Serge Lutens in NYC?

blxii

Nov 19, 2017
I'll delete this thread once I get an answer as it's sort of a space-waster. But does anyone know of somewhere in NYC I can smell the Serge Lutens collection?

blxii

Nov 19, 2017
Barney's New York.

Thank you my friend. Anywhere else you know of? I'm not a huge fan of the way Barneys has their fragrance floor set up. The atmosphere with the sales associates is a little too intense and pressurized for me, if that makes sense.

freewheelingvagabond

Basenotes Institution
Jun 10, 2012
Thank you my friend. Anywhere else you know of? I'm not a huge fan of the way Barneys has their fragrance floor set up. The atmosphere with the sales associates is a little too intense and pressurized for me, if that makes sense.

I get what you're saying, but I politely inform the SAs that I'd ask for help if needed, and that works fine. You can get Lutens at many other places (including Twisted Lily and Aedes), but Barney's is probably the only place the which carries the bell jars .... no that's actually wrong, because I see Aedes has the bell jars for sale on their website, so they should carry it at their store, too, unless they only sell it online which is unlikely.

The bell jars look great but are actually a pain to try/test from.

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
Cool, I'll be going to Aedes so that works. I've never smelled Chergui, so I'm really after that. Any suggestions?

Aedes is not good anymore. Go to osswald or twistedlily. Barneys downtown has lutens too but if you want to try all Lutens Barneys Midtown is the way to go.

blxii

Nov 19, 2017
Thanks guys. I'll get to Twisted Lily one day, but Brooklyn won't be in the cards for this trip. Osswald I will be hitting as well. Do they carry SL?

hednic

Basenotes Institution
Oct 25, 2007
I don't recall Osswalds ever carrying Serge. Is that something new in store? Not on their website. Saks also carries the house but not sure the NYC store has a dedicated Serge counter at least I don't remember.

freewheelingvagabond

Basenotes Institution
Jun 10, 2012
Cool, I'll be going to Aedes so that works. I've never smelled Chergui, so I'm really after that. Any suggestions?

This depends a bit on taste, but I'd suggest you to definitely try Chergui, Muscs Koublaï Khan, Cuir Mauresque, Tubereuse Criminelle, Ambre Sultan, Arabie and La Fille de Berlin. They have two great lavender+incense - Gris Clair & Encens et Lavande, three roses - La Fille de Berlin, Rose de Nuit and Sa Majeste La Rose. Then of course there's jasmine (Sarrasins and A La Nuit), iris (Iris Silver Mist), turkish delight (Rahat Loukom), orange blossom (Fleurs d'Oranger), suede (Daim Blonde), patchouli-cocoa (Borneo 1834), pine-incense (Fille en Aiguilles) and vetiver-cocoa-sap (Vetiver Oriental). Best not to try too many, but on the other hand hard to resist the temptation.

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
Epapsiou, what do you mean by Aedes is not good any more? I know their customerservice has always been lacking, but are they stocking less products, don’t have testers, or something else?

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
Epapsiou, what do you mean by Aedes is not good any more? I know their customerservice has always been lacking, but are they stocking less products, don’t have testers, or something else?
I primarily was alluding to customer service (or lack thereof)

KyngRoyce

Aug 10, 2020
Osswald has now closed, but I find Cos Bar downtown in Brookfield Place carries wonderful lines in Serge Lutens, Eight & Bob, Memo, Roja, MFK, Creed, and more.

Beck

Basenotes Dependent
May 13, 2014
Chergui will be easy to find in any place that carries Serge Lutens. If you are looking for a tobacco scent, uncle Lutens has a masterpiece: Fumerie Turque (now just available in bell jars).

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
In the wake of Barney's downfall, Saks has really taken the mantle for ultimate perfume selection in NYC. Their renovated fragrance floor at the 5th ave location is NUTS, they have absolutely everything you can imagine including Lutens.

The new Nordstrom flagship near Columbus circle also has a huge selection, I remember a little corner of Lutens but definitely not anything close to a full range.

Still, I feel a tinge of sadness recommending Saks, I always preferred Barneys and found Saks comparatively soulless and lacking taste. Their clothing selection compared to what Barneys carried is abysmal, but as a fragrance enthusiast you will be in heaven!

24 Faubourg

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 19, 2015
In the wake of Barney's downfall, Saks has really taken the mantle for ultimate perfume selection in NYC. Their renovated fragrance floor at the 5th ave location is NUTS, they have absolutely everything you can imagine including Lutens.

The new Nordstrom flagship near Columbus circle also has a huge selection, I remember a little corner of Lutens but definitely not anything close to a full range.

Still, I feel a tinge of sadness recommending Saks, I always preferred Barneys and found Saks comparatively soulless and lacking taste. Their clothing selection compared to what Barneys carried is abysmal, but as a fragrance enthusiast you will be in heaven!

I agree completely. I always preferred Bergdorf Goodman to Barneys in terms of shoes, clothing, etc.... but Barneys was way better than Saks for all of this.

But somehow I am glad to hear that Saks has a thriving fragrance section.

Are they even open for business at the moment? Or curbside pickup only?

cheapimitation

Basenotes Dependent
May 15, 2015
They are fully open now, there's a greeter at the door to enforce mask wearing and hand sanitizing. They have signs saying to ask for assistance with fragrance, they will spray on a card and set it down for you to pick up without contact, and if you want to give it a try they will spray your arm for you.

I agree completely. I always preferred Bergdorf Goodman to Barneys in terms of shoes, clothing, etc.... but Barneys was way better than Saks for all of this.

But somehow I am glad to hear that Saks has a thriving fragrance section.

Are they even open for business at the moment? Or curbside pickup only?

U2u

Basenotes Dependent
Jul 26, 2014
Chergui will be easy to find in any place that carries Serge Lutens. If you are looking for a tobacco scent, uncle Lutens has a masterpiece: Fumerie Turque (now just available in bell jars).

Fumerie Turque was moved to the Gratte Ciel 100 ml format just over two years ago. A bell jar would be a nice score. Tried to get one from Barney's after the new format launched. They listed on the web but never had stock so Gratte Ciel it was... Still a masterpiece.

Beck

Basenotes Dependent
May 13, 2014
Fumerie Turque was moved to the Gratte Ciel 100 ml format just over two years ago. A bell jar would be a nice score. Tried to get one from Barney's after the new format launched. They listed on the web but never had stock so Gratte Ciel it was... Still a masterpiece.
Gosh, and they are even more expensive now in these new bottles! Meh! I miss the exportation bottles for some nice Lutens.

woodnotes55

Basenotes Dependent
Oct 27, 2016
Barneys has their fragrance floor set up. The atmosphere with the sales associates is a little too intense and pressurized for me, if that makes sense.

Got a smile out of this. I was in NYC last year had left the wine store and walking saw a lot of colognes so went in. Didn't know at first but it was the side entrance to Bloomindale's. Should have known it was bad news when I picked up one of Zegna Essenze line and it had no price, a salesman gave one price, then called another who gave a second price, then a third came with a different price. Kept moving and ended up in Bulgari section, asked for something and they kept giving me something else... decided she didn't speak english.. Went to Bottega Veneta and asked to sample Illusione... the girl there then grabbed it and sprayed it on the back of my elbow!!! For the next hour people had to wonder wth is he doing sticking his arm to his face..... I ended up with three very attractive ladies following me into Acqua Di Parma and insisting on selling me a "sale" of two that I kept telling them I already had, and they kept spraying one I have over and over on paper when i was asking for a different one.... I left because it seemed like in another five minutes I would have had every sales person on the floor trailing me around.... completely intense and pressure, I don't know how they manage to sell anything.

Latest posts

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...

pp