Shave of the Day

May 14, 2011
Good morning gents. I’m pretty much brand new to traditional safety/straight-razor shaving but decided to make the switch since I’m down to my last two disposable razors. Also I have used various electric razors in the past and couldn’t stand them since they always felt bulky and awkward and occasionally felt like they were yanking hairs out.

I decided to go the safety razor route first so my first buy I went with the Merkur 34c due to all the positive reviews, and Astra blades. No other equipment so far since I still have quite a bit of Cremo and Gillette shaving cream/gel. Will probably end up trying a straight in the near future too and think I’d go for a DOVO blade first.

Also how is everyone here such a good photographer. If I tried to take shots like some of these they’d look like total shit.

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
Good morning gents. I’m pretty much brand new to traditional safety/straight-razor shaving but decided to make the switch since I’m down to my last two disposable razors. Also I have used various electric razors in the past and couldn’t stand them since they always felt bulky and awkward and occasionally felt like they were yanking hairs out.

I decided to go the safety razor route first so my first buy I went with the Merkur 34c due to all the positive reviews, and Astra blades. No other equipment so far since I still have quite a bit of Cremo and Gillette shaving cream/gel. Will probably end up trying a straight in the near future too and think I’d go for a DOVO blade first.

Also how is everyone here such a good photographer. If I tried to take shots like some of these they’d look like total shit.
It will be interesting to see how you go.
Many here love the Astra SP blades - they are so sharp and last a lot longer than others.
I hate them and have to cork them before use (i.e. run each side through a cork from a bottle) and even then I find them too sharp. Though I do get a month's usage out of one of them.
Good luck.
Regards,
Renato

May 14, 2011
Evening lads. I’ve been shaving mostly with the 34c and so far so good. It’s been a great middle of the week tool that I don’t have to think about much and while I’m still not really used to it since my muscle memory is all based on quick shaves with a lightweight plastic razor, I really like the heavier handle and ritual of changing the blade out. Handsome razor too.

Today though I tried a Dovo for the first time and have to say I’m already hooked. No lather or anything, just straight into a hot shower and felt it out. Very zen and this is easily going to become a weekly practice.

classics4me

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
Might be joining this group after all! Last night, while trimming with my stubble razor (for years now, I have controlled short stubble on my face--not neck as my wife and others think this look suits me), the little stubble guard fell off, resulting in accidentally taking out some of my chin stubble, necessitating starting over. Had to laugh! Clean shaven for now. Don't recognize myself! LOL

Renato

Basenotes Institution
Oct 21, 2002
Razor: Old Four Blade Bic Disposable Razor
Blade: N/A
Brush: None
Soap/Cream: Blend of Real Shaving Co shave cream and Gideon Jones shave cream.
Post-Shave: DeoNat Crystal Deodorant stick
Scent: Gap -The Original

After nicking me every time I occasionally tried it over the last 11 years, I can finally get a decent shave out of this razor, which I can no longer identify other than it being a BIC. It took a while.
Cheers,
Renato

Latest News