Similar to Bois d'Orage/French Lover?

Matthew

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 7, 2008
Hi!
Does anyone know of a scent similar to Bois d'Orage/French Lover?
I love it, but it is awfully expensive - and somewhat fleeting!
Perhaps the newer 9% formulation would solve the longevity issues?

Thanks for any advice!

Matthew

cpk

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 24, 2006
I really think this is a unique fragrance, the best of EdPFM IMO and I cannot suggest anything similar. The texture of the scent reminds me of the signature Ormonde Jayne base but I have to do a little bit of sampling to come up with one particular scent from that line. OJ has an amazing sampling box. It is really worth buying this. The fragrances are excellent, some feminines are totally wearable by men, Ta'if is one of the best rose scents ever and the box itself is a work of art.

Last edited:

mtgprox05

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 28, 2007
I find Monocle Scent Two: Laurel to be very similar to French Lover. I'm not sure if I'm alone on that or not, but I found them to share more than a few similarities.

Last edited:

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
Bois d' Orage has a cool damp mossy base that is very masculine and earthy. Some other fragrances that have a similar effect in the basenotes are: Tom Ford Extreme (mushroom & woods) and Pascal Morabito Yachting (moss & oceanic). For a much less expensive, similar fragrance you might test Drakkar Noir. Drakkar Noir is heavier and has old associations for some people, but applied lightly it has a similar smell to Bois d' Orage. I think Bois d' Orage is better than all of these, but TF Extreme is also very good in its own distinct way.

Last edited:

miguelca

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 12, 2011
I find Monocle Scent Two: Laurel to be very similar to French Lover. I'm not sure if I'm along on that or not, but I found them to share more than a few similarities.

I own a bottle of French Lover and I also find that CdG's Laurel shares quite a few similarities with it, except it's less dry and more exuberant. I don't get the similarity with CdG 2 Man that some have mentioned at all, not even fleeting.

DULLAH

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 25, 2007
A pretty singular scent that's hard to compare and a real good one at that.
This is mostly how I feel.

But two somewhat similar are:

More fresh, airy, and unisex/femme: Angeliques Sous La Pluie
More peppery, dark, woody: Creed Spice and Wood

Spice and Wood especially seems like it is about 30% bois d'orage.

FMilan

Basenotes Member
Mar 30, 2021
I can't say if it's similar, but in that particular "genre", I think Hermès Un Jardin après la Mousson is not far. And pointing out "similiar" perfumes is tricky sometimes. The closest to French Lover people usually point out is Spice and Wood, and I don't find them similar at all...

Nom de Guerre

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 2, 2020
EDIT: Didn't notice the OP date 😬

Royal Oud by Creed? I've heard them being compared and Julien Rasquinet (RO) is a scholar of Pierre Bourdon (FL/BdO).

Julien Rasquinet’s life took a decisive turn when his father met nose extraordinaire Pierre Bourdon, by accident in an airport. Rasquinet who didn’t know anything about perfumery beyond his own passion for it, called Bourdon, who decided to take him instead of thousands of other candidates to be his last student, and bare his legacy, as Edmond Roudnitska had done with him.

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
I've recently come to the conclusion that HWYL by Aesop is fairly similar to French Lover. By no means a clone, I'd say French Lover is fresher while the aesop is a bit more dark, but I get a very similar smell in the base.

Ken_Russell

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2006
Got certain marginal aspects of Bois d'Orage in quite a few Cartier scents on the more "restrained powdery" (rather than overly sweet powdery-floral-woody ones).
As different among each other as the Declaration line including but maybe not limited Bois Bleu and certain aspects of the Pasha lineup as well, luckily in either cases with great value at affordable prices.

ThVH

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 13, 2020
I love French Lover.

Of the ones mentioned here to smell similar, I also know and personally don‘t think that they are similar at all:
CdG 2 Man, Spice and Wood, Tam Dao, Bottega Veneta pour Homme, Drakkar Noir.

Angeliques sous la pluie smells quite close, as the scents are related
Royal Oud I also get similarities. To me it feels like the warm, brownish brother to the cold, greenish Malle.

Jul 25, 2015
Bois d'Orage/French Lover smells similar to and shares several notes with Creed's Royal Oud. Both have a musky base and galbanum, angelica, and cedar in the middle and top notes.

The similarities seem even more naturelle when you consider that Royal Oud's creator, Julien Rasquinet was a protégé of Pierre Bourdon who produced Bois d'Orage/French Lover four years earlier for Frédéric Malle.

26128233-6729-j
26132701-1253-j

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...