San Francisco Meet-Up May 7th!!!

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
I'm editing this entire post (AGAIN, as of 4/21) to bring everything up to date:

The next San Francisco meet-up and shop-a-thon will be a month from now, on Saturday May 7th.

We've teamed up with the folks at NowSmellThis to make this a bigger event.

We'll be meeting at noon at Diptyque. Everyone will get an information packet and a name tag. We'll then terrorize the city, sniffing anything and everything to be had. We'll probably break up into smaller groups (it looks like there will be quite a few of us), meeting all together to meet with some big names: Ineke Ruhland of Ineke, Kilian Henessey of By Kilian, and Delrae Roth of Parfums Delrae!

Barneys has promised a generous gift with purchase (without the crazy $250 minimum like they usually have!) and Nordstrom will be putting together gift bags to go with Ineke's appearance. We're still working with other stores and perfume lines, so stay tuned!

I'll be sending private messages to confirm with everyone who has expressed an interest here, so please check your mailboxes! We need to get accurate numbers in order to plan the promotions.

See everyone on the 7th!!!

Last edited:

Jabel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 22, 2009
Re: San Francisco Spring Sniff???

I'm good for either day as well as long as I have the day off work lol.

JaimeB

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 27, 2005

I'm down with that. Either date works for me, after about 1 p.m. These are always such great fun! I notice the S. F. Bay Area Basenoters group has a few new members. We should make an effort to include them in the invitation!

Hollandaze

Dec 21, 2007

I'm good for either day as well as long as I have the day off work lol.

Hell yea, Jacob!

I'm going with Ashkan as long as it's not the week before finals for him. I might bring my buddy Sean. I think it'll be a good test to see how our noses are about a year after visiting Barney's, Neiman's, and Sak's for 4-5 more times since the last meet up. I think Rex at Barney's knows us by now.

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009

Cool! Good to see people writing in.

Anyone else?

(I'm shamelessly bumping this thread...)

ROtto

Sep 1, 2008

I went to Tama's NowSmellThis sniff last autumn, and it was quite a marathon. We started at 11:30, hitting just about every place around Union Square and on Market. We then met Angela, a very cool NowSmellThis writer from Portland, and went back to Barney's and Saks, ending up with dinner at John's Grill. It was a bit too much, and most people came and went throughout the day, but it was a lot of fun.

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009

Cool - I think Mike would win the travelled-the-furthest award if it works out!

And the date is now official: May 7th.

Save the date!

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009

This thread keeps falling off, so I'm just bumping again... Anyone else care to join us?

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009

Oddly, I don't know the answer to that question. The lady who puts it together for them is named Tama, but I don't know if she's one of their writers or not...

Slushiex3

Jun 27, 2010

might consider it! but i feel out of place in a crowd of such sophisticated ladies and gentlemen!

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009

We're not that sophisticated. Well, at least I'm not.

The first time we dragged out Rawk Lee to one of these, which I'm guessing was one of his first forays into the world of niche scents, he posted a hilarious youtube video about it where he said that by the last couple of stores, he just kept spraying and sniffing things and all he thought was "That smells weird - I wouldn't wear it" over and over and over again.

But now he's rocking Cereus and working his way through Malle samples and shopping with the big boys (Yes, Rawk, I saw the picture of your collection now!). There's no better way to up your game than with folks who know their way around, and Basenotes is full of them. When I started here I really didn't know much of anything - it was people like Rotto and JaimeB and PaulSC who knew so much and made me interested in going deeper into things.

Jabel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 22, 2009

I'll probably be bringing one of my customers with me from Sac as well to this btw. Also can we edit the main post with the date that we settled on?

Hollandaze

Dec 21, 2007

We're not that sophisticated. Well, at least I'm not.

The first time we dragged out Rawk Lee to one of these, which I'm guessing was one of his first forays into the world of niche scents, he posted a hilarious youtube video about it where he said that by the last couple of stores, he just kept spraying and sniffing things and all he thought was "That smells weird - I wouldn't wear it" over and over and over again.

But now he's rocking Cereus and working his way through Malle samples and shopping with the big boys (Yes, Rawk, I saw the picture of your collection now!). There's no better way to up your game than with folks who know their way around, and Basenotes is full of them. When I started here I really didn't know much of anything - it was people like Rotto and JaimeB and PaulSC who knew so much and made me interested in going deeper into things.

I would have JUST turned 30 by the time this meet up happens on the official date. You know what they say, 30's the new 20. I dress like a college kid anyway, (off white/brown patterned bomber jacket, SF Giants fitted, Air Jordan sneakers), I totally didn't fit in with the crowd around me, but my nose did. Although by the end of the trip, my nose was tired, so a lot of the thicker, brown colored Serge Lutens almost all started to smell the same. BTW, the person I brought with me and I went back with another reviewer friend from YouTube. We pretty much went a few more times. The other friend walked out with Musc Ravageur, he (the person I brought with me the 1st time) ended up buying Saffron Troublant. We usually stop by to say wassup to Rex. He's our homie. Heck, we even stopped by Sak's 5th once so those two can take advantage of their Bond No. 9 sales event (buy 2 bottles, get 1 free tester).

At least delving into the world of niche has allowed me to discover what's out there and really figure out where my style is. At least it takes a lot to wow me and still manage to tell myself, "Yea, I can wear this." After last year's event, I'm a much smarter consumer and I'm able to connect the dots on certain notes a little easier. Now that you mentioned that I wear Cereus #7, it was simply a different spin on the Green Irish Tweed (which I got hooked on over the summer) citrus-aromatic template. It ended up smelling eerily similar in the base as YSL L'Homme's tonka bean base (which I'm a huge fan of). Anyway, I'm looking to have a rematch with Comme des Garcons Incense: Kyoto. I haven't been a fan of incense fragrances, but I have a gut feeling this might sell me on the idea of wearing this one.

Does the Dior boutique in Neiman Marcus carry the privée lineup? I'm kinda bummed that Cologne Blanche is discontinued. REALLY wanted to smell that. I wonder if there's somewhat of a replacement for it nowadays (light, transparent, baby powdery). I wanted to make it a fair fight between FM L'eau d'Hiver and Prada Infusion d'Homme. :p

Last edited:

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009

Does the Dior boutique in Neiman Marcus carry the privée lineup? I'm kinda bummed that Cologne Blanche is discontinued. REALLY wanted to smell that. I wonder if there's somewhat of a replacement for it nowadays (light, transparent, baby powdery). I wanted to make it a fair fight between FM L'eau d'Hiver and Prada Infusion d'Homme. :p

They don't have the new exclusives (like the oud one). I guess we'll have to wait for the new Dior boutique to open on Union Square to sniff those. But Neimans usually does have the three older exclusives (Eau Noire, Cologne Blanche, and that other one). I can't guarantee any of them at any specific moment, but that's where I've smelled them.

Hollandaze

Dec 21, 2007

They don't have the new exclusives (like the oud one). I guess we'll have to wait for the new Dior boutique to open on Union Square to sniff those. But Neimans usually does have the three older exclusives (Eau Noire, Cologne Blanche, and that other one). I can't guarantee any of them at any specific moment, but that's where I've smelled them.

I just know with the revamped exclusive lineup, only Cologne Blanche didn't survive. Oh well, there's always Bois d'Argent and that's not a bad thing.

Jabel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 22, 2009

Just put my day off request in and spoke to my customer and we should both be going (if not both then my self for sure). Hope to see you all soon!

JaimeB

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 27, 2005
What are the chances of hitting Gump's along the way? They have had some interesting things there in the past...

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
Now that Gumps has Histoire de Parfums, they've gotten a lot more interesting!

And Jaime, if you can't make it until 1:00, I'll give you my cell number so we can get you situated.

Jun 25, 2009
Hi rogalal,
I've responded in the other thread. But I'm adding my interest here too. I'd love to join you all on May 7th.
Thanks to JaimeB for giving me the heads-up on the meet-up date. Can't wait.

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
Cool - nice to see the responses!

We've just heard back that Kilian Henessey does want to meet with us, so we'll be sniffing the By Kilian line with him, and the kind folks at Barneys have arranged for us to meet with Delrae Roth, the owner of Parfums Delrae also!

With them plus Ineke, it's going to be a very full afternoon.

We're up to 29 RSVP's, so we'll be a formidable group.

As an aside, has anyone heard from PaulSC lately? He's one of our regulars and he seems to be missing in action...

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
Nice! Hopefully Ashkan can make it - he was very cool.

Jabel, are you a YouTube guy too? Do you have a link?

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
Some updates:

It looks like they're pulling out all the bells and whistles for our meeting with Kilian. It turns out it's a champagne reception with snacks in Saks' private salon. If anyone is planning on buying anything Kilian, you should probably call ahead so they can have it ready (he'll sign it and stuff). Also, today (May 1st) is the final day of Saks' Friends & Family sale, where all fragrance is 10% off, including the expensive stuff that never goes on sale (like Kilian or Clive Christian). So if you call them today (the number is 415-438-5484) and pay over the phone, you can get your stuff on sale and pick it up Saturday!

Also, the Neiman Marcus Scent Event is going on, with a free purse full of samples if you buy $85 there.

And Barneys is having a gift card event (in addition to the gifts with purchase they're doing especially for us!) where you get a $25 gift card if you spend $250.

This is shaping up to be a seriously epic shopping day!

Jabel

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 22, 2009
I wish I had money to spend on something I don't need right now >_<. Unfortunately for my bank account I'll still probably end up buying some L'artisan or possibly the new Le Labo :(.

rogalal

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
They had a hidden tester of Santal 33 at Barneys last week. It's interesting - a bit animalic and weird before drying down into an incredible dusty wood smell.

In addition to everything else, Saks is doing their Mothers Day atomizer giveaway, where you get a cute little empty leather-wrapped atomizer if you buy something (perfect for trading decants after we're finished!). I also just talked to their manager, who has promised us goody bags!!!

Latest News