Recommend me a summer gourmand or fruity fragrance

anoctua

Apr 9, 2021
Hi all,

I live in a dry climate which is coming into summer and I am looking for a gourmand or fruity fragrance. Must lean sweet (but not enough to give you cavities!) I don’t do florals by any stretch, particularly white florals and definitely not jasmine. I am not keen on citrus and my favourite fruits are red (I have Lost Cherry by the way… in case anyone wants to suggest this, though I don’t think I’d call it fruity).

I prefer scents that are unisex or lean slightly masculine (but I don’t want to smell like a man).

Some if my fave scents are

TF Tobacco Vanille
Kilian Angel‘s Share
Frederic Malle Music For A While
House of Oud Dates Delight
Maison Margiela By The Fireplace
Maison Margiela Jazz Club
Nasomatto Black Afgano
BDK Rouge Smoking
Thierry Mugler Angel & Angel Muse
L’Artisan Mure et Musc
Guerlain Black Perfecto LPRN

But most of these are not summer frags! So looking to add something else in a bit lighter, but still edgy.

thanks!

FiveoaksBouquet

Scented.
Basenotes Plus
Jul 16, 2004
Mugler Angel Nova ticks those boxes for me. It’s different from Angel and Angel Muse (which I also like very much) but if you like the Mugler vibe all the better.

Notes are: raspberry, litchi, rose, akigalawood, benzoin

Some reviewers find it sweet but to me, apart from its initial fruity punch it is more tart and woody, especially as it dries down.

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
Christian Dior Rouge Trafalgar. It smells like fresh berries in a glass of wine spritzer.

Belle de Jour is also fruity and sweeter than RT - Demachy was trying to achieve the effect of a pear dessert.

Last edited:

anoctua

Apr 9, 2021
Mugler Angel Nova ticks those boxes for me. It’s different from Angel and Angel Muse (which I also like very much) but if you like the Mugler vibe all the better.

Notes are: raspberry, litchi, rose, akigalawood, benzoin

Some reviewers find it sweet but to me, apart from its initial fruity punch it is more tart and woody, especially as it dries down.
I bb this one a while back and it went straight to the sales list. I don’t like florals for starters and it was overwhelmingly sweet. 😔

anoctua

Apr 9, 2021
Christian Dior Rouge Trafalgar. It smells like fresh berries in a glass of wine spritzer.

Belle de Jour is also fruity and sweeter than RT - Demachy was trying to achieve the effect of a pear dessert.
Rouge Trafalgar could be worth looking at, thank you!

anoctua

Apr 9, 2021
I like tiziana terenzi kirké in summer as a Fruity musk. It only has the Floral lily of the valley which is green element of the fragrance. I find it quite peachy with other fruits supporting
I’ll check it out, thank you! Not keen on Lily but I’ll see what the reviews have to say. 😊

tomius

Jan 7, 2020
Also from Xerjoff I own curz del sur 2 is nice milky tropical fragrance with minimal floral notes it's very nice in summer. And xerjoff la capitale it's a Fruity saffron leather with caramel and vanilla to sweeten it, I would say its more suited for winter

anoctua

Apr 9, 2021
Okay I’ve had a quick look and it looks like Rouge Trafalgar comes closest to what I am after but is too girly for me. I can see some liken it to Miss Dior which I’ve had, and gave away as it turned out to be a headache inducing, sweet disaster.

anoctua

Apr 9, 2021
Also from Xerjoff I own curz del sur 2 is nice milky tropical fragrance with minimal floral notes it's very nice in summer. And xerjoff la capitale it's a Fruity saffron leather with caramel and vanilla to sweeten it, I would say its more suited for winter
I’ve just had a quick look at that one and it looks like it’s heavily mango, which may be nice but not me. La Capitale sounds more like my wheelhouse but that’s half my issue… the frags I really like and are generally cold weather type scents!

tomius

Jan 7, 2020
I’ve just had a quick look at that one and it looks like it’s heavily mango, which may be nice but not me. La Capitale sounds more like my wheelhouse but that’s half my issue… the frags I really like and are generally cold weather type scents!
I'm in the same boat, 80% of my collection are wintery thick sweet resinous tobacco scents, I find summer scents dull to my taste. I end up mostly wearing Fougeres when it's hotter

Wingie

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 2, 2009
Okay I’ve had a quick look and it looks like Rouge Trafalgar comes closest to what I am after but is too girly for me. I can see some liken it to Miss Dior which I’ve had, and gave away as it turned out to be a headache inducing, sweet disaster.
I didn't find this one sweet at all, or girly. I remember it being quite unisex but I'm going purely from memory.

anoctua

Apr 9, 2021
I'm in the same boat, 80% of my collection are wintery thick sweet resinous tobacco scents, I find summer scents dull to my taste. I end up mostly wearing Fougeres when it's hotter
your top fougeres? maybe I need to broaden what I am looking at to see if I can find something suitable.

tomius

Jan 7, 2020
Tom ford's beau de jour, azzaro pour homme or Some chypre fragrance are summer suitable too like rogue perfumery chypre siam or geo f trumper eucrus edp. Also like the Hermes un jardin line in the summer. Bortnikoff's colognes are great summer scents too

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
Are you an Aussie or Kiwi? I live in a mostly dry heat climate as well and don't do well with the usual citrus and Eau Cologne summer scents. I also own one of your faves, LPRN Black Perfecto EDP by Guerlain.

Bal d'Afrique by Byredo smells great in dry heat and on me, it's a naturally sweet fruity scent (not red fruits, though) with a bit of amber, woods and musk. Don't blind buy, it can smell different on other people - for example - violets and woods. If you are from Australia or New Zealand and you are close to a Mecca Cosmetica store you may be able to test, in store.

Eau Duelle EDT by Diptyque not the heavier EDP and Orchidee Vanille by Van Cleef & Arpels are light and airy takes on vanilla.

Lolita Lempicka Mon Premier (gourmand oriental)- I used to wear the original LL during summer in temps up to the low 30C's and this Mon Premier version has added cherry. I do own the Mon Premier version but bought it in March so haven't tried it during summer yet!

anoctua

Apr 9, 2021
Tom ford's beau de jour, azzaro pour homme or Some chypre fragrance are summer suitable too like rogue perfumery chypre siam or geo f trumper eucrus edp. Also like the Hermes un jardin line in the summer. Bortnikoff's colognes are great summer scents too
Excellent, I’ll check these out! Thank you!
Also adding Terre de Lumiere, maybe also Eau des Baux and/or Ambre & Santal by l'Occitane, Endymion EDC by Penhaligon's, Best of Chevignon
Thanks so much, I’ll have a look at these. I’ve also stumbled across Sartorial but wondering if it may be too manly.
Sambaka by Pierre Guillaume
Thanks!
Are you an Aussie or Kiwi? I live in a mostly dry heat climate as well and don't do well with the usual citrus and Eau Cologne summer scents. I also own one of your faves, LPRN Black Perfecto EDP by Guerlain.

Bal d'Afrique by Byredo smells great in dry heat and on me, it's a naturally sweet fruity scent (not red fruits, though) with a bit of amber, woods and musk. Don't blind buy, it can smell different on other people - for example - violets and woods. If you are from Australia or New Zealand and you are close to a Mecca Cosmetica store you may be able to test, in store.

Eau Duelle EDT by Diptyque not the heavier EDP and Orchidee Vanille by Van Cleef & Arpels are light and airy takes on vanilla.

Lolita Lempicka Mon Premier (gourmand oriental)- I used to wear the original LL during summer in temps up to the low 30C's and this Mon Premier version has added cherry. I do own the Mon Premier version but bought it in March so haven't tried it during summer yet!
Aussie! I’ve nearly bb Bal D’Afrique so many times because I don’t live near any perfume counters but I’ve always chickened out. I feel like many moons ago Mecca sent me a little sample of it when I was trying to find a perfume (they used to do them in a little plastic jar on cotton wool) and I didn’t overly love it. But that was before I was this much into perfume.

I have a bottle of Eau Duelle and I don’t love it, it’s just a like. My skin amps the woody aspects and it tends to give me a headache. 😔

CuddleCat

It smells so good in here
Basenotes Plus
Aug 20, 2009
It's great to have another Aussie posting on Basenotes! I live in country Victoria so most of my perfume buying is online, too. Mecca has the roll-on version of Bal d'Afrique that's cheaper than full size bottles. If you are near a My Chemist or Chemist Warehouse store you may be able to test LL Mon Premier. Do you get lavender in Frederic Malle Music For A While? If you don't mind some lavender, Mon Gueralin EDT or EDP might be worth a sniff. I've worn the EDP during summer, there is sandalwood in it but it's nothing like the green woods in Eau Duelle. The sandalwood with the vanilla is creamy and smooth. The vanilla note isn't buttery either. There is some clean jasmine in it but it doesn't stand out on my skin. I have the EDT on order but it hasn't arrived in the mail yet. Oh, I do wear LPRN Black Perfecto EDP during summer and on warm autumn days but I avoid it on the extreme heat days! I've happily worn Bal d'Afrique on 40C dry heat days.

anoctua

Apr 9, 2021
It's great to have another Aussie posting on Basenotes! I live in country Victoria so most of my perfume buying is online, too. Mecca has the roll-on version of Bal d'Afrique that's cheaper than full size bottles. If you are near a My Chemist or Chemist Warehouse store you may be able to test LL Mon Premier. Do you get lavender in Frederic Malle Music For A While? If you don't mind some lavender, Mon Gueralin EDT or EDP might be worth a sniff. I've worn the EDP during summer, there is sandalwood in it but it's nothing like the green woods in Eau Duelle. The sandalwood with the vanilla is creamy and smooth. The vanilla note isn't buttery either. There is some clean jasmine in it but it doesn't stand out on my skin. I have the EDT on order but it hasn't arrived in the mail yet. Oh, I do wear LPRN Black Perfecto EDP during summer and on warm autumn days but I avoid it on the extreme heat days! I've happily worn Bal d'Afrique on 40C dry heat days.
I am in country Vic too! *waves*

Thats a good point about Chemist Warehouse. I will go and read the reviews for Mon Premiere. Interesting you’ve mentioned Mon Guerlain too as that one has come up numerous times for me but I always ignore it because I’m not a girly girl but maybe I need to investigate it a bit further.

I’ve ordered some samples from Libertine to try (particularly curious about Penhaligon’s and some of the Creed numbers) and in the meantime I am going to order Eau Des Baux to satisfy my want for something now. I know some describe it as cozy, so it may not be quite the summer number I am after but once I get my samples I will decide what else I might need.

purplelilac

Mar 13, 2012
I recently bought this mango scent and like it, but it appears to be very polarizing in terms of likes and dislikes.

Mango Skin Vilhelm Parfumerie​

I'd imagine DSH Perfumes (Dawn Spenser Hurwitz) would have something that you'd like too.

anoctua

Apr 9, 2021
I recently bought this mango scent and like it, but it appears to be very polarizing in terms of likes and dislikes.

Mango Skin Vilhelm Parfumerie​

I'd imagine DSH Perfumes (Dawn Spenser Hurwitz) would have something that you'd like too.
I have checked this out a couple of times.I just wish they did smaller bottles given the reviews are a bit and miss.

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
If you like strawberries then Phaedon Pluie de Soleil is worth looking at. Very fruity and sweet

Kotori

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Aug 17, 2006
You know, I’m often in the market for lighter gourmands, myself, as my summers here in the Southern US are long and hot. Here are some that might work for you:

1. Tabacco Toscano by Santa Maria Novella (light sweet tobacco reminiscent of Bvlgari Black)
2. Amor Amor by Cacharel (red fruity gourmand)
3. Meharees by L’Arbolario (like a very light version of Musc Ravageur)
4. Sira des Indes by Jean Patou (tropical fruity gourmand that reminds me of bananas foster with pears)
4. Falling in Love by Philosophy (kind of a lighter Mure et Musc type)
5. Un Jardin Sur Le Nil for a refreshing mango note

anoctua

Apr 9, 2021
Not really sweet, but maybe Philosykos by Diptyque?
or
Eau de Rhubarbe Ecarlate by Hermès
Funny you mention this I was just reading reviews or Philosykos and Debaser last night!

I’ll have a look for the Hermes too, trouble is you can’t get a lot of Hermes here!

Edited to say the Hermes sounds PERFECT and I can get it here. But a quick look at reviews tells me it has no silage and doesn’t last. 😔

Last edited:

ImaFedec

Sep 12, 2019
Edited to say the Hermes sounds PERFECT and I can get it here. But a quick look at reviews tells me it has no silage and doesn’t last. 😔
It is not a performing monster, you're right. But it is more the longevity the issue here, the first hour or so it performs rather well (and strongly).
Actually, on that same vein, Philosykos is not a performing beast either. Debaser I do not know, heard a lot of good from it, creamier I believe.
Maybe give Bleecker Street by Bond n9 a try. Strong performing with fruity notes (blueberry, I believe).

N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer

Retired
Basenotes Plus
Jul 1, 2011
I love 1270 but also found this a terrible performer. Huge fan of pineapple and I love it but it’s an expensive bottle for such a fleeting fragrance.
I agree the performance isn't that good. Another one that is worth looking at is Idole from Lubin. It has a similar feeling to 1270 but a little less fruity. The performance is better though.

Latest News