Recommendations for a great, non-sweet, winter fragrance ?

sylvain

Aug 20, 2014
Hello Everyone !

It's been a while since I haven't pulled the trigger on a new fragrance, My taste has been changing a lot in the past years and it's getting harder for me to find a good fragrance I'm sure I would like !

I'm looking for a original, Niche or designer, elegant, Not too sweet and quite versatile winter fragrance . It can be a bit bold, I'm not really into huge crowd pleaser, as long as it's not offensive

I thought I would like Noir Exquis by L'artisan Parfumeur, but after trying it for a couple of days It feels really cloying on myself ( Well, that one is really sweet )

I own and love Royal Oud, but my girlfriend doesn't, and I'm spending a lot of time with her, so I keep that one for myself .

I also own DHI, but I'm not a big fan anymore

Pure havane is too sweet for my taste, and so is Spiritueuse double vanille by Guerlain

I've tried a lot more and can't find the perfect one, it's frustrating !

What would be your recommendations ?

Thanks a lot !

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
So it sounds like you're not really fond of strongly gourmand stuff, so maybe lean towards something that has mild sweeteness.

In the designer segment, Pasha de Cartier Parfum (2020) is a woody, green, spicy sandalwood with a bit of sweetness, but nothing that leans sugary or foody.

In the niche tier, you have a lot of options. I'd recommend something like Amouage Journey Man.

speckmann0706

Mar 8, 2017
Nicolai New York Intense
Dior Fahrenheit Parfum
Dior Eau Sauvage Parfum 2017, 2012 if you can find it.
Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
MFK Grand Soir
Givenchy Gentleman EDT Original/Originale
Chanel Allure Homme Edition Blanche EDP
Costume National Homme
Gucci Guilty Absolute Pour Homme
Givenchy Pi
Cartier Pasha Parfum
Hermes Bel Ami
Hermes Bel Ami Vetiver
Histoires de Parfums 1740
Jovoy Private Label
Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
Chanel Antaeus
Chanel Egoiste - slightly sweet but excellent for winter.
Histoires de Parfums 1899 Ernest Hemingway
Tom Ford Beau de Jour “Signature”
Tom Ford Ombre Leather 2018
Tom Ford Noir De Noir - sweet but maybe try it.
Bvlgari Man Black Orient

cacio

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Nov 5, 2010
Warm stuff often comes with sweetness (ambers, vanilla). You could check some dry leathers, like Lutens Cuir Mauresque, Knize Ten, Etat Libre d'Orange Rien, PIguet Bandit.

Zgb

Jan 20, 2009
As some already said, pretty hard to find warm stuff that's not sweet at the same time.

Dior Fahrenheit and Gucci Guilty Absolute definitely fit the bill. Lalique Encre Noire and maybe Hommage a l'homme Voyageur could be worth checking. Juicy Coutoure Dirty English is a sharp, woody, boozy, relatively non sweet frag, but many say it performs poorly. Comme des Garscons Man 2 would be a more quality approach to Dirty English. Baldessarini Black is quite interesting, still not in the Basenotes directory.
Lancome Hypnose Homme could be arguably sweet, but it is not sweet to me.

Last edited:

pirop

Jul 8, 2009
As some already said, pretty hard to find warm stuff that's not sweet at the same time.

Dior Fahrenheit and Gucci Guilty Absolute definitely fit the bill. Lalique Encre Noire and maybe Hommage a l'homme Voyageur could be worth checking. Juicy Coutoure Dirty English is a sharp, woody, boozy, relatively non sweet frag, but many say it performs poorly. Comme des Garscons Man 2 would be a more quality approach to Dirty English. Baldessarini Black is quite interesting, still not in the Basenotes directory.
Lancome Hypnose Homme, could be arguably sweet, but it is not sweet to me.

Yes,I agree wholeheartedly,especially with Fahrenheit EDT,GGA and Hommage al'homme Voyageur.

OldSchoolScents

Jun 7, 2019
Antaeus
Egoiste
Eau Sauvage Parfum - a hint of sweetness
Aramis
Bogart pour homme - somewhat similar to Pure Havane, but with the majority of the sweetness removed. Cherry tobacco and tonka, yet not very sweet.
Dior Homme Parfum - much less sweet than DHI. I suspect you'll like it more if you don't like sweet scents

Kaern

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 2, 2008
I recommend checking out Comme des Garcons -- especially their incense, woody and green based fragrances

All dry as a bone - all mostly beautiful

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Maybe also worth (re) testing, apart from so many great recommendations:
Opus 1870 by Penhaligons, Santos EDT by Cartier, both vintage and present day formulation Creed Tabarome, something along the lines of Guerlain Derby or Caron Yatagan as well, Hermes Rocabar, Lalique Homme EDP, most of these being appropriate as all year any weather choices as well

MegaMav

Dec 12, 2013
Tough to beat Equipage.

equipage-eau-de-toilette--38308-front-1-300-0-1000-1000.jpg

wilfred

Jan 13, 2016
check out Mugler Cuir Impertinent. sort of in the vanilla genre but really well balanced with the sweet-leathery aspects.

other favourites i'm rotating in the cooler weather are Herrera Mystery Tobacco (think a non-sugary dank cherry tobacco) & Chanel Sycomore.

Latest News