Recommendations for a great, non-sweet, winter fragrance ?

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
I feel like there are a whole lot of sweet scents recommended in this thread. Obviously we have different definitions of sweet.

There have also been a lot of suggestions I agree with:

+1 Polo
+1 Bandit
+1 Tom Ford Extreme
+1 Bel Ami
+1 Fahrenheit

And I will add

Jacomo de Jacomo
French Lover
CdG Incense Jaisalmer
Bijan for Men

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
I feel like there are a whole lot of sweet scents recommended in this thread. Obviously we have different definitions of sweet.
Yes, it's a spectrum. From my POV, it looks like what the OP doesn't enjoy is a distinctively gourmand sweetness. The question is whether that eliminates all sweetness from consideration or just fairly sugary things.

sylvain

Aug 20, 2014
Thank you very much for all those great recommendations ! You are right Brooks Otterlake, I made a mistake by mentionning " Non-sweet ", I should have written " Non-gourmand " A little bit of sweetness isn't bad !

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Hope nobody minds me upping this thread. Was about to create a similar post.
Maybe someone has new or additional recommendations? Although I like them all, still find some here a tad too sweet such as HdP 1899, Tom Ford Noir de Noir, Bvlgrie Black.
I am considering Wonderwood --> Edit: Never mind. Just sprayed again my sample but forgot how poorly it performs on my skin...

Take care

Last edited:

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I would say French Lover is a great one for winter but it works all year round. It's a bone dry scent so no hint of sweetness or gourmand here.

New York Intense was mentioned before, but I would say regular New York is just as good.

One of my favourite scents for winter, would have to be Amouage Epic Man.

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
I would say French Lover is a great one for winter but it works all year round. It's a bone dry scent so no hint of sweetness or gourmand here.

New York Intense was mentioned before, but I would say regular New York is just as good.

One of my favourite scents for winter, would have to be Amouage Epic Man.
I completely agree with you... B/c I own French Lover and New York (although I have the intense, not regular). Never tried Epic man though. I also remember I have a sample somewhere of Black by Comme des Garcons. Need to try tomorrow.

LiveJazz

Funky fresh
Basenotes Plus
Mar 16, 2006
Équipage and Bel Ami (Vétiver). I'm also looking for more of these scents with less sweetness. I'm especially getting tired of vanilla which is in way too many fragrances, Habit Rouge EDT and EDP are really all I need for that.
Equipage is a good one. It’s so cozy and warm and friendly, without relying to sweeteners to achieve the effect.

I swear, each time I see it mentioned, I wish I was wearing it!

Andyjreid

Oct 27, 2008
Comme des Garcons Incense Kyoto - Incense and vetiver are what I get here. Dry and very seasonal for winter.

Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Extreme - Like the original L'Homme Ideal but with more "mojo". Not too sweet, on me anyway, with the main players being almond, plum, tobacco and a leather/cedar base.

Kerosene Follow - Coffee, Tonka, Amber Benzoin. Beautifully warm without being sweet.

Zgb

Jan 20, 2009
Azzaro Pour Homme Intense (2015) might be something to check. Bottega Veneta Pour Homme might be a good choice. Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme might be something to consider, although it seems it was discontinued recently. Caron L'Aanarchiste is an interesting fragrance that should get more mention. Lalique L'Insoumis is a potential "ace in the sleeve".

MattJP

Feb 14, 2013
Loewe 7 Anonimo - This fits the bill for me as an easy incense scent that really shines in the cold. It wears close but lasts all day on me and clothing.

Noir Anthracite +
Declaration Essence +
Grey Vetiver - Bright and crisp!
Loewe Esencia - Something with this in cold air...

I'm looking forward to trying Oud Minerale and H24 in the cold.

naylor

Oct 24, 2011
Must add Comme des Garcons - Black, which a just rediscovered (although performance is not stellar, just decent)
And Bois d'Ascece by Naomie Goodsir (or, in the same smoky Real, a city on fire by Imaginary Authors)
Excellent, smoky suggestions -- some of my favorites!

Latest News