Should I Buy Habit Rouge?

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
I'm going to buy a new fragrance soon and I'm leaning toward Habit Rouge edp. It's been on my wish list for a while. Other contenders include:

ELDO Fat Electrician
Chanel No. 18
Kerosene Broken Theories
Carner El Born
Caron Tabac Blond

Any opinions?

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009
I was put off by regular Habit Rouge. But the EdP version really won me over.

It wore both stronger and longer on me.

I don't know enough about the others to give an objective opinion, but I have a kind of dense nose and Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier (aka EdP) is a solid scent.

Emanuel76

Jun 16, 2018
I'm going to buy a new fragrance soon and I'm leaning toward Habit Rouge edp. It's been on my wish list for a while.
Did you tested it? Or it will be a blind buy?

Habit Rouge is one of those perfumes that probably have been pretty solid in the past. So, the current version is praised out of inertia, out of respect for its well known name and/or for sentimental reasons.
Otherwise I don't understand why it's so praised.
It's scratchy and (almost) cloying in the base.
Yeah, it's affordable, with very strong performances.

Of these two I prefer the EDP. Less scratchy.

Habit Rouge Dress Code it is Habit Rouge EDT (a bit smoother) + chocolate.
The chocolate accord is solid. But it's worth it only if you tolerate the DNA of Habit Rouge EDT, which will accompany the chocolate for more than an hour.

Any opinions?
I recommend you to also try Aramis - JHL.
A little bit discrete. It needs at least 4-5 sprays to shine.
The aldehydes from the beginning are mild and pleasant.

BGC0N1K_mu.jpg

Or if you are in a blind buy mood maybe you will consider the vintage Etro - Sandalo, also a woody-oriental.
It's better than the current version. Not an unicorn, or something. You can find it at affordable prices. Too affordable. I don't know why. Probably because it's a little bit shy, you will get good projection only for an hour. But it's long lived.

sandalo-etro.jpg

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I've had an odd experience wherein I preferred modern Tabac Blond over vintage. I think I'd read it had been ruined, but I like the newer version.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I'm going to buy a new fragrance soon and I'm leaning toward Habit Rouge edp. It's been on my wish list for a while.

I've been considering Habit Rouge for a long time too, but have been dissuaded by all the multiple versions -- there are NINE iterations, not counting the bath and shaving products.

And every time I consider slogging through all the various threads on BN about the different versions, I just feel exhausted and decide to put the whole project on the back burner once again.

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I never jumped on any version of Habit Rouge until BNer rubegon recommended Habit Rouge L'Eau, and I found it really pleasingly MODERN. It smells like a recent release, but has the classic "Shalimar for guys" vibe fully intact.

I think any version of the franchise which pleases you is worth seeking.

Trilby Lark

Sillage Monster
Basenotes Plus
Feb 17, 2013
Well, I pulled the trigger on Habit Rouge edp. I first smelled it at the Guerlain counter in Montreal two years ago and they gave me two generous samples. I persistently fantasize about wearing Habit Rouge on a chilly winter day whilst wearing a bulky, oversized black sweater. I saw such a garment at Macy's yesterday so I'm going back for it. I often associate scents with specific fabric weaves and textures.

I really appreciate the comments on this thread.

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
Well, I pulled the trigger on Habit Rouge edp. I first smelled it at the Guerlain counter in Montreal two years ago and they gave me two generous samples. I persistently fantasize about wearing Habit Rouge on a chilly winter day whilst wearing a bulky, oversized black sweater. I saw such a garment at Macy's yesterday so I'm going back for it. I often associate scents with specific fabric weaves and textures.

I really appreciate the comments on this thread.

Excellent. I have every iteration: vintage EdC, EdT, EdP and the extrait and the EdP is my fave of the bunch. Hope you enjoy it as much as I!

Ed Wardian

Oct 28, 2020
Lovely choice, Trilby.. I've been curious about the EDP for some time too, having worn the EDT for too long and needing to take a break from it. More of a sentimental one for me since my dearly departed father wore HR which he rocked beautifully... A chemistry that was are meant to be....

Apparently the EDP is more rose-inflected which I'm attracted too, though some have likened it to a thicker floral Jaipur and the usual Shalimar wheelhouse. Well with the autumn strolling and the winter hovering soon after, I can see its appeal and comfort... Lovely choice indeed! I shall live vicariously for the time being... Patience, Ed!

Redneck Perfumisto

League of Cycloöctadiene Isomer Aestheticists
Basenotes Plus
Feb 27, 2008
I feel that by acquiring Habit Rouge I am joining a very lovely club of enthusiasts. On another note, I do not care for Shalimar but I am drawn to Habit Rouge. Maybe that's strange.

It's an interesting bunch!

Some fragrances tend to please or not, across the whole range. Shalimar / Habit Rouge tend to mix them up.

I have very strong preferences, leaning toward lighter and more modern ones. Shalimar Cologne over most members of Habit Rouge, except L'Eau. Shalimar Parfum Initial near the top. Respect but don't love Shalimar EDP or Habit Rouge EDP/EDT. But I have hopes of growing to like more of them.

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
I'm going to buy a new fragrance soon and I'm leaning toward Habit Rouge edp. It's been on my wish list for a while. Other contenders include:

ELDO Fat Electrician
Chanel No. 18
Kerosene Broken Theories
Carner El Born
Caron Tabac Blond

Any opinions?

I own L'Eau, EDT and EDP. Love the EDT and EDP, but not a fan of L'Eau. HR EDP is cheap like chips, so it's a no-brainer (and i've read that you've already bought, so congrats!). Also, it's the favourite frag of my son since he's 4yo - if that matters haha (to smell on me, not to wear), he tells me 'Oh Dad, you put the lemon spray' haha

ELdO FE: a bit too sweet for my tastes (elemi?), but that's up to personal tastes.
Not impressed by El Born. Tabac Blond is a nice feminine leather. Haven't tried No.18.

Broken Theories is veeeeery nice: spicy/incensy vanilla with orange undertones. To my nose, it's a better take on MMM Jazz Club, and stands on the same shelf as Jovoy Pavillon Rouge (I prefer the Kerosene). On my wishlist!

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
From this list I'd no question go with No. 18. But then again I've not tried any others on your list, lol. I just know given any list containing No.18, No. 18 is the only correct choice.

ELDO Fat Electrician
Chanel No. 18
Kerosene Broken Theories
Carner El Born
Caron Tabac Blond

Any opinions?

*of course I'm being hyperbolic, if your gut says Habit Rouge then go for it!

saminlondon

Aug 25, 2011
I've been considering Habit Rouge for a long time too, but have been dissuaded by all the multiple versions -- there are NINE iterations, not counting the bath and shaving products.

With the exception of Dress Code, these are just regular Habit Rouge in fancy pants packaging. Your choice these days boils down to EdT and EdP, since the EdC and extrait have been discontinued.

If you need further enabling please do not hesitate to ask.

Ifti

Aug 5, 2016
Aw nice!
Wouldn't say I was put off totally by EDT, yet I find it a hard wear. Feels quite flamboyant and I only have worn on special occasions where extravagance in perfume and dress are expected/tolerated(!).

Quite like me roses, perhaps the EDT is too bright a rose? Quite like mine mixed up, dark, broody, dank. Rose without being rose. And thence (!) Perhaps I'll have more versatile joys with the flankers.

Enjoy!

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Though a rather belated reply, quite likely an affirmative answer and recommendation in its favor: as it shares many of the spectacular classic features you mentioned in other classic and modern choice from the initial post.
While still different and creating enough to not make using and owning this in any way redundant.

broguesforsir

Aug 19, 2012
Only tried (and currently own) the edt, I’m afraid.

Very dandy and somewhat dated (at least for the first couple of hours or so) for a fella to pull off, but I can and I love it :laugh:

Oud Dude

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jun 22, 2018
Broken Theories is veeeeery nice: spicy/incensy vanilla with orange undertones. To my nose, it's a better take on MMM Jazz Club, and stands on the same shelf as Jovoy Pavillon Rouge (I prefer the Kerosene). On my wishlist!

Broken Theories definitely deserves more love. It really is one of the better entries in that amber/woody/incense genre.

Latest News