Recommendations for Lavender Fragrances

Johnny_Ludlow

Nov 2, 2004
Ah! I am a huge lavender fan and enjoy it in many, many forms. I wear the following quite regularly.

Classical:

Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur (rectangular bottle)
Caron Pour Un Homme (older the better)
Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge (current is still very good)

Modern:

Frederic Malle Music For a While (I can see why some people see it as a mess, but I enjoy this a lot)
Hermessence Brin de Reglisse (beautiful modern and aromatic licorice and lavender)
Histoires de Parfums 1725 Casanova (very smooth and well blended modern fougere)
Amouage Sunshine Man (mindless and silly, but somehow I enjoy this boozy and creamy weirdo)

Ah, sorry! We are on female side. Hermessence is absolutely unisex. Bogue MEM also maybe worth a shot.

Last edited:

_Nicolas_

Aug 16, 2021
Histoires de Parfums 1725 Casanova (very smooth and well blended modern fougere)

Good suggestion nonetheless IMO, I definitely think this is worth sampling despite the masculine name and classification, @CuddleCat! Certainly soft and smooth enough for a lady to easily pull off. It has bergamot and grapefruit, but they're only prominent in the opening. Amber and vanilla are quite dominant in the drydown too, so this could fit in with your taste quite nicely! :)

IsoESuperman

People of Zee Wurl, Relax
Basenotes Plus
Dec 30, 2015
I'd second Donna's suggestion of Diptyque Eau de Lavande. It is lavender front and center with a nice rounded warmth to it, while somehow staying brisk and aromatic like lavender typically is. Lasts a good long while, too. It is one of my favorites and although Diptyque seems to have axed and/or rebottled a number of things from the Eaux and Les Floralies lines, Eau de Lavande is (was?) still available on eBay for reasonable prices.

I'm not sure if someone else suggested it already but the original L'Occitan (or Eau de L'Occitan, whatever the official name is) is a nice option for woody/peppery lavender, if that sounds like your thing.

JBHoren

Apr 25, 2007
Is this thread only for frags that are currently in-production? If not -- and I don't see it listed in any of the posts -- I'd like to suggest my favorite: Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours, by Guerlain.

291256d1529706494-sun-june-17th-sat-june-23rd-20180622-cwfranka-laalv.jpg

Last edited:

panope7734

Oct 14, 2014
I have just added Mon Guerlain EDP back into my perfume wardrobe for it's very noticeable lavender note but I'm curious about other scents that have a very good lavender note in them, I'm not really looking for a one note soliflore. I'm open to trying other lavender combinations but I know I like lavender mixed with citrus (especially mandarin, tangerine, clementine), coconut, sandalwood, amber, vanilla and tonka bean.
I like YSL Libre EdT and Christians Celle Calypso Lavande (the latter is sweet with praline)

May 4, 2010
Being a Lavender Connaisseur, I would have to suggest that you specify what type of lavender note you prefer, as there are so many ways that "Lavender" is used in scents, and these ways are so noticeably different as to be almost different notes all together, and they emanate distinctly from different components that are used/not used in the comp: Also different provenances smell differently. Bulgarian Lavender, for example, is dryer than some, and there are Lavender compounds from many countries, Spain, England, obviously France, etc. The main question I have for you is if you fancy Lavender Absolute, or you prefer Lavendin. Lavender Absolute is what is in "Pour Un Homme de Caron" and it is so much sweeter, and deeper, than other Lavender additives. It is also a really dark green color. It's also what's in Killian's "Absinthe" scent. Other Lavender additives are dryer--and while they are almost never cloying, as Lavender Absolute often is, they are much dryer, and smell "cleaner." Jicky is a good example of case-usage of Lavendin--dry--clean and almost powdery. Pour un Homme de Caron would be the quintessential study of Lavender Absolute. The trick is: Which do you prefer? (Some comps contain both--but usually one can tell there is a nod to one, or the other) Using myself as an example, I most definitely prefer Lavendin/other Lavender Components in a scent--and I love lavender--and I have worn Jicky for over 40 years as a signature--I try to wear Pour Un Homme de Caron, and I have plenty of it, but I find it to ultimately become cloying and sweet on me, where as Jicky never does. As for the recent Jicky proposals, they are all over the map. I wear all of them. Some are very civet-heavy and others aren't. I'm sorry to see they have discontinued the Eau de Toilette. But then...it's been so long that I have worn this, that i remember being disappointed that they discontinued the Eau de Cologne, so this tells you a bit about how well I know Sister Jicky. Brother Mouchoir has finally been put out of his misery. I am stocked for life. Praise be to God.

Aug 23, 2018
There is a grass note, at least for me, when I had my sample of Jersey.

Jicky EDT sounds like your best best of the two.

I do see mini bottles for Heritage EDT available if you're willing to consider.
There is a grass note, at least for me, when I had my sample of Jersey.

Jicky EDT sounds like your best best of the two.

I do see mini bottles for Heritage EDT available if you're willing to consider.
For CuddleCat~Excuse me, as this is my first post/reply: (Re:diffusers/vaporisers). That's what I do at times. I'll put a tiny bit of a lavender essential oil on when using my diffusers. There are times I'll even put on patchouli to take me back in time~

dancnyc

Feb 7, 2008
Tons of mention of good old Jicky....BUT Jean Paul G. outdid himself with my favorite of the whole line he created: Lavande Velours in the Aqua line. A pure and refined lavender that in my opinion had no equal. Unfortunately the house of Guerlain discontinued it and you cannot find it anywhere....
Why?......

argogos

Jan 4, 2008
Give Penhaligon’s Endymion a sniff. It is velvety smooth and will likely fill a gap in your collection. It doesn’t have to be your immediate favorite, nor win the title of best use of lavender. However it is intriguing, mysterious, and sophisticated.; not a lavender soliflore. ;)

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Two lavender perfumes finally arrived in the mail so of course, I had to try both of them..... On my left arm was Caron Pour um Homme and on my right arm was the EDT version of Mon Guerlain. Two very different smelling lavenders. The Caron started very boldly with strong lavender, rosemary and clary sage for the first half hour, then the herbal bomb settled into a very nice lavender and tonka bean scent with a bit of vanilla. I got more tonka bean than actual vanilla. The Mon Guerlain EDT is a very fresh citrus lavender scent with some light floral notes and small amounts of sandalwood and vanilla. It's the brightest and freshest version of Mon Guerlain, the sandalwood and vanilla notes are dialled way back. Even though they are two very different smelling scents, I like them both!

I've owned several different types of lavender essential oils over the years for use in oil warmers and for scenting my handmade body care items - body creams, body scrubs, hand creams, bath salts, etc. but I'll have to go to an essential oil website to jog my memory. I remember that Lavendin wasn't a top favourite but I don't think Bulgarian Lavender was either.....

Thanks for all the recs, I'm still exploring and sampling lavender fragrances so keep the recs coming.....

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Classical:
Czech & Speake Oxford & Cambridge (current is still very good)
Oh good call! It always ended up smelling like pee on me, but it's a great bracing lavender.
I'm a fan of Green Lavender by The Art of Shaving and Oxford & Cambridge by Czech & Speake. The latter is more complex.
I have been besotted by C&S Oxford & Cambridge ever since I first tried it. I only have an old 15ml size travel bottle of it now and it is the vintage. I find that the mossy base makes this one of my all time favourites in this genre. The vintage version lasts much better and I find the herbaceous mint and lavender accord are much more pronounced in this version. I find the current a little bit screechy and thin all the way through. I'd love to be able to get more of the older juice but I feel that is just a mid-summer night's gentle dream...

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
On another note, I recently got my nose on some older juice of Caron Pour un Homme. A tiny spritz on skin lasted well into the next day and I can still smell traces of it on the clothes I wore that day. The scent is not as overpowering as I would have expected for a vintage scent - it had such a calming and soothing effect.

grayspoole

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 4, 2014
While it would require some vintage reconnaissance, I have to mention Patou’s Moment Suprême (1929) if we are talking about great lavender fragrances, especially since le mouchoir de monsieur, who wrote an essential review of it, is here.

Moment Suprême offers aromatic gusts of lavender along rich florals and a deep vintage amber base. A mini from the Kerleo era can be had fairly easily, and it might whet your appetite for more.

May 4, 2010
While it would require some vintage reconnaissance, I have to mention Patou’s Moment Suprême (1929) if we are talking about great lavender fragrances, especially since le mouchoir de monsieur, who wrote an essential review of it, is here.

Moment Suprême offers aromatic gusts of lavender along rich florals and a deep vintage amber base. A mini from the Kerleo era can be had fairly easily, and it might whet your appetite for more.
Thank you for that comment. Moment Suprême is indeed a beautiful lavender-centric scent, but an unusual one. (with only Jo Malone's "Amber Lavender" as an echo) It has not happened often that what would have been called an Amber-Oriental would make such copious use of lavender, both in the form of 2 different absolutes and standard Grassois lavendin. Moment Suprême remains a curiosity even (these almost 100) years later, albeit a masterful one. For almost half a century, it was one of Jean Patou's best sellers, and remained in the full range until the early 1980's, along with "Amour Amour," and "Câline."

Latest News