Shave of the Day

markb

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 19, 2009
18 January, 2023

Good morning all! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Wonderful Bay Rum shave this morning. Went back to Stirling and their excellently scented, copious-lather producing soap. Something in the scent reminds me of Clubman's "Virgin Island Bay Rum" splash and I always like to pair them together. Two passes (+ touch-up) with the 70's Black Beauty and I finished with the Clubman VIBR splash and spray of Barberry Coast "Bay Rum" EdP.

Hope you have a great day. :)

Stirling Soap Co. "Bay Rum" Shave Soap / Simpson "Chubby" 2 Best Badger / 70's Gillette "Black Beauty" / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Pinaud Clubman "Virgin Island Bay Rum" After Shave Splash / Barberry Coast "Bay Rum" EdP

IMG-1268.jpg

Jun 13, 2020
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Slant Gold Finish Closed Comb
Blade: TREET Platinum Super Stainless
Brush: Omega of Italy Hi-Brush Synthetic Badger 24mm
Soap/Cream: TABAC Original stick
Post-Shave: MANDOM by Gatsby
Final Topping: Dehn el Ood Malaki by Swiss Arabian

View attachment 318805
Well done, sir. You don't see the Swiss Arabian juice that often. IMO, it's a hidden gem; either layered or alone.

Jun 13, 2020
Wednesday, January 18
i35AEu6.jpg

La Savonnière du Moulin~~Hucklaration DG B5~~Gillette #44 RFB/7 O'Clock Black~~Oud 24 Hours

Don't often post on the shave thread, but there are some great posts.
The juice is a clone of Tom Ford Black Orchid. Apparently, not to SWMBO's taste, having recently been informed. :cry:

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
Well done, sir. You don't see the Swiss Arabian juice that often. IMO, it's a hidden gem; either layered or alone.
Very addictive, indeed... Interesting how the Hindi, Cambodi and Vietnamese styles overlap with their respective traits to create a fine dank leathery, almost a mahogany drift in its woodiness, one that is beautifully rugged and holy at the same time...

Thank you so much, primotenore! Most appreciated, dear sir!

And a pleasure to see your beautiful arrangement!

Jun 13, 2020
Very addictive, indeed... Interesting how the Hindi, Cambodi and Vietnamese styles overlap with their respective traits to create a fine dank leathery, almost a mahogany drift in its woodiness, one that is beautifully rugged and holy at the same time...

Thank you so much, primotenore! Most appreciated, dear sir!

And a pleasure to see your beautiful arrangement!
You scent knowledge is way above my pay grade.

markb

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 19, 2009
19 January, 2023

Good morning! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Wonderful "Old Spice" shave today. Popped a fresh Polsilver in the 40's Gillette Aristocrat for two passes (+ touch-up) on the fantastic and fragrant Cooper & French lather. Finished with a splash of Shulton "Old Spice" ASL and a P&G "Old Spice" EdC.

Cooper & French "Old Goat" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "Atomic Rocket" Synth / 40's Gillette "Aristocrat"
Polsilver / Alum / Shulton "Old Spice" After Shave Lotion / P&G "Old Spice" EdC

IMG-1280.jpg

markb

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 19, 2009
20 January, 2023

Good morning all! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Great shave this morning with the Saponificio Varesino "Dolomiti" soap and splash. Two passes (+ touch-up) and I finished with a spray of Davidoff "Zino Davidoff" EdT.

Saponificio Varesino "Dolomiti" Shave Soap / PAA "The Peregrino" Synth / 60's Gillette "Psycho Tech" / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Saponificio Varesino "Dolomiti" After Shave Lotion / Davidoff "Zino Davidoff" EdT

IMG-1286.jpg

Beau Chapeau

Basenotes Dependent
May 26, 2008
21 January, 2023

Prep: Hot towel
Razor: Rockwell 6S – #3
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (Black Ninja).
Brush: Rooney Heritage 2XL Jade
Soap: Gentleman’s Nod: Ernest ( C4 )
Fragrance: Almeria by Loumari

The Black Ninja is another stunning blade that I have a bulk lot of.. I really do look forward to having this back in my rotation. As for the 'Nod', this is another absolutely faultless soap that I wholeheartedly recommend. Yeah, a fantastic shave.

JBHoren

I'm a social vegan. I avoid meet.
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
20230121-EQ8FrankWRR31.png Blade: Equate twin-blade disposable
Brush: "Frank" — Sterling-silver in Pure Badger
Suds: Cyril R. Salter Wild Rose
Scent: Le Labo Rose 31 EDP

Reading the recent thread about Domenico Caraceni got me wanting some Rose... which turned into wanting a smooth face to go with it, so...

(the Le Labo Rose 31 is from a 15 year-old, five-way split of a 500ml bottle; IIRC, my first purchase from a Basenotes seller)

Ed Wardian

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 28, 2020
Great shave… Carbon razor w/Wizamet, Zenith brush, Captain’s Choice copper bowl.

Really like the Myrsol Formula C, the lilac minty menthol is very nice.

Finished with Rogue Chypre Siam.

View attachment 319699

Myrsol Formula C with its fresh 'parma-violet' rolling in the grass is great one! Always hits the spot!

Gotta say, that Carbon razor is a beauty! A lovely mix that checks the dreamy meter for me, indeed!

Padron

Nov 18, 2006
Myrsol Formula C with its fresh 'parma-violet' rolling in the grass is great one! Always hits the spot!

Gotta say, that Carbon razor is a beauty! A lovely mix that checks the dreamy meter for me, indeed!
Thanks Ed! Completely agree, really like the Myrsol. A great aftershave and fantastic scent! 👍

I too, was taken with the looks of the copper razor. First the copper lather bowl, then the copper zenith brush…. when I came upon the razor at pre-owned pricing, I couldn’t resist. It’s the trifecta of copper. 🤩

Beau Chapeau

Basenotes Dependent
May 26, 2008
23 January, 2023

Razor: Rockwell 6S – #3
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue
Brush: Shavemac 24/48 D01 2 Band
Soap: Hoffman’s: Rio Grande

well, the Hoffman's is another of those soaps that is an absolute pleasure to shave with.. easily enough lather for 5 passes, so I did, because I could.. yeah, a real pleasure.

markb

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 19, 2009
23 January, 2023

Good morning! Hope you had a great weekend.

Great old-school "English Leather" shave this morning. Slick, cushioning lather from the Stirling soap for two passes with the 60's "Psycho Tech" (+ touch-up) and I finished with Dana "English Leather" splash & EdC.

Hope you have a wonderful day. :)

Stirling Soap Co. "British Leather" Shave Soap / PAA "Astraeus" Synth / 60's Gillette "Psycho Tech" / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Dana "English Leather" After Shave Splash / Dana "English Leather" EdC

IMG-1307.jpg

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
Sorry. I forget I should be posting these here as well! Below is from my ritual this morning.

Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (St. Petersburg)
Brush: Trufitt&Hill branded silver tip badger
Pre: Proraso sensitive preshave
Cream/Soap: Proraso sensitive cream
Aftershave: Crabtree&Evelyn West Indian Lime
Cologne: Crabtree&Evelyn West Indian Lime
429DDA20-F866-4F4D-AB9A-D3721F392BF3.jpeg

Beau Chapeau

Basenotes Dependent
May 26, 2008
25 January, 2023

Razor: Merkur 34C HD
Blade: Polsilver S.I
Brush: Romera Manchurian 30/50 Fan
Soap: Ariana & Evans | Khalifa (K2e)

an absolutely stunning shave.. the K2e performed faultlessly, as expected, and the 34C / Super Iridium is, for me, one of the finest razor/blade combinations that you can get. Yeah, a fantastic shave.

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
This morning I had a great shave!
Prep: Hot towel, Lab Series cleanser
Razor: EJ DE89
Blade: Polsilver S.I.
Brush: Semogue 1305 Superior Boar Bristle (normally I like to just use this brush to face lather because it exfoliates so well but I whipped up some goodness in a bowl)
Soap: La Toja stick (normally another face lather thing for me but it made a wonderful lather in the bowl. It’s an old stick and not as fragrant as it originally was but that works out as I can use it with nearly any cologne.)
EDT: L’Occintane Vetyver. I love this earthy vetiver fragrance with its smooth rich woods mixed in, only as L’Occitane would do!
BBF9A3EC-6BBA-49E8-8C01-80D07007ACFE.jpeg

markb

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 19, 2009
25 January, 2023

Hello all! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

Later post than normal today and for the next two days. Attending a retirement seminar. Will hopefully be able to retire in the next four years. Great shave to start the day though. Went with Phoenix Shaving's "Champagne". Great scent and lather for two passes (+ touch-up) with the Psycho Tech, finishing with the matching splash and a spray of YSL "Rive Gauche".

Phoenix Shaving "Champagne" Shave Soap / Wild West Brushworks "Sun Dog" Synth / 60's Gillette "Psycho Tech" / Gillette Platinum
Alum / Phoenix Shaving "Champagne" After Shave Splash / Yves Saint Laurent "Rive Gauche" EdT

IMG-1320.jpg

markb

Basenotes Junkie
Nov 19, 2009
26 January, 2023

Hello all! Hope you had a pleasant evening.

A very enjoyable "Brut" shave today. Aromatic fougere goodness! :cool:

Phoenix Shaving "ET TU" Shave Soap / Phoenix Shaving "The Peregrino" Synth / Aristocrat / Polsilver / Alum
Brut Parfums Prestige "Brut Original" After Shave Splash / Brut Parfums Prestige "Brut Special Reserve" EdC

IMG-1325.jpg

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...