Room 1015 - Anyone sampled this house?

dysect

Oct 4, 2013
Hey Basenoters,

o.2221.jpg

I was looking at TwistedLilly's page, I'm wondering if anyone has sampled any of the bottles from house Room 1015. I've been looking at the notes for Electric Wood, and they seem interesting. I did a quick search on BN, but couldn't find a thread out there for Room 1015. I figured I'd make one. At their price point, if they are exceptional perfumes then perhaps their worthy?

nd.30278.jpg

gandhajala

Sep 3, 2010
Tried them briefly and found them to rely heavily on some very common aromachems for effect. So in that regard, they didn't strike me as especially novel.
Might see if I still have samples to try them again properly.

A forest

Dec 6, 2012
I did, and absolutely agree with colin-maillard.
Behind the marketing veil these are very common and boring scents. I tried them in Paris at "liquides" which is also a big joke, where a woman dressed in joggings managed to prove her inability to serve a client with great talent.
I got a sample of 2 among the 3 juices, and left with them on my skin too. Think it was the one that supposedly smells like a Gibson guitar case *cough cough *, a basic woody accord that quickly faded away, and the other one I didn't remember which is a sort of shy amber. Also tried the one targeting the ink addicted tattooed bad boy or girl, but can't remember it.
As said above, when you consider the price of a bottle, well... that's a pricey gimmick for the golden parisian baby rockers imo.
I really liked the bottle though, nice shapes.

dysect

Oct 4, 2013
Ah, thats a shame. I was going to pull the trigger on a small 1ml sample but, so far I'm not convinced . Appreciate the feedback folks.

ionone

Apr 20, 2020
I tried Cherry punk and I must say it is excellent
photorealistic cherry in front, and deep royal background, very complex
love it

also tried Blomma Cult and it's a bit "perfumy" to my taste, but quite good

Electric Wood is left for me to test out

AntonPan

May 8, 2008
Tried them all except Cherry Punk and enjoy them all.
Atramental is a very realistic, challenging to wear leather.
Electric Wood is almost a pure ambroxan.
Yesterday reminds me of Vodka on the Rocks, Fierce, Montblanc legend etc.
Power Ballad smells original with a prominent vetiver, but it doesn't smell familiar.
Ten Fifteen is a pure pleasure mix of violets, tangerine (at start) and sapphron.
Blomma Cult is lipsticky oriental, in the dry down a bit reminds of M7.

Zizzy

Jan 7, 2019
love it

I didn't like Electric Wood - as far as I remember it was something powdery, synthetic (not chemical, though), nothing interesting about it.
But take my review with a pinch of salt, since I wasn't impressed by Cherry Punk, it was just OK - cherry and leather. Not good, not bad.
Wasn't impressed with Yesterday either.

Vesperizon

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 20, 2019
I am really enjoying several of the scents from this house. I work in the music industry, and several of these definitely align with my personal tastes/preferences in fragrances. I bought full bottles of Atramental (truly unique and true to its inky theme) and Electric Wood. The violet/iris softness mixed with the “varnish” accord seems like it wouldn’t work, but totally does (for me).

I still haven’t tried Cherry Punk, but I’d be interested in a split/decant, if anyone has one. It’s becoming difficult to find it on the market.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
I have a 10 ml sample of Electric Wood on the way, and I'll give my thoughts on it when I try it. I'm curious how they will stack up to the gold standard of rock and roll fragrance, Reptile, from the Celine Haute Parfumerie line, by Hedi Slimane. I trust in Hedi Slimane's tastes as he lives and breathes that whole rock and roll life. Dr. Mike seems a bit of a gimmick by comparison, but I am still curious to see what his taste in fragrances is like. There seems to be similarities with both of their styles. Both enjoy powdery iris, and fragrances that don't seem to be beast mode.

I am really enjoying several of the scents from this house. I work in the music industry, and several of these definitely align with my personal tastes/preferences in fragrances.

Based on how the brand describes the fragrances, Electric Wood, Atramental, and Ten Fifteen are the ones that are on my radar. I would encourage you to check out Reptile and Nightclubbing from the Celine Haute Parfumerie line.

REPTILE

THE LUSTROUS GLIMMER OF JET-BLACK SEQUINS, OF MUSKY SCENT AND REPTILIAN LEATHER. A SCENIC AND MUSICAL PERFUME WITH ELECTRIC ACCENTS. SIMILAR OLFACTORY ACCORDS IN CHIAROSCURO. MY PHOTOS AND PORTRAITS OF ROCK STARS IN BLACK AND WHITE GIVE BIRTH TO A MASCULINE-FEMININE PERFUME. IT IS DEDICATED TO THE MUSICIANS I HAVE ENCOUNTERED ALONG THE WAY.

CEDAR, PEPPER, TREE MOSS, LEATHER ACCORD, MUSK.

NIGHTCLUBBING

THE MEMORY OF MY PARISIAN NIGHTS SPENT IN THE BAINS DOUCHES AND THE PALACE EVERY EVENING OF MY LIFE.
THE SMELLS OF SUEDE AND NICOTINE CREATING A DECADENTE AND AMBERED PATINA, FRAGRANT HAIR ON THE NAPE OF A NECK EXUDING A VANILLA AROMA. CRIMSON VELVET ON A SEAT, ENGULFING A BOY AND A GIRL, THEIR IMAGE REFLECTED TO INFINITY.
WANDERING AROUND THE STREETS OF PARIS UNTIL DAWN.

GALBANUM, WHITE ORRIS BUTTER, PATCHOULI, TREE MOSS, VANILLA, MUSK.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I am really enjoying several of the scents from this house. I work in the music industry, and several of these definitely align with my personal tastes/preferences in fragrances. I bought full bottles of Atramental (truly unique and true to its inky theme) and Electric Wood. The violet/iris softness mixed with the “varnish” accord seems like it wouldn’t work, but totally does (for me).
cI still haven’t tried Cherry Punk, but I’d be interested in a split/decant, if anyone has one. It’s becoming difficult to find it on the market.
Have you tried the newest release Sweet Leaf? It's very nice and unique.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Okay got my 10 mL sample of Electric Wood, and first impressions off a test strip it is quite nice. Exactly what I'm looking for as a woody "edgy" scent to compliment my Celine Haute Parfumerie fragrances, and my indie rock and roll fragrance wardrobe.

375x500.30278.jpg

It reminds me facets of the woods used by Thé Noir 29, Patchouli 24, and Dior Homme 2020. The Le Labo fragrances tend to be a bit "too much" for me and tries too hard, and edges too much into the gaudy try hard territory. Dior Homme 2020 has that annoying freshness and sweetness in it that I dislike. I notice that mainstream designer fragrances tend to be composed by throwing a bit of everything inside to appeal to the lowest common denominator. I'm not interested in the idea of "complexity" for the sake of it, and I much prefer something that is very "tight". If I were to create Dior Homme 2020 I would tone down the sweetness and freshness and focus it on the spicy, smokey, woody facets. It tries to hard to be versatile and cover all the bases that it becomes a master of none. Electric Wood is shaping up to be in the Goldilocks zone for me. I'm going to trap my test strip under a cup and analyze the fragrance further as it develops.

Okay, it smells quite dry, woody and spicy, but not necessarily black pepper. It smells very realistic to something that I have smelled before. Almost a bit too hyper realistic. Ignoring the whole concept/hyper realism of this fragrance, and just treating it as individual components, the dry, harsh, wood gives a rugged, tough, masculine feeling. The spices adds texture, bite, and edginess to the fragrance. There is a "sharp" feeling to it, maybe from the spices, so maybe this is the Electric part of the fragrance. While Reptile has more fanciful elements to it, Electric Wood feels quite grounded by comparison. It is similar to the Celine Haute Parfumerie line in being straightforward, minimalistic, and not trying too hard. The main difference between Dr. Mike and Hedi's style is that Hedi is a lot more elegant and androgynous.

I can see it suiting these looks:
2e12b23bec7db604b9aa6780fba3ddb6.png

Screen-Shot-2013-05-29-at-2.36.43-PM.png

WcmJfeheQjCvxOqvonBz

HERO-MAGAZINE-JAKE-BUGG-SAINT-LAURENT-MUSIC-PROJECT1.jpg

Last edited:

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
The dry down of Electric Wood settles quite delicately and beautifully. Quite elegant. Reminds me slightly of the facets of the powdery sweet drydown of Nightclubbing. There are similarities between the two fragrances in how they both start off quite "intense" and drydown to a powdery sweetness while the intense opening still lingers. Nightclubbing uses cigarette smoke as the intense opening, while Electric Wood uses spicy wood as its intense opening. Electric Wood's sweetness is a lot more subtle than the one in Nightclubbing.

Okay, wearing it on my clavicles and it feels a lot more subtle, so I'm definitely anosmic to something that I was able to sense using the Monclin method. The opening was a lot more intense in the perfumed air trapped in the cup. Wearing on skin, it feels quite sensual and alluring. The woods don't scream, and the spices seem to take more of a centre stage. The spices reminds me facets of the spices in Rose 31. The subtle sweetness also comes into play. There is still a "rawness" in the woodiness that I detect, but a lot more subtle. It is a sensitive bad boy rather than an extroverted and aggressive character. The scent feels a lot more elegant on skin and even closer to Hedi's fragrances. Surprisingly sexy. I'm definitely going to be getting 10 ml bottles of Atramental and Ten Fifteen now.

Smelling the drydown of Electric Wood on my t-shirt and I definitely get something "electrical". Quite brilliant.

Last edited:

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Okay during the late drydown of Electric Wood, the similarities it has with Bois d'Argent's drydown is uncanny, and it doesn't really smell anywhere close to Nightclubbing. I find the drydown addicting and sexy without being try hard about it. Knowing Dr. Mike's rock and roll intention, and how highly regarded Bois d'Argent is with the fragrance community, it is obvious that he took inspiration from Hedi's work, like many other brands. Makes sense why I also gravitate towards this fragrance. I usually find Bois d'Argent a bit too elegant for me to want to pull for on a daily basis, but I can see myself pulling for Electric Wood a lot more often. I'm very happy to have it in my collection.

This is a unisex brand, and I think it should be moved to the General Fragrance Discussion. This specific era's Angelina Jolie is who I would pair Electric Wood with:

3b1d88d772bd4fd02ecfcd08dcbd2066.jpg

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
At the heart of the composition is a combination of musks and 0.8% orris butter. Accents of vanilla lend its sweetness, and completes the powdery musky iris theme. In contrast, the woody shades of iris are expanded by patchouli and a noble whiff of frankincense oil at 1.1%. Thus, the character is powdery deep down, but with an interesting woody incense subtext.

The woody tone is kept warm and salty like driftwoods. Here, the unprecedented amount of Ambrox at 13.6% plays a major role with its crisp ambery note. It also gives an interesting warm sillage and a lift to the musky iris theme of Bois d’Argent.

Often, when I have already forgotten that I put on Bois d’Argent, I would still catch its warm, powdery, faintly sweet, and woody semolina hours later. It recalls somewhat the late dry down of Chanel N°19 Poudré, but is inflected with a warm woody accent.

Interestingly, Bois d’Argent explores the warm woody shades of iris whilst remaining easily accessible to both men and women’s shelves. At the centre is iris. The woody aspects are played up by ambergris, patchouli, and frankincense, meanwhile the soft powdery element is expanded by vanilla and musks. My favourite part is in the interesting pairing of the warm ambergris note and the musky flour of iris. It gives not only a beautiful contrast, but also a signature warmth. It is a brilliant composition.

Source: https://imakescents.wordpress.com/2016/06/13/review-christian-dior-bois-dargent-4-5-points/

This review of Bois d'Argent captures parts of what I experience in Electric Wood. I detect spicy woods that feel edgier than the incense and elegant woods used in Bois d'Argent. I also detect the same warm Ambrox + musky flour of iris drydown. From a personal point of view, I adore Hedi's universe so anything that aligns itself closely with it gets top marks for me. I can see how others might want to dock marks since it is riffing on a popular fragrance, rather than being more innovative. However, I feel like imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

It starts off with a masculine blast of woody notes, and after that, it morphs into a warm iris and amber drydown that is incredibly sexy. In fact, it could very well be the best drydown I've encountered so far. Sillage and longevity - perfect! Not too loud, not to soft. I can wear Electric Wood to work and to nice dinners.

I share a lot of the same sentiments with this reviewer.

Anne-Sophie Behaghel and Amelie Bourgeois are the creators of this scent. They made a couple for other houses that are on my current Top 10 list, and EW is more proof of their talent. It has a gorgeous cedar accord with aromatic spices, resins, and a touch of powdery iris. To my delight longevity was all day. The cedar blend rose from my skin and clothes all afternoon, garnering compliments from several at a luncheon. Loved wearing it, and think this house's best inspiration was to get them as their noses.

Longevity is super while projection is more of a diaphanous veil.

This fragrance is absolutely gorgeous. Such a smooth wood and iris scent. The resins give this fragrance a gorgeous backbone. I think the resins are either Benzoin and or Myrhh. Last around 7 to 9 hours and projects for 2-3 hours. Please get your nose on this bad boy. I think you will be truly amazed by how good a Cedar and Iris combo can smell. I don't think this smells like a guitar at all, but, it is one hell of a gorgeous resinous men's fragrance.

This is a sophisticated and androgynous rock and roll scent. Rather than something testosterone heavy like metal.

Expected to find the sound that gives off an electric guitar in a heavy metal macro concert, but Electric Wood looks more like a ukulele with a rope touched in a 2x2m room.

Maybe instead of a ukulele, I would describe it more of a gently strumming acoustic guitar.

This fragrance has serious wow factor!!! I smell soooo many perfumes and buy so many samples, and this is that one in every one hundred where I am shocked by how unique and enjoyable it is. It's both fresh and earthy/woody, which makes it both sexy and very wearable. I feel like this is the kind of scent that gets you stopped on the street. It's very intriguing, and the cool name doesn't hurt!

There is something quite sexy about it in this sort of teasing/non-conventional way. Definitely not like how mainstream fragrances execute the sexy idea.

ionone

Apr 20, 2020
love it

I tried Electric Wood since and it is very very good.
the ones I enjoyed a lot (from good to best) :
Electric Wood
Yesterday
Atramental
Cherry Punk

the ones I disliked or didn't care for:
Hollyrose
Ten Fifteen
Blomma Cult

which is a 57 % likeability which is quite high for a brand

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
I tried Electric Wood since and it is very very good.
the ones I enjoyed a lot (from good to best) :
Electric Wood
Yesterday
Atramental
Cherry Punk

the ones I disliked or didn't care for:
Hollyrose
Ten Fifteen
Blomma Cult

which is a 57 % likeability which is quite high for a brand

What kind of vibe do you get from Ten Fifteen, Atramental, and Yesterday?

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I didn't like Electric Wood - as far as I remember it was something powdery, synthetic (not chemical, though), nothing interesting about it.
Perhaps give Sweet Leaf a try if you have an opportunity. You might find that more to your liking.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Atramental getting some hype in China.

IMG_8734.JPG

IMG_8735.JPG

I was browsing Instagram, and I noticed that the Japanese market also is quite a fan of Room 1015.

Last edited:

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
I sprayed some Electric Wood on a t-shirt to test how its drydown projects, and I can detect it while it is around 1 metre away after over 24 hours. The drydown is very alluring and captivating, especially when compared to Dior Homme 2020, so it is my choice for a slightly edgy woody fragrance. Dior Homme 2020 feels more like a dark citrus freshie by comparison now.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
I was initially only going to go for Electric Wood, Atramental, and Ten Fifteen...but since I had such a pleasant experience with Electric Wood, I'm going to get the entire discovery set to check out all the fragrances from the house before deciding which to add to my wardrobe.

samples.jpg

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
My sample order arrived and I'm testing out Hollyrose on test strip today. My first impressions is I immediately feel like this is a "feminine" fragrance from the top notes. I smell a fresh sweet rose that doesn't smell too girly, however. There is this "leather" "gasoline" chemical smell quality to it that adds some edginess to the scent. This scent definitely suits someone who has an attitude. Once the rose dissipates, this fruity + leather tanning chemical smell starts really blasting off the test strip. The freshness still lingers, almost smelling mentholated. It is not unpleasant, and it seems like the base was constructed with care. I'm curious if my interpretation of this fragrance would change when worn on my skin.

“The fragrance Hollyrose is a black leather rose and refers to teenage "groupies" who ruled over Sunset Boulevard in the 70’s. Anita Pallenberg, Bebe Buell, Pamela Des Barres were the muses and queens of the Hollywood scene, dating the likes of Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger, Alice Cooper, Robert Plant, Iggy Pop… Hangin’out in L.A, becoming the next somebody, the next fashion icon on some magazine covers, rock stars and their devotees could parade their sounds of tomorrow dressed in clothes of derision. A perfume as a tribute to these amazing women who sent most powerful rock n’ roll men to their knees”.

- Dr. Mike

There is this decadent quality to it. It smells "American", and something I would associate with Tom Ford's brand or YSL Beauté, rather than Saint Laurent by Hedi Slimane. Smells more modern 2010s than something that I imagine 70s would smell like.

maxresdefault.jpg

I can easily see it matching the YSL Beauté Black Opium commercials, starring Edie Campbell:

YSL Beauté's image of the brand is totally different than the actual brand, Saint Laurent by Hedi Slimane. It really embraces that trashy heroin rich girl image.

Here is Edie Campbell shot by Hedi for the actual brand that Hedi meticulously built:

1.jpg

3.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

10.jpg

16.jpg

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
Blomma Cult is an amazing fragrance -- has a futuristic feel to it

Electric Wood, I remember being underwhelmed by but I guess it didn't help testing it immediately after the above

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Similar to my experience with Electric Wood, Hollyrose smells less harsh when I'm wearing it on my skin than when I was testing it on a test strip. Opens with a mentholated sweet fruity jammy rose. I'm neither middle eastern, nor do I live in the Middle East, so, as a guy, I don't want to smell of roses. There's a little bit of everything thrown into this fragrance. It is fresh, fruity, sweet, floral, spicy and leathery. This is a quality of what I usually associate with mainstream releases, where there's a little something for everyone to appeal to a wide demographic. The leather smells less chemical and harsh. It doesn't smell cloying like how a lot of mainstream releases can smell to my nose. The fruity facets stay throughout the life of the fragrance with the leather giving it some backbone. It is fresh, fruity, slightly rosey, bitter, and leathery. That said, this smell doesn't really appeal to my sensibilities.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Trying Blomma Cult, and after spraying it on test strip, the fragrance really lingered in the air. It is sweet and has this pseudo-mystical smell to it. I wonder if I'm being influenced by the marketing, but in the air, I definitely get a slight "new age" smell. When I smell the test strip, I get this fizzy sweetness that almost feels like soda made from sugar, vanilla, roots, bark, and spices. Maybe root beer from an alternate universe would smell like this. As it dries down, it gets more earthy and hay-like. As the sweetness starts receding back, it feels more "animalic". Men's fragrances are trending to be sweeter and sweeter so it does smell unisex. There are facets in Blomma Cult that remind me of some fragrances from the Chanel Les Exclusifs line and Egoiste. It smells younger and less dated, but I understand why many say this smells like a grandma fragrance. This smells like it would appeal more to the "niche snob" demographic than Hollyrose. At the same time it also smells like what I imagine Parfums de Marly would release. Overall not an image I want to associate with, but I understand its appeal. I'm not interested in wearing this on skin.

I think it would match a young rich girl wanting to smell earthy and "free-spirited" without committing to being a full on hippie:

how-to-be-a-modern-hippie.jpg

Hippie-Hairstyles-7.jpg

pretty-hippy.jpg

Something about the whole concept of this fragrance smells pretentious, affected, and insincere.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
For my first impressions off test strip, Atramental opens very fresh, industrial, gasoline, inky, salty, spicy, and animalic/leathery. I notice the cardamom that is also in La Nuit de l'Homme, but less sweet. It smells simultaneously clean and unclean. I can imagine Comme des Garçons releasing something like this. There is a feeling of arrogance and attitude to this fragrance. The individual wearing this fragrance doesn't care about wanting to wear something that is pleasing to others. Maybe because it smells unusual, there is this addicting component to it that makes me want to sniff it again often. It smells "modern" and "high resolution". It feels easy to isolate individual notes, and they feel punchy and illuminated. My sample of Cuiron seems to be in a similar genre but that one smells more "low resolution".

Atramental:
Anatomie_Table_AST_10-700_Logo.jpg

Cuiron:
ba84d34a4390bddacd80728501eef875.jpg

I'm curious how my thoughts will change when I wear this fragrance on skin.

I think Atramental matches the vibe of these guys in this YSL Beauté ad for Black Opium:

Nice minimalistic and very clean silhouette. Slim, tailored, clean, minimalistic. Black leather jacket + plain t-shirt + black skinny jeans + black sneakers. They listen to EDM instead of rock and roll.

unknown.png

unknown.png

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
I haven't sampled any of them yet but they do look interesting.
You should definitely try Sweet Leaf (their newest) if you have a chance. It's IMO the most unique of all their releases, all of which I have. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. :smiley:

Last edited:

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Wearing Atramental on skin now and I'm surprised and not surprised that I like it a lot. There is a surprising subdued sweetness that seems to come wth the cardamom. Not sugared, but pleasant. The more animalic facets provide texture and interest to the fragrance. I'm a little addicted to this. I think this is another one from their brand that I will add to my collection. There is something about it that also reminds me of Electric Wood as Atramental continues to dry down, I think they may share similar spices and woods somewhere, so much so that this almost feels like a flanker of Electric Wood. Makes sense since they were created by the same perfumer, Anne-Sophie Behaghel, at around the same time. Quite unisex. This is what I wished Bvlgari Black would have smelled like, rather than the sweet powdery drydown that I'm not the biggest fan of.

It would suit this version of Angelina Jolie:

cc29a713978f126a64cc2b866908c53e.jpg

9961d8630d6bcfe2015a8d1d8a709d95.jpg

d23fb9f5e8cf6bc509be9c0ea514d04cb3-07-elle-02.w710.jpg

b4764b7b5d788cc73ba46779b4ecd4383bcd209b.jpg

This is what Edie Campbell should have smelled like in the Black Opium ad. This is a lot more polarizing than Hollyrose for sure. I can imagine it contains components that are also found in cigarettes, but it doesn't smell like cigarette smoke which is done beautifully in Celine's Nightclubbing. It feels more tar-like than smoke-like. The freshness feels mentholated and reminds me of facets of the freshness from Hollywood, made by Jerome Epinette. This tells me that Dr. Mike, the creative director, really has a strong vision and consistency in his direction. Whether you enjoy this style or not, this isn't a brand that is pushing fragrances just to make a quick buck. There is this roughness to the woody aromachemical used here that pops up as the opening fades. It can be a bit grating and annoying. Parts of the opening pop back up and the annoying woody facets recede over time. This is kind of interesting how things are developing.

It makes sense why Dr. Mike wanted dark EDM to represent the sound of Atramental: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2okrAZSrDQDTxMpCa54YPp

unknown.png

Last edited:

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Atramental really fits into Saint Laurent by Anthony Vaccarello more than Saint Laurent by Hedi Slimane. After Hedi left the brand, Anthony made it more mainstream, modern, and EDM instead of rock and roll. This campaign under Anthony fits nicely with Atramental:

However, these looks under Hedi's reign can also fit this fragrance:

8dfc161d4fc81de29f199feed8ec5000.jpg

_YVS0016.1366x2048.JPG

_YVS0052.1366x2048.JPG

Atramental has an okay drydown that doesn't feel annoying to me. The early phases really shines in this fragrance, while the drydown pales in comparison. The wood-forward drydown that's similar to facets of Electric Wood's drydown helps lean the fragrance back into the more rock and roll territory and less modern EDM. I'm a little disappointed it isn't a 100% instant love for me, however my gut feeling says the more I wear it, the more I will fall in love with it. For my own styling purposes, I would slot both Atramental and Electric Wood into the category of fragrances I wear when I want to project an edgy feeling, so there is a slight overlap and redundancy between these two. Atramental emphasizes a slightly more colder and harsher feeling suiting all black looks, while Electric Wood emphasizes a slightly warmer and more alluring feeling.

In the late drydown, when smelling it on my t-shirt the next day, I get this watery sensation which is very interesting. The woodiness has receded a bit to the background and isn't as prominent, but it is still there without being offensive. I understand why this was awarded the mNPA best independent niche award in 2020.

I smelled the test strip, it has been around 36 hours since I sprayed it, and now it is all just mainly Iso E Super.

Last edited:

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
From the official website:

Atramental (2015) - Anne-Sophia Behaghel
Blomma Cult (2015) - Anne-Sophia Behaghel and Amélie Bourgeois
Electric Wood (2015) - Anne-Sophia Behaghel
Yesterday (2017) - Amélie Bourgeois

Hollyrose (2017) - Jérôme Epinette
Ten Fifteen (2019) - Jérôme Epinette
Cherry Punk (2020) - Jérôme Epinette

Sweet Leaf (2021) - Serge De Oliveira

So it seems like the brand changes perfumers every few releases. Starting from now, I'll try to sample chronologically.

Testing Yesterday today on test strip. I get a similar subtle sweet cardamom in it, similar to Atramental. Makes me wonder how accurate the listing of the perfumer is on the actual website really is. Perhaps both Anne-Sophia Behaghel and Amélie Bourgeois collaborated a lot. I also get a subtle shaving foam smell with a metallic edge and a little fruitiness. It fits the brand's straight forward narrative. Reminds me of facets of Fierce and Montblanc Legend. That said, if I was picking from that genre, I would choose Yesterday over the other two. There is a bit more finesse. It is recognizable as something very mainstream but done slightly better. Feels like a coming-of-age type of fragrance that is executed well. It feels youthful "preppy" with a slight edge to it. The more I'm smelling it, the more I enjoy it.

Reminds me of these looks:

1607585774961.png

1607585698290-.png

HEDIS_SLIMANE_DIARY_78.jpg

72650597_2299466087033029_2203224763677436496_n.jpg

photo_2019-09-16_232.jpeg

82495541_166030448078319_552156611521119992_n.jpg

75595219_182046586276937_2797990813374556236_n.jpg_nc_htscontent-mia3-1.cdninstagram.com_nc_cat105oh.jpg

131547305_468543404548431_4972574215544596200_n.jpg

84145645_638759233600437_6412819404221166280_n.jpg

For my own style, I would slot Yesterday into the Fresh category of my wardrobe. Although it doesn't exactly smell like anything else in my Fresh category, it is a bit redundant when I already have Bleu de Chanel, which can serve a similar function to Yesterday. I do think Yesterday doesn't lean as "heavy" or "serious" as Bleu de Chanel and projects a more youthful insouciance. It doesn't try as hard as Bleu de Chanel to be "sexy". I'll have to wear it on skin to see if I enjoy wearing it enough to add it to my wardrobe.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
On skin, I get this citrusy, minty, slight fruitiness, and clean laundry freshness in the opening that reminds me of the opening of Eros, but not as sweet and has a cardamom touch, similar to Atramental. The opening is quite pleasant, and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. It is almost a bit fizzy, and smells like soda which reminds me of the opening of Blomma Cult. It might have just won me over just like that. Although I have other freshies in my wardrobe, this one is delicious enough to warrant me to add it to my collection already. This is almost like everything I wanted Eros to be, but Eros was a bit too sweet and had that disgusting sludge of a drydown.

main-qimg-f5e8f23d0dd22deddb368c7d2c34f5dd-mzj

This scent is inspired by a photo of the Beatles shaving in a bathroom. I'm not a fan of how the Beatles look, except for Stuart Sutcliffe. It is hard for me to have him wear Yesterday. I guess it makes sense for a boy band, in any era, to literally smell like this, but Celine's Parade is a more "artistic" option to suit someone looking elegant like this. That said, Room 1015 is quite literal, so I won't fault Yesterday for being so literal.

The perfume YESTERDAY is built around a fern accord revisited in a modern way. Think YES TODAY! A tribute to the unique spirit of musicians, being kids and grown-ups at the same time, walking on the thin line between dream and reality, teenage years and adult world. Now, Remember: We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing!

Dr. Mike

The fragrances loses some youthfulness as the soda facets recedes into the background, but it is still young at heart. It becomes powdery, sweet, slightly spiced, fresh, slightly warm, which is reminiscent of many other mainstream masculine fragrances. A lot of women on scent bird have compared this to Fierce and generic men's "cologne", and I totally get it. Despite being inspired from other masculine mainstream fragrances, I feel like it is able to set itself apart enough to not feel entirely derivative. The cardamom is a nice touch for sure. The drydown also is pleasant enough to not be annoying to me, unlike many mainstream masculine fragrances that I can't bear wearing. It straddles the line between youthfulness and elegance.

Last edited:

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Testing Ten Fifteen on paper strip and immediately I get this very familiar sugary sweet vanillic fresh creamy opening that I have come across from mainstream masculine fragrances before, maybe like Le Male or something from the Prada Luna Rossa line (that said, it has been over a year since I smelled Le Male or the Prada line so my memory might be off). However there is something more to it that makes it more interesting than what I have smelled before. I'm really noticing a theme where Room 1015 is about taking what's available on the market and giving it their own twist which often makes the idea much more palatable for me. I've never been partial to this smell profile before, so I'm not immediately in love with Ten Fifteen, I'm actually a bit confused to be honest.

“A woody and wild fragrance as a tribute to the 1970's Rock N' Roll era. I tried to imagine what could be the scent of this hotel room in which so many things have happened! A burned sandalwood with fresh notes of mandarin and violet was a perfect match for a rebel touch. Rock On..."

Dr. Mike

Just based on first impressions, this fragrance doesn't seem to match the inspiration behind it. I've never smelled saffron before, but based on the reports on how it can smell like dentist latex gloves, I definitely can detect it in Ten Fifteen. Saffron's rubbery facets smells quite pleasant. Baccarat Rouge 540, released 2 years prior, also features saffron, and I wonder if this inspired Dr. Mike to also have a saffron fragrance in his line. I can't help but feels this smells a bit gimmicky as a result. If I was testing this in a store, I would have probably next'd by now.

It really is anything but edgy and rock and roll. There's a little of Loewe 001 Man in this as well, which all leads me to feel like this is Room 1015 following in the foot steps of Hedi's Dior Homme. To me, this is a lot easier to wear that Dior Homme. Dior Homme feels a bit too decadent for my every day wear, however nothing can beat Dior Homme in its finesse and execution.

Trying it on skin and I get the citrus in the opening. The fruitiness helps give the fragrance some lift and prevent the creamy vanilla sweetness from dragging this fragrance too much into a sludge. The citrus dissipates quickly and the fragrance turns to a sweet sludge. There's also a lot of Iso E Super in here. This scent profile reminds me a bit of Zadig & Voltaire's This is Him.

If this is a rebel, it is a romantic sensitive rebel. He enjoys drinking coffees in cafes.

o.88622.jpg

zadig-home.jpg

11-REVEAL.jpg

I don't hate this concept at all, and I think it has its place for sure. I'm unsure if I would want this if I already have Dior Homme.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
The drydown is mostly Iso E Super and gentle caramel vanilla sweetness. Dr. Mike's approach to his dry downs are quite nice and a lot better than mainstream releases. However during the middle, the sweetness was a bit much for my sensibilities. I enjoy sweet vanilla fragrances as well, but something about Ten Fifteen felt more heavy than I like. Hedi Slimane's approach to vanilla is more my cup of tea. Fahrenheit 32 is arguably sweeter but it feels better balanced with the bitter and fresh facets. Eau Noire and Black Tie's syrupy vanilla doesn't feel overwhelming, surprisingly. If I'm wanting a cozy seductive sweet fragrance, I rather wear Hedi's offerings than Ten Fifteen.

I detect more of a leather component on the drydown of the test strip. I'll revisit Ten Fifteen a couple of times later to see if it will grow on me.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
While spraying Cherry Punk onto my test strip, I immediately get a feeling that it is a "feminine" fragrance because of its fruity sweetness. The cherry isn't bad, and it doesn't smell exactly like cough medicine. It has a leathery background to give the cherry some edge. The "structure" of this fragrance definitely reminds me of Hollyrose, also by Jérôme Epinette. I haven't smelled Lost Cherry, but many reviewers seem to feel Cherry Punk shares similarities. It would be more accurate that Lost Cherry reminds people of Cherry Punk since Cherry Punk was launched before Lost Cherry. I again smell a mentholated freshness that is also in Hollyrose.

If this is punk, this is mainstream top of the charts punk:

She's my cherry pie
Cool drink of water such a sweet surprise
Tastes so good makes a grown man cry
Sweet Cherry Pie

She wanted me to feed her
So I mixed up the batter
And she licked the beater
Sweet Cherry Pie

On skin, the cherry pops up in the beginning. It smells a bit nostalgic, but I can't exactly place what this sweet cherry reminds me. There is this powdery almond smell that plays with the fruity sweetness. This cherry quickly recedes into the background. I get this spicy smoky leather that starts dominating the fragrance. It feels gritty. I think the naming and how literal this fragrance is makes a lot of sense. Cherry + punk. I'm not surprised that this isn't what I'm interested in. So far all of Dr. Mike's fragrances with Jérôme Epinette are not for me. Smelling this makes me yearn for Celine's Reptile instead.

I think I would rather smell Hollyrose from a girl over Cherry Punk.

I'm looking forward to finally test Sweet Leaf later today once I shower off Cherry Punk. I'm a little bit curious for Sweet Leaf due to hednic's enthusiasm for it.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
Okay, hednic is right...Sweet Leaf does smell like a stand out from the line. It doesn't immediately remind me of anything I've smelled before and it is quite refreshing, literally and figuratively. It makes sense since Dr. Mike is tapping on a new perfumer for Sweet Leaf, Serge De Oliveira. I'm not really into the weed smell, but this smells surprisingly pleasant. I do detect that weed facet for sure. Weed just doesn't seem "cool" because it all about relaxing and chilling out. I get a feeling that this is a fresh citrus/green scent with an edge. I do detect the eucalyptus and it smells very nice. I kind of want Dr. Mike to release a cigarette smoke fragrance.

As the fresh citrus facets recede to the background, the weed smell starts really blasting through. It is still quite fresh, minty and green.

On skin, I get that fresh green minty blast then the weed facets starts being prominent. There is a smokey and lightly spiced feeling to the weed smell. Almost leathery. There is a calming sensation I get when I smell Sweet Leaf. Serge De Oliveira seems to be a strong proponent in using a lot of naturals in fragrances, and I can't help but feel like this fragrance has that natural feeling. It doesn't feel heavy. It feels cozy and edgy at the same time.

The combination of the different herbacious scents really make this a dazzling and uplifting perfume.

I quite agree with this, and I think this is what is helping me really enjoy this scent despite not really liking the idea of weed. Gives me some 90s grunge vibes:

cff1c940667c66c46177e6c69b3c1645315f8489.jpg

did-kurt-cobain-smoke-weed-hero-2.jpg

did-kurt-cobain-smoke-weed-1-2.jpg

tumblr_n6ifsrWRcO1rly3p1o4_1280.jpg

cole--a.jpg

2e12b23bec7db604b9aa6780fba3ddb6.png

407c490e3efedffb4df4aef8e3a4d4da.png

3733e23ca15038206c65d10a6ff9e474.jpg

It definitely has a place in my wardrobe, but I'm still undecided if I want to add this into it. I can see myself wearing this quite often as it suits the style of clothing that I'm into. The fact that I can really see myself wearing this often is helping it make a strong case for itself.

So far from Room 1015, these are the stand outs for me: Electric Wood, Atramental, Yesterday, and Sweet Leaf. Out of the 8 fragrances they have available, I like half of them. 50% hit rate with me. I'll have to wear the samples a couple more times to really tease out all the facets and decide which deserves to be added to my wardrobe. I was surprised that I didn't like Ten Fiften, and I am surprised that I do like Sweet Leaf and Yesterday.

imm0rtelle

Apr 2, 2021
There is something quite sensual about the drydown of Sweet Leaf, so it has won itself a place in my wardrobe. I like the fragrance from start to finish. I would slot it into my edgy category because of the cannabis smell, but very wearable. I highly doubt there will be another fragrance that will execute this aesthetic to me liking as well as Sweet Leaf does. Akro has Haze, but something about the reviews tell me it goes about it in a slightly different direction. As much as Dr. Mike gives the briefs to his perfumers, you can really tell that each of the perfumers carries with them a very distinctive style.

Atramental (2015) - Anne-Sophia Behaghel
Blomma Cult (2015) - Anne-Sophia Behaghel and Amélie Bourgeois
Electric Wood (2015) - Anne-Sophia Behaghel
Yesterday (2017) - Amélie Bourgeois
Anne-Sophia Behaghel's Atramental and Electric Wood really smell like siblings. She likes using this harsh amber wood to give the fragrances edge. Amélie Bourgeois seems have to have a flair with creating fizzy soda-like openings that are found in both Blomma Cult and Yesterday. I like 3/4 of their work upon first sample. They also did Power Ballad (2016), but for some reason Dr. Mike decided to discontinue it. Both Anne-Sophia Behaghel and Amélie Bourgeois are co-founders of Flair Paris.

Hollyrose (2017) - Jérôme Epinette
Ten Fifteen (2019) - Jérôme Epinette
Cherry Punk (2020) - Jérôme Epinette
Jérôme Epinette has this distinctive way of creating leather in both Hollyrose and Cherry Punk. They both also have this mentholated freshness to it. Ten Fifteen definitely stands out from Hollyrose and Cherry Punk. Jérôme Epinette is part of Robertet. Unfortunately these fragrances didn't resonate with me during my first sample.

Sweet Leaf (2021) - Serge De Oliveira
Serge De Oliveira also works for Robertet. He's done a few interviews talking about working with naturals and I can really feel how natural Sweet Leaf smells. Dr. Mike is launching a new fragrance in 2022, and of course Serge De Oliveira is the perfumer for it as well. They just finalized the formula recently, so I'm quite excited since I already like one work of his for the brand. Dr. Mike really seems to like to collaborate with the same perfumer(s) for a couple of releases before switching. Each perfumer brings their own flair to the house. Dr. Mike has been pretty consistently releasing one fragrance each year. There were no releases in 2018, but there were two release in 2017, so it averages out to one a year after the initial three in 2015. Not even the pandemic stopped his momentum.

Latest News