Recommendations for summer fragrances?

Byzas92

Sep 20, 2021
Hi all

As you can tell from the post title, I'm looking for some recommendations for summer fragrances (it is getting close to winter here but no time like the present to stock up, right?) as I feel like my fragrance is a little too weighted towards fall/winter fragrances. Just for reference, I'm 29/M from the UK.

My current summer rotation, looks like this (in no particular order):

• Montblanc Starwalker
  • Coach for Men (2017)
  • Davidoff Cool Water
  • Armaf Club de Nuit Intense Man (more of a summer night fragrance)
  • Armaf Tres Nuit
  • Versace Dylan Blue pour Homme

I've been eyeing Versace Pour Homme (and their Eau Fraiche) but I am torn between that and something from the Bulgari Aqva line. That being said, I'm open to any suggestions that you guy/girls have. I'm more of an occasional fragrance user (dates, nights out and the like) but recommendations for everyday scents (or scents that work both day/night) will be appreciated. Finally, my maximum budget is £100 (or it's equivalent)

Hope you're all doing well and I'm looking forward to hearing your recommendations!

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Welcome to Basenotes!

The Bvlgari Aqua line is okay ... and so are the Versaces. The original Bvlgari Aqua is a nice fresh-dark-aquatic scent. The rest and the two Versaces are more of lighter fresher scents. I'd say you could pick either Man Eau Fraiche if you want that fresh-bright vibe, and Bvlgari Aqua for a fresh-dark scent.

Overall your wardrobe has mostly fresh scents rather than warm-spicy ones, and seems more geared towards warmer seasons.

Byzas92

Sep 20, 2021
I had seen L’homme mentioned but had discounted it initially as I’d heard it was more of an office scent/formal wear scent (but that is subjective at the end of the day, I suppose)

Would you still recommend it for casual wear or should I go for something different, do you think?

Thank you for your reply, by the way!

Byzas92

Sep 20, 2021
I had seen L’homme mentioned but had discounted it initially as I’d heard it was more of an office scent/formal wear scent (but that is subjective at the end of the day, I suppose)

Would you still recommend it for casual wear or should I go for something different, do you think?

Sorry, forgot to include the relevant quote. Was replying to ZhangFan’s post (and Varanis’ post regarding Amber pour Homme)

Byzas92

Sep 20, 2021
Welcome to Basenotes!

The Bvlgari Aqua line is okay ... and so are the Versaces. The original Bvlgari Aqua is a nice fresh-dark-aquatic scent. The rest and the two Versaces are more of lighter fresher scents. I'd say you could pick either Man Eau Fraiche if you want that fresh-bright vibe, and Bvlgari Aqua for a fresh-dark scent.

Overall your wardrobe has mostly fresh scents rather than warm-spicy ones, and seems more geared towards warmer seasons.

Thank you for your reply! Your description of Bvlgari as fresh-dark has piqued my interest a bit. Are there any from the line that would recommend in particular. I was leaning towards Atlantique (due to it being compared to Dylan Blue, on occasion) but Amara’s mandarin note has intrigued me. Any others I should check out?

StylinLA

Aug 9, 2009

Both Prada L'Homme and Prada Amber Pour Homme are solid, sort of soapy, modern scents. Some of the online reviewers (ie Jeremy) seem to me to be overhyping Prada L'Homme as an "office" scent. It is good for that, but it is way more versatile than wearing to work. I wouldn't consider either very formal; more casual to me.

They are both good, clean cut nice scents. I think calling them an office scent is a way of saying it's not likely to be too loud or offensive; not overtly sensual.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Both Prada L'Homme and Prada Amber Pour Homme are solid, sort of soapy, modern scents. Some of the online reviewers (ie Jeremy) seem to me to be overhyping Prada L'Homme as an "office" scent. It is good for that, but it is way more versatile than wearing to work. I wouldn't consider either very formal; more casual to me.

They are both good, clean cut nice scents. I think calling them an office scent is a way of saying it's not likely to be too loud or offensive; not overtly sensual.

Once again agreed here. Not much more to add besides Amber pour Homme is a tad sweeter and soapier than Prada L'Homme, which has a bit more powder and musk in it like a barbershop.

freewheelingvagabond

Jun 10, 2012
Thank you for your reply! Your description of Bvlgari as fresh-dark has piqued my interest a bit. Are there any from the line that would recommend in particular. I was leaning towards Atlantique (due to it being compared to Dylan Blue, on occasion) but Amara’s mandarin note has intrigued me. Any others I should check out?

I don't like either Dylan Blue or Atlantique. Amara is a dry citrus over a woody-incense base. It's okay, I find that Acqua di Gio Profumo does the similar idea much better. The Aqua Marine flanker is okay, too, very bright and summery. Nonetheless I've sold it twice.
You might want to consider L'eau d'Issey pour Homme as a summer citrus that transitions very well into cooler weather. Prada L'Homme is also a great option but I tend to wear it mostly in the winter.

Byzas92

Sep 20, 2021
Hi all

After some deliberation, I ended up pulling the trigger on:

Versace Pour Homme
Issey Miyake Pour Homme (actually received a sample of it today which sold me on the fragrance)
Prada L'homme (will also be ordering a sample of Amber pour Homme, in the near future)

Thank you for all your suggestions, they were very informative and gave me a lot of food for thought, fragrance-wise (I honestly wasn't expecting such a response from my first post!)

Byzas92

Sep 20, 2021
Although maybe a bit belated, also adding Azzaro PH l'Eau, Best of Chevignon and Faconnable PH to a possible (re) testing list

I've just checked out those and they definitely look like ones I'll need to check out! Are there any out of the three that you would particularly recommend?

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
I've just checked out those and they definitely look like ones I'll need to check out! Are there any out of the three that you would particularly recommend?

Maybe a tie/close competition between Azzaro PH l'Eau and Best of Chevignon- given the fact that both happen to be fairly good performance, quite readily available and inexpensive (at least for now)

Staff online

Latest News