SECRACTION: A Secret Perfume by Angelo Orazio Pregoni (O'Driù)

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011
During a recent chat with Mr.Pregoni, he introduced me to a new "mysterious" project which has been in the making for the last three years. A new fragrance combining most of the house's hallmarks with 3% of synthetic notes. This is quite revolutionary for a perfumer that made of 100% natural ingredients, his main signature.

"A secret perfume", this is how I'll call it now, takes its inspiration from a bunch of the most successful releases by O'Driù (Linfedele, Laurhum, Lafro and Lalfeorosa) and pairs the main accords of the aforementioned fragrances to synthetic notes. For the first time, the fragrance will not be released in limited batches and will be available worldwide.

"A Secret Perfume" will be launched in early/mid 2013.

Immagine7-25.png

For further informations on O'Driù, check out our previous thread here

Last edited:

sarıpatates

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 15, 2010
Re: A Secret Perfume by Angelo Orazio Pregoni (O'Driù)

I wonder what the synthetics are, as there are SO many super useful synthetics.

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011

sarıpatates;2734156 said:
I wonder what the synthetics are, as there are SO many super useful synthetics.

That's my main curiosity as well. He talks about notes that change depending on the wearer...maybe some musks?

Last edited:

MonkeyBars

Basenotes Dependent
May 18, 2011

Great photo, where did that come from?

The thought of the mysterious Signore Pregoni incorporating synthetics is very exciting. I imagine his take would be very unique and I for one look very much forward to trying it.

sarıpatates

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 15, 2010

That's my main curiosity as well. He talks about notes that change depending on the wearer...may some musks?

musk are the most obvious choice. there are some natural alternatives to it though to some extent, like costus and ambrette. woody ambers, aldehydes and various modifiers could also be useful. Top note pleasant-ification , projection and longevity would be most obvious results he's after, as this will be available worldwide.

Trebor

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 8, 2006

Sounds very intriguing. Many thanks for the heads-up!

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011

sarıpatates;2734200 said:
musk are the most obvious choice. there are some natural alternatives to it though to some extent, like costus and ambrette. woody ambers, aldehydes and various modifiers could also be useful. Top note pleasant-ification , projection and longevity would be most obvious results he's after, as this will be available worldwide.

:coolold::wink::wink::coolold:

- - - Updated - - -

I was re-reading my e-mail and, as long as I get it right, it looks like he's up for a "how I do it" version of the Molecules series by Escentric Molecules but with 97% of natural ingredients and 3% of synthetics....

trex57

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 5, 2010

Im definitely curious. Should be quite interesting.

Rex

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011

Sketches on the packaging....

Pack_appunti.jpg

Foustie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2010

This sketch is fascinating. I am going to guess that one of the things that he is going to do is put some "air" into the composition by use of synthetics? I love this direction! I can't wait for this.

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011

MB, those are sketches, projects and ideas on how the bottle/composition should look lile...

here are a bunch of notes from the pyramid: Vanille, Patchouly, Rose, Jasmine, Poivre rose, Santal, Tabac + 1

Diamondflame

(Almost) Off the Grid
Basenotes Plus
Jun 28, 2009

rose, patchouly, santal, tabac...? I like it already. :smiley:

MonkeyBars

Basenotes Dependent
May 18, 2011

MB, those are sketches, projects and ideas on how the bottle/composition should look lile...

here are a bunch of notes from the pyramid: Vanille, Patchouly, Rose, Jasmine, Poivre rose, Santal, Tabac + 1

Woah sounds very different from his other compositions

PalmBeach

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 5, 2012

You mean no Hangman on the packaging. Now I am dissapointed. :laugh:

sarıpatates

Basenotes Dependent
Apr 15, 2010

my my, the note pyramid is seems incredibly mainstream/classic. Which might be good though...

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011

sarıpatates;2737344 said:
my my, the note pyramid is seems incredibly mainstream/classic. Which might be good though...

Thw whole composition is supposed to include 13 ingredients. The ones listed above are just part of them...I'm sure there's something crucial we're still missing...

- - - Updated - - -

You mean no Hangman on the packaging. Now I am dissapointed. :laugh:

LOL

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011

All the notes revealed (except one)

Vanille, Mousse arbre, Tonka, Jasmine, Rose, Orange douce, Mandarine, Cannelier feuilles, Tabac, Castoreum, Amber gris, Santal, Poivre rose.

Foustie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2010

Hmmm. A dry aromatic soft balsamic floral? OR NOT!! Who knows? It is alll very exciting though.

Meantime check this out if you haven't already http://www.odriu.com/ecommerce/store.aspx. You'll notice that the Linfidele 1003 is sold out...... for ever. I'm so relieved that I got mine in time! :evil:

trex57

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 5, 2010

Its sounds kind of interesting to me. I wonder what the role of the citrus and rose play(major or minor notes) in the fragrance?

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011

You'll notice that the Linfidele 1003 is sold out...... for ever. I'm so relieved that I got mine in time! :evil:

Definitely one of my favorites together with Lalfeogrigio and Lalfeorosa (both sold out as well) :)

Darvant

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2010

I'm looking forward, for the moment i absolutely adore the following: Vis et Honor, L'Infedele 1004, Laurhum, Lalfeogrigio, Laltrove 1001, Linfedele Haiku and JMT. I own furthermore an Xvert's sample but i have to test it yet.

Foustie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2010

I'm looking forward, for the moment i absolutely adore the following: Vis et Honor, L'Infedele 1004, Laurhum, Lalfeogrigio, Laltrove 1001, Linfedele Haiku and JMT. I own furthermore an Xvert's sample but i have to test it yet.

Hi Darvant. Yes, we are all looking forward to this. Lets see.....

Darvant

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Mar 26, 2010

Hi sweet Foustie, spend a nice day in your wonderful Scotland.

Foustie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2010

sarıpatates;2754659 said:
I hope laltrove 1001 goes out of stock soon :p

:laugh: Nah! There is still one with your name on it.

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011

I finally received the "Avantgarde Fetish Perfume" teaser sample (previously known as "A Secret Perfume") and, as usual the packaging is stunning!

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0086.jpg

I also started testing the fragrance and, right now, I'm leaning towards considering AFP, by far, the best fragrance by Pregoni. This is glorious!!!

The usual lemongrass-dark herbal-vanillish combo of O'Driù is joined by a "bearish" smell. Smells like a bear :)... the opening is not as brutal as other previous Pregoni's fragrances. There's some Laurhum in it, some Lalfeogrigio and, yes, even some Leva but somwhat, smells different from any other O'Driù I experienced so far. It's like O'Driù remixed. The main hallmarks are there but they're assembled to result completely different from the original...

The remarkable animalic presence is not disturbing at all. It's a combination between amber gris and castoreum to my nose even if I initially thought it was civet (hence the opening's bearish smell). It provides great warmness and depth and it's joined by rose, woods galore and a moderately sweet vanilla/tonka/cinnamon combo. There's an overall dryness provided by pepper and woods but the composition never walks the line of harshness. In fact, it's smooth and extremely refined while mantaining an overall assertive character.

There's nothing challenging about this fragrance if not the first couple of minutes of animalic-spicy blast. Composition-wise, I find it excellent and, honestly, I've never smelled something like it. There's a funny aspect going on during the evolution: The fragrance opens with a blast to soon settle down to a moderately powerful middle phase. When you're ready to think it's almost gone, it surprises you by starting to tremendously radiate. This final phase (which is the best part of the whole fragrace) goes on and on and on for several hours. The magic of synthetics :)

Please, don't take this as my review. These are just my random thoughts after my first skin test. As usual with O'Driù, AFP is extremely complex and needs several wearing to be fully understood but, so far, this is a big winner in my book! THIS IS THE ULTIMATE O'DRIU'!

hobbes22

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 17, 2011

Alfarom, thank you for sharing!

Consider me very intrigued... Any idea when this will be available for sampling/ordering?

drseid

Sound Scents
Basenotes Plus
Jun 1, 2003

I finally received the "Avantgarde Fetish Perfume" teaser sample (previously known as "A Secret Perfume") and, as usual the packaging is stunning!

I also started testing the fragrance and, right now, I'm leaning towards considering AFP, by far, the best fragrance by Pregoni. This is glorious!!!

Please, don't take this as my review. These are just my random thoughts after my first skin test. As usual with O'Driù, AFP is extremely complex and needs several wearing to be fully understood but, so far, this is a big winner in my book! THIS IS THE ULTIMATE O'DRIU'!

The notes sound extremely promising, although I have never smelled a bear up close (and don't care to try)... ;-) I definitely look forward to trying this one out... If it turns out to indeed be Mr. Pregoni's best work to date then that is saying something, as he has already been on quite a roll with his other extremely strong releases.

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011

The notes sound extremely promising, although I have never smelled a bear up close (and don't care to try)... ;-) I definitely look forward to trying this one out...

LOL! The "bear" analogy is to be taken very figuratively! LOL Bearish in the meaning of something wild, scary and, at the same time, beatiful and not of something skanky, poo-like and malodorous :D The animalics elements of AFP are all about warmness and depth and not dirtiness.

Yes, IMO, this is the most satisfying O'Driù to date and I know it's saying quite something. There's something in its drydown that is completely magic. I'm antious for you to get this Drseid!

Hobbes, the fragrance should be launched sometime during 2013. I'm not sure yet when samples will be available but I guess it won't take long.

d4N13L

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 24, 2010

That large decanter with funnel, atomiser, pipette and all is just the sample????

trex57

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 5, 2010

Thanks Alfarom for your initial review. This sounds like another winner for sure. I can't wait to get my hands on it.

MonkeyBars

Basenotes Dependent
May 18, 2011

I get that bearish vibe from Yatagan too -- it's a super furry wildness that usually comes from lots of castoreum. The rose and vanilla have me feeling a bit skeptical. But sometimes with me it's just a matter of making juice animalic enough for me to dig, especially with some herbs and wood to dry things out. (Lavender and vanilla? Caron puH? Ew! Jicky? Love it.)

Thanks so much for your thoughts Alfa. Sounds like Sgn. Pregoni has once again stepped up his game.

alfarom

Power Where You Need It
Basenotes Plus
Mar 4, 2011

I get that bearish vibe from Yatagan too -- it's a super furry wildness that usually comes from lots of castoreum. The rose and vanilla have me feeling a bit skeptical. But sometimes with me it's just a matter of making juice animalic enough for me to dig, especially with some herbs and wood to dry things out. (Lavender and vanilla? Caron puH? Ew! Jicky? Love it.)

Thanks so much for your thoughts Alfa. Sounds like Sgn. Pregoni has once again stepped up his game.

The opening might lead me to think it's a no-go for you but try to get past it. It takes very little for this stuff to open and bloom into something drier, extremely deep, almost vertigo inducing...

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...