Royal Oud - An appreciation

• Thread starter Deleted member 13385235
  • Start date

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I previously mentioned that this has a common theme (actually it’s galbanum and angelica) with French Lover. I also find it has parallels to Dior Jules for the same notes but the latter goes down a leather path with florals like cyclamen. French Lover and Royal Oud are both bone dry scents though.

Have to say that my wife hates this one as do several others in the family.

Democritus

Basenotes Dependent
Mar 7, 2017
I previously mentioned that this has a common theme (actually it’s galbanum and angelica) with French Lover. I also find it has parallels to Dior Jules for the same notes but the latter goes down a leather path with florals like cyclamen. French Lover and Royal Oud are both bone dry scents though.

I enjoy Royal Oud but I do find it rather over appreciated, at least here.

adamn2020

May 29, 2018

Thanks for the input, but curious, which scents does your lady prefer?

Diamond Joe

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
Royal Oud is my favorite fragrance. Year round, winter, summer, day, night, formal, casual, whatever. by far my most worn. That being said, it is NOT a compliment magnet for some reason.

I also have 16L01 (and a backup - I think this is the most common batch), a 75ml 11X01 (first year batch) and I was incredibly lucky to find a full, unsprayed 75ml bottle of 10K01 (pre-production batch!!) to back up the partial bottle of 10K01 I already had. That 10K stuff is absolutely magical. If I had to pick one fragrance to live with for the rest of my life, I would not hesitate to say; Royal Oud.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011

I used to have this one. I was convinced that there should be something well suited for fall and winter from Creed just like there is for spring and summer. Thing was I never got around to reaching for it and whenever I did wear I didn't really enjoy it.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I used to have this one. I was convinced that there should be something well suited for fall and winter from Creed just like there is for spring and summer. Thing was I never got around to reaching for it and whenever I did wear I didn't really enjoy it.

Same feelings here. Just never liked it.

Opening and mid notes I love, after repeated wearings many actually the dry down what not as interesting I wish the mid notes were the dry down!

Got to agree with this too. The dry down feels unfinished to me and just doesn’t settle well on me.

adamn2020

May 29, 2018
Royal Oud is my favorite fragrance. Year round, winter, summer, day, night, formal, casual, whatever. by far my most worn. That being said, it is NOT a compliment magnet for some reason.

I also have 16L01 (and a backup - I think this is the most common batch), a 75ml 11X01 (first year batch) and I was incredibly lucky to find a full, unsprayed 75ml bottle of 10K01 (pre-production batch!!) to back up the partial bottle of 10K01 I already had. That 10K stuff is absolutely magical. If I had to pick one fragrance to live with for the rest of my life, I would not hesitate to say; Royal Oud.

That's awesome! My 16L01 will be here tomm and Ill update once I get it. There a major difference in the 11X01 compared to your 16 batch? Thanks!

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
Still love Royal Oud. It smells like what I imagine a Moroccan spice market smells like when walking thru the street. Tobacco leaf, black pepper, woods, almost like a sweet date note and it just has a warm, pleasing depth to it. Very easy to like. If there is oud in it then it's not very much, perhaps a hint somewhere in there for effect. It's certainly not prominent.

Can't wait for the weather to get a little colder. I will wear this one for sure! This is one of my top-5 all-time ranked fragrances.

adamn2020

May 29, 2018
Still love Royal Oud. It smells like what I imagine a Moroccan spice market smells like when walking thru the street. Tobacco leaf, black pepper, woods, almost like a sweet date note and it just has a warm, pleasing depth to it. Very easy to like. If there is oud in it then it's not very much, perhaps a hint somewhere in there for effect. It's certainly not prominent.

Can't wait for the weather to get a little colder. I will wear this one for sure! This is one of my top-5 all-time ranked fragrances.

I’m exited to wear it in the fall! It has been humid and muggy but I was still able to tell that RO has depth and decent longevity

adamn2020

May 29, 2018
Here is my bottle! It was like Christmas morning! It had the inserts, batch code, and the underneath white nozzle. I can sleep at night know I purchased a legit Creed online without getting shammed. Thanks for everybody’s input on what will most likely be my signature for the rest of the year! Not sure why the picture is always sideways when I upload.

RO1.jpg

Malteaser

Sep 1, 2019
Hello everyone this is my first post and it’s Royal Oud that brought me here. I came across it after buying a flacon of Aventus from Nose and received a sample of Royal Oud. I don’t know why but it was the one sample I wanted to try first. At first I thought this was way too strong and peppery and the tobacco note was sharp to my nose. I thought I didn’t like it but when the dry down kicked in I was sent to heaven. I have never smelt anything like it. I couldn’t wait, I ordered a flacon from Nose. Batch 17W01. It’s my birthday soon anyway.

There is definitely an oud accord to this but seems hidden under the sweeter notes and the cedar in a most wonderful way. If you can manage to get a nose on Whispered Myths by Imaginary Authors or even Pierre Guillaume - L’Eau Guerrere you can definitely distinguish the Oud accords including in the dry down but so much more delicately balanced with all the other notes.

Royal Oud is a masterpiece. Now to find my next Creed scent - any help along those lines would be appreciated but not before I totally immerse myself in Royal Oud until Spring.

speckmann0706

Basenotes Institution
Mar 8, 2017
Hello everyone this is my first post and it’s Royal Oud that brought me here. I came across it after buying a flacon of Aventus from Nose and received a sample of Royal Oud. I don’t know why but it was the one sample I wanted to try first. At first I thought this was way too strong and peppery and the tobacco note was sharp to my nose. I thought I didn’t like it but when the dry down kicked in I was sent to heaven. I have never smelt anything like it. I couldn’t wait, I ordered a flacon from Nose. Batch 17W01. It’s my birthday soon anyway.

There is definitely an oud accord to this but seems hidden under the sweeter notes and the cedar in a most wonderful way. If you can manage to get a nose on Whispered Myths by Imaginary Authors or even Pierre Guillaume - L’Eau Guerrere you can definitely distinguish the Oud accords including in the dry down but so much more delicately balanced with all the other notes.

Royal Oud is a masterpiece. Now to find my next Creed scent - any help along those lines would be appreciated but not before I totally immerse myself in Royal Oud until Spring.

Green Irish Tweed
Bois Du Portugal
Royal Mayfair

Malteaser

Sep 1, 2019
Just to add Aventus layered with Royal Oud is totally awesome and makes Aventus smell the way that it should have in the first place :p take care everyone

Malteaser

Sep 1, 2019
Green Irish Tweed
Bois Du Portugal
Royal Mayfair

Hey great thanks ... I’ve yet to test RM but I really like BdP but perhaps I’m not so keen on GIT it’s a bit too green for me. I’ve got a sample of SMW & Santal, Id really like to get a nose of Spice & Wood and kind of like RW. I don’t know, so many Creed frags to be tried and I’m such a noob. Thanks or your help ��

hellbentforleather

Basenotes Dependent
May 18, 2016

Diamond Joe, how does 16L01 compare to 11X01? I just snagged a bottle of 11X01 but don't want to burn through it. I have an opportunity to grab a bottle of 16L01 for daily use and am curious. Thank you :).

Buysblind

Basenotes Institution
Jan 21, 2011
I still love this one, and every year it manages to inch up my "TOP" list a little bit more. It's around #5 right now. A really great, somewhat underappreciated Creed.

Diamond Joe

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
Is there a major difference in the 11X01 compared to your 16 batch? Thanks!

Diamond Joe, how does 16L01 compare to 11X01? I just snagged a bottle of 11X01 but don't want to burn through it. I have an opportunity to grab a bottle of 16L01 for daily use and am curious. Thank you :).

Sorry I didn't see this originally! They are the same scent, obviously, and a lot of people turn off as soon as the word "batch" is mentioned, but there are minor differences. (If you don't think "batch variation" is a real thing with Creed, I don't know what to tell you. It is.) I wish someone with a better grasp of individual notes and a better command of written language could expound on this... But, personally I find the 11X01 to be a little bit "heavier" if that makes sense, more dense, while the 16L is more airy. The opening/mid of 11X has more pronounced angelica and galbanum, whereas 16L has more pepper in the opening and the citrus notes are amped up as well - which probably contributes to it feeling more airy. The older version also is stronger, two or three sprays of 11X does what 5 sprays of 16L accomplishes. That being said, I don't think the 11X is "better". I actually think that the 16L might feel a little better blended, a little bit more "put together" overall. I don't think you'd be disappointed by owning both, as - like you said you'd do - the 16L would be great for daily wear while you save the 11X for more special or more formal wear. I think the "airiness" of 16L makes it a little better in hot (dry) weather too.

Sorry I can't shed any more light on it! Thats the best I can do. Can anybody else opine on the differences?

Nov 10, 2019
Despite the fact that it was born in an era strangled and decimated by the fascist tomfoolery of the IFRA (an acronym for which I have a few of my own definitions), I enjoy Royal Oud and believe it is one of the better fragrances made in the 21st century.

hellbentforleather

Basenotes Dependent
May 18, 2016
Sorry I didn't see this originally! They are the same scent, obviously, and a lot of people turn off as soon as the word "batch" is mentioned, but there are minor differences. (If you don't think "batch variation" is a real thing with Creed, I don't know what to tell you. It is.) I wish someone with a better grasp of individual notes and a better command of written language could expound on this... But, personally I find the 11X01 to be a little bit "heavier" if that makes sense, more dense, while the 16L is more airy. The opening/mid of 11X has more pronounced angelica and galbanum, whereas 16L has more pepper in the opening and the citrus notes are amped up as well - which probably contributes to it feeling more airy. The older version also is stronger, two or three sprays of 11X does what 5 sprays of 16L accomplishes. That being said, I don't think the 11X is "better". I actually think that the 16L might feel a little better blended, a little bit more "put together" overall. I don't think you'd be disappointed by owning both, as - like you said you'd do - the 16L would be great for daily wear while you save the 11X for more special or more formal wear. I think the "airiness" of 16L makes it a little better in hot (dry) weather too.

Sorry I can't shed any more light on it! Thats the best I can do. Can anybody else opine on the differences?

No, that's perfect! Thanks for your detailed response :). My current decant from 2018/19 is very much as you describe 16L01 - airy, rounder, spicier even as the angelica and galbanum seem more evident. I love the richness of 11X01. The sandalwood and musk play well with the cedar and hint of oud.

old_factory

Nov 11, 2019
I don't know what it is about Creed, but ever since I tried Green Irish Tweed, I've been converted. Can some of you Royal Oud lovers recommend another brand that you think is as good? For example,
speckmann070[/QUOTE said:
&
Man Of The World[/QUOTE said:
- you have more colognes in your signatures than I have time to try... So hoping to narrow it down a lot. I'll admit to liking Aventus too - but I forget which batches of each I've had (Royal Oud, Aventus, and Irish Tweed)... I'm on my last drop of Royal Oud, which is currently my only cologne - desperate times!

Diamond Joe

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
Can some of you Royal Oud lovers recommend another brand that you think is as good?

I'm a huge fan of Dior. Fahrenheit (either the EDT if you like the petrol note, or the Parfum if you just want an amazing, 5 star boozy-vanilla/suede/juicy violet masterpiece) is a home run. Dior Homme Parfum is similarly a masterpiece, and the best of the Dior Homme line IMO. Eau Sauvage Parfum is also a masterpiece, a timeless classic that can be worn anytime for any occasion. Feve Deliciouse is maybe the best gourmand out there. You cannot go wrong with Dior, unless you buy Sauvage EDT :)

Diamond Joe

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
Nice! Yeah, I find my 2011 bottle to be cozier and warmer than the newer, more brisk batches.

Exactly what I was trying to describe. The 2011 stuff is heavier, cozier and warmer than the (slightly) lighter, more airy newer stuff. I think thats because there is less citrus in the 2011 stuff, so its more woody/spicy. I do think the 16L is easier to wear and I adore both versions.

Ok, I want a 2011 bottle like right now.

LOL actually, what you want is a 2010 bottle. :lolk: The 2011 stuff is very nice and deep and rich but the 2010 batches (10K01CP) take it to a whole other level. They are simply sublime. The pinnacle of Royal Oud IMO. That batch balances out the heaviness of the 2011 version with the lighter, more airiness of later batches. Its deeper, richer, and creamier in every way, and feels perfectly blended and perfectly balanced. Its the Holy Grail of my collection.

Diamond Joe

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 5, 2019
This seller only sells vintage, hard-to-find batches. Her prices are really high (ludicrously high in some cases) but I think this 2011 bottle has been up for a long time (pretty sure its come down in asking price at least $100). She might be open to a realistic offer. If you could get her down to around ~$210 or so I think it'd be a pretty good deal (~$3/ml)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-VINTA...:rfwAAOSw2NhceaGi:sc:USPSPriority!01464!US!-1

either that or just be patient and keep your eyes open everywhere it might be sold, the way I got both my 2010 and 2011 bottles was just waiting for someone to sell who had no idea (and didn't care) what batch they had. I paid $100 for my ~60% full 75ml 2011 bottle from someone here on BN and I got really lucky and won an auction for an unsprayed 2010 75ml bottle for $165 on feeBay.

hellbentforleather

Basenotes Dependent
May 18, 2016
This seller only sells vintage, hard-to-find batches. Her prices are really high (ludicrously high in some cases) but I think this 2011 bottle has been up for a long time (pretty sure its come down in asking price at least $100). She might be open to a realistic offer. If you could get her down to around ~$210 or so I think it'd be a pretty good deal (~$3/ml)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-VINTA...:rfwAAOSw2NhceaGi:sc:USPSPriority!01464!US!-1

either that or just be patient and keep your eyes open everywhere it might be sold, the way I got both my 2010 and 2011 bottles was just waiting for someone to sell who had no idea (and didn't care) what batch they had. I paid $100 for my ~60% full 75ml 2011 bottle from someone here on BN and I got really lucky and won an auction for an unsprayed 2010 75ml bottle for $165 on feeBay.

Great advice. I lucked out with a bit of patience on both my recent vintage purchases. I snagged a full 75ml bottle of 2011 Royal Oud for 140 from an incredibly kind seller and a full 50ml of vintage Heritage for 60.

oudaddict

Basenotes Dependent
Feb 2, 2017
Great advice. I lucked out with a bit of patience on both my recent vintage purchases. I snagged a full 75ml bottle of 2011 Royal Oud for 140 from an incredibly kind seller and a full 50ml of vintage Heritage for 60.

I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it. I would buy Fragrance du Bois' Oud Rouge Intense, which is a better iteration of Royal Oud.

hellbentforleather

Basenotes Dependent
May 18, 2016
I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it. I would buy Fragrance du Bois' Oud Rouge Intense, which is a better iteration of Royal Oud.

This sounds nice though I really love the galbanum and angelica in RO and would miss it. I may sample it. Currently, I just find RO incredibly satisfying, especially in cooler weather.

adamn2020

May 29, 2018
Royal Oud may be number 1 out of my Creed collection. I think it ties with my GIT 13T01 for performance. I have seen a few bottles go up on eBay recently, not sure if they vintage or not.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...