Recommendation for oud chips

LadySara

Basenotes Member
Dec 28, 2014
When I burn Cambodian oud I find that the aroma has an ever so slight spicey quality in addition to the smell of agarwood itself.

What type of Oud is less spicer / softer for burning?

Would you say Indonesian oud perhaps?

Thank you

tahasyed

Mar 26, 2009
Hmm, that's strange. Are you sure it was genuine Cambodian? Much wood that isn't Cambodian is sold as 'Cambodian'.
Cambodian (i.e. Crassna) agarwood is actually the least spicy. Indian and Malaysian wood are the most spicy (black pepper, peppercorn, nutmeg, etc.)

The only main 'spicy' component of Cambodian is Cinnamol, which is 'sweet spicy', and even its concentration is VERY small and insignificant. Cambodian Crassna is the 'oudiest' (EXTREMELY high concentrations of Beta-agarofuran) as well as fruitiest (similar to plums, peaches, etc.). Wild Thai is number two in fruitiness, however its more camphoraceous (literally, actual camphor, borneol, isoborneol, and menthol are components of the wood) which makes it a half-way point between Cambodian and Malaysian/Indonesian.

So the "sweet-oudy-est" is Crassna (Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, and some parts of Thailand). The spiciest are Indian and Malaysian, followed closely by Gyrinops. The majority of Indonesian species are quite sweet, however the sweetness is heavily intermingled with camphoraceous and herbal-floral-spicy components (benzylacetone, limonene, heptanol, etc.).

For this reason, it might be a good idea to perhaps try Cambodian wood from a different source, because it should literally be the least spicy of all the different types of agarwoods.

LadySara

Basenotes Member
Dec 28, 2014
Great informative response. Thank you so
Much Taha!

I will try the Crassna you recommend. In the meantime I have some Indonesian oud chips from Arabian Oud which is rather enjoyable.

ListensClosely

Oct 13, 2014
@LadySara

You found enjoyable oud chips at Arabian Oud?? They must have some new stock in the London branch. The ones I saw there all had the resin lines painted on with a brush!

LadySara

Basenotes Member
Dec 28, 2014
I very much doubt that a reputable company would paint their oud but i can only comment on my recent purchase which was very good.

My friend who is Saudi and well experienced took a look at it and opined that it was quality oud.
Upon burning, the scent was absolutely beautiful. Refined and regal. It was Indonesian oud ��

ListensClosely

Oct 13, 2014
@LadySara

It's a tragedy but it's true I'm afraid. I discussed the painted products at length with the staff in the shop. He said that if they didn't paint it..... nobody would buy it!
Couldn't make it up.

That was over six months ago though: perhaps they decided to ship in some decent stock since then. I'll have to take a look some time.

powdernose

Basenotes Member
Jan 16, 2013
I have some Arabian Oud Cambodi wood and it is definitely painted and polished.
Surprisingly it still smells rather good.

Tarik

Jun 25, 2013
Hi

when I visited Arabian Oud and Asaq in Paris ,I found the wood of a brilliant brown, without streak.
I had never seen this before,no trusted seller(AA,EO,Oudimentary etc ) sells wood like that.

Latest News