Scents You Despise.

Hugh V.

Basenotes Dependent
Dec 9, 2016
I have yet to come across a fragrance I actually despise.

Maybe Cool Water and it's lesser clones. By the time I was in college, I found the smell almost noxious. It's the sharp chemical ingredient d-something that's just too much for me.

Wearing Invictus is pretty unpleasant for me. I get why it's popular, and I even somewhat welcome it when smelling it on others. Gourmands were new to me, so a novelty in perfumery is always nice. But wearing it? It's what I imagine the olfactory equivalent of a sugar induced cavity might be like.

I'm reading some of these other experiences and descriptions, and wow, some real stinker fragrances out there. "The Devil's Dung"???

It's funny, I find Aramis so much easier to wear than a lot of beloved classics that get love around these parts (Antaeus, for one, which I respect more than enjoy).
Aramis brings to mind hairy knuckles, BO, and tank tops. It smells like it should be called "Brute."

That said, it's surprisingly easy to wear, especially compared to fragrances like Polo, Fahrenheit, Invictus, etc. For being such a challenging scent, it feels very light on the skin. I actually enjoy wearing it, as it feels like a second skin, whereas some fragrances feel like they're this mish-mash of harsh chemicals just hovering above the skin and stabbing your nostrils with stilettos. Aramis is a surprisingly smooth fragrance. Excellent blending and all that. I'd have kept my bottle but it just doesn't fit my look or personality whatsoever.

Outside of the Stanley-From-A-Street-Car-Named-Desire-vibe, Aramis sometimes conjures up images to me of white wine or champagne and flowers. It's either this really classy, sophisticated 007 scent, or like a smelly caveman in a tuxedo.

I'd probably say that it's the best "macho" fragrance ever created, more macho or masculine than Polo even. It seems to have fared far better in reformulation than the classics from two decades later.

For those that hate Aramis, is there a particular note that you can't abide? Maybe the cumin? Is it the aggressive aldehydic opening, which I suppose isn't all that common in masculine-marketed perfumery these days? Funky green galbanum? Or is it that sharp IBQ leather in the heart?
I don't know about the particular note. I suppose it could be the cumin, because Aramis can be interpreted as a BO-like smell.

Aug 16, 2022
Here's one: Distant weed. First of all it just smells like eau de skunk. And they always think they're being really discreet but it takes one microsecond to tell it's the car with tinted windows by itself in the middle of the parking lot.

cdave2

Mar 10, 2019
Here's one: Distant weed.

I concour. Not my thing at all.

Oddly, I’ve noticed it less around town than before recreational marijuana was legalized. I’m guessing it’s lost some of its “cool” cachet and become simply a personal choice, subject to the same concern about imposing upon others as anything else. I can live with that! 🙂

Maize & Blue

Basenotes Member
Sep 8, 2022
In terms of brands, I've yet to smell anything even remotely appealing from Tom Ford or PDM, sadly.

As far as scents/notes go, I'm not into tobacco, leather, overly sweet, or warm & spicy focused colognes, even though I know many of those tend to be more popular these days for some.

JBHoren

I'm a social vegan. I avoid meet.
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
Another odor that makes me literally gag is nutritional yeast--commonly used as a vegan substitute for regular chees in dishes like mac and cheese.
I ❤️💛💚💙💜 nutritional yeast... since I first tasted it, back in the mid-1980s. Today, I add a quarter-cup to my cottage cheese... every day of the week!

JBHoren

I'm a social vegan. I avoid meet.
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
The offending spf is from Neutrogena. I like their sensitive skin face lotion - it was the only lotion I could find that truly had absolutely no fragrance, and it layered well with the Biore spf 50 that I use.

It’s apparently been discontinued, so I grabbed the only other Neutrogena lotion that was still on the shelf - the same line, just with spf. It smells like the thick, creamy sunblocks of the 90s - I can’t really explain it. It’s just terrible. It smells like sand in your swimsuit. No coconut or banana in sight.
Sand in your swimsuit. LOL!
Better than Sand in The Vaseline :rolleyes:

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...