Roja Dove Sampling

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
Someone could get a bunch of vintage Heritage for the price of Danger Homme, so I would have to second the no vote if someone were asking me about buying it.

And this is what it comes down to for me as well. Given the harshness of the woods in Danger (they really are kind of itchy and scratchy, could this be the unsettling thing?), I even think modern Heritage is a bit better than Danger. Vintage is a bargain, if you ask me!

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
And this is what it comes down to for me as well. Given the harshness of the woods in Danger (they really are kind of itchy and scratchy, could this be the unsettling thing?), I even think modern Heritage is a bit better than Danger. Vintage is a bargain, if you ask me!

The itchy/scratchy woods are a problem, and the Roja Dove men's fragrances seem to feature them. That is, of course, unsettling, but I think there's an effect even in original Heritage that may strike me as having gone too far. Heritage was a 1992 release, I believe, and Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree had come out not long before, in 1989. Heritage, to my nose, is sort of an over-the-top niche-smelling fragrance inspired by Pour Monsieur Concentree. Interesting and ambitious, but not quite right for me.

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
Ah, I see! Just not one that works for you. I figure those kind of scents serve their purpose too; they leave our noses, skin and wallets free for something that does work.:wink:

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Mischief Femme

This skipped all the promised citrus top notes on me, and went straight into a wall of jasmine and orange blossom. Big, big white flowers. I think the Dior that Bavard might have been reminded of is Diorissimo, even though that's a wall of muguet, the head-banging attack style is similar. Both the jasmine and the orange blossom are more sweet than indolic. As it wore on, I did get some of the fruit Bavard mentioned (maybe peach), but it didn't seem especially rotten to me. It was getting headachey for me, so I didn't wait for the drydown.

It's hard for me to judge this style of scent because I don't like loud white florals, but I have to admit it seems very well constructed, with good materials, so I couldn't in fairness give it a negative just because it doesn't suit my taste. Fans of Fracas and Diorissimo might be enchanted with it.

After my head clears I'll try the Vetiver Homme, which seems a little more promising sniffed from the vial.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Mischief Femme . . . Fans of Fracas and Diorissimo might be enchanted with it.

Things like Fracas and Diorissimo grow on me. I'm much more into white flowers than synthetic woods. White flowers are loud and interesting, and can have a vintage smell without being in violation of IFRA or EU restrictions.

I think you'll get on better with Vetiver Homme.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
I think you'll get on better with Vetiver Homme.

How right you were!

Vetiver Homme

Oh, this is quite nice. Opens like a sanded-down version of Guerlain Vetiver, a little more sweet and a lot less sharp and soapy. My general taste in vetivers runs toward the dark, smoky stuff (like MPG's Route du Vetiver), but this is a delectable presentation of a crowd-pleasing vetiver. The vetiver note itself here is soft and grassy, no smoke or leather in sight.

I especially like the way the citruses are handled. They're creamy, rather than sour or sharp. I had to look up "Litsea cubeba", and it seems to be the lemon-scented leaves of a shrub, used to make an essential oil called "May Chang". I'd like to smell that some time.

This is a much more complex scent than most vetivers; in the heart there's some light florals (a teasing stroke of jasmine) and galbanum that sort of thickens everything, and the drydown brings warm spices and woods (I really like spices with vetiver), making the base a little more masculine than the rest of it, but generally I find this wearable as a women's scent, too. It has lots more texture than most vetiver fragrances.

On the whole I enjoy this from top to bottom. But... $6+ per milliliter for the EDP? And I understand there's an even pricier extrait version? I can't help doing the math: I could get 200mls of Chanel's Sycomore for the price of 50mls of this. But you can bet I'll give this one another wearing before I ship the samples away.

Edit: I had to add a little epilogue here. After 6 hours, when I thought Vetiver Homme had faded away, it suddenly made a huge comeback and started projecting like crazy, for no good reason like an increase in temperature or sweat. The only other perfume that's ever done that on me was Theorema.

Further edit: It's been 14 hours since I put this on, and I can still clearly smell it on my arm. I didn't even think it was possible for a vetiver scent to last that long. And it still smells like vetiver, not just base notes.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I'm glad there was a winner in your set, just for the joy of getting in a couple (or more) nice wearings. You might like Enslaved, and maybe even Fetish. This is fun!

Breaking out the cards:

Danger Homme - The cards are doing a good job of keeping some top notes, I think. They're stored in a plastic holder. It's nifty. This one is interesting on the card, but it flickers between Heritage (70% of the time) and Windex (30% of the time). From the card, it smells challenging.

Mischief Femme - I still like it the same. It smells perfectly wearable to me.

Vetiver Homme - On paper, or at least smelling it this time, it's more in the direction of a darker (to me) vetiver such as Dior or Le Labo. I don't really like that style, and the Roja Dove barely goes there, so I like it more than those two. It's one of the better vetiver perfumes I've smelled.

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
Well, now I know where the horrible, oppressive rancid butter/polysantol-like note I've been getting wafts of has been coming from. And I see what Danger Homme has in common with Danger Femme. Both are dupes of better scents, both by Guerlain.

Dear God, why would anyone in this day and age try to replicate Samsara? The lack of Mysore sandalwood is glaring. This thing is rough.

It's white floral like Samsara (heavy on ylang), spicy (clove) like Samsara and loud like Samsara. But this, sir, is no Samsara. It smells so close, just as obvious as Danger Homme's relation to Heritage. Unlike Danger Homme, I find this FAR inferior to its inspiration. The flowers and spices are right. The woods are just all sorts of wrong. The sandalwood chems used here are obnoxious. Samsara uses synthetics too but somehow does it with more finesse.

Not only is it nowhere near as good as vintage Samsara, it isn't even as good as the current. No way would I recommend this when Guerlain is already doing it so much better. Danger is in danger of being scrubbed.:bath:

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Danger is in danger of being scrubbed.:bath:

That's a handy mnemonic!

The "woods" they're using in Danger Femme are within my tolerance. I only know one version of Samsara, an old edt or edp, I can't remember which it was. Now that you mention it, I do see a connection.

I love the conviction in your smelling notes, such a nice read!

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
I love the conviction in your smelling notes, such a nice read!

It is actually nice to have a reason to get worked up!:grin: For those like us who smell lots of things, most are going to be firmly in middling to "meh" territory. Strong reactions, both positive and negative, are just more fun! For reading, that is. Can't say that I smell fun right now, lol!

Just went back a page, love the card holder! Great for sample passes and in-store sniffs both. This is something I need in my life; thanks for sharing!:thumbsup:

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
For those like us who smell lots of things, most are going to be firmly in middling to "meh" territory. Strong reactions, both positive and negative, are just more fun! For reading, that is.

And you learn more from them, too. Especially the bad ones.

"I knew Samsara. Samsara was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Samsara."

(with apologies to everyone under 45)

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
^:grin: I'm 45 on the nose, as of last November -and yes that little exchange was on my mind this morning! Senator Danger has officially been recalled via the scrub-a-dub process.

I did stick it out a little bit with Danger; I think I find it closest to current Samsara EdP. Still, Guerlain executes the idea better for my nose, even in modern times. Samsara is the sort of scent that if you're going to imitate it, you better nail it (the vintage incarnation, otherwise there's no point in a clone at all). It's so singular, and in its day, I'm guessing a pretty expensive formula. Danger did give me a renewed respect for current Samsara. It surely would have been just as easy to ax it as it was to work around the Mysore restrictions. But thankfully, they made it work, and did a great job of it. Happy things like this help me ignore some of Guerlain's (LVMH, really) more disappointing nonsense.

Cook.bot

Common Lackey
Basenotes Plus
Jan 6, 2012
Fetish Pour Homme - Roja Dove

This scent triggered a minor psychological crisis in me. Much ruminating ensued.

TL;DR -- Very beautiful fragrance, but wear only if you would also be comfortable wearing one of these outfits. In this setting.

View attachment 102596

I was so intrigued by this scent that I wore it twice over three days. The first time, alerted by the nuclear blast coming from the nozzle, I didn't even spray it; I just dabbed on a tiny smear using the sprayer tube as a wand. And it still lasted 18 hours on me.

The second time, I decided to do a comparison test, since every single BN review of Fetish mentions Bel Ami, Moschino Pour Homme, and Puredistance M (the latter also a Roja Dove creation, which predated Fetish by only two years). As it happens, I have samples of all these scents, thanks to the vintage mavens of Basenotes.

There's no question that Fetish and M are very, very close relations. Thick saddle-type leather, pronounced animalia bordering on sweaty, dark smoky spices (cinnamon, cardamom), a bold citrus opening and a musky resinous ending. Why do I much prefer M to Fetish? Because its citrus is far more buoyant and endures far longer, and the vetiver in its later stages is more grassy, less smoky, than in Fetish. M is a crisp oxford shirt and Italian loafers; Fetish is a floor-length velvet cloak and monogrammed slippers.

And why do I prefer both Bel Ami and Moschino Pour Homme to Fetish and M? Because they both strip all the stodgy, ponderous elements out of those same accords and render them as something that could be worn by a vivacious human being, and not just by some overstuffed pedant vegetating in his wingback chair while butlers cater to his every whim. Bel Ami and Moschino take M's oxford shirt and untuck it.

All of which led me to spend 48 hours wondering about why these big, opulent, ultra-elegant scents annoy me so much. Most of the Amouages, many Ormonde Jaynes (especially Black Gold), several Lutens, even a few feminine Guerlains... they smell to me like their price is as much on display as their odor. Could it be some reverse-snobbism related to my blue collar family background? Maybe. Is it some protective reaction to keep me from desiring something so far beyond my financial means? Also maybe. But mostly I think it's because, as I mentioned in a sample pass a while ago, I lack some aspirational gene that would make me want to emulate or admire the social class at whom these products are aimed.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Riveting! So you have no interest in, say, powdered wigs?

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
Well... maybe if it was paired with a mariniere shirt....

Obviously, the only way to pull off a powdered wig.:wink:

Enjoying your reviews, Cook.bot! I did not take the TL;DR option on Fetish and I'm glad. No it doesn't sound like it's for me but a great read all the same. I've had very little luck with Amouage myself; have only genuinely liked wearing a couple of them. Not being an Amouage fan is lonely around here but now I know I'm not totally alone. Pricing aside, I do consider Guerlain to be about as far into real opulence as I can go and still feel like myself. But then, Guerlain was always a "bad girl" house to my female elders. No wonder I was intrigued.:evil:

Reckless Femme-bright orange, sunny citruses and syrupy peach*, jasmine and orange blossom over lightly spiced marshmallows. Very sweet, dense and gourmand, something like Guerlain's Mon Precieux Nectar. And yet again, I'd prefer the Guerlain; its composition is smoother-wearing for me. There's something I don't care for in Reckless' base, something like lightly spoilt milk. Also reminds me of By Kilian's general style regarding white florals and gourmands. The jasmine is outstanding-natural in feel, sweet but with plenty of lift. I can appreciate the quality of florals here, certainly. But wow, is this nothing special. Bavard said "mall scent" and I agree. I can and do wear some mall scents but this one is a bit more loud and sweet than I usually go for, so not really one to suit my personal tastes. I would definitely recommend a sniff to Kilian fans though, as well as jasmine fiends who enjoy sweet gourmands.

* "Syrupy peach" is not an insult coming from me. I LOVE syrupy peach but realize some do not. Those folks will want to avoid this one!

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
I haven’t smelled any of these as I have no interest in Roja Dove currently, although I did years ago. I still own Lilac extrait, Unspoken and Enslaved. Sold off Aoud as I found it phenomenally boring. The Unspoken and Enslaved were gifts. They are big dense florals, something I don’t wear too often any more, but I can still appreciate them when I’m in the mood. I do love Amouage and Guerlain, not much of a Chanel fan. I think I might enjoy Reckless, but would never buy it.

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
I agree. Because of the pricing, this one is somewhat comical.

I'm overwhelmed at how underwhelming it is. Pretty, yes- but I think there are prettier scents in this style.

Lilac does sound like something special to me; do you love it, caz?

Guerlain is my most-owned house and it really does seem logical that Amouage should appeal to Guerlainophiles. It must be true for many but I've never been able to wear Amouage with the ease I have with Guerlain. Guerlain just feels more relaxed to me, somehow. I can't deny Amouage's quality though and think their feminine Dia is one of the finest floral aldehydes in production. Sometimes I do think I "need" that one, even if I didn't wear it often (I don't. I don't need any perfume).:grin:

cazaubon

Basenotes Plus
Jan 1, 2005
No, I don’t love the Lilac - it seems a bit too sharp and green. I have never yet found a perfume that makes me swoon the way the real thing does.

Oh, and even though I enjoy Amouage a lot, I definitely find Guerlain an easier wear.

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
Thank you, caz! I sort of regretted not looking into Lilac at the time, but not so much now. I do find most lilac perfumes either too green or too soapy to be realistic. I don't always need or want realism but find it a must for lilacs. You took the words out of my mouth; I think I'm finally accepting that only real lilacs will do for my nose. Same goes for peonies.:sad:

Nothing comes close to vintage Samsara. Guerlain pulled that one right out of a fairy tale.

If this were a legal document, I'd sign it! Lovely way to put it!:thumbsup:

Not to go too far off topic but Samsara owners, take note- we now have parfum, EdP and EdT listed separately in the directory! Now we can take Samsara obsession to new heights!

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Thank you, caz! I sort of regretted not looking into Lilac at the time, but not so much now. I do find most lilac perfumes either too green or too soapy to be realistic. You took the words out of my mouth; I think I'm finally accepting that only real lilacs will do for my nose. Same goes for peonies.:sad:

If this were a legal document, I'd sign it! Lovely way to put it!:thumbsup:

Not to go too far off topic but Samsara owners, take note- we now have parfum, EdP and EdT listed separately in the directory! Now we can take Samsara obsession to new heights!

Discussing Samsara couldn't be more on topic. I liked Danger Femme, and I had a bottle of Samsara in the house once upon a time, a vintage edt or edp, I can't remember, and I didn't like it that much. But now I'm persuaded to give it another try, maybe one of the 93-ml bottles. I like those. Are the 93-ml bottles still in production? It would be lucky if they were all delicious vintage. Samsara in a 93-ml seems vintage to me - not something I see often.

Also, now that I have some of this soap, I'm reminded of Samsara.

View attachment 102792

Update: Something like this! I see there are some more recent 93-ml bottles of Samsara. It's good to have the box in the picture. The black square on the box gives me a comforting feeling of vintage. Someone was selling one of these refills for $60. That seemed fair.

View attachment 102795

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
Not sure about those refill bottles, Bavard. My guess would be that they are not currently producing them but again, only a guess.

The regular (red) bottles are among the easiest vintages to spot, though. Originally, and up until reformulation, the lettering was all butted up against itself. Post-reform bottles, the lettering is more spaced out. An approximate example:

SAMSARA- Vintage, with Mysore
S A M S A R A- More recent

That soap looks delicious! How beautiful!

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Not sure about those refill bottles, Bavard. My guess would be that they are not currently producing them but again, only a guess.

The regular (red) bottles are among the easiest vintages to spot, though. Originally, and up until reformulation, the lettering was all butted up against itself. Post-reform bottles, the lettering is more spaced out. An approximate example:

SAMSARA- Vintage, with Mysore
S A M S A R A- More recent

That soap looks delicious! How beautiful!

The soap is an Epasiou tip. Worth a search, perhaps.

I love the trick with the letter spacing. Thanks!

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
That Samsara refill is perfect! That's the lettering style you're looking for on the box. Refill bottles do not always come with their box, of course, which then makes it more difficult. As long as you can see the box to be sure of vintage, I'd agree that price is fair.

Mysore Sandal soap is on Amazon, yay! And they sell it in bulk packages, too!:evil:

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I haven’t smelled any of these as I have no interest in Roja Dove currently, although I did years ago. I still own Lilac extrait, Unspoken and Enslaved. Sold off Aoud as I found it phenomenally boring. The Unspoken and Enslaved were gifts. They are big dense florals, something I don’t wear too often any more, but I can still appreciate them when I’m in the mood. I do love Amouage and Guerlain, not much of a Chanel fan. I think I might enjoy Reckless, but would never buy it.

Enslaved Femme is one of the 10.

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
Last one! Creation-E/Enigma Femme- smells nearly identical to Lancome's Tresor, and generally like the work of Sophia Grojsman. This is the hardest one for me to talk about as I've always had a strong dislike of this style. I should love these types for their peachiness but for me, it's a style that can't be saved even by peaches. A loud, synthetically rosy, powdery, peachy floriental typical of the early 1990s -and again, can't state enough how typical of a Grojsman. This perfumer's work is very much "love it or hate it". I suppose you can guess which camp is mine.

With Danger, I scrubbed not because I didn't like the style but because I didn't care for the execution. I have less kind feelings for Creation-E. For me, these Tresor-alikes are just not necessary. Creation-E swept me right up into a time machine and dropped me in 1990, at the dept. store smelling Tresor for the first time. My answer is the same now as it was then. Still nope.

I'll gather up some final thoughts on my group and post them over the weekend! Going to try to stick these in the mail first thing Monday morning for epap.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Closing thoughts would be a nice read. Creation-E Femme was too forgettable for me. I had to find my notes up-thread. My notes said it was forgettable, in so many words.

I appreciate knowing which fragrances were the inspirations behind these and/or which ones are smell-alikes. I sent them to the right person!

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
On the bright side, Creation-E did remind me distinctly of 90's Tresor; possibly good news for Tresor fans who haven't been pleased with reformulations. However, I'd still recommend careful sampling; Tresor was a hit and naturally inspired a great many scents after its release. Maybe something in a more reasonable price range also comes close to vintage Tresor.

I think before you know it, you'll be able to place feminines among their proper "family members" with a quick sniff, too. You've been in the Advanced Learning program all along. Rarely have I seen someone so determined to learn! Feminines are really your last frontier and you do know a great number of them already.

Just a hint of closing thoughts for now, though you've probably guessed this-Beguiled is my #1!:thumbsup:

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
The samples will be on their way to epapsiou by tomorrow (possibly today)! I obviously wasn't thinking when I posted that I'd send them out on Monday.:rolleyesold:

Closing thoughts: First and foremost, and based on these five alone, I would have to say that this is not the house for those seeking new, innovative, edgy, etc. I didn't find any new ideas or twists here, but I don't mind that. I see nothing wrong with improving or adding one's mark to existing ideas. Jacques Guerlain is one of my top two perfumers of all time and there are many of us in perfumeland who find much of his work to be improvement/his take on certain Coty scents. I'm absolutely fine with this. Guerlain had the soul of a poet and Coty, the soul of a salesman. There was plenty of room for both in the early days of modern perfumery.

The Roja Doves I sampled did feel a bit cynical to me. Several of them, while smelling really good, felt like we'd circled back around and now a salesman is imitating the poet. RD's Guerlain ties are clear but to me, the compositions are not necessarily heartfelt.

I repeat that some of these just smell great, though. In those cases, I certainly can't fault the prices as things are worth whatever someone will pay for them. I would simply recommend that newer noses should sample a LOT of scents in order to build a solid frame of reference before committing to one of these. After that, if it's a Roja that moves one the most, why not? Perfumes are meant to boost our joyfulness. If a Roja or twelve makes you happy, I say go for it. I'd just strongly encourage saving that for once you have a nice, big store of fragrance knowledge.

As for quality, these are in the price range that starts to make me a little suspicious. The quality is very nice but not better than most of the higher end niche I've tried. I do feel once we get over a certain price point, the ratio of quality to cost becomes even less guaranteed. But again, not Roja's fault; the market is to blame. I'd say most of these were of excellent ingredient quality, with a couple that seemed less so. Overall, much as it is at any other house. I didn't personally find anything I'm dying to buy but did find some I'd recommend.

My list of preference:

1. Beguiled Femme (and I am going to include this one for epap; I think he's going to like that raspberry leaf)

2. Danger Homme (I still think why not just buy Heritage-but again, this really just smells great. Maybe buy both!)

3. Reckless Femme (the lightly soured dairy note eventually smoothed itself into the notes I did enjoy, making for a truly excellent drydown. I can indeed see caz enjoying this!)

Note: the first three are waaaaaay out ahead of the last two. Imagine a whole bunch of white space inserted between #3 and #4.:grin:

4. Creation E/Enigma Femme (boring as the mall, with quality not much more impressive than standard mall fare)

5. Danger Femme (poor imitation of Samsara. Pointless.)

In all, I had a lot of fun investigating these! I'm glad to have some idea what the house of Roja is about. I'll definitely continue sampling Roja here and there, as the mood strikes. Thank you, Bavard, for pushing my nose somewhere new! Sometimes the sampling and chatting is even more of a good time than buying; this has been one of those experiences. Always a pleasure to sniff and discuss with you! I appreciate this opportunity so much!

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
Got the samples. Thanks PL.
As many of you know, I am not a big fan of Roger. I find him tacky and his perfumes derivative.
Therefore, I wanted to make sure I enter this smelling with an open mind.
I started with Danger PH and it was like Heritage. So I did a blind test.

2 strips - one with Danger and one with Heritage. I asked my wife to spray and label A&B so I do not know which one is which.
Another trick I used was to see which one is better is to smell the strip A and immediately smell B. When you do that you only smell stuff that is in B but not A cause of temporary olfactory fatigue. I read about this trick in an interview (Ellena I think).

Here are the results:
Heritage is much better than Danger. The only thing I could smell in Danger that is not in Heritage is Cumin and laundry musk. OTH if you take away from Heritage all the stuff Danger has you are still left with a decent fragrance - guerlinade+coriander+something oriental.
tl;dr : Save you rmoney and buy Heritage

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I think Danger Homme gets better as it develops on skin. The opening is too much for me, and smelling it on a card, I keep getting a Windex note. On skin, though, in the base, I think it becomes an ok variation on Heritage.

PerfumedLady

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 4, 2010
You're welcome, epap! I see we came to the same conclusion on Danger Homme.

I purposely didn't mention any thoughts on Roja himself until after at least trying some. What I would have said is that his personal aesthetic is not mine. But as always, epapsiou is more efficient with the spot on "tacky".:wink:

Derivative too, yes, but that I don't mind when done exceedingly well. Can't wait for more epapsiou reviews! Dying to see what you'll say about Danger Femme.:evil:

epapsiou

Always be smelling
Basenotes Plus
Sep 28, 2015
You're welcome, epap! I see we came to the same conclusion on Danger Homme.

I purposely didn't mention any thoughts on Roja himself until after at least trying some. What I would have said is that his personal aesthetic is not mine. But as always, epapsiou is more efficient with the spot on "tacky".:wink:

Derivative too, yes, but that I don't mind when done exceedingly well. Can't wait for more epapsiou reviews! Dying to see what you'll say about Danger Femme.:evil:

So you are making me do all the dirty work . :evil: indeed.
Danger Femme is a bad Samsara clone. A shame really cause I love Samsara and would have loved to see a different take on it.
Again using same method - Danger Femme is Samsara (EDP from a 2015 bottle) minus realistic SW accord. Basically polysantol (along with whatever cheap synthetic sandal AC mixture Roger uses)overload with some jasmine and ylang. I will not compare this to vintage Samsara as it is not worthy of that honor.
What bothers me is that current (2015 bottle) Samsara also uses polysantol and cheap AC (cheap cause you can buy it for under $50) but is so much better composition.
Danger Femme and Homme proves that Roger can't even make good clones.

Bavard

Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
Well, now I know where the horrible, oppressive rancid butter/polysantol-like note I've been getting wafts of has been coming from. And I see what Danger Homme has in common with Danger Femme. Both are dupes of better scents, both by Guerlain.

Dear God, why would anyone in this day and age try to replicate Samsara? The lack of Mysore sandalwood is glaring. This thing is rough.

Danger Femme is a bad Samsara clone. A shame really cause I love Samsara and would have loved to see a different take on it.
Again using same method - Danger Femme is Samsara (EDP from a 2015 bottle) minus realistic SW accord. Basically polysantol (along with whatever cheap synthetic sandal AC mixture Roger uses)overload with some jasmine and ylang.

I'll re-post Cheetah's unifying statement on getting a synthetic vibe. I assume it would eventually hit me with Danger Femme and other fragrances that use the same ingredient, but in my wearing, the woods seemed fine.

I agree, when you can smell that synthetic vibe in a frag, it turns me away too.

Latest News