Recommend Me a Fragrance

luckystripes

Nov 11, 2021
Hello!

Thanks to some samples and decants, I've found my fragrance taste leans towards something sweet, woody, or both. I really like scents with vanilla and other mildly sweet notes throughout, and I find bourbon vanilla to be one of my favourites. I originally thought I would be a citrus guy, and I do like some citrus top notes, but I find sport colognes and overly-citrus fragrances aren't my style.

I'm a pretty young guy and also very new to the fragrance world, so any pointers would be a great help! My current favourites are AdP Mandorlo di Sicilia and Givenchy Gentleman Intense. If there is anything you recommend, I'd also love to know if there's a decant available somewhere reliable. Thank you!

Brooks Otterlake

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Feb 12, 2019
If you like bourbon vanilla your best value option is Mercedes-Benz Club Black, which, in my side-by-side testing, compared very favorably to premium options like Indult Tihota and Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille (I found it a little more wearable than either because it's not quite as "foody" feeling).

Ken_Russell

Jan 21, 2006
Also adding among others, at least to a possible (re) testing list before any further decision, in no particular order:
Jaipur Homme EDP, Eau des Baux, Aramis Havana, Mugler Pure Malt and/or Pure Havane, several Dior Homme flankers including Intense and Parfum, Guerlain LIDGE, Rochas Man, Sculpture by Nikos

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
Memoirs of a Trespasser is a great smoky vanilla scent from Imaginary Authors. Not crazy expensive as niche frags go, and performance is quite strong so you'll get your money's worth. But definitely sample first. I picked up a tiny 1 ml decant from theperfumedcourt, but you can also buy samples direct from the IA site.

Ken_Russell already mentioned it, but I'll second L'Occitane's Eau des Baux as another lovely woody/vanilla with great cypress top note and tonka/tobacco in the base. Reasonably priced at $65 for 75 ml. I wore this last night; great scent. You should be able to get a cheap decant from theperfumedcourt if it's still in stock.

perfumingandstuff

Mar 14, 2021
Not sure if it can't be pulled off if "pretty young" but one of my all time favourites is...Commes des Garcons: Wonderwood. First time I got a whiff it, I knew it's my kind of scent. Don't recall any sweetness in its composition. Just pure wood, haha.

Meh, might order a decant of it myself.

Mr G

Feb 29, 2012
Maybe check these out too:
1. Cologne of the Missions Le Couvent Maison de Parfum (cheapsh)
2. Maison Margiela By the Fireplace (designer price)
3. Xerjoff Naxos (pricey niche)

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
I am 16. Definitely should have been clearer, sorry!

You're gonna end up smelling like someone's dad or grandfather if you follow some of these suggestions.

I'm gonna recommend trying Guerlain L'Homme Idéal EDT, L'Homme Idéal L'Intense and Prada Luna Rossa Black for young smelling frags that not eIveryone else is wearing. Just make sure you sample a lot of before buying. You need to be careful to avoid smelling either too mature or similar to what your friends are wearing. For now you might want to avoid older releases as well.

If you want to be unique and go old school try Guerlain Habit Rouge EDP (NOT the EDT). It's vanilla heaven and while it's really old-school it's not a big seller and very few people wear it, so no one would think you smell mature/old and you'd definitely be very unique among the crowd. Take that with a grain of salt though, your mileage may vary. Another old-school scent I adore is Eau d'Hermes. Just like the former there's nothing remotely similar and almost no one wears this so it doesn't smell dated to young people these days. Both of these have citrus top notes but they only last like 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Toxicon

May 29, 2021
You're gonna end up smelling like someone's dad or grandfather if you follow some of these suggestions.

I'm gonna recommend trying Guerlain L'Homme Idéal EDT, L'Homme Idéal L'Intense and Prada Luna Rossa Black for young smelling frags that not eIveryone else is wearing. Just make sure you sample a lot of before buying. You need to be careful to avoid smelling either too mature or similar to what your friends are wearing. For now you might want to avoid older releases as well.

If you want to be unique and go old school try Guerlain Habit Rouge EDP (NOT the EDT). It's vanilla heaven and while it's really old-school it's not a big seller and very few people wear it, so no one would think you smell mature/old and you'd definitely be very unique among the crowd. Take that with a grain of salt though, your mileage may vary. Another old-school scent I adore is Eau d'Hermes. Just like the former there's nothing remotely similar and almost no one wears this so it doesn't smell dated to young people these days. Both of these have citrus top notes but they only last like 5 minutes.
Some good points here, although I think what smells "dated" is entirely in the eye (or nose) of the beholder. I get what you're saying about Habit Rouge and Eau d'Hermes being less common, and perhaps old fashioned in a different way than things like Havana or Jaipur, but any of those scents could smell "old" to someone depending on their expectations and personal associations... or they might smell perfectly timeless to someone else.

My advice to OP is just to use these recommendations as a starting point for further exploration. Read reviews here and on fragrantica, get samples of anything that sounds appealing, and be willing to test your boundaries just a little bit. As you start to sniff around and get more familiar with a range of scents, you might find your tastes shift and expand.

Airegin

Sep 25, 2017
Some good points here, although I think what smells "dated" is entirely in the eye (or nose) of the beholder. I get what you're saying about Habit Rouge and Eau d'Hermes being less common, and perhaps old fashioned in a different way than things like Havana or Jaipur, but any of those scents could smell "old" to someone depending on their expectations and personal associations... or they might smell perfectly timeless to someone else.

Yeah, that's why I said take it with a grain of salt. If someone's uncle or dad or grandfather smelt similar then it smells old, that association will always stay with most people. I personally get this with fougères and 80s powerhouses but I do my best to get over it. It's much less likely to happen with Habit Rouge EDP and Eau d'Hermes because they're so uncommon and there's nothing similar.

Ed Wardian

Oct 28, 2020
The Prada L'Homme line is versatile and fits the modern mold.... They all wear light and garner complements... If you are open to iris, violet, ambery sweetness that is tastefully conservative and prim, check it out.

prada.jpg

Hmm, vanilla/citrus... Guerlain Habit Rouge L'eau flanker, a conventional take on the traditional Habit Rouge minus the star notes of leather, rose, lemon... Here hazelnut, bitter orange, vanilla with jasmine brings it to the present yet still embracing the ghostly essence of the past... Not too far from the grapefruit, almond vanilla accord of Ideal Cologne or a Shalimar flanker.

habit.jpg

Montale Oudmazing is a fruity vanilla "oud".. Like a juicy pop hit that continues to hum forever, mainly a sweet cloud of pear, citrus vanilla that leans both ways. A clubber of a scent, figuratively speaking, in the general wheelhouse of the buzzed Initio Oud for Greatness (another ghostly oud fragrance that is a big breasted hug of fruity, floral, woody, vanilla).

Oudmazing Montale.jpg

All available at discounters at reasonable prices... $35 -$75 range or less for 50ml-60ml.

Yes, importantly take heed to the points above. They apply to anyone 's evolving palette of notes... I know mine is still spinning at 50 with a personal journey of 34 years, for I'm just discovering the niche aspect and the forgotten vintage gems.

Gee, I can remember my first big independent find at 16 years being Hugo Boss Sport... Surely, time does flies and amazingly many varying scent-notes join you for the memory ride...

PS Fragrancebuy.ca is pretty accommodating... Gary, Vandana and staff are wonderful... Shoot them an email for samples, decant sites, suggestions within their framework.

Last edited:

Bavard

Wearing Perfume Right Now
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2015
It's interesting to see a 16-year-old posting. I've helped perfume my now 16-year-old son a few times, and something lighter seems to work best.

He's gotten pushback from Polo, Polo Black, and Boss No. 1, but Egoiste seemed to work fine, I think because it's too light to bother anyone.

cheapimitation

May 15, 2015

LOL, I've not tried the Guerlain's you mention but I'm in my 30s and I still struggle with Guerlain smelling old fashion for me (even newer releases) but your recommendations make sense given that OP likes vanilla.

Please stay away from Sauvage in any iteration.

How about MFK Grand Soir? It's vanilla prominent but very modern. Sometimes a bit cloying or sweet for my tastes but really nice in winter.

Margiela Replica line is a good rec, not super expensive or challenging but also not something everyone is going to be wearing.

hednic

Oct 25, 2007
Montale Oudmazing is a fruity vanilla "oud".. Like a juicy pop hit that continues to hum forever, mainly a sweet cloud of pear, citrus vanilla that leans both ways. A clubber of a scent, figuratively speaking, in the general wheelhouse of the buzzed Initio Oud for Greatness (another ghostly oud fragrance that is a big breasted hug of fruity, floral, woody, vanilla).

oudmazing-montale-jpg.175620
This is a good suggestion!

Buzzlepuff

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Dec 27, 2005
For a 16 year old who wants something niche you might try Jicky edp from Guerlain. It was created with a young person in mind - Jicky. I also think Dior Sauvage Very Cool Spray works well for a younger person. Lalique pour Homme is also mild but very non citrus/fresh - kind of a light leather.

GoldWineMemories

Nov 22, 2019
For a 16 year old who wants something niche you might try Jicky edp from Guerlain. It was created with a young person in mind - Jicky. I also think Dior Sauvage Very Cool Spray works well for a younger person. Lalique pour Homme is also mild but very non citrus/fresh - kind of a light leather.
Jicky EDP is a wonderful suggestion -- it's so old that it's more avant-garde than most things made today, and perfect for modern times. No "grandma/grandpa" associations, unless you inherently associate lavender as such.

Bis100

Aug 7, 2019
My 16 year old son wears Michael Kors For Men.

He reaches for many scents in my collection, but none seem to suit him quite as solid as the Michael Kors for Men does. (vintage version for me, current for him)

Andy the frenchy

Sep 16, 2018
Parfums de Marly Layton.
+1 !! Since OP is 16yo, this time, I can't agree more with that recommendation!
Was going to suggest this one too (edp)
L;homme ideal by Guerlain is also a good and cheaper option (again, i'd recommend the edp, but try all out).
Ideal EDP +1
If you like vanilla and wood I would suggest, This is Him or Just Rock! for Him, (Zadig & Voltaire).
+1

Other overly sweet recs, that I would recommend to anyone in college (or younger):

Tom Ford - Noir Extreme
Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
Dior - Fahrenheit Parfum
Costume National - Soul
Montale - Starry Nights
Mugler - A*Men (original)
Armani - Code Absolu

tspencer

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Jul 12, 2016
Tam Dao EDP (fantastic cedar+sandalwood)
Jazz Club (woody, boozy and a kind of smoky tobacco)
Creed - Sublime Vanille (this fragrance I typically use to layer with other scents, but by itself it's still great)
Some scents from one of my favorite artisans:
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Atomic Age Bay Rum (barrel aged)
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Sangre de Drago (by itself or layered by Bvlgari Man in Black, Sangre de Drago is like nothing else and it's impossible to deny it's very, very good)
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Cavendish
Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Chocolate Bourbon
Others that are just nose pleasing or interesting are: Coconut Bay with Lime, Solstice, Clown Fruit (seasonal)

With PAA, the aftershaves are about as strong as an EDT. And some of these I prefer the aftershave over the EDP. You can order cheap PAA samples on their website. I recommend queuing up a like 15 different sample scents that you think appeal to you based on the descriptions to make the shipping worth while. I think PAA is one of the more interesting modern fragrance makers in that they mix the hobby of classic shaving. Their scents evolved over time to become of a quality that I put on par with what you would buy in departments stores.

They are even not afraid to just plain have fun and make scents that are clearly not trying to take themselves seriously, but are remarkably wearable nonetheless like their seasonal pumpkin (Atomic Pumpkin), candy cane (Cane), fruit cake (Keepsake Fruitcake), cider (Ciderhouse 5) or gingerbread (I, Gingerbread Man) or egg nog (Space Nog). At one time they even made a scent that smelled like Ramen. Yeah, Ramen. LOL

PASCUAL

Jun 6, 2011
Hello!

Thanks to some samples and decants, I've found my fragrance taste leans towards something sweet, woody, or both. I really like scents with vanilla and other mildly sweet notes throughout, and I find bourbon vanilla to be one of my favourites. I originally thought I would be a citrus guy, and I do like some citrus top notes, but I find sport colognes and overly-citrus fragrances aren't my style.

I'm a pretty young guy and also very new to the fragrance world, so any pointers would be a great help! My current favourites are AdP Mandorlo di Sicilia and Givenchy Gentleman Intense. If there is anything you recommend, I'd also love to know if there's a decant available somewhere reliable. Thank you!
John Varvatos
Dior homme Intense
Ferragamo Uomo

Latest News