Japonais.

You might want to look into Bond No. 9 I Love New York For Marriage Equality. It's not quite the same scent as PJ, but similar. And like all BN9 scents, it lasts and projects very well.

hednic mentioned Andy Warhol - that is also something you may want to look into also.

Give those a try.

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
I think Andy Warhol came first. Tom must have digged it. I believe the Bond might be discontinued now though.

Nez a Nez do a nice plum based fragrance - you'll have to check for the name of it ( am in lazy mood)

reveillee

Dec 16, 2007
Did a quick review of Nez a Nez on fragrantica and didn't see any of their fragrances with plum as a main note. At least according to user votes.

magnus611

Jul 16, 2013
Not similar but a water down version is "Chambre Noire" by olfactive studios which is nice take on plum as Bond no9 "Warhol" but these are aren't as opulent and majestic as Plum Japonais with its cinnamon, plum , incense etc...

Last edited:

reveillee

Dec 16, 2007
Thank you for the recommendations so far. Plum Japonais has definitely sparked my interest in checking out other plum scents, especially the Andy Warhol.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
The Lutens cited above is the one that likely inspired Plum Japonais: Feminite' des bois. Very close, but more woody. I have not tried the latest version, but the one I have, from a few years ago, is powerful and lasts a long time.

cacio

Akahina

Jun 9, 2011
Andy Warhol, to my nose, is superior in performance and Plum Japonaise seems to me a near copy to me. I would choose Andy Warhol over PJ any day but unfortunately it has been discontinued and seems to be hard to find now. The last time I checked Bond's website listed it as available only in the 50mL size but it may well be gone now...unsure. I am a huge fan of plum notes and Andy is my favorite; I bought a back up bottle when I found out it was being discontinued.

Ken Cosgrove

Jul 17, 2012
The Lutens cited above is the one that likely inspired Plum Japonais: Feminite' des bois. Very close, but more woody. I have not tried the latest version, but the one I have, from a few years ago, is powerful and lasts a long time.

cacio

Yep, Plum Japonais is very close to Feminite du Bois in the top notes. FdB does go in a more cedar-y direction as it progresses, whereas Plum Japonais sticks with the jammy plum sweetness.

Jul 7, 2012
I think Andy Warhol has been brought back - sort of. It's on Bond's website again, much to my surprise. I was debating buying a bottle back in late 2012 when it was still available at discounters, and I regret it. It was $90 on Amazon back then! Why didn't I pull the trigger?!?!

ausphil

Nov 4, 2014
Can you get away wearing bond Andy Warhol during summer or is it strictly a winter scent? I've got PJ but it's a bit too sweet for hot summer days. Although wearable on cooler nights.

reveillee

Dec 16, 2007
Bought a BNIB Andy Warhol 50ml from ebay this morning for $99 + $9 shipping. Blind buy based on the recommendations here and from Facebook fragrance groups. Hope I have found another winner along with Plum Japonais!

reveillee

Dec 16, 2007
The description states BNIB and doesn't mention "tester" so it better not be a tester (agree that it looks like one!). If so, I'll be asking for at least a partial refund. :)

Akahina

Jun 9, 2011
If the juice smells right and the bottle is unused. It was sold at a decent price. If I was hunting for this fragrance however, I probably would not have made the purchase because the seller has just one feedback. I personally only buy from sellers with a proven feedback record. There are some good deals on ebay but this one does not tick all my boxes that I use to verify trusted sellers.

A) Most established sellers will price an item so that shipping is free.
B) The listing says BNIB and yet it is pictured without a box or cap.
C) The colors are wrong (probably the incorrect white balance).
D) There are a couple of rendudant photos that are essentially the same but no picture of the box.

Assuming the juice is real, the price is good and asking for a partial refund may be one option and could teach the seller not to misrepresent items as "BNIB" when selling a tester. My choice would be to leave neutral feedback stating that the item was a tester and not BNIB.

reveillee

Dec 16, 2007
Akahina, I've been REALLY wanting to get my nose on Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial - Black. I noticed it as a favorite of yours. Anything similar to it? Willing to sell a sample?

Akahina

Jun 9, 2011
Samples are available from MiN in NYC for a nominal price. I don't know of any scents that are real similar to Oud Imperial. It reportedly contains real oud (Cambodian?...can't remember) and has a dry, woody opening that is unique to my nose. I suggest you also try Taïf Rose too, an amazing rose after a brief opening that I initially did not care for.

Latest posts

Latest News