Rogue Perfumery & its resurrections

Z_LiDs

Oct 6, 2021
Hello lads!
I wanted to open this 3d for some time but I always postponed ...
I'm a big fan of the works of Manuel Cross, Rogue Perfumery and ...
I noticed that after 40 Rogue (perfume that I love and that I have, of course), Mr. Cross has no longer released creations that followed the philosophy of "resurrections", hence the "revival" of the great classics of the past which have now disappeared ..
Do you know why?
yet there would be dozens and dozens of wonderful perfumes, now missing, that would be worth reviving with the right formulations and the right components (fu * k IFRA), don't you think?

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Not having smelled any Rogue or being familiar with the perfumer at all, my only educated guess is maybe he wants to do more than live within the realm of recreations and odes to vintage perfume?

Some of the other artisanal brands I've familiarized myself with (Clandestine Laboratories, Bruno Fazzolari/Fzotic, Grey Matter, etc.) seem to explore both vintage or historical styles and more modern or unique styles all their own.

Not every band can be AC/DC, producing mostly the same album over and over since 1980's Back in Black, and still keep it consistently interesting. Sometimes deviation is necessary.

So too is probably the case with artisanal perfume. Every Tauer can't be a L'Air du Desert Marocain, or every Rogue a homage to a discontinued designer from a half-century ago.

Could be totally wrong, just spitballing here.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
Z_LIDs, I think Manuel Cross has answered your question himself here...

I hope that he continues to make new perfumes with “vintage-like effects” rather than the derivative, but probably quite educational efforts to recreate vintage perfumes. One of his recent releases, Vetifleur, seems to do just that. It’s a homage to No. 19 without trying to replicate No. 19.

Best Regards,

Not a Lad

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
I was surprised how different Derviche II smelled at Scent Bar NYC compared to Derviche.

Z_LiDs

Oct 6, 2021
Z_LIDs, I think Manuel Cross has answered your question himself here...

I hope that he continues to make new perfumes with “vintage-like effects” rather than the derivative, but probably quite educational efforts to recreate vintage perfumes. One of his recent releases, Vetifleur, seems to do just that. It’s a homage to No. 19 without trying to replicate No. 19.

Best Regards,

Not a Lad
very interesting....

Latest News