Salvador Dali: I'm a bit confused

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
Eh? I'm confused now also

I've only ever seen it in the weird shaped dark green bottle with the 'lips' cap

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
It appears that bottle design was released in 1992. Fragrantica has a separate entry for that version: https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Salvador-Dali/Salvador-by-Salvador-Dali-1992-5522.html

I own - and have only ever smelled - the pre-barcode version in the "Dali lips" bottle design. From what I can tell, the box should say COPRA and/or COFCI somewhere, and the frame of the window on the front of the box should be golden (not silver or blue). For the 1st vintage, that is.

I don't know if that 1992 version was reformulated with the re-release but some of the reviews seem to say so. On Fragrantica, someone says it's "bright". I definitely wouldn't say that of my version. It's gloomy if anything, lol.

Jean-Sté

Jan 1, 2021
It appears that bottle design was released in 1992. Fragrantica has a separate entry for that version: https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Salvador-Dali/Salvador-by-Salvador-Dali-1992-5522.html

I own - and have only ever smelled - the pre-barcode version in the "Dali lips" bottle design. From what I can tell, the box should say COPRA and/or COFCI somewhere, and the frame of the window on the front of the box should be golden (not silver or blue). For the 1st vintage, that is.

I don't know if that 1992 version was reformulated with the re-release but some of the reviews seem to say so. On Fragrantica, someone says it's "bright". I definitely wouldn't say that of my version. It's gloomy if anything, lol.

Problem solved ! Thanks a lot, my friend Motorcade ! :thumbsup:

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020

You're welcome, Jean-Sté! It can certainly get confusing - it sure was for me, when I was trying to source a vintage. And even then it was a gamble because I could find only one mention of the "Edition Speciale" (which was the one I bought) on the internet.

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
Solid sleuthing!

I have never seen that version in any store in London. Why change to an inferior bottle design then revert back to the original?

woodnotes55

Oct 27, 2016
Solid sleuthing!

I have never seen that version in any store in London. Why change to an inferior bottle design then revert back to the original?

Good question.... can't you see some slightly deranged content designer going "I'll do this bottle for one season and then go back just so it will f@@@ with everyone that realize the genius of the scent 20 years too late"!!!!!!

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
I own this. It's called "Salvador" and is an entirely unrelated scent to Dali pour Homme. I reviewed it too but it's an older review so it may not be up to my current standards (aka not so helpful).

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
It appears that bottle design was released in 1992. Fragrantica has a separate entry for that version: https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Salvador-Dali/Salvador-by-Salvador-Dali-1992-5522.html [...]
It's not a different 'version', it's a totally different fragrance.
The green bottle with 'lips' is called Salvador Dali Pour Homme, released in 1987, and blended by Wasser.
The transsparent bottle with blue cap is called Salvador, released in 1992, and blended by Anthony and Ermenidis (according to Fragrantica).

The notes are also different, and the fragrance to whom each fragrance is being compared to in the 'reminds me of' section of Fragrantica are also very different.

Please read Varanis Ridari's post below!

I own this. It's called "Salvador" and is an entirely unrelated scent to Dali pour Homme. I reviewed it too but it's an older review so it may not be up to my current standards (aka not so helpful).

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Thanks Varanis and Andy! The box of the later release does say "pour Homme" - but only after the "Eau de Toilette". Potential confusion for both seller and buyer.

RCavs

Sep 13, 2004
I've tried this fragrance (via decant) and It's spicy and bright (not 90's bright, very 80's bright). I dare say It's even fresh! (again, as fresh as an 80's fragrance can be)
From memory, reminded me of a "happier" Krizia Moods.

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006

Thank you so much for this contribution, having been so far only familiar with the more commonly known black bottle design of this.

Therefore having up to now and your very decisive contribution more difficulties to determine whether this was/is a limited edition, a flanker, a less common vintage etc. of this great scent or even none of these.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
View attachment 159965

Is this the original style box to look for?

I was already wrong once in this thread, lol, so someone correct me if I'm wrong but YES - the golden window frame should be one sign of vintage, according to what I've read and also browsed through listings and pictures. In the current, the frame/outline is a thin blue stripe and I believe at some point it was silver (although now I'm thinking the silver window frame may have only been in that later Salvador [1992] at some point).

That said, I'd personally go by whether there's a barcode or not, because if it's missing.... jackpot! :coolold:

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Come to think of it, isn't it more than a little odd that the "Dali lips" bottle is depicted on the box of Salvador (1992)? There's also the same window frame motif as in Dali pH. No wonder this can appear like a "new version". Maybe that's the impression the marketing/branding were aiming for.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Thanks Varanis and Andy! The box of the later release does say "pour Homme" - but only after the "Eau de Toilette". Potential confusion for both seller and buyer.

Ah -- I guessed as much -- thanks to VR and Andy for confirming

Thanks, Varanis and Andy !

You're welcome! I think I was neutral on it when I reviewed it. I'll wear again and revisit sometime to see if my opinion has changed, but it's definitely not on the same level of Salvador Dali pour Homme.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
You're welcome! I think I was neutral on it when I reviewed it. I'll wear again and revisit sometime to see if my opinion has changed, but it's definitely not on the same level of Salvador Dali pour Homme.

I'm guessing Dali pH was a hit? They were riding on that wave for sure, because if you only saw the box, you'd be lead to believe there's the familiar "Dali lips" bottle inside.

motorcade

Dec 21, 2020
Here is a picture gallery of my Salvador Dali Pour Homme box which I believe is vintage and it has a bar code

https://imgur.com/a/FGsVWaJ

Thanks for the pics, Nosey! As far as I can see, COPRA is not mentioned anywhere on the box (just COFCI)? The window frame is still golden. And my understanding is that "golden is good", a.k.a. should still be the original vintage.

Would be interesting to compare this to the pre-barcode. As Dali pH was released in 1987, the barcode/green dot (starting in the early 90s) doesn't necessarily imply a reformulation yet.

I see the box still reads "UTIF". The abbreviation changed to "UTF" in 1990. Of course, "UTIF" isn't an exact indicator of year, as they may have continued using the older box design or remaining stock throughout the early 90s.

Latest News