Recommendations on Collection for 40s Male

JCMan

Aug 14, 2022
Hi everyone, I found this site a couple of months ago and have learnt so much. I really appreciate all of the articles and posts I have read. This is my first post and I felt it was time to seek guidance from the experts. I have the following.

Creed
Aventus
Green Irish Tweed
Millesime Imperial
Armaf Club De Nuit Sillage

Acqua Di Gio
Issey Miyake L'Eau Dissey
Lagerfeld Photo (Original black/green) - I love this, I bought a couple extra bottles during the pandemic off Ebay at good prices. I am not sure why, maybe it wears well with my skin, I have gotten more compliments from this than all of my other fragrances combined. I am not looking for compliments, it's just interesting to me that the least expensive (except Armaf) gets the most attention.

I am a male in my 40s and go to the office once a week and do not see that increasing anytime soon as we have transitioned to mostly working remote.

I feel my collection is spring to fall dominant from reading the forum. I am looking for guidance on when and where I should wear what I have and suggestions to fill the gaps with fragrances you recommend based on what I own/like. I've heard if you like something wear it whenever you want from some people. It still seems I should have a plan/base and can stray occasionally if it makes sense.

Office
Daily casual
Dates
Seasons

Thanks in advance for the guidance, much appreciated.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Welcome JCMan!

I would recommend adding some classics to your collection, some of these might be worth considering:

Chanel Egosite
Chanel Antaeus
Chanel Pour Monsieur
Dior Eau Sauvage
Dior Jules
Dior Fahrenheit
Dior Homme
Guerlain Heritage
Guerlain Habit Rouge
Guerlain Derby
Guerlain Vetiver
Guerlain Eau de Guerlain
Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale
Guerlain Eau de Cologne du Coq
Hermes Bel Ami
Hermes Equipage
Hermes Eau d'Hermes
Hermes Terre d'Hermes
Givenchy Gentlmean
Givenchy Monsieur de Givenchy
Balenciaga Ho Hang Club
Balenciaga Pour Homme
Moschino Pour Homme
Ralph Lauren Polo
Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
Rochas Moustache

freewheelingvagabond

Basenotes Institution
Jun 10, 2012
Hi everyone, I found this site a couple of months ago and have learnt so much. I really appreciate all of the articles and posts I have read. This is my first post and I felt it was time to seek guidance from the experts. I have the following.

Creed
Aventus
Green Irish Tweed
Millesime Imperial

Acqua Di Gio
Lagerfeld Photo (Original black/green) - I love this, I bought a couple extra bottles during the pandemic off Ebay at good prices. I am not sure why, maybe it wears well with my skin, I have gotten more compliments from this than all of my other fragrances combined. I am not looking for compliments, it's just interesting to me that the least expensive (except Armaf) gets the most attention.

I am a male in my 40s and go to the office once a week and do not see that increasing anytime soon as we have transitioned to mostly working remote.

I feel my collection is spring to fall dominant from reading the forum. I am looking for guidance on when and where I should wear what I have and suggestions to fill the gaps with fragrances you recommend based on what I own/like. I've heard if you like something wear it whenever you want from some people. It still seems I should have a plan/base and can stray occasionally if it makes sense.

Office
Daily casual
Dates
Seasons

You have a good selection of fresh fragrances. I'd suggest the following -

Office - Grey Vetiver
Daily Casual - Versace pour Homme, Versace Man Eau Fraiche
Dates - L'Homme A La Rose

Seasons - IMO you are well covered for spring & summer.

Fall - Egoiste, Fahrenheit, Vetiver Tonka
Winter - Musc Ravageur, Bois d'Argent

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Welcome!

Good varied collection. I don't know Club de nuit and Photo, but I agree that none of the others is warm/woody/gourmand (Aventus has leather, but it's not as warm as most leathers), ie more typically wintery. Good mainstream examples would be the two cited Chanels, Egoiste (not egoiste platinum, which is different) and Antaeus.

As for what you have, they seem quite good for most occasions. Aquatics (Acqua di Gio and Eau d'issey) are typically though more as summery and casual, but many people wear them at work and in the winter too.

cacio

Goliath

Apr 29, 2014
Welcome to the club! I see that you mentioned you’ve been reading the forums, excellent. I found my way here much like you, and have been reading and taking everything in ever since. The only other piece of advice I would give would be to make use of sampling. There are often darling fragrances discussed here and in reviews which you may not agree with. Worth a few dollars to give something a try before investing in a full bottle. Just my $0.02

darakhshan12

Basenotes Member
Aug 6, 2022
I would recommend adding some classics to your collection, some of these might be worth considering:

Chanel Egosite
Chanel Antaeus
Chanel Pour Monsieur
Dior Eau Sauvage

speckmann0706

Basenotes Institution
Mar 8, 2017
Chanel Antaeus
Chanel Egoiste
Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017
Azzaro Pour Homme
Dolce & Gabanna Pour Homme
Guerlain Vetiver
Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT
Guerlain Heritage Eau De Parfum
Tom Ford Beau De Jour Signature
Bogart Signature
Hermes Terre D’Hermes EDT

JCMan

Aug 14, 2022
Thanks, everyone, I appreciate the quick replies. I have made a list and will begin sampling this weekend and reply with questions and/or decisions.

AndyL

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 2, 2022
I feel my collection is spring to fall dominant from reading the forum. I am looking for guidance on when and where I should wear what I have and suggestions to fill the gaps with fragrances you recommend based on what I own/like. I've heard if you like something wear it whenever you want from some people.

Ton of good suggestions here, JC. And more will come. I'll share a bit of advice on something new to me on seasonal fragrances. Yes, true, there are defiantly those that for whatever the reason, fit a particular season better than others. But I did an exercise that took me day by day through all my fragrances one a time... did this through June and July, it was about 50 days. As I simple went in order from one end of my fragrances through the other, eventually my winter only frags started to be next. And I was pleasantly surprised they work in summer just fine, maybe with a slight adjustment(s) to sprays and for a couple just spraying the writs to keep the thicker scents a bit further from my nose in the heat. So maybe you can wear whatever you like whenever. Maybe, just have to try... Great start btw!! Real gems.... Good luck!!

sniffer64

Feb 3, 2011

Creed
Aventus
Green Irish Tweed
Millesime Imperial

Acqua Di Gio

Office
Daily casual
Dates
Seasons

If you are somewhat new to the hobby, you may be interested in trying some decant samplers from a source such as The Perfumed Court. I got two of their theme samplers and a Guerlain sampler, and found some good ones. But before you delve into that, you might want to figure out your budget. For example, if you have $200 that you have earmarked for fragrances, you could get 2 Chanel fragrances with a bit left over. Or you could get 10 Jacques Bogart or Rogers & Gallet fragrances. My tendency is to find great fragrances that don't cost a lot. Thanks to this group, I just bought Paco Rabanne and Azzaro Pour Homme for around $25 each, 5 Bogarts for around $20 each and 2 Rogers & Gallet for around $25 each. That is 9 high quality, highly reviewed fragrances for around $200. They cover the gamut of blues, greens, barbershops, orientals, fruit/florals, ambers, woody/incense-ys, etc. That is just my preference. I would rather have 10 pairs of different color Dockers khakis than 2 pairs of Brooks Brothers slacks, but that's just me.

Enjoy the ride, take your time, ask lots of questions. If you aren't having fun, you are doing something wrong!

Toxicon

Basenotes Dependent
May 29, 2021
I'd also suggest sampling a lot. You'll eventually give in and blind buy something or other (we all do it, even if we caution others against it!), but you learn so much just from trying different things, even things that are well outside your comfort zone. One thing that was very helpful when i was just starting out was to experiment with a mix of carded samples, decants, travel sprays, and even discovery sets from different houses. Carded samples can be had pretty cheaply on ebay, and occasionally from discounters like Fragrancenet. Decants can be had from places like The Perfumed Court, Scentsplit, Surrender to Chance, ebay, and on here. Travel sprays are often a fantastic value and are honestly very handy - Fragrancenet and Maxaroma are good for this. (If Maxaroma ever offers their 50% off on travel sprays, stock up!) And discovery sets can be purchased direct from a lot of niche houses, and from retailers like Luckyscent.

Some of my most enjoyable experiences were blindly sampling things in discovery sets I never would have tried otherwise - the Histoires de Parfums 24-sample discovery set was extremely left field for me, but the price was great and it led to a lot of fun discoveries (and one full bottle purchase thus far). Getting to try something totally off the wall like HdP 1740 was the kind of experience that really opened my eyes. Even if you hate some of these things on first exposure, you can learn a lot about your limits, interests you didn't know you had, and it's always fun to revisit as your palate expands.

When it's time to buy bottles, I've had excellent luck buying from a mix of discounters including Fragrancenet (generally the best selection), Fragrancex, PerfumeOnline.ca, and a mix of ebay discounters with good ratings (Foreverlux and Perfume Empire are both great). You can save an insane amount if you're willing to hunt around.

Aug 16, 2022
I agree that samples are imperative unless you have other means to try dozens of fragrances. It's possible to have a rotation which all wows you if you just buy the great ones, and who can you trust but your nose. Everyone says D&G The One is mandatory but I don't like it, while a Dior Homme Intense sample blew me away. Sauvage EDT is "mass appealing" but a sample just smelled like white noise to me, so I passed.

Last edited:

Mr G

Feb 29, 2012

Creed
Aventus
Green Irish Tweed
Millesime Imperial

Acqua Di Gio

Office
Daily casual
Dates
Seasons

Welcome! I also love Photo! Fragrances in my collection that I think share a similar clean musky smell that you may want to look at are PDM Galloway and Creed Himalaya.

FOXHOUND

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jan 14, 2022
Some outstanding suggestions already. I have a few suggestions as well.

Some have already been mentioned but they're definitely worth mentioning them again.

Armaf CDNIM Limited Edition Parfum
Armaf CDN Milestone
Armaf CDN Sillage
Armaf Radical Brown
Azzaro Chrome Extreme
Azzaro Wanted By Night
Azzaro The Most Wanted
Azzaro The Most Wanted Parfum
Bentley For Men Intense
Bentley For Men Absolute
Bentley For Men Silverlake
Boucheron Pour Homme EDT
Boucheron Pour Homme EDP
Boucheron Jaipur Homme EDT
Boucheron Jaipur Homme EDP
Cartier Santos De Cartier EDT
Cartier Santos De Cartier Concentree
Cartier Pasha De Cartier EDT
Cartier Pasha De Cartier Parfum
Cartier Declaration (and it's flankers you can find)
Cartier Declaration Parfum
Cartier L'Envol EDT
Cartier L'Envol EDP
Chanel Allure Homme Sport Eau Extreme EDP
Chanel Antaeus
Chanel Egoiste
Chanel Platinum Egoiste
Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree (if you can find it)
Chanel Pour Monsieur EDP
Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDT
Chanel Bleu De Chanel EDP
Chanel Bleu De Chanel Parfum
Davidoff Zino Davidoff
Dior Fahrenheit Le Parfum
Dior Eau Sauvage EDT & EDP
Dior Homme Original
Dior Homme 2020
Dior Homme Intense EDP
Dior Homme Parfum
Dior Sauvage EDT
Dior Sauvage EDP
Dior Sauvage Parfum
Dior Sauvage Elixir
Dolce & Gabbana The One EDP
Dolce & Gabbana The One Luminous Night
Dolce & Gabbana The One Grey
Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Eau Intense
Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Forever
Dunhill Icon
Dunhill Icon Absolute
Dunhill Icon Elite
Emporio Armani Stronger With You Absolutely
Giorgio Armani Code Absolu
Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio Profumo
Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio Eau De Parfum
Guerlain Vetiver
Guerlain Habit Rouge EDT & EDP
Guerlain Heritage EDT & EDP
Guerlain L'Homme Ideal EDP
Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Extreme
Houbigant Duc De Vervins EDT
Houbigant Duc De Vervins L'Extreme (EDP)
Houbigant Fougere Royale
Houbigant Cologne Intense
Houbigant Bois Mystique
Houbigant Figuier Noir
Initio Parfums Prives Oud For Greatness
Lalique Pour Homme EDT
Lalique Pour Homme EDP
Lalique Pour Homme Equus
Lalique White
Lalique White In Black
Lalique Encre Noire
Lalique Encre Noire Sport
Lalique Encre Noire A L'Extreme
Lalique Hommage a l'Homme
Lalique L'Insoumis
Missoni Wave
Prada L'Homme
Prada L'Homme Intense
Rochas Moustache EDT & EDP
Rochas L'Homme
Robert Graham Fortitude
Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche
Tom Ford Beau De Jour
Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
Tom Ford Noir Extreme EDP
Tom Ford Noir Extreme Parfum
Tom Ford Ombre Leather EDP
Tom Ford Ombre Leather Parfum
Versace The Dreamer
Versace Dylan Blue
Versace Eros Parfum
Versace Man Eau Fraiche
Versace Pour Homme
Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme
Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de l'Homme
Yves Saint Laurent La Nuit de l'Homme Bleu Electrique (if you can find it)
Yves Saint Laurent Y EDT
Yves Saint Laurent Y EDP
Yves Saint Laurent Y Le Parfum
Yves Saint Laurent Y Eau Fraiche

That's all I have right now but I'll add to this later on if I think of some other ones. These are all fragrances I own and really enjoy wearing. A few are around the $90.00-$200.00 price point but most of them are fairly inexpensive, anywhere from $35.00-$75.00 depending on where you find them.

Last edited:

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...