Recommendations for Lavender Fragrances

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I have just added Mon Guerlain EDP back into my perfume wardrobe for it's very noticeable lavender note but I'm curious about other scents that have a very good lavender note in them, I'm not really looking for a one note soliflore. I'm open to trying other lavender combinations but I know I like lavender mixed with citrus (especially mandarin, tangerine, clementine), coconut, sandalwood, amber, vanilla and tonka bean.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
You probably know it already, but Jicky is the classic lavender and vanilla, plus some lemon up top.

For lavender, I am partial to Chanel Jersey, which is lavender plus some sweet fruity stuff (pear to my nose, not citrus)-but this one doesn't seem to be widely appreciated...

cacio

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Has anyone tried the current Jicky EDT? If yes, can you give your impressions on it. In particular, how strong is the lemon note and is there much civet in it. I can order this online but it would be a blind buy! I have never come across a tester for Jicky in stores.

With Jersey EDP, it lists a grass note, is that note noticeable? I have a problem with strong grass notes triggering more sinus issues during pollen season.

If anyone has tried Mon Guerlain EDT, are the mandarin and lavender notes more noticeable in the EDT than EDP?

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
Has anyone tried the current Jicky EDT? If yes, can you give your impressions on it. In particular, how strong is the lemon note and is there much civet in it. I can order this online but it would be a blind buy! I have never come across a tester for Jicky in stores.
From what I recalled the last time I sampled it at retails the lemon was moderate. Civet I didn't pick any up.

If you don't mind a masculine scent, I would recommend Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree and Guerlain Heritage.

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
I have not smelled the latest version of Jicky. In recent years, there was little or not civet. In general in Jicky, the lemon is not prominent, it's just something to make the opening more complex. I have seen testers, but only at places like Saks or Bloomingdales, and not all of them.

I don't get grass in Jersey, but I have a pretty peculiar view of Jersey (to me, it smells like pear juice...). In any case, at the exclusive prices, smelling first is a must.

cacio

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I'm o.k. with wildflower notes but if the grass note is noticeable in Jersey, it's probably not even worth me trying to track down a tester or sample.

Jicky EDT is actually one of the cheapest Guerlain perfumes especially as it's 100ml but it is a blind buy risk for me. It's only because I'm craving the scent of lavender at the moment that I'm even considering a blind buy. I'm going to be strong, go put some lavender essential oil in my air vaporiser and not blind buy it!

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I'm o.k. with wildflower notes but if the grass note is noticeable in Jersey, it's probably not even worth me trying to track down a tester or sample.

Jicky EDT is actually one of the cheapest Guerlain perfumes especially as it's 100ml but it is a blind buy risk for me. It's only because I'm craving the scent of lavender at the moment that I'm even considering a blind buy. I'm going to be strong, go put some lavender essential oil in my air vaporiser and not blind buy it!
There is a grass note, at least for me, when I had my sample of Jersey.

Jicky EDT sounds like your best best of the two.

I do see mini bottles for Heritage EDT available if you're willing to consider.

donna255

Jul 16, 2004
Serge Lutens Encen et Lavande and also Gris Clair both lovely lavenders.

Jicky well try for the older PDT version. I was never a fan of the EDT.

Atelier Cologne Iris Rebelle has lavender.

Caron Pour Homme, lovely lavender and vanilla and yes anyone could wear it.

Diptyque Eau Lavande is fresh and great of warmer weather.

Frederic Malle Music For A While is a lavender

ExtremeK

Some of my paths in life are dirt
Basenotes Plus
Jul 5, 2010
+1 for Gris Clair - it’s a gorgeous, ashy lavender amber and one of my husband’s favorites. (ETA: he loves it when I wear it; he doesn’t wear it himself.)

Another of my favorite lavenders is Profumum Roma Antico Caruso - lemon, lavender, and almond. The sweetness appears about 4-5 hours in on me, but it’s never overpowering. It’s primarily about lemon and lavender. AC lasts a good 16 hours on my skin.

Last edited:

therese19

Nov 9, 2009
You probably know it already, but Jicky is the classic lavender and vanilla, plus some lemon up top.

For lavender, I am partial to Chanel Jersey, which is lavender plus some sweet fruity stuff (pear to my nose, not citrus)-but this one doesn't seem to be widely appreciated...

cacio
Interesting that you should mention pear. Now I understand what makes Jersey stand out from other lavender fragrances, it is the pear note.

therese19

Nov 9, 2009

I don't detect any grass note in Jersey. You can probably get a sample through Ebay.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
The YSL Libre fragrances have lavender. I've only smelled the Intense version, but I could smell the lavender in it, even though it wasn't dominant. It was blended with orange blossom and vanilla. The regular Libre may have a stronger lavender note, and the top notes are mandarin and neroli.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
Caron Pour Homme, lovely lavender and vanilla and yes anyone could wear it.
The best lavender scent, the only one, unavoidable, and I've tried almost all of them
I am not a regular by any means on the FFD boards, but as I have been recently reading about Caron Pour Un Homme, I have come across a lot of information that mention it being totally unisex. Lavender is an essential component of the masculine "fougere" accord, but laced with vanilla, I agree that Pour Un Homme is totally unisex. Enjoy!

Jun 10, 2012
I have just added Mon Guerlain EDP back into my perfume wardrobe for it's very noticeable lavender note but I'm curious about other scents that have a very good lavender note in them, I'm not really looking for a one note soliflore. I'm open to trying other lavender combinations but I know I like lavender mixed with citrus (especially mandarin, tangerine, clementine), coconut, sandalwood, amber, vanilla and tonka bean.
My recommendation to you would be Antiheros from ELdO.

ClockworkAlice

Cakesniffer
Basenotes Plus
Jan 3, 2019
I do own Mon Guerlain EDT and I have compared it to EDP extensively, and yes, both lavender and mandarin are much more prominent in EDT. EDP is much thicker, stronger, heavier, very vanillic, and EDT feels much lighter and airier compared to that. The lavender in EDT is very realistic and also is of the slightly medicinal kind - I had an all natural wild lavender hydrolat to use as a face mist and it had these slightly medicinal, slightly stinky qualities - EDT has them too, but you shouldn't be afraid, the perfume itself is not stinky at all, I'm just mentioning it as it's a very natural smelling lavender in the EDT. To me EDT is much more easy to wear than EDP because of that lightness and brightness of it, especially in the slightly warmer months. EDP is more cocooning in the winter though.

YSL Libre is also a very nice lavender-vanilla scent but it feels very different from Mon Guerlain. Mon Guerlain line is more cozy, fluffy and rounded and Libre feels more aromatic and sharper. I do have a travel spray of Libre Intense - it's quite a heavy scent with some sweetly aromatic lavender shining through thick ambery and ambrox-y drydown. Regular Libre is of course lighter, more floral and more balanced - Intense reads more like an evening scent and regular Libre EDP is very universal. There's also the new EDT which is supposed to be even lighter/brighter but I haven't tried that one yet.

Do you have Lush store somewhere nearby?
If you do, I highly recommend to visit it as one of my favourite lavender scents (if not THE favourite) is Twilight body spray from Lush. (I think they had the perfume too before, but their body sprays quite often act like EDPs anyway so they're super economical). To me it's primarily a lavender and tonka scent (official notes mention ylang ylang too, but for me it's basically sweet lavender and super comforting slightly chocolate-y tonka). It's very soothing and comforting and feels a lot like a hug, so I use it mostly as a late evening or night scent because of it. I have a big decant which will last me a long time as it's quite strong but I think I will replenish it after I finish it.
I also had a sample of another Lush scent - What Would Love Do? (a perfume and not the body spray this time) - and this is a citrusy lavender that you might also enjoy, especially if you enjoy (or don't mind) this slightly crude, slightly raw and not overly blended Lush style. Official notes state "tangerine, lavender, benzoin" but to me it actually feels quite lemony, too. It's citrusy and balsamic, a little bit sharp, a little bit sweetly sour, feels very casual, brightly happy and quite fun.

After reading the thread so far I feel like I really should get my nose on Caron Pour un Homme and Gris Clair..., too!

Cevenol

Dec 22, 2015
I tried current Jicky extrait not long ago, pricey but phenomenal!
Kafkaesque blog has an extensive review.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
I tried current Jicky extrait not long ago, pricey but phenomenal!
Kafkaesque blog has an extensive review.

I'd also go for the Eau de Parfum. I have tried a few different years of Jicky parfum going back to the early 2000's, and I just don't nearly enjoy it as much as the EDP. It's all a matter of taste, and I didn't care for the Eau de Toilette much either.

_Nicolas_

Aug 16, 2021
I think Dunhill Icon's lavender aspect is hugely underappreciated, largely due to the fact that the juniper berry note is so dominant, especially in the opening. It's a very authentic Lavandula angustifolia (English Lavender) note to my nose. I don't think it excessively leans male...

saminlondon

Aug 25, 2011
The lavender note in JIcky is so well integrated it has never come across as a lavender perfume to my nose. It's a wonderful, and wonderfully unique, fragrance, but I wonder whether it will scratch that itch of yours. The EdT is now discontinued, for what it's worth.

Another question is what kind of lavender you're looking for, because it can range from floral to astringent. I've recently started looking into bracing, herbal, medicinal concoctions such as Agua Puig and Act Brito Lavanda but so far haven't been able to get my nose on them.

CuddleCat

Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
I like the floral lavenders and also some that are a bit more astringent, probably not super astringent for a perfume.

The only Jicky concentration available on the Australian perfume e-store that I like to purchase from, was the EDT. I've added the parfum/extrait and EDP to my test list.

So far, I've ordered a very reasonably priced travel spray set of Caron Pour Un Homme and a bottle of Mon Guerlain EDT as I'm familiar with the Mon Guerlain range of perfumes. I've owned Gris Clair by Serge Lutens in the past and thought it was discontinued but I've found the new style 100ml bottle online so my dear husband has ordered a bottle of it for me - hope it smells close to what my old bottle smelt like! I've also got samples ordered of some of the other recs, although, some that I can't source right now have been added to my test list.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I like the floral lavenders and also some that are a bit more astringent, probably not super astringent for a perfume.

The only Jicky concentration available on the Australian perfume e-store that I like to purchase from, was the EDT. I've added the parfum/extrait and EDP to my test list.

So far, I've ordered a very reasonably priced travel spray set of Caron Pour Un Homme and a bottle of Mon Guerlain EDT as I'm familiar with the Mon Guerlain range of perfumes. I've owned Gris Clair by Serge Lutens in the past and thought it was discontinued but I've found the new style 100ml bottle online so my dearest husband has ordered a bottle of it for me - hope it smells close to what my old bottle smelt like! I've also got samples ordered of some of the other recs, although, some that I can't source right now have been added to my test list.
Sounds like another project is in the works?

For me the higher concentration Jicky was much more pleasant, I got more depth that I wanted from it.

Gris Clair was really nice when I had the chance to sample it years ago, hope the newer bottle is just as good..

Latest News