Share a picture that represents how your SOTD makes you feel

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I typically wear fragrances for escapism. They take me to other places or make me think of particular personas and personalities.

Today I'm wearing Acqua di Parma Colonia Leather, which is built around a robust, slightly smoky leather with some aromatics and a bit of modern citrus fruitiness. It's modern and classic and a bit mature.

Makes me think of the dapper elder statesmen of Pitti Uomo, as pictured below:

pitti-uomo-fall-2020-check-suit-brown-white-pants.jpg

What picture best captures what your SOTD has brought to mind today?

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
Guerlain Vétiver

603fe860b3016.image.jpg

8ed44e464583b7f632f705745343d21e.jpg

Cook.bot

Flâneuse
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Makes me think of the dapper elder statesmen of Pitti Uomo, as pictured below:

I had to enlarge that photo several times to try and decide if the signor on the left was wearing long white dangling earrings in addition to his long white sideburns. But it appears that it's the collar points of a shirt that he's wearing UNDER his turtleneck?? Very odd.

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I had to enlarge that photo several times to try and decide if the signor on the left was wearing long white dangling earrings in addition to his long white sideburns. But it appears that it's the collar points of a shirt that he's wearing UNDER his turtleneck?? Very odd.
A few years back, there was a weird almost-but-not-quite-a-trend of wearing collared shirts under turtlenecks. It was awkward.

Oviatt

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 30, 2007
Lalique Noir Premier Or Intemporel 1888

View attachment 177054
Love that place--near St. Sulpice? Luxembourg? It has been a while.....

It reminds me of a passage from Nancy Mitford's "Don't Tell Alfred":

‘Well, if you invited the Tournons to the same dinner party as les faux Tournons, that would be a pretty kettle of fish.’

‘There is a couple here called M. et Madame de Tournon – social butterflies, pretty, delightful, perfectly useless. They are the real Tournons. Then there are M. et Madame Tournon. He is a deputy, a brilliant young man who specializes in finance, hard-working, ambitious, a parliamentary under-secretary. His wife is a prominent physicist. In spite of the fact that he is almost bound to become Prime Minister, while she may well end up with the Nobel prize, they are known to the whole of Paris as the false Tournons. Now if you had the two couples here together, protocol would demand that the false Tournons, elected by the people, should take precedence of the others. Thereupon the real Tournons would turn their plates upside down and say, “il y a erreur”. I suppose you have understood every word? What a look! Never mind, in six months’ time all this will be second nature to you.’

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
LOL, sprezzatura gone wrong.
I think that fella makes it work okay for Pitti Uomo peacocking (sorta Regency gentleman vibes with a modern twist), but it'd be outrageously silly on anybody in the real life.

Pitti Uomo style is fairly silly on the whole, as you'd expect from an event where people are pushed to try and make "individual" fashion statements.

GoldWineMemories

Basenotes Dependent
Nov 22, 2019
I think that fella makes it work okay for Pitti Uomo peacocking (sorta Regency gentleman vibes with a modern twist), but it'd be outrageously silly on anybody in the real life.

Pitti Uomo style is fairly silly on the whole, as you'd expect from an event where people are pushed to try and make "individual" fashion statements.

Pitti Uomo is, from an American perspective, is quite a Italian cultural irony. You get Italian chefs that indignantly tear apart Americanized styles of Italian cooking, as Italian cooking is simple, respects the ingredients & their provenance, and values the traditional behind it all. You'd think that would apply to Pitti Uomo, but no Pitti Uomo is so incredibly American. Take this loose idea of sprezzatura, and make is so outrageously overdone, overthought, over-engineered, and downright obnoxious that it loses all meaning except for vague sentiment. Italians doing America in Italy what's not to love lol.

Ebenas

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2006
I just got some Lutens Fille en Aiguilles after wanting to try it for ages. Still now exactly sure if I like it... when it's bad, it's a bit cloying, when it's good it's just what I wanted - spice and pine needles, but especially pine needles - like walking around on this (either indoors or out) pine-needles.jpeg

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I just got some Lutens Fille en Aiguilles after wanting to try it for ages. Still now exactly sure if I like it... when it's bad, it's a bit cloying, when it's good it's just what I wanted - spice and pine needles, but especially pine needles - like walking around on this (either indoors or out) View attachment 177265
I fall in and out of love with one. Love the pine notes, don't love its syrupy feel and light performance.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
Ha! That photo alone is enough to tell me never to test that perfume. Gilded, overstuffed rooms like that me feel as if I'm being strangled.
Oh for pete’s sake, please don’t write off testing Heure Exquise because of my photo. I’m clearly not very good at choosing pics to go with my SOTD. I was trying to capture an old-fashioned, romantic sitting room where you might while away the hours of the afternoon, perhaps drinking a cup of tea. Nothing gawdy, gilded or overstuffed as Heure Exquise is much more laid back than that. The name actually translates to “Exquisite Hour” and is a reference to twilight, but it very much feels like a daytime scent to me because of the galbanum. l’Heure Bleue, on the other hand, does feel like a twilight scent.

Latest News