Romantic/date night scent for a man in his 40s?

Jul 17, 2016
Christmas is coming up, and year after year I struggle to find what I consider a good "date night" scent. I've got frags like Amouage Boundless, Atelier Gold Leather, Tom Ford Tobacco Oud that I've been making work for nights out and they work well, but I want to compliment them with something softer.

I've got the other genres locked down but I want to tackle this issue once and for all. My problem is many of the scents I smell feel too young for me. Makes sense, the 25-40 demographic spends the most cash in this area. But standard rec likes JPG Le Male Le Parfum, Eros Parfum, Armani Eau de Parfum, PDM Oajan, PDM Layton, and YSL La Nuit don't really work for me. They either smell too young, too sweet or in the case of La Nuit have atrocious performance. I love the smell of La Nuit but I don't want to have to pay 300 and up for a bottle of the first vintage. I tried Xerjoff Uden Overdose because I liked the first Uden well enough so I saw a good deal on a bottle of Overdose on FB and bought it. It smelled nice, sort of what I'm looking for but it didn't perform well at all on me and honestly smelled a little cheap for what I paid for it. I feel like I could get the same effect from Paloma Piccaso Minotaure or Laura Biagotti Roma uomo.
Which are great frags but cost 1/5th of what I paid for Uden. Layton is great but a little too vanilla dominant and young for my taste. If you could take Layton and up the pepper,cardamom, add some spice or cinnamon, etc. Make it a little rougher and it would be perfect.

I'm 40s looking for an appropriate date night scent. Want sweet but not too sweet, some spice to rough it up a little. It's a bit of a challenge to find a scent that matches my image and style. I'm a large man, I dress somewhat conservatively/classic Americana style. In the current cold weather it's time for tweed, moleskin, cashmere, heavy wool sweaters, etc. Most of my wardrobe is woody,spicy, incense scents that match well with my personal style, but when it comes to sweet cold weather frags I just haven't found the one yet.

I'll sample anything, my only preferences are not a pure vanilla bomb and not rose dominant. Price wise I'm open but I'd like to keep it under 400 a bottle that way I can pick up a couple by the end of the year. I'm fine with designer or niche. Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

FOXHOUND

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 14, 2022
I have a few suggestions that work well for me.

Dolce & Gabbana The One EDP
Dior Homme Original
Dior Homme Intense
Dior Homme Parfum
Prada L'Homme Intense

I also think Tom Ford Noir Extreme and Noir Extreme Parfum would work well too.

Jul 17, 2016
If you haven't tried Tuscan Leather or La Yuqawam (clone), they fit the bill. Ombre Leather is good for the less daring.
I've own TL and La Yuqawam (best clone of any fragrance I've ever encountered) but I'm a little confused, maybe I didn't articulate what I wanted clearly enough. TL is a fantastic leather scent but I wouldn't consider it romantic or a date scent, rather the opposite. On me the raspberry note isn't very prominent, so it comes across as mainly gas and leather. I absolutely love the smell and the performance is phenomenal but I don't feel romantic when I wear it.

Jul 17, 2016
I have a few suggestions that work well for me.

Dolce & Gabbana The One EDP
Dior Homme Original
Dior Homme Intense
Dior Homme Parfum
Prada L'Homme Intense

I also think Tom Ford Noir Extreme and Noir Extreme Parfum would work well too.
I've tried The One, wasn't a huge fan and it lasted two hours. I have DH original, great work scent in the spring, used to own a bottle of DH Parfum when it first came out. I'll revisit it, and DHI. I tried Prada L'homme intense, felt like a work scent.

Absolutely hate Noir Extreme, smelled like cheap ice cream on my skin. I liked regular Noir EDP, reminded me of a more unisex Shalimar.

Aug 16, 2022
I've own TL and La Yuqawam (best clone of any fragrance I've ever encountered) but I'm a little confused, maybe I didn't articulate what I wanted clearly enough. TL is a fantastic leather scent but I wouldn't consider it romantic or a date scent, rather the opposite. On me the raspberry note isn't very prominent, so it comes across as mainly gas and leather. I absolutely love the smell and the performance is phenomenal but I don't feel romantic when I wear it.
I think anosmia cuts the "gas and leather" as you put it first for me, so I'm left with a lot of raspberry. There's still Ombre which just smells like a pallet of freshly cured leather, semi-sweet without the brashness.

Another solution is Spicebomb Infrared layered with Nuit d'Issey Polaris. Infrared is half Spicebomb and half cherry pie filling; Polaris is deep dark spicy. 1 spray Polaris, 2-4 sprays Infrared.

StylinLA

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 9, 2009
Puredistance Black is killer. Not overly loud. Invites people to get closer.

Musc Ravageur very good. Though may be a bit aggressive for some tastes. I don't find the musk all that prominent, but I think it's a blind spot for me.

Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense is very sensual. Underrated. Warm. A departure from their soapy office stuff.

YSL La Nuit is quite good. It just smells really good.

Creed Royal Oud a good double duty scent. Work or fun I think.

The heck with Aventus.

Salumbre

Basenotes Junkie
Jan 26, 2022
For a date, you cannot possibly go wrong with Guerlain Heritage. It has it all: woods, spices, flowers --in fact, its combination of flower scents is very romantic IMHO.

And if you like PDM, try Herod. Tobacco and spices, elegant, lasts forever yet it does not intrude in other people's space.

Last but not least, Giorgio for Men is a cheapie that smells like a million bucks.

Diddy

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Oct 14, 2015
My first thought when I read ‘spicy’ was vintage Chanel Egoiste. It was my SOTD today (and likely why it’s fresh in my mind), and I even got a nice compliment on it from a young female coworker.

Last night, my wife was smitten with Initio’s Oud for Happiness.

I’d happily wear either of those if I was looking for something with a bit of spice on a date during fall/winter. But I’d typically go for something with some freshness or clean going on for a date. The Initio will be a fresher take on the spice part than the Chanel but has a bit more oomph in the base.

Best wishes!

Edit: As a PS, I’ll throw in a wild card… vintage Bourcheron Jaipur

Mr. dB

Jul 12, 2022
I'm in my mid 40's and from my collection I'd wear:

If I wanted something more come hither I'd pick D&G The One EDP (lots sprays to my chest and arm hair help it last), Varvatos Vintage, or Margiela By the Fireplace.

If I wanted something clean and inoffensive I'd choose Margiela At the Barber's or Prada L'homme Water Splash (or any other L'homme flanker), or Acqua di Parma Colonia Club for warm weather.

If I was doing a more formal thing I'd reach for Creed Viking (clean/fresh) Costume National Homme (crisp/spicy) Nicolai New York Intense (old school/classy) or Penhaligon's Sartorial (rich/clean/put together).

ToughCool

More Cool Than Tough
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
I’m an outlier on this one around here but I love

Gucci Guilty EDP

Great rose note and sweetness but comes off as really sexy and I’d think perfect for a 40s date. I’ve been wearing

Also think HdP 1899 would be great. Spicy and sweet and great fir cooler weather

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2016
Thank you for all the suggestions so far!

Guerlain Heritage: Great fragrance but feels more formal than romantic to me. Maybe there's a difference between the EDT and EDP? I tried the EDP

PdN New York Intense: Again, remarkable frag. Wore it many years ago when it was just New York and Intense hadn't come out yet. I love it, it feels more formal than seductive thought.

Gucci EDP: I struggle with rose but I'll try a sample.

Hdp 1899: Interesting timing on the rec. I just sold a bottle of Rehab by Initio Parfums because it didn't last on my skin. I know 1899 shared that Spicebomb DNA, I'll give it a shot.

Issue Polaris: I'm a big fan of Issey, the house has a lot of sleeper hits. Noir Argent is one of the scents I've been using for nights out, I'll check Polaris out.

Musc Ravageur: Great idea, I wore a sample of a fragrance by Eris Parfums called Night flower which was pretty much Musc Ravageur and a little more suede and floral notes.

Jul 17, 2016
According to alleged experts in dark parts of the internet, the scent to wear for a hopefully romantic date is........something her dad used to wear.
Cheers,
Renato
Lol I'm too old to believe in that sort of nonsense. Also that information takes on a very creepy tone since I'm a father myself.

Fortunately I'm not trying to get a girlfriend, I've been with a saint of a woman for six years. I'm just trying to find something better to wear when we go on dates.

PrinceRF

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 3, 2020
Give Spicebomb Infrared a try. It's not for everyone, and although it sounds like a young guy's scent, I think it would be perfect for your situation. I was pleasantly surprised with it. Just don't go heavy on the trigger.

ToughCool

More Cool Than Tough
Basenotes Plus
Jun 12, 2008
Thank you for all the suggestions so far!

Guerlain Heritage: Great fragrance but feels more formal than romantic to me. Maybe there's a difference between the EDT and EDP? I tried the EDP

PdN New York Intense: Again, remarkable frag. Wore it many years ago when it was just New York and Intense hadn't come out yet. I love it, it feels more formal than seductive thought.

Gucci EDP: I struggle with rose but I'll try a sample.

Hdp 1899: Interesting timing on the rec. I just sold a bottle of Rehab by Initio Parfums because it didn't last on my skin. I know 1899 shared that Spicebomb DNA, I'll give it a shot.

Issue Polaris: I'm a big fan of Issey, the house has a lot of sleeper hits. Noir Argent is one of the scents I've been using for nights out, I'll check Polaris out.

Musc Ravageur: Great idea, I wore a sample of a fragrance by Eris Parfums called Night flower which was pretty much Musc Ravageur and a little more suede and floral notes.

I also struggle with rose/florals but I recommended the Gucci because it’s so smooth and for me it doesn’t come off as a in your face rose despite being the star. I’m 52 and love it. My daughters picked it out years back.

HdP 1899 does have a Spicebomb DNA but to me it’s so much smoother and lasts all day on me,

Good luck!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2022
I don't personally think much of Polaris by itself; it's dry enough to absorb a lake, and lacks any semblance of brightness or sparkle. What it does for me is lay a great foundation for something like Spicebomb Infrared as mentioned, which is on the sweet and dainty side.

Jan 20, 2019
Jeroboam Vespero

Dolce and Gabbana Velvet Incenso

Giorgio Beverly Hills VIP Special Reserve

Vermeil for Men

Trussardi Uomo vintage

Charles Jourdain Un Homme

Fzotic Ummagumma

Tommy Bahama for Men (discontinued)

Versace The Dreamer (vintage)

Cartier Santos Concentree (vintage)

Mugler Pure Havane or Samba Skin Man

Le Labo Patchouli 24

Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui (vintage)

Cacharel Nemo

Dolce and Gabanna Pour Homme (vintage)

Krizia Moods Uomo

YSL Jazz Prestige or Jazz (vintage)

Tiziana Terenzi Laudano Nero

Phaedon Tabac Rouge

L'Occitane en Provence L'Occitane

L'Occitane en Provence Eau De Beaux

Amouage Jubilation XXV for Men

Idole de Lubin

Givenchy Gentleman (vintage)

Lalique Encre Noire Sport

Lalique Encre Noire a L'Extreme

Dior Homme (pre-2020 change)

Ralph Lauren Chaps

Mancera Cedrat Boise (screw top)

Burberry London for Men (vintage)

Burberry for Men (vintage)

Hugo Boss (pre-"Number One")

Mugler A*Men

7 Loewe Anonimo

Aug 26, 2022
Tauer Sundowner especially if you like your tobaccos. It’s way more serious and masculine than Boundless but it’s also not as spicy or sweet.

Sundowner feels so confident and classy but it’s still warm enough to be playful if you want to wear jeans and t-shirt. It’s a strong tobacco note but not so much pipe tobacco. I’d say it’s more the aroma of a box filled pouches of unsweetened loose leaf tobacco verse the heavy punch of raw pipe tobacco that some fragrances seem to carry.

I think the lack of sweetness (or really just the right touch) provides a more classy, refined touch. Especially if you wear all black or dark neutral tones.

baklavaRuzh

Sep 3, 2022
In addition to the suggestions above, any of the Murano Exclusives collection by the merchant of Venice. If you don't want rose or vanilla, perhaps stay away from rococo or Fenicia even if they are my favorites from that collection and not rose or vanilla bombs.

Liberty, craquele or arabesque are really good options. Long lasting and good projection, complex but also cozy.

Jul 17, 2016
What are her preferences?
She's not a huge fan of aquatics on me, which is fine because I'm not big on the genre either. She's not as into frags as I am, what I'll get out of her is "Oh that smells good" or "That smells like you", she doesn't say exactly what she likes about them. She's complimented me on Terre D Hermes Parfum, Affinessence Musc Ambergris, Kouros, Habit Rouge EdP, CdG Black, Les Indemodables Escale en Indonesie, AdG Profumo (not really an aquatic so it works on me), Kiehls Musk ,Loewe 7 Plata
, and Amouage Boundless.

dogtoe

Aug 5, 2016
I’m in my mid sixties and do date nights with my wife regularly. Since we’re usually out with other people, I go for more discrete scents. I like the following:
- Roja Elysium Parfume Cologne
- Roja Creation-E Parfume Cologne
- Xerjoff Naxos (sprayed lightly)
- Lutens Chergui

Ones she’s complemented recently:
- Invictus Victory
- Moresque Soul Batik (just today)

My Christmas scent will be Tom Ford Ebene Fume

Jul 17, 2016
TF Oud Wood
Kilian Sacred Wood
Initio Rehab
PDM Haltane
Funny you should mention Rehab, I just sold my bottle because the performance wasn't good on me. Absolutely love the smell, going to try 1899 next and see if that works better, if not I'm going to have to find an original formula bottle of Spicebomb.

Pippin06

always learning--often laughing
Feb 8, 2017
Also suggesting aramis as a date night fragrance. Seems to be a love it or hate it perfume--but IMO, worth the risk as it is so inexpensive these days. Many find it dated, but there is no reason a man in his 40's--and younger--can't rock this classic, masculine fragrance. Personally, find it the sexiest fragrance for men out there--this coming from a man who is not a big believer in perfumes being sexy. If you do try it--spray very light--1 is enough.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...