Recently Discontinued/ Due To Be Discontinued Fragrances......???

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
ZC, I did not know that.:confused:

It's better to let people find out on their own, because sticking a neon sign on something being pulled from production invites the hoarders and flippers to monopolize a scent and take it out of reach faster than it would naturally due to dwindling supply.

Some of the folks on this very forum subsidize their niche perfume purchases by buying DC'd designers low and selling high. I'm not gonna tell somebody what is right or wrong for them personally, but neither am I gonna help them make the hobby harder to enjoy for me either lol.

Bloodhounded

Mar 7, 2020
I've come across a rumor that Guerlain's Nahema has been discontinued due to IFRA's new 49th Amendment. Please note that I do not have a reliable source for this. Does anyone know whether this is true? You see, my ring of spies has not yet managed to penetrate the house of Guerlain (not for lack of trying).

BetsyMeszaros

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 5, 2010
I first heard this 2 or 3 years ago. I have found it impossible to get Nahema at any department store not even on a special order. I buy in the Philadelphia/New York area. It is just hard to find. I did buy some from Beauty Encounters about 18 months ago when they had a sale of some kind. I felt lucky to find it.

Someone said you can still get it directly from Guerlain in Paris but that is not something I would find it easy to do so don't know if that is true or not.

Last edited:

david

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 7, 2005
I believe Nahema has was discontinued several years ago. I will check out the Guerlain website.

david

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 7, 2005
I first hard this 2 or 3 years ago. I have found it impossible to get Nahema at any department store not even on a special order. I buy in the Philadelphia/New York area. It is just hard to find. I did buy some Beauty Encounters about 18 months ago when they had a sale of some kind. I felt lucky to find it.

Someone said you can still get it directly from Guerlain in Paris but that is not something I would find it easy to do so don't know if that is true or not.

I just checked the website and it seems as if it is now available. I'm certain this must be a re-issue, (it's in the bee flacon so that suggests it could be). Price is €140.

saminlondon

Basenotes Dependent
Aug 25, 2011
It's always been in the catalogue and is not discontinued. There's just been out of stock recently.

As for the situation in the US I couldn't say.

david

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 7, 2005
Just confirmed that LVMH has killed Jean Patou.The whole line-up /company gone. Disgusting. Why take it over and then abruptly kill it. ?

PStoller

I’m not old, I’m vintage.
Basenotes Plus
Aug 1, 2019
Just confirmed that LVMH has killed Jean Patou. The whole line-up/company gone. Disgusting. Why take it over and then abruptly kill it?

So they can use the name "Joy" for the Dior perfume.

I agree. It’s disgusting.

LVMH is using the Patou name for a clothing line, which is what Patou was originally. However, the true Patou was legendary haute couture, while the new Patou is unremarkable RTW.

My hope is that LVMH has, or will have, bigger plans for Patou after the pandemic. After all, products designed for going out are harder to sell when everyone is staying in. We’ll see.

david

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 7, 2005
I've just heard from a reliable source that Vetiver Extreme from Guerlain has been discontinued. Maybe this is already common knowledge, but I thought I would mention anyway.

starace

Jan 11, 2009
What is the official word on Kouros? Is it only unavailable in the US? Only e-retailers have it, and it would seem absurd for them to axe it, considering how popular it has been in Europe.

david

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 7, 2005
What is the official word on Kouros? Is it only unavailable in the US? Only e-retailers have it, and it would seem absurd for them to axe it, considering how popular it has been in Europe.

Surely not !!! Alarm bells !!!

Dantheman123

Basenotes Member
Dec 3, 2018
Acqua Di Gio Parfum for men discontinued. I'm glad I got a 6oz bottle on fragrance.net. Excellent price of 140.00.

Also, Mont Blanc Skywalker or something, discontinued.

It's hit and miss with so much misinformation on the net.

Zgb

Basenotes Dependent
Jan 20, 2009
Is Gucci by Gucci Pour Homme, now known as Gucci Pour Homme, really discontinued?

gucci-gucci-by-gucci-pour-homme-edt-90-ml_4b44cda1.jpeg

Mudassir

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 17, 2007

Just perusing the boards after a while. The rumors about Kouros getting axed have been around for as long as discussion boards have been around. But then again, one day the rumors might turn out to be true :)

ripjean

Basenotes Junkie
Feb 9, 2014
That was a real keeper! :)
During lockdown last year, a UK based shop obviously was doing a deep stock take, as Fahrenheit Absolute and Aqua Fahrenheit (Splash & Spray) suddenly appeared on their website for around £50 for 100ml and 125ml respectively. They also had 20% off so picked up a couple of bottles each for £40 a bottle. Was quite happy with that!

Mar 4, 2022
I recently found out, (quite by chance) that Fahrenheit Absolute is being discontinued. This really surprised me because it's not that old.
Perhaps because there are now more new releases than ever before and stores do not have the shelf space....(?)...I am assuming that discontinuing too, will be hapening more than ever before.
Does anyone know of other fragrances slated for discontinuation ?
I am always extremely grateful for basenoters help on this issue !

I wish basenotes would start a sticky for "Recently Discontinued Fragrances".
Chanel Coco Parfum: I can't find it anywhere in the US. Chanel.com says it is sold out. They cancelled my pending order in January, saying they don't know when they might get it back in the US. It is on the Chanel-France website, but they can't ship to the US. It isn't on the Great Britain site either. If a friend goes to Europe, I'll have them bring me back some bottles.
I'm looking on Ebay--I don't want to lose this fragrance!

Mar 4, 2022
I think this is the way to go. Don't over complicate things. If we have a warning from a member or a suspicion, then anyone concerned about that particular fragrance can further investigate. Things do vary from country to country....for example I was recently told that Gucci Envy is still manufactured in very small quantities for the italian market, soley available in italy with perhaps some ending up on the internet. Things are complicated enough...let's not make them even more complicated. I am grateful for any warning/ tip-off however vague. I will further investigate the claim myself. I think we should all be prepared to do this. Sometimes within the industry itself things are not 100% and staff are ill informed. Recently in Berlin I was informed that Eau Noire ws being phased out to make way for a new fragrance. When I phoned the head office in Paris the person I spoke to was not even aware of this. It is a mine field, but suspicions are a good start to take things further and make individual investigations....
Coco parfum isn't available in the US right now. I tried to order it on the website, and my order was cancelled after 4 months and I was told they didn't know when they might get more in the US. Are they limiting production, or is there a logistical/supply issue? Plenty of Eau de Parfum, but it just isn't the same!

BetsyMeszaros

Basenotes Dependent
Sep 5, 2010
Chanel Coco Parfum: I can't find it anywhere in the US. Chanel.com says it is sold out. They cancelled my pending order in January, saying they don't know when they might get it back in the US. It is on the Chanel-France website, but they can't ship to the US. It isn't on the Great Britain site either. If a friend goes to Europe, I'll have them bring me back some bottles.
I'm looking on Ebay--I don't want to lose this fragrance!
I saw Chanel Coco in Boscovs Department Store yesterday. It was the Plymouth Meeting, PA store. You can google Boscovs and probably order on line.

david

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 7, 2005
The only trouble is that often things are reported as discontinued and it turns out to be untrue, how could these be verified before being reported?
By contacting the house/brand in a formal manner, eg email/contacting the brand website.
Yes, of course rest stock often reappers even years later in various locations around the globe...but this can only be seen as good news for us genuine collectors.

david

Basenotes Dependent
Jun 7, 2005
Jacques Bogart - Arabian Nights and Riviera Nights have been discontinued. There is still plenty of stock available online at reasonable prices.

Varanis Ridari

The Scented Devil
Basenotes Plus
Oct 17, 2012
Jacques Bogart - Arabian Nights and Riviera Nights have been discontinued. There is still plenty of stock available online at reasonable prices.
These were limited editions for the Middle East initially, and never part of the standard lineup. They're so weird compared to the usual Bogarts too lol

(Not a -bad- weird, but not love-at-first-sniff either).

lauermar

Jul 8, 2004
You can always tell it's really discontinued when the following happens:

1. There's no more left in the gray market pipeline and E-tailers. The caption states out of stock, discontinued, or please email me when it's available. But the company never does.

2. You search for it on eBay and Amazon, only to find scalpers selling half used bottles for $200 and NIB bottles for $400 plus. These were perfumes that once were affordabley priced below $100 and some sold in drugstores. Recent examples: Chloe Narcise, Intimately Beckham Woman, Donna Karan Signature, etc.

3. Scammers set up websites advertising low prices for it. You purchase from them and get billed but never receive it. A Google search for the website finds the company link missing, and emails to customer service come back as non-deliverable. You have to call your credit card company to dispute the charge.

4. A Google search turns up articles bemoaning its demise. Your search also returns perfume companies that specialize in reviving versions of long lost perfumes.

alexmate

Nov 3, 2008
What the deal with John Varvatos Oud? A local drug chain has had it forever for a steal but I only bought one. Also bought a Dark Rebel Rider for an even bigger steal. Online prices are skyrocketing, especially for the Oud.
Seem to have been discontinued last year I think. Lots of old stock of original in the UK. We said the same about Gucci Envy though, but I can't see any of the range ever reaching the Envy price range though.

Latest News

Whatever your taste in perfume, we've got you covered...

catalogue your collection, keep track of your perfume wish-list, log your daily fragrance wears, review your latest finds, seek out long-lost scented loves, keep track of the latest perfume news, find your new favourite fragrance, and discuss perfume with like-minded people from all over the world...