Recent decent oakmoss fragrances?

Jack Hunter

Jul 29, 2009
Glad you like them, Eucris is something special. I find it just lacks the fresh spiciness of the Edt and is more focused on the great mossy drydown. The longevity of the Edt is not good but those top notes that are lacking in the Edp are something special. In the new year I will get the Edt and wear it with the Edp I have and experience the best of both worlds. Ahhh the life of a basenoter is never easy, why do we go to such lengths,

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
Glad you like them, Eucris is something special. I find it just lacks the fresh spiciness of the Edt and is more focused on the great mossy drydown. The longevity of the Edt is not good but those top notes that are lacking in the Edp are something special. In the new year I will get the Edt and wear it with the Edp I have and experience the best of both worlds. Ahhh the life of a basenoter is never easy, why do we go to such lengths,

Why do we indeed? Just for the smell of it.

The EDP is so strong I oversprayed by accident when I first got the bottle. I put on 3 sprays which is at least 1 spray too many....and boy did that last. Two really is enough but its misleading because the sprayer doesn’t dispense much.

Did you get the Z14?

Yeah I’ve had it for a while now but honestly found nothing special about it. I got a resinous liquorice note when I first sprayed it mixed with some pine which reminded me of Polo but not much else. No cinnamon and no oakmoss...at all. Maybe its a newish bottle, I wouldn’t know if this is how Z14 is meant to smell or if its fallen into the reform pit from its glory days.

Man Of The World

Apr 3, 2017

I really enjoyed the edt but didn't like the splash bottle. It was a right sod trying to decant it into a sprayer as well. Is the EDP much stronger.

Jack Hunter

Jul 29, 2009
I do love having the occasional splash fragrances as I find they wear and project in a more intimate way instead of ruthless projection like a lot of Edt's. You can splash your neck and checks and the scent radiates off you without overwhelming you.

Yes the Edp of Eucris is very very potent in that one or two sprays and your good for the rest of the day. What is lost though imo in the gain of great longevity is those fresh top notes that are muted in the Edp. The Edp is more heavy, though the Edt has poor longevity. So it's swings and roundabouts and that's why I want the Edt so the fragrance in having both is complete so to speak.

rum

Basenotes Plus
Mar 17, 2011
I think plenty have been mentioned already, but one I think that is missing from this thread is Houbigant's Fougere Royale, which is a fairly recent re-release (2010). It's definitely not an oakmoss bomb that others have mentioned, but it deserves a mention I suppose.

Dantheman123

Dec 3, 2018
Oakmoss? Yes, I love it.
Try Rogue Perfumery, Mousse Illuminee. An oakmoss lovers dream. Green, mossy, sumptuous forest like scents in a bottle. Bold stuff by Manuel Cross. Definitely a collectors item.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
I think plenty have been mentioned already, but one I think that is missing from this thread is Houbigant's Fougere Royale, which is a fairly recent re-release (2010). It's definitely not an oakmoss bomb that others have mentioned, but it deserves a mention I suppose.
Thanks, that's a scent that has eluded me for some time.

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
EL by Arquiste is a 2016 release and has decent oakmoss in the fougere drydown. Scentwise, it has elements of both Kouros and Antaeus. Stylistically, the top is a bit perfumey and chypre-esque but it settles into a well executed fougere base.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
EL by Arquiste is a 2016 release and has decent oakmoss in the fougere drydown. Scentwise, it has elements of both Kouros and Antaeus. Stylistically, the top is a bit perfumey and chypre-esque but it settles into a well executed fougere base.
Good one, I forgot about this. I never really gave it much time but felt like it might have veered in to slightly powdery territory in the drydown, which made me feel like it was a tad feminine. I will have to revist my sample, if it hasn't gone off. Definitely one of the more interesting 'retro' scents I've come across though and a good rec.

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah, I remember what I disliked about El. After about half an hour it turns in to a slightly weird kind of sweet-floral fragrance, akin to (but much less pleasant than) Fleurs du Male.

Sheik Yerbouti

oakmoss fiend
Basenotes Plus
Jul 20, 2017
Yeah, I remember what I disliked about El. After about half an hour it turns in to a slightly weird kind of sweet-floral fragrance, akin to (but much less pleasant than) Fleurs du Male.

That’s weird. I’ve never got a Fleur du Male vibe from it but I think the herbal aromatics and aldehydes could be working to mask that. If you make that connection though I could see not wanting to wear it.

I usually spray this on skin, but after trying on a strip today I get the FdM connection a tad more on first spray. Could be some shared indoles.

EL isn’t oakmoss forward until the drydown kicks in but I get how what comes before could be challenging with the combination of herbals, aldehydes and animalics.

Foamywax

May 2, 2013
Wore the new version of xeryus it's fantastic although I don't see oakmoss listed yet it has that oakmossy feel to it.
Recent bottle of insense ultramarine has it listed..

slpfrsly

Basenotes Plus
Basenotes Plus
Apr 1, 2019
That’s weird. I’ve never got a Fleur du Male vibe from it but I think the herbal aromatics and aldehydes could be working to mask that. If you make that connection though I could see not wanting to wear it.

I usually spray this on skin, but after trying on a strip today I get the FdM connection a tad more on first spray. Could be some shared indoles.

EL isn’t oakmoss forward until the drydown kicks in but I get how what comes before could be challenging with the combination of herbals, aldehydes and animalics.
Your description is spot on, it's aldehydes mixed with indolic florals. I also had Amouage Gold Man on the other hand, which didn't help in terms of slightly pissy florals, but I haven't changed my mind on El. Unfortunately. It's not something I could envisage a man wearing, and in fact gives me something of a smell memory back to early childhood and women's perfume that was both too strong and not pleasant to smell. It's a nice idea with the oakmoss - I think Heeley does something similar-yet-differnt with his chypre fragrance - in a more modernised form but the whole detracts from the part with this one, in my opinion.

Latest News