Roomsprays worthy of using as fragrance, (on clothes)...

david

Jun 7, 2005
I recently discovered a roomspray from Nicolai called 'La Route du Cedre'. This stuff is sensational, although it has little, (in fact nothing) to do with cedar.
This is the most beautiful vintage Chanel no.19 I have ever smelled. It has the quality of the vintage no.19 extrait.
I would urge Chanel fans and lovers of green fragrances to check this out. At around €45/ $50 it's a steal.
I have been spraying on my clothes and it works perfectly as a body fragrance.

Also, Jardin d'Orient from Rigaud is another contender for fans of patchouli. Again, it's intended as a roomspray, but is simply too good for that purpose. It's an equisite patchouli and dark chocolate cocktail that projects well and lasts for ages on clothes.

Please add, if you have similar experiences with other room sprays.

Last edited:

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I too like de NicolaI room sprays, though so far I have not tried them as perfumes. But I have not smelled la route du cedre so now I am curious… her brume d’oreiller fleur d’oranger is cologne like fresh and seems like it could work, but I have not tried.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015
Only one I can think of that comes close for me to behaving like a skin Fragrance is Diptyque's John Galliano.
Also my first thought, a wonderful leather/old castle smell. Never tried it on clothes though.

Is anyone concerned about ingredients in room sprays staining clothing?
I've also wondered this. Frederic Malle Perfume Guns for example warn you to spray a few feet away from fabric, I wonder what is in it that might cause damage.

Speaking of Malle, I love the Rosa Rugosa candle/room spray smell and wish they would have a rose like that in their line.

mrcologneguy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 2, 2009
A popular put-down for citrus fragrances is “turned Lemon Pledge.” I’ve always thought it would be a funny prank to wear actual Lemon Pledge as a fragrance, and see if anyone says “oooh, nice fragrance,” or if anyone says “smells like Lemon Pledge.” I’m slow to try this because I don’t relish the idea of applying furniture polish to my clothes or skin. I’m guessing you’d get at least a few compliments, especially if you dressed it up with good clothes and shoes.

This is a fun topic. I’d say wearing other household chemicals and accessories as personal fragrances can’t be that unusual. Dryer sheets, for example. A gateway drug to this concept. Bounce today, maybe a little Ajax behind the ears tomorrow.

Kids, don’t try this at home.

PS: About a week ago my wife brought out a bottle of room spray from an expensive spa in our neighborhood, and casually suggested that it would make a nice skin fragrance. No kidding, thus adding support to the OP’s suggestion. I talked her out of it, though, over safety concerns.

Aitchellsmell

Jul 14, 2017
Holy buckets! My heartfelt thanks to the OP (david)for his take on La Route du Cedre. I read his post, went on a search, found it, ordered it, received it, LOVE IT!!! I agree 112% it is a ringer for Chanel 19 and I will be spraying that badboy all OVER my clothes. I had actually started a thread very similar to this a couple years ago asking the same question; I had a room spray from Crabtree & Evelyn that I couldn’t get enough of, and I used it on my clothes (and skin a few times) with abandon. Regrettably it was discontinued. Anyway, to David I send a huge THANK YOU for introducing me to La Route!

JBHoren

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 25, 2007
I recently discovered a roomspray from Nicolai called 'La Route du Cedre'. This stuff is sensational, although it has little, (in fact nothing) to do with cedar.
Fascinating! For years, I've used a home fragrance from MPG (parents of Route du Vetiver), called Cedre de l'Atlas. During the summer months, I spray it on the filter of my condo's central A/C unit. I tried it — once — on my skin. Unpleasant. But on clothes it's fine. Fragrant, too. Not much sillage, but acceptable longevity.

Simonxyzz

Jul 1, 2012
A fan of LAVS Unum room spray, which I walk under and into (two birds with one stone). Nice for cooler temps. “LAVS, the tailor of Vatican vestments, would scent their clothes with LAVS fragrance before delivery”.

Sep 18, 2018
This is the most beautiful vintage Chanel no.19 I have ever smelled. It has the quality of the vintage no.19 extrait.
I would urge Chanel fans and lovers of green fragrances to check this out. At around €45/ $50 it's a steal.

Also, Jardin d'Orient from Rigaud is another contender for fans of patchouli. Again, it's intended as a roomspray, but is simply too good for that purpose. It's an equisite patchouli and dark chocolate cocktail that projects well and lasts for ages on clothes.

" Cedre" does not mean CEDAR. It means CEDRO, a type of citrus which grows in the Mediterranean. Brush up on your French :eek:)

Sep 18, 2018

david

Jun 7, 2005
"Cedre" doesn't mean Cedar , It means CEDRO, which is a type of citrus grown in the Mediterranean. Brush up on your French .
Thanks,(not) for the rude remarks.
Actually, you need to brush up on your knowledge of perfumes...as well as your knowledge of french...

If you visit the Nicolai website you will see this fragrance is supposed to be an essay on Cedarwood. The opening of the perfume description reads, "Take a trip to Virginia and feel the essence of the cedar tree!"
Notes:
Cedar/Pine/ Pelargonium
...no citrus.
Cedro meaning : (Larousse/langue francaise)

cedro​

nom masculin

(espagnol cedro, cèdre)

• Arbre d'Amérique tropicale, dont le bois rouge et parfumé rappelle celui du cèdre. (On en fait des boîtes à cigares.)

VOUS CHERCHEZ PEUT-ÊTRE

cedro n.m.
Arbre d'Amérique tropicale, dont le bois rouge et parfumé rappelle...

david

Jun 7, 2005
Holy buckets! My heartfelt thanks to the OP (david)for his take on La Route du Cedre. I read his post, went on a search, found it, ordered it, received it, LOVE IT!!! I agree 112% it is a ringer for Chanel 19 and I will be spraying that badboy all OVER my clothes. I had actually started a thread very similar to this a couple years ago asking the same question; I had a room spray from Crabtree & Evelyn that I couldn’t get enough of, and I used it on my clothes (and skin a few times) with abandon. Regrettably it was discontinued. Anyway, to David I send a huge THANK YOU for introducing me to La Route!
I'm glad you like it ! Thanks for trusting me and buying it.

Latest News